Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Rubellavator posted:

Why did ippo shave his own head this time? I mean he probably could've got there sooner if he had just shaved kimura's head. He didnt just buzz it either, he got it clean and put some shine on it.

Probably because he'd feel guilty about shaving Kimura's head without permission while he lays half-dead, so shaving his own is some attempt at appeasement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that shine is the light from his burning japanese spirit

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tbp posted:

i mean takamuras is significantly harder by all accounts

that said i dislike the shaved head!! i hope it goes away soon!!

Takamura has to lose around 40 pounds off his natural weight. So it make sense his view is just "Weight Loss is just something you do."

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

Takamura has to lose around 40 pounds off his natural weight. So it make sense his view is just "Weight Loss is just something you do."

It's by all accounts doable, but REALLY loving hard and requires a rigorous and strict diet and training regimen with some clinical weight cuts. You'd need an entire team dedicated to helping you do that to even do it effectively let alone at all. And that's TODAY with the knowledge and tech we have NOW.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

doomrider7 posted:

It's by all accounts doable, but REALLY loving hard and requires a rigorous and strict diet and training regimen with some clinical weight cuts. You'd need an entire team dedicated to helping you do that to even do it effectively let alone at all. And that's TODAY with the knowledge and tech we have NOW.

Oh yeah, It's just that Takamura has been doing it for like 10 years now. (And he is finally moving up in Weight Classes so it's going to get easier on him.)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I always really liked that bit in the lead up to the Hawk fight because it was the first time I can remember seeing him struggle with anything. Think all his fights until then were relatively effortless cakewalks.

The flow of time is convoluted in Japan so it's not clear how long any of them have been doing this or at what rate people are aging, so I don't see any kind of exterior justification about why this weight cut is so much worse for Kimura than anything we've heard about before, unless like Takamura says he's just losing motivation (and matches :thurman: ) and this is all a prelude to retirement. I mean the fucker can't walk the day before the match, we're not expecting this fight to go well for him anyway right?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Takes No Damage posted:

I always really liked that bit in the lead up to the Hawk fight because it was the first time I can remember seeing him struggle with anything. Think all his fights until then were relatively effortless cakewalks.

The flow of time is convoluted in Japan so it's not clear how long any of them have been doing this or at what rate people are aging, so I don't see any kind of exterior justification about why this weight cut is so much worse for Kimura than anything we've heard about before, unless like Takamura says he's just losing motivation (and matches :thurman: ) and this is all a prelude to retirement. I mean the fucker can't walk the day before the match, we're not expecting this fight to go well for him anyway right?

It's been a few years in the manga itself. like... 4 I think?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's been 5 years since Takamura's fight with Hawk, and 9 since Ippo first watched one of his matches and it's been 13 years since his debut.

As for Kimura and Aoki it's been 11 years since their debut.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 12, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I thought Takamura wasn't cutting as much weight anymore but he's still middleweight so I guess he still has the worse cut.

Kimura is getting older so this poo poo is probably getting harder. I think he's had some botched cuts before too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dias posted:

I thought Takamura wasn't cutting as much weight anymore but he's still middleweight so I guess he still has the worse cut.

Takamura's cutting was at its worst when he went to Jr Middleweight in prep for the chance to fight Hawk.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Takamura's cutting was at its worst when he went to Jr Middleweight in prep for the chance to fight Hawk.

Yeah, Takamura has had the benefit that as he advances each weight class, his weight cutting becomes easier.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's the craziest poo poo. Takamura had to fight... what, like 4 or 5 classes under his natural weight? Like I dunno how tall he is, but I remember his natural weight is somewhere in the 88-90 kg benchmark. He's currently, what, 15 kg under that weight or something?

All in order to be able to compete at the level it was required at the beginning, which drained him of stamina and probably did a number on his health for the short and long term. And dude is still so loving good that the first fight he had that gave him a challenge, he still loving took it home.

And that's why this assholish, perverted, tomfoolish motherfucker is the real star of HNI.

:allears:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Wark Say posted:

That's the craziest poo poo. Takamura had to fight... what, like 4 or 5 classes under his natural weight? Like I dunno how tall he is, but I remember his natural weight is somewhere in the 88-90 kg benchmark. He's currently, what, 15 kg under that weight or something?

All in order to be able to compete at the level it was required at the beginning, which drained him of stamina and probably did a number on his health for the short and long term. And dude is still so loving good that the first fight he had that gave him a challenge, he still loving took it home.

And that's why this assholish, perverted, tomfoolish motherfucker is the real star of HNI.

To be fair, he'll also have a size and power advantage. This is actually a big source of controversy in MMA circle discussions.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Apropos of nothing, just a logical thought extension, canonically, Ippo is at least as strong as Takamura at some nebulous weight, based on the arm-wrestling match that broke the table.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 13, 2019

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Omg that scene is TIMELESS. loving Aoki getting destroyed and then fixed in the background is the best. COME ONNNNNN

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

Takamura is a Natural Heavyweight. Which puts him at the very least 190+ pounds at the timeframe this is happening for his natural weight. To go down to Middleweight his class for most of the series and the one he started with. He has to get down to 160 pounds, when he moved down to Jr Middle for Hawk he had to go down further to 154. Which was a full 6 classes below his natural weight.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

Takamura is a Natural Heavyweight. Which puts him at the very least 190+ pounds at the timeframe this is happening for his natural weight. To go down to Middleweight his class for most of the series and the one he started with. He has to get down to 160 pounds, when he moved down to Jr Middle for Hawk he had to go down further to 154. Which was a full 6 classes below his natural weight.

The surreal thing is that you see MMA guys do stuff like that ALL THE TIME. Depending on how it pans out, you'll have a SUBSTANTIAL size, strength, and power advantage but at the cost of stamina depending on the how the cut goes. It's considered a major point of contention because of said advantages along with the simple fact that it's incredibly taxing on the body. Like, it's doable and in his case it'll get progressively easier since he's moving up weight classes, but if anything it makes his body of work look less impressive since it points to a bigger guy moving down to smash on smaller guys.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

so, standard takamura

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

doomrider7 posted:

The surreal thing is that you see MMA guys do stuff like that ALL THE TIME. Depending on how it pans out, you'll have a SUBSTANTIAL size, strength, and power advantage but at the cost of stamina depending on the how the cut goes. It's considered a major point of contention because of said advantages along with the simple fact that it's incredibly taxing on the body. Like, it's doable and in his case it'll get progressively easier since he's moving up weight classes, but if anything it makes his body of work look less impressive since it points to a bigger guy moving down to smash on smaller guys.

Well this is largely just because Takamura was born in Japan. Japan pretty much does not have any boxers above middleweight. People bigger than that normally go to different sports and also keep it self fulfilling by cutting weight to be in smaller classes cause they can't find opponents for their proper weight.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Takamura only did it because there is pretty much no heavyweight class in Japan. He could’ve gone overseas like basically every other boxer would do, but instead he sits in Japan because the author refuses to let him leave it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Asuron posted:

Takamura only did it because there is pretty much no heavyweight class in Japan. He could’ve gone overseas like basically every other boxer would do, but instead he sits in Japan because the author refuses to let him leave it.

I thought the issue is that Kamogawa refuses to let him fight as a heavyweight until he finishes his crazy loving goal to conquer all the weight classes towards there. And he's not going to leave the old man because his entire reason to BE a boxer is for Kamogawa.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Was the weight class thing Kamogawa? That sounds like something Takamura would come up with, but it's been so long I don't remember where the idea came from, or why he was all the way down in Jr Middle or whatever when the series starts.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure the "All them belts!" thing is pure Takamura.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Taka put that on himself. Its his personal conquest

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Was all Takamura. Which if he had been serious about it, like other characters point out he would have gone overseas to train against people in those weight classes because they basically don’t exist in Japan.

He still gets his cool fights and he is a good character, but if the author wanted to show him reaching the top of all weight classes in a way that makes sense, he would be living overseas like Volg and practicing against people who actually fight in that weight class. I mean hell they bring up that exact problem when he fought Bison and Hawk, almost no experience at all with people who hit just as hard as him.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

He was also like 17 and separated from his family etc so it's not like he can just take off and train overseas. The gym doesnt seem to have that kinda money either.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

That Works posted:

He was also like 17 and separated from his family etc so it's not like he can just take off and train overseas. The gym doesnt seem to have that kinda money either.

Volg also had no money and basically no support but managed it. Once he beat Bryan Hawk there was really no excuse for him not to if he wanted the other weight classes

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Volg managed it because a trainer that lived Overseas became interested in him.

Takamura did not have a chance at it until beat Hawk. But once he beat Hawk, he could force all challengers to come to him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The secret strategy Kimura needs to adopt was actually revealed in this chapter. He needs to jack off. With enough Yamato Damashii he can probably drain at least a kilogram.

edit: Why is Kimura's apartment full of crickets

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 14, 2019

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

The secret strategy Kimura needs to adopt was actually revealed in this chapter. He needs to jack off. With enough Yamato Damashii he can probably drain at least a kilogram.

edit: Why is Kimura's apartment full of crickets

He hosed up when feeding his dragonfish

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Lot of dicks these past two chapters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Speaking of which the last chapter was not linked

http://hni-scantrad.com/eng/lel/?manga=Hajime+no+Ippo&chapter=Chapter+1284#page=1

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thought his opponent was going to double reverse psych himself out thinking that it was all an act, but I guess not. Although what Ippo says at the end still sounds like they're going to try and employ some kind of fake-out based on the opponent's assumptions.

And I love that Japanese(?) trope of "says a bunch of stuff" *beat* "is what I'd like to say, but" *says the opposite*

e: And also yeah maximum :flaccid: in this one.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

http://hni-scantrad.com/eng/lel/?manga=Hajime+no+Ippo&chapter=Chapter+1285#page=1

Ippo is back with a chapter mostly dedicated to dunking on Kimura! That "stay tuned for next week" line makes me feel real doubtful about this strategy though.

Who is that homeless guy?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
New Chapter!

http://hni-scantrad.com/eng/lel/?manga=Hajime+no+Ippo&chapter=Chapter+1286#page=1

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Man this manga is actually really good when it's actually boxing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Centzon Totochtin posted:

He hosed up when feeding his dragonfish

Ah, I sympathize with this. I had a frog as a pet as a teenager and fed it mealworms, but apparently I fed it too many mealworms (or the mealworms were too powerful) because the mealworms somehow ended up eating the frog. The frog just disappeared and I assumed it had somehow escaped, but months later I found its desiccated corpse. It was very sad.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Kimura is so gonna lose. The eternal jobbers in this series never really catch a break for long.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Ippo giving more advice in the past 2 chapters than Kamogawa has in 30 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sextro posted:

Man this manga is actually really good when it's actually boxing.
It's the one thing Morikawa absolutely loving loves to put on display. The recent-ish one of Ryo vs Shinobu was loving baller, too.