Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
And Chapter 1293 out as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

don't get bug sickness, sendo

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Ippo is going to accidentally unleash the beast and lay Sendo out with his secret not-getting-punched-in-the-head style boxing he's been practicing. They're going to dress him up like Sendo and hope the Mexicans don't notice. Ippo easily beats Gonzalez then Martinez, and learns what it truly means to be the strongest, but ironically all as Sendo :ironicat:

kwokkie
Jan 19, 2011

Being a dumbass is the best form of defence.
Kumi is going to kill Sendo for putting Ippo in a boxing ring.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
How can she kill a dead man

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I never thought I would get to see Arena Mexico depicted in a manga, incredible

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Takes No Damage posted:

Ippo is going to accidentally unleash the beast and lay Sendo out with his secret not-getting-punched-in-the-head style boxing he's been practicing. They're going to dress him up like Sendo and hope the Mexicans don't notice. Ippo easily beats Gonzalez then Martinez, and learns what it truly means to be the strongest, but ironically all as Sendo :ironicat:
And by "dress Ippo like Sendo" you mean "put him in a lucha mask."

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I feel like the Japanese guy dressing as a luchador against the Mexican boxer would be insanely insulting, therefore that is 100% what is going to happen.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Martinez is fighting the number 1 right? Kind of weird that we didn't see him at all.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

chapter 1294 is out.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Ippo is finally dodging.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Adnor posted:

Ippo is finally dodging.

Sendo going "wow he's not getting punched in the face amazing" is very HnI.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
As someone that has watched a lot of CMLL, it is so surreal to me that there are going to be several chapters taking place inside Arena Mexico. The origin of this gif and this clip and so much more. The absolute best.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Boco_T posted:

As someone that has watched a lot of CMLL, it is so surreal to me that there are going to be several chapters taking place inside Arena Mexico. The origin of this gif and this clip and so much more. The absolute best.
Dude, it's insane. I remember the first time I went to México City to play with my first "big" band back in 2001 and we played El Alicia (a dumpy yet awesome music venue where poo poo often goes off the deep end) and just imagine my dumb, excited teenaged rear end as we passed by the Arena on the way there, after seeing that place so many times during my kiddy/pubert years in the 90's with all those AAA/CMLL shows back when. And since El Alicia is like 800 meters or so away from Arena Mexico, walking back and seeing the place in the way there was hosed up in the best manner. The park that's in front of El Alicia is one of those places where, back then, you shouldn't be walking by yourself or it was like your rear end was begging to get mugged or worse.

It's a weird memory to drag back from seeing these chapters, but gadamn it got me a little misty-eyed, to be honest. :)

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Chapter 1295

Morikawa changed the CMLL logo to say BOXING

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I'm pretty hype for this fight.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1296
Sendo pulling out a signature Takamura move, the arm tornado. time for the real fight to begin.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Fool, punching me in the face only makes me stronger!

I hope Gonzalez responds to this with another jab.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Is it that hard not to get punched in the face a bunch?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

important question: how far could takamura get in the kengan asura fighting organization ?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Somberbrero posted:

It's pretty hard when the guy you are fighting is really good.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Somberbrero posted:

As it turns out, humans can actually punch really fast if they work at it hard enough, and the motion to jab is more economical than the motion to raise your hands and block a jab, especially when you factor in that you have to do this while *reacting* to seeing/predicting the thrown punch.

Dodging is also very hard when you're in the middle of a fight, because you have to dodge without actually retreating, which is a very precise and difficult series of actions to pull off (again, in reaction to someone else's action, which adds more time for the jab to get closer to you and all).

I'm no expert, but let me just say that even decades later, I still remember some punches that were thrown at me and how frustrated I was at the time that I couldn't just block or avoid them, when the person throwing them *was absolutely slower and less dexterous than I was*.

It's hard. There are reasons for 'the best defense is a good offense' not being a nonsensical phrase.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

of course you'll take less punches to the face if you don't focus on in-boxing which is something most boxers these day do.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Stairmaster posted:

of course you'll take less punches to the face if you don't focus on in-boxing which is something most boxers these day do.

Indeed and Sendo is a very agressive get in your face boxer. And we see him trying not to take hits here, it's just not working for the most part.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Just remember this is the 90's. Boxing has evolved a lot since then.

Besides this guy is like Martinez, he throws punches that are hard to read and dodge, so I'm willing to cut him slack. Morikawa is making drawing these fights so well these days, it actually feels like legit boxing again.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1297

The fight continues and Sendo gets an edge. As it turns out, it actually isn't that hard to not get punched in the face.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1298

Gonzalez was able to learn and grow from his fight with Ippo. Nice place to end before the break.

The cover is paying tribute to Kimura's VA, Keiji Fujiwara.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Murder

Alf

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Welp, it was a good run, but the series' protagonist had to die in the ring sooner or later.

RIP Sendo - you won't be forgotten. :(

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
This is a cool and good fight.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, part of me wishes Morikawa would've learned some stock spanish insults so that we could have Gonzalez screaming "¡NO TE PASES DE VERGA, PENDEJO! at Sendo.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Man, part of me wishes Morikawa would've learned some stock spanish insults so that we could have Gonzalez screaming "¡NO TE PASES DE VERGA, PENDEJO! at Sendo.

I think the stock insults at sporting events in Mexico are often pretty offensive, but I’m sure that there are some usable boxing ones right?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's less that there are ones related to boxing (which escape me at the moment, despite how enormously popular is here in México) and more that Gonzalez seems like he grew up in the shittiest parts of Mexico, where a pandillero (street gang punk, basically) would often hear/yell something like that when getting beaten/beating the poo poo out of someone else.

It's just that the "Don't get carried away!" sounds like a super weak-rear end thing to use for a moment that's as hot-blooded as that one was, and since Sendo is clearly commenting "I don't speak no spanish, motherfucker!", it just stuck with me. Like even a relatively tame "¡Ora, cabrón!" would've worked wonders.

Otherwise yeah, loved this chapter.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sendo is going to win and end Al's career and I will throw a parade

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Wark Say posted:

It's less that there are ones related to boxing (which escape me at the moment, despite how enormously popular is here in México) and more that Gonzalez seems like he grew up in the shittiest parts of Mexico, where a pandillero (street gang punk, basically) would often hear/yell something like that when getting beaten/beating the poo poo out of someone else.

It's just that the "Don't get carried away!" sounds like a super weak-rear end thing to use for a moment that's as hot-blooded as that one was, and since Sendo is clearly commenting "I don't speak no spanish, motherfucker!", it just stuck with me. Like even a relatively tame "¡Ora, cabrón!" would've worked wonders.

Otherwise yeah, loved this chapter.

Good point! I am also loving this start to the fight. Hopefully it turns out to be a fun one (though it might not be fun for Sendo fans regardless).

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Ippo is def coming back after this though isn't he. Sendo was the true rival all along.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
New chapter hit.

http://hni-scantrad.com/eng/lel/?manga=Hajime+no+Ippo&last

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The smash was a little silly but I'm guessing that Gonzalez was jumping back at the same time.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, someone said that if Gzz had taken the full brunt of the smash, he'd be down for the count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
this fight is excellent and they managed to make alf interesting