Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

KidDynamite posted:

eh you don't really have to rear end pull. plenty of folks "retire" after a loss and come back and fight someone in the top 10 and regain rank... or lose again embarrassingly. once you have a name you can pretty much fight whomever.

This is true and there some unusual outliers who do well even coming off retirement. Mind you, said outliers were people who made their careers absolutely MINIMIZING the amount of damage they took throughout their careers(Floyd Mayweather, George St. Pierre). Ippo has...not exactly done this...AT ALL.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

doomrider7 posted:

This is true and there some unusual outliers who do well even coming off retirement. Mind you, said outliers were people who made their careers absolutely MINIMIZING the amount of damage they took throughout their careers(Floyd Mayweather, George St. Pierre). Ippo has...not exactly done this...AT ALL.

In universe there's also Date FIGHTING SPIRIT Eiji

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

doomrider7 posted:

But now, he's learning how to actually fight. So anything is possible

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Eh, Ippo seems like a fan favorite that had a sudden retirement due to accumulated damage and never quite realized his potential. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a tune-up fight and immediately got offered a #1 contender bout for the Japanese title or whatever. People love comeback stories.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

He already did that. It called a forehead block.

Isn't that literally his first fight in the Pro test? Or was that the guy who was throwing fouls like intentional foreheading and Ippo decided that was fine as long as he knew it was coming and could just tank it with his own skull?

In fact, isn't it his very first fight in the manga VS Miyata where he survives a counter by jumping into it so it doesn't have as much power, like Sean Connery charging that torpedo in Hunt for Red October?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Counterpoint, Ippo hasn't had a very large number of fights, just a pretty average amount. Also, many of those fights, despite him getting hit a lot, ended fairly quickly.

So yeah, definitely damage, but it's not like he had 30+ fights going out to 10+ rds or anything.

It's not great or anything ofc.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
A cool way to leapfrog Ippo to a world contender position would be for a promoter to offer him a title fight trying to build up one of his fighters with a win over someone once considered a top prospect.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Miyata announces plans to move to a heavier weight class so ippo returns to fight him before he makes the move

Then they fight and kiss

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I ordered the first volume of the new Ippo Bluray and it should be arriving this week I think.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I ordered the first volume of the new Ippo Bluray and it should be arriving this week I think.

Nice! I've been doing a rewatch of the show but just using Crunchyroll.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

duckdealer posted:

Nice! I've been doing a rewatch of the show but just using Crunchyroll.
It arrived today and I watched it via my PS5 on a 4k TV. It's about as good of a transfer as you can hope for an older 4:3 series. I instinctively switched it to Japanese but I should listen to the dub.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New one.

http://hni-scantrad.com/eng/lel/?manga=Hajime+no+Ippo&chapter=Chapter+1334#page=1

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This one's excellent, can't wait for the fight

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Shame about the break next week.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Thinking of my favorite moments in the manga and most of them are early on- there's a lot of later fights I like (even counting the lurch in the manga's general quality), but I think the two moments I like the most are Takamura related. Him describing his first match and why boxing drew him in ("The applause came down like rain. It was the first time I had been praised for doing anything."), and him psyching himself up for the match with Hawk where he calms down because he remembers how much he enjoys being around everyone and thanks god he found boxing.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Page 7 is another indicator that the old man is dying soon. "Laughter is good for the immune system."

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

ccubed posted:

Page 7 is another indicator that the old man is dying soon. "Laughter is good for the immune system."

I caught that too, as did Ippo with his new Super Observation SkillzTM. I thought they used those giant mahjong sticks to throw into the ring and get some crazy lucky hand to psyche out his opponents, but I guess he just likes waving them around during his entrance :shobon:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1335

The fight...is good.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Top-notch dialogue this chapter.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Man I wanna see this poo poo animated so bad.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Dias posted:

I know it's probably not the correct literal translation, but I mentally substituted Takamuras dialog on page 9 with "Where is your god now?"

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hypocrisy posted:

The fight...is good.

:emptyquote:

Dias posted:

Being able to show a fight progressing clearly without the characters stopping time to inner-monologue and describe everything to the reader is something Morikawa used to be really good at, back around the time Ippo first took the Japanese championship. Hopefully he keeps it up!

Frabba posted:

I know it's probably not the correct literal translation, but I mentally substituted Takamuras dialog on page 9 with "Where is your god now?"

"Don't blame me if you lose..."

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

More Ippo during these trying times.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Will this be it? Will Takamura finally lose a fight? Seems kinda unfair to just have one of your characters ominously say "I GOT A BAD FEELING ABOUT THIS"

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Rubellavator posted:

Will this be it? Will Takamura finally lose a fight? Seems kinda unfair to just have one of your characters ominously say "I GOT A BAD FEELING ABOUT THIS"

I mean it seems unlikely, but it also looks like Ippo needs something to kick him into action again. I was thinking like Ippo notices something that coach and Takamura didn't, maybe points it out and that's why Takamura wins.
I will bet 5c on this prediction.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Rubellavator posted:

there is absolutely no chance whatsoever takamura loses here. it's just one of mori's classic ways to hype us up about some twist that makes it look like he's ABOUT to lose, after which takamura supermans himself through the challenge demonstrating some aspect of mentality and/or boxing skill necessary for ippo to internalize and incorporate in his own repetoir

from a metanarrative sense, the build up on dragon was so shallow that it'd be pretty absurd if THIS is who takamura lost to. i'd have to imagine we'd have a bit more buildup for the character that eventually takes him down, if one even exists

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i don't think takamura loses but i think he's gonna get real close

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I am pretty sure he will win, but Dragon will probably be his hardest fight.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Patware posted:

i don't think takamura loses but i think he's gonna get real close

I don't know how it possibly could get closer than Bison, who had Takamura so seemingly defeated that Ippo and the gang had to physically stop Kamogawa from throwing in the towel.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
What were the chapter numbers for the Bison fight? I should read that again

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What were the chapter numbers for the Bison fight? I should read that again

https://hajime-noippo.com/manga/hajime-no-ippo-chapter-1095/

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Thanks!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Hawk was definitely Takamura's closest fight IMO. The man was on death's door and won that battle out of sheer rage

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Still salty they animated it more like a dbz fight than a gritty rear end death match.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DamnGlitch posted:

Still salty they animated it more like a dbz fight than a gritty rear end death match.

DBZ wishes it could have fights that were that good.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
What ended up happening with Sendo vs. Gonzalez? I think I spaced out for a bit.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They got into a big slugfest because they're idiots that love getting punched in the face and in the end Sendo came out on top.

It was a good fight.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, I stopped looking in here for a bit and next I knew we were like 20 chapters into a completely different arc so I got confused lol

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1337

I guess him jumping off a speeding car actually did affect him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:wth:

WHOA SOMETHING MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE HAPPENED