Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

there's a difference between belief and prayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Takes No Damage posted:

:yeah: He's obviously going to lose, but it's not like we've seen him take any major injuries throughout the fight. Nothing like Sendo with busted ribs or Date with a shattered jaw. No reason to believe his life is in danger.

Getting up super quickly from a knockdown and immediately getting downed again is the only concern, but being concerned with TBIs is frowned upon in this manga.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
tedious

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the fight choreography has really jumped up a level once mori stopped with the monkeygod stuff. the artwork has been sublime too. its so cool how ricardo's strategy is so simple, yet effective, every time he clutches his fist woli throws himself off balance prematurely dodging.

the miguel/woli relationship is heartwarming as hell too. if anyone's going to die in this manga i really think this might be it..

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The panel with Ricardo standing strong tall and completely unfased before a downed Wally is terrifying.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Takes No Damage posted:

:yeah: He's obviously going to lose, but it's not like we've seen him take any major injuries throughout the fight. Nothing like Sendo with busted ribs or Date with a shattered jaw. No reason to believe his life is in danger.

I agree that Wally probably doesn't die here. But I did notice something in this chapter. Speculation: Wally's corner talked about a plan to target the eyes for cuts. We see here that one of Wally's eyes is bloodied and Ricardo throws a punch that Wally doesn't react to at all. I think he might have a career ending detached retina. This would also tie into the heavily hinted eye damage that Takmaura has suffered.

ccubed fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 19, 2023

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I've not seen a chapter of anything with so many death-flags in quite some time.

I think I'd probably feel pretty bad if Morikawa killed Woli off. I just don't want ever have to endure him fighting ever again.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If he dies, he dies.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

if hedies, he dies

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Die Wally, Die

That's German for Ippo's enormous hog

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdUy70dh8LY

This is the only track I will accept for the animated version of this fight.

I imagine the end is just Wally getting KO-ed so hard they show us his grave in the future an instant before they show him hitting the mat in the present, all while the world's finest and most abrupt piano slapstick cheers him down.

Ricardo just putting an end to silliness. A supreme boxing Oscar the Grouch.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Desumaytah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdUy70dh8LY

This is the only track I will accept for the animated version of this fight.

I imagine the end is just Wally getting KO-ed so hard they show us his grave in the future an instant before they show him hitting the mat in the present, all while the world's finest and most abrupt piano slapstick cheers him down.

Ricardo just putting an end to silliness. A supreme boxing Oscar the Grouch.

KO'd so hard, smash cut to a funeral, but the funeral is Miguel's because he was nearing the end of his life and dramatic death imagery reasons.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Anyone ever posted this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcxfPIErv24

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
That's a cool video. Thanks for posting.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/WANPOWANWAN/status/1618781922435690496

Seems like Morikawa wants to end Ippo soon while he's still able and has planned the ending out. Also some stuff in the rest of the thread about feeling as if he's not a proper mangaka until he's completed a series.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 27, 2023

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Rubellavator posted:

https://twitter.com/WANPOWANWAN/status/1618781922435690496

Seems like Morikawa wants to end Ippo soon while he's still able and has planned the ending out. Also some stuff in the rest of the thread about feeling as if he's not a proper mangaka until he's completed a series.

Oh, so in, like, 500 chapters???

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
No way he doesn't die like 20% of the way into a Geromichi fight that is happening for some reason

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Will ippo gently caress before the end of the series and will it be kumi or miyata

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

mashiba

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The ippo miyata thing started way early on during the good old days of ippo but it never made any sense to me. Hope George doesnt feel the need to follow through with it.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

No Wave posted:

The ippo miyata thing started way early on during the good old days of ippo but it never made any sense to me. Hope George doesnt feel the need to follow through with it.

Agreed, They should never cross paths in the ring, or if they do its the final chapter and we never see the outcome. At this point it's better that they be distant rivals who never actually bump up against each other.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I just don't think their rivalry was ever any good and their ending up in different weight classes being framed as a tragedy just never made sense to me. Both of them have so much else going on.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

When was the last time Miyata even had a fight?

He had a page against some randy like ... 300 chapters ago? But as far as actual fights go, how far back are we talking?

Edit: Jesus Christ, his last proper fight ended in Chapter 846. Almost 15 years ago.

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 27, 2023

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nilbop posted:

When was the last time Miyata even had a fight?

He had a page against some randy like ... 300 chapters ago? But as far as actual fights go, how far back are we talking?

Edit: Jesus Christ, his last proper fight ended in Chapter 846. Almost 15 years ago.

I still suspect he'll be the first one to die from destroying his body trying to stay featherweight cause he won't move on.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Agreed, They should never cross paths in the ring, or if they do its the final chapter and we never see the outcome.

Yeah I had imagined up some sort of time jump where the two go to throw punches (happily) and it just ends on that

That'd be cool imo :unsmith:

Also maybe if he finishes they can finally fuckin animate some more of it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh wow, Morikawa is much younger than I thought he was.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh wow, Morikawa is much younger than I thought he was.

which i point out every time goons talk about him like he's about to die

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
He's actually dead already. Been a lich for a few decades.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I got bad news for you about the lifespan of weekly mangaka.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Look, as long as he doesn't go on hiatus like Togashi, it's fine.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I don't care about the outcome of this fight but rather how the boxing world will be rocked by the scandalous news that a crooked Mexican ref disallowed flying turnbuckle haymakers.

This used to be a good sport. I swear..

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 28, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

Yeah I had imagined up some sort of time jump where the two go to throw punches (happily) and it just ends on that

That'd be cool imo :unsmith:

Also maybe if he finishes they can finally fuckin animate some more of it

Just draw this shot for shot with Ippo and Miyata:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC52KBgm5dY

DamnGlitch posted:

I got bad news for you about the lifespan of weekly mangaka.

Yeah, if he'd got a later start or been born a few years earlier he probably would have already Miura'd himself :(

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Man how could I have forgotten that from Rocky lol, yeah that would actually own, have it be old rear end Ippo and Miyata having a fun little spar "one last time"

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I'm not sure how he can end it quickly, outside of a rushed epilogue chapter. There are still way too many loose threads, the biggest being whether Ippo actually returns to the ring or not.

Maybe we'll get Wally loses, Sendo dies in the ring (or is injured so severely that he can't return), then a time skip of Ippo's return, where he is already at the point where he can challenge the champion?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah, if he'd got a later start or been born a few years earlier he probably would have already Miura'd himself :(

coincidentally he was an assistant on Hni

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I'm not sure how he can end it quickly, outside of a rushed epilogue chapter. There are still way too many loose threads, the biggest being whether Ippo actually returns to the ring or not.

Maybe we'll get Wally loses, Sendo dies in the ring (or is injured so severely that he can't return), then a time skip of Ippo's return, where he is already at the point where he can challenge the champion?

Um excuse me the real overarching plot to HnI is Takamura's quest to conquer 6 weight classes. Ergo the manga is half over at most :eng101:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
takamura's storyline is difficult to reconcile with ippo's in terms of "where" it feels it is. he's canonically got "half" of his major goal left to go, but we obviously can't do another 1k chapters. even if mori speeds it up, there's still so much he's built up to that it'll take genuinely hundreds

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It would be pretty easy to time skip from Ippo resolving to return / maybe a fun tune up fight then time skip to Takamura’s 6th fight and Ippos title challenge final arc.

Max trolling would be for post time skip Ippo to have like 2 kids.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

The only way that I can see to end it without a hamfisted time skip, and a thematically appropriate one given Makunoichi's own journey, is to have Takamura lose.

Ippo loses, suffers brain damage and retires, Takamura loses and dies, Kamogawa dies of grief and shame seeing his dreams take the lives of those dearest to him.

fin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Takes No Damage posted:

Um excuse me the real overarching plot to HnI is Takamura's quest to conquer 6 weight classes. Ergo the manga is half over at most :eng101:

Ah, but Takamura explicitly was supposed to take it slow in the lower weight classes because it was further from his actual weight class.

So he'll speed up, which means the manga is, like, *uses rng* 3/4 over.