Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Fixed.

You're not allowed to hit below the belt, but what if below the belt hits you?

I've read through this entire manga throughout the past 2 months or so and I just got to the part where Woli is introduced. I havent read most of the spoilers yet, but it almost seems like I should just drop the series and cut my losses from some of the stuff you guys are saying. The last Miyata fight seemed to drag on forever as it was, I can't imagine having to wait for a fight chapter by chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Highest Cactus posted:

I can't imagine having to wait for a fight chapter by chapter.

Personally, I'd recommend you stop before getting into the Woli fight. Even now that we are at the tail end of it, I can't find much enjoyment from the thing. Wait until it concludes then read it all at once if only to laugh at the amusing moments that make no sense.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 28, 2010

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Fixed.

Dicksey Roll?

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine
I just went back and started re-reading from the beginning. Ippo was so adorable then, when he was fighting real people and relying on his 'punching the poo poo out of things' technique, as opposed to BURNING JAPANESE SPIRIT

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
I said it weeks ago to a friend that this is the only possible thing that could redeem this fight. I hope removing the seal transforms the thing into the Ippo Roll, and I wanna see some insane 360 degrees bullshit.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Couldn't get a good feel for what was new about the Dempsey Roll 3.0. I guess it's just that his ligaments/joints can handle the strain now? Or was it mostly sealed strictly BECAUSE of that? ie: long-term usage would yield permanent damage.

The sad part is that if Ippo pulled that out when they were both at full strength, the match might have ended a bit sooner. Woli getting clocked here isn't really due to his fatigue, I don't think.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Geop posted:

Couldn't get a good feel for what was new about the Dempsey Roll 3.0. I guess it's just that his ligaments/joints can handle the strain now? Or was it mostly sealed strictly BECAUSE of that? ie: long-term usage would yield permanent damage.

The sad part is that if Ippo pulled that out when they were both at full strength, the match might have ended a bit sooner. Woli getting clocked here isn't really due to his fatigue, I don't think.

At full strength I don't think it would have been possible for Ippo to ever land a punch on Woli, dempsey or otherwise.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Geop posted:

The reason the dempsey roll was sealed was because it would never work on a boxer like Miyata. It was determined Ippo would have to take out the legs first. It just so happens that Woli's legs are made out of fine pastry, so everything works out.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Banana flavored pastry? :3: The original dempsey roll wouldn't have worked on Miyata, but the ability to break from the figure-eight momentum effectively kills that, I'd think.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Geop posted:

Banana flavored pastry? :3: The original dempsey roll wouldn't have worked on Miyata, but the ability to break from the figure-eight momentum effectively kills that, I'd think.

Why are you theory-crafting about the dempsey roll? If Morikawa wants to roll to hit it will, if not then Miyata or whomever will faster-than-light triple counter Makunoichi's face.

Also, Miyata only needs to wink sexily at Ippo during a fight to completely shut him down (you know this is true).

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

trucutru posted:

Miyata only needs to wink sexily at Ippo during a fight to completely shut him down.
Check and mate

:(

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

trucutru posted:

Why are you theory-crafting about the dempsey roll? If Morikawa wants to roll to hit it will, if not then Miyata or whomever will faster-than-light triple counter Makunoichi's face.

Also, Miyata only needs to wink sexily at Ippo during a fight to completely shut him down (you know this is true).

I disagree. Outside of the ring, sure. But during a fight that would just inspire Ippo to greater feats of amorous boxing.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.
I think Miyata would end up being distracted in a clinch by Ippo's raging hard on poking into his midsection and completely drop his guard.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dicker-cut

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Infinitum posted:

Dicker-cut

You can't feel it, but it leaves a dick shaped impression on you.

VV. I was attempting to make a joke about Ippo's fist impression in Woli's side. But hey that works too.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 30, 2010

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Unfairly considering how long has been spent on the Woli fight, when was the last time Ippo's huge shlong was mentioned? It's kinda sad that his wrecker is unattended.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

BOrangeFury posted:

Unfairly considering how long has been spent on the Woli fight, when was the last time Ippo's huge shlong was mentioned? It's kinda sad that his wrecker is unattended.

Hajime no Ippo manga discussion thread: We want to see Ippo's dick again

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine

logger posted:

Hajime no Ippo manga discussion thread: We want to see Ippo's dick again

Everyone hide your rear end

Click here for the full 645x1614 image.

In other news, I was talking to a friend who's a gym teacher. Obviously an authority :cool: on this she commented that with conditioning, the stress of lateral ankle and knee movement could be compensated for by movement in the hips and abdomen. So the 'Ippo Roll' could be completed simply due to modern conditioning and nutrition. Glucosamine, protien, and super-crunches.

On that note, Ippo needs a nutritionist. He could easily put on another five pounds of muscle, and just spend three(ish) days dehydrating before a match to compensate. Or I hang around idiot gym teachers and trainers too much. Either way, it's a comic book.

There needs to be a golf magna. Then I'd have some more relevant input. "You're not fighting the other players, you just need to fight the COURSE." (cue japaneese spirit fantastic irons high schooler with a -250 drive that can pitch into a bucket or something)

BOrangeFury fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 30, 2010

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

You don't understand. He uses a MAGICAL PUTTER :allears:

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

BOrangeFury posted:

There needs to be a golf magna. Then I'd have some more relevant input. "You're not fighting the other players, you just need to fight the COURSE." (cue japaneese spirit fantastic irons high schooler with a -250 drive that can pitch into a bucket or something)
There are about 23 golf manga. Some have even got long running anime I know of two with 47 episode runs and one with 147 episodes.

I don't think you'll ever find any of it subtitled or translated though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Matlock Birthmark posted:

VV. I was attempting to make a joke about Ippo's fist impression in Woli's side. But hey that works too.

Man, it has been years since I've seen anyone refer to the dreaded mushroom tattoo. How nostalgic.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

BOrangeFury posted:

There needs to be a golf magna. Then I'd have some more relevant input. "You're not fighting the other players, you just need to fight the COURSE." (cue Japanese spirit fantastic irons high schooler with a -250 drive that can pitch into a bucket or something)
You'd have to come up with like 30 characters that are good at literally ONE thing first.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

You'd have to come up with like 30 characters that are good at literally ONE thing first.

I don't know poo poo about golf and came up with these in 2 seconds:

Hanagata can sense the speed of the air currents with 100% precision!
Rokugi has a super-technological set of irons (he also has a remote-controlled ball, cheater).
Aoyama, before becoming a golfer, won an Olympic karate medal. He has perfect control over his muscles and his "chop" is unmatched.
Yuuya has spent all his money to get a golf club membership and needs to win badly or he wont be able to pay for his mother's surgery!
Smith-Wesson trained IN AMERICA with Tiger Woods!
Li Xiao-Pen can meditate into a state of complete nothingness with the green. He believes golf will help him understand his own mortality.
Mohammad is a master of the sand-trap. Conveniently, he tricks the hero to play golf in the middle of the desert.
Woli practiced golf with coconuts and is a complete Genius. His only weakness is that his clubs break easily.

The final boss is "Alasdair MacHaggis" who comes from the Scottish family that invented golf in the 15th century. He is a prodigy that has never lost a game who is searching for an opponent that can show him the true meaning of golf.

Easy as pie.

Quickly, how do I contact Shonen Jump? this is pure Gold!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

trucutru posted:

Rokugi has a super-technological set of irons (he also has a remote-controlled ball, cheater).
Aoyama, before becoming a golfer, won an Olympic karate medal. He has perfect control over his muscles and his "chop" is unmatched.
Yuuya has spent all his money to get a golf club membership and needs to win badly or he wont be able to pay for his mother's surgery!
Li Xiao-Pen can meditate into a state of complete nothingness with the green. He believes golf will help him understand his own mortality.
Mohammad is a master of the sand-trap. Conveniently, he tricks the hero to play golf in the middle of the desert.
Woli practiced golf with coconuts and is a complete Genius. His only weakness is that his clubs break easily.

The final boss is "Alasdair MacHaggis" who comes from the Scottish family that invented golf in the 15th century. He is a prodigy that has never lost a game who is searching for an opponent that can show him the true meaning of golf.

Easy as pie.

Alternately, there is that one golfing manga I don't remember the name of about some girl with absurdly large breasts who gets ahead in the world of pro golf by wearing ridiculous skimpy outfits. I didn't actually read it, but it is on mangafox if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Alternately, there is that one golfing manga I don't remember the name of about some girl with absurdly large breasts who gets ahead in the world of pro golf by wearing ridiculous skimpy outfits. I didn't actually read it, but it is on mangafox if anyone knows what I'm talking about.
Comedy option :buddy: What's the title, pray tell?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Geop posted:

Comedy option :buddy: What's the title, pray tell?

Like I said, I don't remember the name. It is just something I saw while browsing random titles on mangafox.

Edit: Oh, third one down on a search for sports, comedy, & ecchi, excluding the less likely categories.
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/he_nshin_sonata_birdie_rush/

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 30, 2010

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Googling for "golf manga big tits" gives me:

http://en.akibablog.net/archives/2009/01/50795314.html

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

trucutru posted:

Easy as pie.

lmao this is pretty much a mathematical model at this point

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

trucutru posted:

Easy as pie.

*DRAMATIC SEASON 1 ENDING BATTLE*

Aoyama: I may be two strokes down...and you may have outmatched my long game...but..!

*dramatic slowdown of backswing, pan around Aoyama*

Ippo: Oh crap!

*shockwaves emanating from the golf club, contrails emanating behind it as it begins travelling towards the ball. Dramatic close up of the ball from a perspective that shows the club en route*

Takamura: He's going for it! He's going to use "That Swing"...! There nothing Ippo can do now!

Kamogawa: Kid!

Tiger Wood: *barely restrained anger*

Tiger Wood's Hot Abandoned Wife: Ippo! No!

Aoyama: I... still have.... MY SLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE! GUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAARGH!

*perspective shot as the club inches ever closer to the ball, the background is replaced by a shot of a O'Neil Colonial cylinder falling towards Sydney, Australia*

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You forgot the bit where the protagonist or one of his friends/rivals somehow uses a skill from their sport to defeat some thugs menacing the homely love interest character.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Fabricated posted:

You forgot the bit where the protagonist or one of his friends/rivals somehow uses a skill from their sport to defeat some thugs menacing the homely love interest character.

I just imagined the Aokigumi breaking someone's knees with drivers/baseball bats.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Only thing left is have it be the main character be the youngest member of the middle school golf club and they just have to win Nationals because it's the captain's last chance.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Goddamnit Eyeshield 21 was still good alright.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.
Eyeshield 21 is saved because Hiruma is brilliant and gives no gently caress at all to anything, ever. He is by far the best character in that manga, and every single character poll shows it. Even the writer agrees. He is also the complete opposite of winning through burning spirit, even in situations where that is what he requires. He is the Takamura of Eyeshield 21.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Wong Dongson posted:

Eyeshield 21 is saved because Hiruma is brilliant and gives no gently caress at all to anything, ever. He is by far the best character in that manga, and every single character poll shows it. Even the writer agrees. He is also the complete opposite of winning through burning spirit, even in situations where that is what he requires. He is the Takamura of Eyeshield 21.

He is the opposite of Takamura. Takamura wins with physical talent and hard work. Hiruma wins because of his intellect and cunning.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
His point was that they are alike in that they win in a way different from how the main character does that makes them really fun to watch.

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He is the opposite of Takamura. Takamura wins with physical talent and hard work. Hiruma wins because of his intellect and cunning.

And guns. His never ending arsenal of heavy weaponry never ceases to amaze me.

Something similar to Eyesheild was my idea, actually. A high-schooler with no sports talent discovers that he can hit a ball pretty well, finds three like minded people in school (A lackey, an injured super-star, and the rich kid that's played a billion courses and hates everyone) to start a Golf Club. They worm their way into the tough principal's heart, and earn their club funds by caddying for the school board's weekend golf outings.

When not caddying, Usless the Main Character has been going all Ben Hogan and practicing until his hands bleed. Rich Kid with poo poo Additude is forced by his golf-crazy father to join the club, and their practice space expands from smacking whiffle-balls into a net, to a world-class facility where they find a mix of support and loathing from the upper crust. It becomes a battle of the classes when Rich Assholes From Another School that know the Golf Club's Rich rear end in a top hat challenge them to a team game.

And poo poo goes on like that from there.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

It's true, both are typically villainous stereotypes put to better use. I wish more mangas would take the hint and stop with the effeminently small but talented heroes.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Hajime No Ippo has become so crappy that I'm totally intrigued by you guys talking about Eyeshield in this thread, and I've decided to give it a shot too. Mori, what have you done? You've literally driven away your own loyal and pissed off fans, one at a time. Not even sure you can call it hijacking or going off topic anymore, but, this thread has become a great place to find replacement manga.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Never got too in to Eyeshield. Too much goofiness for my tastes :v: ZOMG THE LINEBACKERS HAVE STRETCHY ARMS. LET'S PUSH THIS TRUCK TO THE WEST COAST. TIME FOR HIGH SCHOOLERS TO HIT THE TOWN IN VEGAS :cool: Decent manga, but just wasn't my thing I guess. I hook in to details like that and get turned off easily (such as in One Piece).

Personally, I've been reading Katsu, Cross Game, and H2 :dance: Always loved this guy's work. Touch was a masterpiece.