Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

so all we got from this chapter was "woli likes to box"

Christ, I'm on the edge of my seat here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I just don't like that Ippo may lose to such a gimmicky fighter. If he fought a guy that was completely better than him in an exciting boxing match, I wouldn't mind that at all. But the fact that he second loss may come at the hand of a racist caricature who can defy gravity is really disappointing.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I just realized that Japanese shonen manga really have a gigantic hard-on for people who are "naturally talented" and can beat the living poo poo out of people who have trained rigorously for years.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It really takes balls to have a fight that lasts for 5 months, consist of nothing but a one-sided beating of the protagonist and than having the protagonist win, not out of skill or anything, but due to dumb luck.

Calling it now, Ippo`s final fight will consist of ippo getting his rear end kicked for a year but not dying due to his samurai spirit. When all seems lost, he wins when his opponent gets killed by a meteor.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 29, 2010

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

you know I have a friend who went to japan for a year for some foreign exchange thing. She's asian and into asian guys, but she complained that all japanese men were basically pussies and really effeminate.

After seeing that picture, its easy to see what why women would complain.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I dunno, the fact that Woli finally got hit in his smug loving face sort of balanced out the stupidity of this chapter for me.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Fabricated posted:

best summation of the fight period.

http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/895/08/

Didn't he also comment on all the crap woli was doing by yelling "What the hell is this bullshit" a bunch of chapters ago?

Takamura,he calls it like it is.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

boy I sure do love seeing a guy run around and sit in a sauna all day. It's riveting!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I still sorta like how the audience perfectly matches the reader.

hurry up and fight already! Someone better throw a punch!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really wouldn't have minded this fight at all if it wasn't for the ridiculous amount of buildup that the chapters had- first how they kept teasing about IPPO'S WEAKNESS and then them just standing and staring at each other during the fight.

But really the fight itself should have have been two chapters tops.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I can't help but question the coach's tactics of "plant seeds that won't sprout until he's 40."

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

When I saw all those jabs and how they were being dodged, the fist of the north star music went through my head.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

So far this fight seems like that episode in the simpsons in which homer beats his opponents by letting them get tired from punching,in this case the big plan is to hope the other guy gets tired from running around.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

well the series just added another reason as to why Itagaki should get his rear end kicked. It's not going to happen but a man can dream.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's hilarious how Itagaki can think, in full sentences no less, about how weird a punch is and how's he's going to counter it, while the punch is coming straight at him.
I know this happens all the time in this manga, but this one just seemed to jump out at me.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 23, 2011

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I do like how itagaki's fighting style now consists of him looking like he's having a seizure.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 18, 2012

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Only in ippo would your eye swelling shut not affect your performance in a fight in any way.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

okay at this point I should just skim the thread every once and a while and read the chapters in which takamura is the focal point, because those are the only good chapters we get anymore.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

morikawa is finally getting around to something he should have done 200 chapters ago.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I would be cool with any fighters that aren't sort of racist jumping monkey men.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Am I the only one thinking that this is just some lame attempt to show how good the world class fighters are? It seems to me like a setup for "wow the guys at the top of the world class are so good.... I have to train harder!" Then cue about 10 more matches before he gets to the top?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

every time Itagaki gets hit with a big punch I have the biggest smile on my face, because gently caress him and his stupid bullshit.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I was reading this and thought that mangastream hosed up and missed some pages.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Despite wishing the pace would be better, It's definitely not a bad fight.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well regarding the end of the last chapter, I'm sure there's one thing Ippo can do better than gonzalez: take near fatal beatings and somehow still win.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

I don't think he's struggling with it very much at all. I think this is exactly what he wants to do and, while it's a major bummer, we as readers have to move on.

To be fair to myself, aside from the anime I don't think I've read a page since woli and have been playing the ippo metagame of watching all yall mope.

It's sort of sad, but since the woli fight, I've enjoyed nearly every fight that ippo wasn't involved in.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ippo you didn't lose because you weren't determined enough, you lost because your boxing style sucks. Hope this helps

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I like how someone finally loving addressed That Ippo's motivation of "being strong" is stupid. It was pretty obvious when he became the Japanese champion that he was strong. A better motivation for Ippo would be helpful.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

so this manga once again shows that it can be good if ippo or itagaki aren't fighting.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Centzon Totochtin posted:

As much as I like Sendo, I kind of hope he loses

It's kind of hard not to root for the guy who's actually using his brain in a fight.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

God drat it, I thought the stupid welp I've been taking a huge beating this whole match but I got one punch in and now my opponent's incredibly hurt" was reserved for ippo fights.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Also, Ippo's anxieties over how many times he's had his head rocked is ongoing.

Given how many times he's had his head beaten to a pulp, he might as well keep going, the damage has likely already been done.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 11, 2016

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

well that's an explanation as to why he can hit so hard, maybe we'll get an explanation as to why his brain isn't a pile of goo by now.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

so after 1000 chapters the author finally acknowledges that Ippo's fighting style is loving dumb.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Peel posted:

Ippo thinking seriously about technique, coach is like 'no don't.'

More evidence that the coach is trying to murder ippo.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The coach as an abusive father figure who never praises his son his cemented in this chapter.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

So I've really only started reading in the past few years and 150-ish chapters and it blows my mind that this dude is still learning the basics of boxing - like how to fight a lefty - literally twelve hundred chapters into the manga. I feel no need to go back and read the other stuff because it's probably way funnier this way.

Look Ippo was too busy fighting monkey men who jumped around on the ropes, okay?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The thrill of seething the new dempsey is significantly lessened when it's clear that Ippo's normal punches are nearly killing his opponent.

Edit- really though it's just Ippo being loving dumb because why show off your trump card at this point? it just allows a future, better opponent to develop a counter for it.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 11, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I honestly want ippo to be totally hosed because it will be a complete confirmation that his coaches boxing strategies are dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

At first I was pissed at ippo losing to this no name but after reading the chapters I thought it provided a good reason for it.