Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So, Takamura was introduced waaaaaay back in the day as an incredibly skilled boxer, defeating punks without laying a finger on them, favoring incredible footwork, that kinda thing. When he was asked what it was like being strong, he demonstrated not overwhelming power, but speed and precision.

I know he's stopped being a mentor character, but goddamn, when the hell did he become a sub-literate meathead who is only good at hitting hard? For his last several fights, the only thing positive you can say about him is his overwhelming power. Earlier in the series they sneered at Aoki and Kimura for getting dragged into inelegant exchanges of punches, and now it's all that Japan's greatest champion ever does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

PlaceholderPoster posted:

Didn't this last chapter make you want to suck Miyata's dick too?

You mean when he ran about the boxing ring throwing super fast punches at every angle to exhaust himself without actually hurting his opponent? Or when his stubbornness prevented him from adapting to a troublesome opponent? Or how his big fake out bluff was that he was going to do the punch he was shooting for from the start, several rounds after it was clear it was a retarded idea? Or how he could only draw his opponent into a clear blow by taking so many punches no one thought he could move?

Dammit, Miyata used to be a good boxer, too, cunning and adaptive. But now it seems like his motto is, "My father's technique, regardless if circumstance!" When was the last time someone changed their fighting style to defeat their opponent? The more I think about it, the more this series is becoming about spamming your signature move, with only cunning, evil foreigners developing techniques to counter specific opponents.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

DamnGlitch posted:

And yeah, that's what I was hoping for as well. Now it's just like "welp"

It could have been a cool Miyata win.

Imagine if Randy had shown ippo-like traits--incredible strength and toughness, tenacity, adaptability, a series of strong techniques, and a fast approach. But Miyata had always been one step ahead, pulling magic trick after surprise blow out of a seemingly infinitely deep pool of moves, always doing something fresh, no round being like the round before. If he had embraced the philosophy of outboxing, using his speed and technique to constantly adapt and dominate the fight.

As opposed to the fight we got---outboxing is just like inboxing, only further away and faster. It's identical, down to holding out with incredible tenacity for that one super-heavy punch, to the vast majority of Ippo's fights.

What's the purpose of an out/inboxing rivalry if they perform the exact same way in the ring?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/881/09/

This manga is meta as gently caress.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I've never read Ippo, I want to though!, but after randomly reading that latest chapter, I have to wonder what the hell is going on.

Ippo is an excellent series if you pretend it is over. Read issues 1 through 720, and then walk away. It won't be hard, the only reason you'll know that 720 isn't the last issue is because wherever you'll be getting it will probably have a 721. You'll have read a long, complete story full of pretty good fights, and you will be happy.

Do not follow us into anger and hatred. I can barely remember how much I used to enjoy Ippo, and yet I can't stop reading it. It's like a hateful cancer. Don't join us! Be free!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Swamp Zero posted:

I was about to say that this isn't too bad compared to some other series.

Then I tried to think of some...

I want to say the last Ranma 1/2 fight was really long, but it's been a while since I read it and I suspect it might have just gone on for a long time for a Ranma fight.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Swamp Zero posted:

I remember skipping entire volumes of ranma fighting some sort of birdman empire but it's probably my memory playing tricks on me

That was indeed the end boss! He was a phoenix who was immortal while he was in some sort of hot water bath? Also he wanted to marry Akane because everyone in Ranma wants to marry Akane.

Someone must know the details.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Jedah posted:

You guys should switch over to Garouden. Fun, easy read during the downtime of HnI. Sure, it lacks the plot and depth that HnI once had, but, god drat, these fights... they're spectacular! Also, bitches like Woli would be chewed up in the first few chapters. Actually... come to think of it, the protagonist has a "beat down" list, and Ippo's name is crossed off on it.
http://www.onemanga.com/Garouden/1/00-cover/

It looks like Grappler Baki. Will it be full of goofy-looking superhumans who only fight each other over nothing with nothing to win or lose except possibly teeth, and maybe a tyrannosaurus rex? Or is it lame?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

tazman posted:

Hoooooly poo poo

Post apocalyptic Hajime no Ippo. I know i'd loving read it.

Only if Itagaki roams the ruins in a daze, hands shackled together to keep his terrible power in check. Terrified of destroying what's left of mankind, terrified of running into his firends who's life he's ruined, terrified of death and suicide, he desperately seeks a return to his pun-filled youth, instead of the bleak nihilistic existence he made with his terrible right fist.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

OnimaruXLR posted:

Soup's up
http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/893/

Wait, wait, wait.

Ippo sinks the climactic punch because Woli tries to run away from the corner, where he's at his most untouchable, to a different, presumably less safe part of the ring?

It's like Ippo didn't have anything to do with this win.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Geop posted:

Holding out for his inevitable bout against a Chinese dude who was a Shaolin monk. I PUNCHED ROCKS DAILY SINCE I WAS FIVE :smuggo:

He needs new gloves after every practice session because he destroys the padding. Once his coach told him not to worry about replacing the gloves every drat fight, it was a waste of money, and the next official match his knuckles burst out of the glove and shattered his opponent's jaw. He was disqualified for using 'doctored' gloves, and ever since he doesn't trust coaches and cornermen.

Ippo's close relationship with Kamogawa drives the Chinese guy into a furious rage. While he leads early fight and lands stone-shattering blows to Ippo's skull, late fight Kamogawa gives Ippo the perspective he needs to win, while Shaolin boy loses his temper and fights sloppy with no one to help him stay cool. Eternal challenger Ippo wins again~!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I was wondering where my weekly disappointment was! It went up yesterday.
http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/899/

Don't be like that! This isn't a bad buildup to the fight, and it isn't moving at glacial speed.

You're just down because the series hasn't been good for at least a hundred issues. Lighten up! Be positive! I'm sure this fight won't be horrible and stupid!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Seemed like a standard quality prefight chapter.

Yeah, thus far this storyline is both compelling and moving at a decent pace. You're just wary because all the love outboxers get in this manga means we think he might very well godmode his way to a round one victory.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Wong Dongson posted:

It'll be interesting to see what the guy thinks is the obvious flaw that everyone is overlooking with regards to Ippo, but that is about it. At the least, hopefully he can take a hit. He is from a few weight classes above Ippo, and so far as I remember he only lost fights to decisions, not downs or KOs. He should at least be someone equipped to deal with Ippo's strategy of standing there and pounding away at people.

I'm guessing he thinks that everyone tries to outbox Ippo to pieces, while Ippo's spent his whole career training anti-Miyata techniques and tactics... so he thinks if he locks down with Ippo and goes into a full-on exchange the champ will crumble faster than people think he would.

But then there was that deep sea fisherman who basically did that, so I dunno.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Degenerative nerve disease means he can't feel his hands any more, and they're almost useless. But he can make a fist, and because he can't feel them breaking he can punch harder than anyone else!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Isn't this the exact same fight Ippo had back in his newbie tournament? And it ended the same way, his opponent almost wins and then changes strategies in the end, throwing the fight. Good to know the winning strategy in boxing is screwing around, and neither talent nor skill can overcome it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Speaking of RRR...

http://www.mangareader.net/rrr/79

OH GOD EVERYONE IN THAT CROSSWALK BETTER BE FINE :gonk:

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Who cares about Ippo?

http://www.mangareader.net/rrr/80

:v: There's a murder mystery afoot!