Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
The "!?" in the last panel about sums it up for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
Speculation : It goes to a decision and Randy gets robbed. Or a disputed decision.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
I actually take Miyata as having a great punch, just saying.

the light is ippo running down with a camera to take a picture, what an rear end in a top hat.

Leonard Leroy fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 6, 2009

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog

DamnGlitch posted:

The problem I see is if ippo and miyata fight the manga is basically over. I'm guessing the mangaka realized this and decided to not get people's hopes up about it anymore. Miyata changing classes pretty much cements that's it's not gonna happen, sicne It's unlikely he'd be able to drop down again once he gianed the weight, and there's almost nothing ippo could do to raise a weight class except to purposely gain weight, which is unlikely I think.

Why can't Ippo put on the weight? If he runs out of rivals, or if just plain really, really wants to, it's very possible that he'll put on another 4 pounds to fight his rival. Fighters do it very often. Hell, arguably the best boxer alive right now, Manny Pacquiao, went from super featherweight(130) to lightweight(135) to welterweight(147) in one year. His next fight is at junior welter (140). His rival, consensus number 2 boxer, Juan Manuel Marquez, is chasing him from 130 to 135 to 140. Actually, if you wanna get into boxing, just follow those two boxers. They're making history and proving each others' greatness.

Tommy Hearns, the basis for Mashiba, fought at welterweight(147) all the way to Cruiserweight(190 in his time).

Bernard Hopkins started at 160 went to 175 and is now going cruiser (200), just because he can.

I think Ippo moving up in weight is a very easy way to add tension and drama to the series. And a very easy way to make Ippo the underdog.

Miyata's deficiencies are chin and stamina -- moving up a class can very easily get rid those and turn him back into a monster for Ippo to fight.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog

DamnGlitch posted:

There is no way he'll change weight classes after A) just admitting he wants to chase not fight miyata (or something to that effect) and B)all the reach for the world / RICARDO MARTINEZZZZZZ jazz). Considering that Ippo is at his peak in his weight class as is and he stands to gain NO benefit from going up a class besides having even more powerful, tall fighters to deal with. If he were dealing at any point with weight management or even having to stop from bulking up to stay in calss I might think so but seeing how short he is and how much trouble he has with every dumb motherfucker that comes around to challenge for his belt, going up a class just doesn't make sense. Plus he just entered the OPBF to take the featherweight belt.

Dude, fighting spirittttttttttttt!

But yo, height isn't the end all be all of weight class -- although Ippo is tiny. I kinda imagine him like Dwight Qawi, 5'7, 200 pounds. The Camden Buzzsaw. Ippo will have to change up his style, but he can do it because he's the main character.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
Ippo is 5'2 if I remember right. And Miyata is going up in class.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
I'm. I'm enthu... sias... tic.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
Should have loving clocked him when he was checking his stance, where's your experience, Ippo?

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
You know what would be hilarious?

Woli gets robbed on the scorecards.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
After Ippo loses, he decides that boxing isn't for him and he goes on to run the fishing business which through determination and some luck becomes an empire thats sets him up for life. He sees Woli on television become a world champion, and he smiles -- his will passed along through the jungle boy.

The End

Epilogue: he gets Parkinsons.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
Wow.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
I clicked a wrong button or something, and I thought the last page was the first page, and it wasn't. So I started from the beginning and now I feel empty inside.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog

KidDynamite posted:

I wanted to throw up when I read this chapter. Mori you're trash.

Holy poo poo, I was going to say I wanted to vomit, too.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
Shamo rocks guys.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
Floyd Mayweather Jr. was born into a family of boxers and literally has been boxing his entire life.

There are a few old geezer boxers in history (Archie Moore/Sugar Ray Robinson/George Foreman come to mind) but there's definitely an advantage in both medical advancements and softened schedule for boxing's stars in modern times.

Sergio Martinez is a good example of a great boxer who had a late start in boxing. He took up the gloves at around age 24-25, and his athletic ability honed through soccer/football carried over.

Only Heavyweight boxing has truly suffered in quality, as there are quite a few phenoms throughout the divisions below running around.

Leonard Leroy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
That's a harsh response.

But I started reading RRR, and I'm into the first chapter so far. Good style.