Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I would've been a lot happier with the idea that Ippo has unintentionally used the one boxing strategy that hasn't been covered so far in the manga because it's a pretty boring way to win a fight: Making the other guy punch himself out.

But apparently he is now magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Again, always remember we're ridiculous manchildren and that this stuff is written for kids. Every sports manga ever tries to explain the mechanics of its sport by the "unrealistic" method of having every opponent focus literally on one fundamental of the sport (techniques or speed/agility/strength), barring the inevitable "cheater" opponent. The "godlike" teams/players are always the guys that know how to do everything well.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The "Samurai Spirit" thing is just that "GUTS" stuff that Kamogawa goes on and on about for the entire manga.

Also I don't know how anyone can really get to bothered about "ridiculous" when there's this loving page:

http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/493/19/

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think it's funny how they do the right thing and make it a point to mention the potential for brain damage and actually make a point to note that most of the fighters go to the doctor/hospital after a fight to make sure there's no permanent damage. Then there's a character that's literally an example and warning of what happens if you take beatings for too long and get punch drunk...

Then they have Kamogawa and pretty much every other second in the series not throw in the towel when their boxers are getting their eye sockets caved in because they want to see them win.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

That's my main problem with how Ippo fights really. If they didn't make the effort to mention the realistic effects of taking that much damage I'd just write it off as "its a manga/is shonenesque" rather than find it hilarious and a little sad.
Kamogawa with that one card where they were watching some guy get destroyed: SAVE YOUR BOXER YOU DUMB SECOND! THROW IN THE TOWEL!

*one match later*

Ippo: *literally has knuckle->skull impact craters and both eyes shut* I DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPENS TO ME! I'LL WIN! :gibs:

Kamogawa: I'll let this guy beat you for maybe 2-3 more rounds, then I'll think about throwing in the towel. Show me your guts kid!

Morikawa: Boxing is cool kids! You should try boxing!

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 23, 2010

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

BOrangeFury posted:

There needs to be a golf magna. Then I'd have some more relevant input. "You're not fighting the other players, you just need to fight the COURSE." (cue Japanese spirit fantastic irons high schooler with a -250 drive that can pitch into a bucket or something)
You'd have to come up with like 30 characters that are good at literally ONE thing first.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You forgot the bit where the protagonist or one of his friends/rivals somehow uses a skill from their sport to defeat some thugs menacing the homely love interest character.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

OnimaruXLR posted:

I hope we get more anime some day

Because I bet this, unlike the Magician fight, would be a lot less annoying animated and condensed to a little under an hour
3rd season was green-lit I thought.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Infinitum posted:

Ippo Vs Miyata for world title. End the manga.
Eh, how does that even work with the supposed Mexican superman in the picture? He just decides "welp I retire" before Ippo gets around to challenging him?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
best summation of the fight period.

http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/895/08/

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Infinitum posted:

Raw is out.

I'm not sure crushing a banana is exactly an effective display of anger.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Infinitum posted:

Trying to think of the exact point that Hajime no Ippo jumped the shark as a manga and I think it was after Miyata cancelled their fight just after Ippo's win against Take Keiichi. It was finally coming, you goddamn rear end in a top hat, then you pull some lame excuse out of your arse to stop it happening.

All down hill from there, even if I didn't really mind the Jimmy and Gedo fights..
Still not getting the Itagaki hate. I get more annoyed when 99% of Ippo's opponents nearly beat him to death before he wins.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

trucutru posted:

How are we going to care about a character that (after being outmatched) can just switch god-mode on and proceed to cream his opponent?
I'm kinda confused as to who you're referring to...are you talking about Itagaki, Ippo, Miyata, or Takamura?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
That's literally every Ippo fight ever outside of Date. Ippo gets the living gently caress beaten out of him but somehow pulls out that ridiculous samurai spirit stuff and wins despite looking like hamburger. After the rookie tournament thing way the hell back at the beginning Ippo has only dominated like...2 people in the ring?

Also you are being way too serious about this. Generally when anyone says something is like the author/creator "spitting in the faces of fans" they're being a ridiculous sperglord. It's Japanese comics dude, it'll be okay.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think it's a bit of conjecture to say Morikawa doesn't "give a poo poo" about the people who like his work. Not every fight can be Bryan Hawk/Sendo dude.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Globular Fellow posted:

I can't believe a trash manga like ippo won mangastream's contest for their next manga to translate
I never noticed any contest. What other entries were there?

I mean, whatever group is doing Ippo right now does a plenty good enough job.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They better speed up Ippo's progress because the amount of fights he's had would be a fine, normal career for any good boxer unless they plan on dragging his career out and show Ippo hitting his physical peak and declining.

They still have some go-to shonen bullshit arcs.

-Someone literally dies in the ring, finally
-Takamura's various championships
-Aoki/Kimura retiring
-Kamogawa dies
-Ippo actually touches someone of the opposite sex

etc etc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda like how Ippo never has to give a poo poo about his weight when literally every other boxer he fights seems to have to kill themselves to make weight. Also, all he does is add muscle between every fight. He's going to be a 4-foot nothing version of the Incredible Hulk by the time this series is through and yet he'll still be a featherweight.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Infinitum posted:

gently caress you Ippo for being mildly interesting this chapter

Last page is pretty much 'Ippo gon give it to ya'

Please let the gimmick be interesting this time around.. series has been going nowhere for ages now.
(Go read Rookies by the way, it's like Ippo when it was good.)
Gonna be disappointed when the new cannon-fodder's trick is that he hits really really hard.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The setup is interesting but the reason the fight is "supposed" to be interesting is dumber and dumber the more I try to remember poo poo...

I mean, hasn't Ippo fought a LOT of people cutting 1-2 weight classes to get down to him? Like half of his opponents have gone up to higher weight classes after losing to him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Vagrancy posted:

Chapter 920
Wow, that's kinda hilarious.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ippo is gonna take that guy's super-prepared punch, no-sell it due to his training, and probably put him in the hospital. Lessons are learned about tenacity, Ippo gets introspective, nothing happens in the manga as usual.

Or Ippo literally ends up killing the dude in the ring because the guy fucks up his supposedly "life or death" punch that Morikawa can't stop hyping. That would be a pretty amazing/original plot twist, so yeah not happening.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like how they keep talking about veteran boxers being so amazing when Ippo's current career is longer or equal to some of the greatest boxers in history.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mr. Deathy posted:

So when was the other time Ippo got angry?
I think Gedo and whoever the counter-dude that crashed his motorcycle like a retard both infuriated Ippo at some point, because they didn't respect the sport.

Edit: duh, I didn't read the new chapter. Of course they mentioned those. I think Ippo was upset before the fight with Hammer Nao? poo poo I don't remember. Probably one of his 2 billion filler fights. Seeing "IPPO SMASH" mode would be interesting if done right; I mean he loving punches peoples' souls out when he's half-dead at the end of all his fights.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 15, 2011

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Big L posted:

Could this chapter be foreshadowing that Ippo will snap and actually kill his opponent with his fury-fueled punches?
No. He'll barely win like always.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Image of Ippo in his next fight:

Edit: also my current suspicion is that Morikawa started drawing this arc before he actually thought of what Ippo's weakness is

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 25, 2011

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This fight hasn't started yet and I already hate it.

Unless Ippo literally kills this dude by accident in the ring and that's the big lesson I will hate it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So pretty much another chapter of "Ippo gon' give it to ya" with no payoff. ARafarfhgg

Actually, most disappointing thing in this chapter is that it looks like Takamura's next championship belt is a walkover.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Serious Frolicking posted:

See, after all of this fuss, I thought that Ippo had actually done something. Joke's on me, I guess.
We are all retarded and we will inevitably be disappointed.

Then we will do the same thing for the next fight. And the one after that.

Edit: Watch Morikawa troll the poo poo out of us and have Ippo lose and have to start all over because he realizes that Ippo could probably just challenge the World Champ right now with his record and he needs to buy time.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 23, 2011

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ippo is gonna kill the guy in the ring, and it will be great no matter how much Morikawa tries to make us empathize with the challenger now.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Quit trying to make us care about this challenger, we'd hate him even if you didn't write him acting like an rear end in a top hat because we're all tired of loving title defenses.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I hate you, Morikawa.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
:regd08:: The Manga.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Don't worry guys I bet something will happen next time

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rei_ posted:

You know what, at this point I hope one of them farts and they both start laughing and hug.
I think Morikawa is using this awful setup to trick us into thinking the slogfest this fight will turn into isn't as long as it really is.

"Long? Horrible? What are you talking about? The fight's barely twice as many chapters longer than the leadup!"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rei_ posted:

The next chapter will start with Ippo just getting dropped like a sack of bricks and then everyone sitting around going WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.
That would be an original plot twist. I highly doubt it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Congrats challenger no one likes, you get 40 chapters to slog it out with Ippo instead of getting mercifully crippled in 2-3.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Vagrancy posted:

Also wasn't a large part of his pre-match training focused on strengthening his neck? Wouldn't be surprised if the next chapter was just a dust cloud for several pages and then ended with Ippo being unaffected after the smoke clears.

also that didn't really need a spoiler tag I think.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So we're up to like...1 punch every 2 chapters or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Just a reminder that this page was like 400+ chapters ago:

http://somemanga.com/alt/Hajime_no_Ippo/503/mf/7/