Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
Haha, apparently Miyata's punches can break the sound barrier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

Guyver posted:

867 is out but not on Onemanga or MangaFox yet. I think everyone will be pleased 1cm makes it's return. Apparently specials and color pages next week to celebrate the 20th anniversary.

I'm kind of starting to appreciate the power creep. First Itagaki gets bullet time, then Miyata literally, LITERALLY punches faster than the speed of sound. Now Ippo can knock guys down by grazing them with his pinky finger.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

Guyver posted:

It's one of the first things Ippo ever did.

Yeah, but they made a go of justifying it back then. Now it's just "Nope, he's that strong."

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Is this going to be one of those stupid fights where Woli will magically know and end up using all of Ippo's previous opponents techniques?

Uh, he's already doing it.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

I think Vorg was the last foreigner Ippo fought who was just a very good boxer and didn't have some stupid gimmick. That was what, back in the rookie tournament? Takemura steamrolled a few orthodox foreign boxers and Miyata struggled against a couple of strong but relatively normal guys, so why does Ippo only get lame joke fights?

Only this fight and the Gedo fight had opponents with lame tricks. Sisfa was perfectly credible as a threat to Ippo and before that he hadn't had a hard fight since Sawamura.

I think people are just still pissed off about Miyata breaking the sound barrier and the contempt generated by that fight is slowly leaking into everything else they remember about Ippo.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
He was only talking about foreign boxers for some reason.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
I don't think so. In RL boxing if your gloves are that low then you don't have your guard up, which is something you'd get punished for regardless.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

An Outland Dish posted:

Talking about how the latest manga chapter is not even worth reading?

He's talking about the use of tl;dr i think, but that phrase got to be bannable in the first place because of people threadshitting with it. It'd be pretty loving retarded to apply it in this case.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

I hadn't read that Sendo story before, so thanks for linking it. In other news, Woli remains a gen~ius, because no shounen series ever recognizes the idea of an idiot savant.

i think theres some word that always gets translated as genius, "tensai" or something like that, which basically just means naturally gifted or extremely talented. I think I read some slam dunk scans that left it untranslated a while back

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

Gils posted:

I would agree if it wasn't for his title fights, I'm of the opinion that he should have been constantly absurd and never have to try since he can blow them to pieces with a single punch.

If it was handled like that we never would have gotten the Brian Hawk fight, which was probably the best in the series next to Ippo/Sendo

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

Guyver posted:

Just under four years if you start from the date at the zoo (9/1993) before the Sendo rematch. From that to the the Gendo fight 2/1997 then a few more months to this fight.

This also makes Ippo, what, a 24 year old virgin?

Has he even kissed anybody?

L.E. Cheetah fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 23, 2009

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

Guyver posted:

Malcolm Gedo - 21 - 8rds
Wally - 21 so far - Ongoing

Pacing jumped off a cliff 300 chapters ago. Though there was never really any set pace for a match.

why are you counting from the begging of the first round for the gedo fight and from the beginning of the buildup for the woli figt

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
whenever I get done reading a new ippo chapter i like to grab the sides of my monitor and put my face really close to it and then scream at the top of my lungs. oh hehe a girl just looked at me

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
Since Ippo is kind of modeled after Mike Tyson, you guys should have expected this decline all along. Soon the Coach will die and a money hungry person with tall hair will take over managing Ippo, and the decline will begin in earnest.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
Ippo is now relearning how to jab. This fight sucks.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

KoB posted:

I dont give a poo poo about basketball or football but Eyeshield 21 and Slam Dunk are loving awesome :colbert:

I love the poo poo out of basketball and football is great too and Slam Dunk is way better than Eyeshield 21.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
Morikawa is depressed and Ippo's about to take a fatalistic turn. Its gonna be some Zeta Gundam poo poo. Ippo will lose this fight and be so disheartened that he quits boxing. A bridge falls on Kumi. The naturally talented dark monkey boy country will invade Japan and be racist as hell and put Aokimura into a gulag or something.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
Now that Miyata can punch faster than the speed of sound and Itagaki has bullet time, Ippo's developed his own super power. He has a little ghost that cancels other peoples superpowers. But it only works to save Ippo from death, so every fight from now on is gonna be a bunch of rounds of Ippo getting the utter poo poo beat out of him.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

BOrangeFury posted:

But then it becomes a heartwarming tale of overcoming racisim and stereotyping because the black dude goes in thinking that Ippo is some sort of nuclear kamakazi that's gonna die before giving up.

That's... that's exactly what Ippo is

the moral of that story will be "every racist stereotype is absolutely true"

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

He's not a heavy weight now??

Well, he's supposed to be (his natural weight class) but I don't think he's gotten that far yet, right?

He's holding the world titles for middleweight and junior middleweight. Or, well, he relinquished the junior middleweight to move up a class, I think. So yeah, you're right.

Takamura was ranked 5th back then because he had just won the rookie king right before he met Ippo

L.E. Cheetah fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
Haha, what a lovely chapter. This mangaka's either got huge balls or just doesn't give a gently caress