Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Ah well. I hope RBJ stays around in some capacity, but I won't hold my breath. Also seconding what Mr. Deathy said.

Hey, who remembers that Takamura has a match right after this? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Okay, I know the Miyata fight soured some people on the manga. But it's okay, Takamura's fight is next!

And chapter 848 is out! Go read it!

Really.

Takamura to lose to some no-name jobber?! I don't believe he'll lose, but the 'connection' between him and Sakaguchi is an odd thing to bring up. Odds on Takamura punching out Sakaguchi are pretty good, since he vowed to do so back in 816. Hell, I'll go farther than that and say that if that does happen, Takamura will be Sakaguchi's next 'project.'

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Going to agree with Cowboy in that I could suspend disbelief for Gedo, but at the same time I decided to look back and take stock of what's gone down since before the Woli fight, because some of it runs together in my memory.

Going backwards from before Woli:

Mashiba's return - Showed Mashiba trying to fight without fouling and that he still hates Ippo, not that we needed to be told that last point. At the same time though, as much as I like Mashiba, holy hell does he need another thing on top of the short uppercut. That has been plain as day since his defense against Kimura.

Itagaki showing off in front of Saeki/that other guy - In case you forgot that Itagaki was the Flash, this is your reminder, as well as stealing the Jolt, but it's otherwise not memorable.

Takamura's most recent title defense - funny for the beginning where the crowd forgot it was going to happen, but an ultimately lovely match which wasn't good compared to his other lovely ones (like the one where he tried to do the look away). I'm only mentioning this because I think it was really that terrible.

Miyata vs RBJ - I will say that I was getting into the match once it started, but remember hating the last half, or hell maybe even just the ending, at time of reading. Some of that was Miyata-hate, maybe, but this fight was also very long. Maybe it's different when it's not plodding along one week at a time. I want more RBJ. :(

Gedo - Ridiculousness of some moves aside, I didn't mind this fight, and is the closest thing we'll ever have to an Aoki-ish fight against Ippo. I also have a soft spot for these two pages.

Short series of fights with Itakagi/Kimura/Aoki/Takamura/Miyata - Alright fights, but they're not why I read (except I do read for Aoki/Takamura fights). Come to think of it, this was a lame Takamura match too (beetle uppercut), but I didn't mind it so much.

Scratch J - Good fight, and this is about far enough, 151 or so chapters. Nearly 3 years, not counting off weeks.

So, I'd say it's at least been a pretty 'okay' few years with some slow-rear end spots (RBJ, and now Woli). But it's fine, as the 17 years before it are great.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

My expectation for this chapter was that it would end with Ippo mid-punch. Was I ever wrong.

God I still like this manga and want it to get better though :(

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Aoki's title fight animated would be glorious.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I'm looking forward to the Aoki title match. poo poo is still hilarious to this day.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

In another AnJ homage, Ippo kills a guy in the ring

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Biting Joe at least makes sense, more so than the rope to rope leaping punches or the double-backwards-somersault-with-a-twist uppercuts.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

it's gonna be "takamura beats up a weeaboo by dropping anime quotes mid-fight to distract him"

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

If you think about said character in certain terms, it makes perfect sense.

If you know your Ashita no Joe lore, Carlos Riviera gets the brains beaten out of him by Jose Mendoza, which helps spur Joe into challenging the world stage. (leaving aside the whole issue of who got blamed for carlos' situation)

So what Hajime no Ippo needs is a similarly foreign-but-known sacrifice to the endboss.

What's gonna happen is Wally's gonna get concussed stupid and that's how Ippo goes super sayajin returns to the ring as a 'monster.'

uhh I guess if I also wanted to speculate on Hoshi dying that would really lessen my great stolen idea so I'm gonna say that's not gonna happen, because I like feeling right

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

Fireworks factory etc.

Had we heard anything about who Mashiba's fighting and stuff? I don't remember any of his subplot. This isn't part of the Ricardo-Woli card, right?

There was an chapter where Ippo humorously vomited out information about Mashiba's opponent while at his pep-rally dinner. :v:

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 18, 2021

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

the mashiba family glare

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Jiro posted:

She's written not well as a potential love interest because she's too much like Ippo when it comes to personality. There have already been a few women in his orbit that acknowledge his passion for boxing while also bringing up the dangers of that life and not going passive aggressive about poo poo.

tbf ippo is denser than lead and got hit in the face for a living, how is he supposed to recognize a personality that isn't his own

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 27, 2022

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Woli knows that getting hit is bad and plans appropriately, unlike some other boxers in the manga

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I'm in for it, show me some clown fights, aoki hasn't been around for a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joHlERKyPZA

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

buncha cops itt

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

if woli does the harimau double corkscrew backflip uppercuts I will say it has gone a step too far

other than that this is way tamer than the ippo/woli fight and "HE KICKED OFF THE ROPE, WHAT'S NEXT, SWINGING FROM THE TREES THAT HE MAKES OUT OF TURNBUCKLES???" is funny but if you stuck around after ippo/woli and somehow this is the straw then I don't know what to tell you other than lol, lmao

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

standard wrestling heel stuff got some of y'all heated

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

bold move considering when he started ippo he was one foot in the grave

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

tbp posted:

all of ippo's abilities receive a 0.35 multiplier when he gets panicked which leads to him getting hit way more than he needs to. more than running another 10 miles he needs to spend time with a sports psychologist. it's actually fundamentally wacky that kamogawa never had him do this, you'd think he would when he noticed ippo hadn't gained like literally any confidence as a boxer despite winning the national championship and defending a bunch

kamogawa figures the burning japanese spirit evens it out, worked for him!

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

also doubleposting to emphasize I enjoyed your effort post tbp

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Patware posted:

at this point ippo's supplemented his ability to weave with the ability to overpower incoming punches by just catching or pushing them away, from all the mitt training. like he's not a COUNTER puncher but his defense now seems to be absolutely terrifying. an RL ippo now would probably express as someone who just lasts until the final few rounds deflecting punches and having god tier stamina until the opponent gets tired enough that their guard gets sloppy and then he just murders them

ippo the pursuit predator

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

ippo's "I'd rather give them 20 years to train..." line is adorkably paternalistic

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

i almost flat forgot that ippo seconded a fight of his and itagaki's been in a slump. maybe he'll show up again as part of a sparring partner for mashiba, who knows

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

WORLD LEVEL EVIL

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

It was the same fight where Ippo was casually asked if he knew anything about the challenger and then he rattled on for numerous panels iirc

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

in the end they just both loved loving around in the mud

i hope that couple is still together :>

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

micheal meyers lookin rear end

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

ippo and kumi will kiss within the next 5 chapters broccoman av toxx

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

oh god I just had the vision of ippo confessing to both kumi and boxing at the same time

I feel like to get over this arc that sort of needs to happen and kumi needs to either accept or reject it and as mashiba has finally accepted ippo now's the time gdi

but it can also land with a heavy comedic lead weight

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

I think there is an approval at this point, even if it is still begrudgingly for the sake of comedy. At this point I feel it's less Mashiba and more that Ippo and Kumi aren't right for each other, but Kumi has fallen into a sunk-cost fallacy so is doing her damnest to make it happen regardless.

chapter 1374

ippo is going to confess to kumi and go to the world

together

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

the pee-wee's great adventure eyes in the dark, I can't stop giggling at them

also lmao ippo casually dropping a "you'd make a great second" on page 10 and none of them realizing that when ippo says that he means "I love you"

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

No Wave posted:

Does Ippo have any understanding that he's stronger than everyone who isnt Takamura or Ricardo?

that dumb mf been asking himself the same question since the beginning of the series and hasn't answered it yet and now he has brain damage so he'll never figure it out

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

just spar already

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Rubellavator posted:

Wild to be revisiting Mashiba's backstory 30 something years later.

old and busted: dbz kai
new hotness: hni kai

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

GateOfD posted:

would not be surprised at all if they call upon Ippo as the closest thing they could find as a sparring partner, and to 'help out as best as he can', he just starts sparring south paw, and it's another bag of tricks Retired Ippo managed to train up from his coaching exp. and actually able to push Mashiba with it.

mashiba not processing any of the strategy in the present because his inner self is screaming that this is his chance to kill ippo and have it be plausibly legal to get away with would be funny, and then he has to flashback to it mid-fight and fight with his inner self then about whether or not to listen to that rear end in a top hat

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

we'll have to wait for the spinoff, Itagakimasu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

i'm crylaughing like a punch-drunk idiot because it's COMMITTED TO THE BIT FOR A WHOLE 18 PAGES

never doubt morikawa