Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I demand a massive OP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Jedah posted:

Yes, though I'm not quite sure how his current physique isn't totally freakish by now, or how he's remained comfortably in the same weight class despite becoming a superhuman.

At one point, it is shown that Ippo's own arm strength is almost equivalent to Takamura, during a game of arm wrestling. This was way earlier in the series too. Takamura is what, about 6 weight classes above Ippo?

I'd think, at the least, he'd resemble Shimabukuro's body type more, or maybe (at least) Sendo.

It's because Ippo is secretly black and has superior black muscles :ssh:

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Sir Lucius posted:

I just think Miyata is a very boring character and wouldn't mind if he could never box again.

I thought the same until he looked into the mirror and said, "Looking pretty rough there" back before this fight. That frame gave me Taxi Driver vibes for some reason :downs:

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Serious Frolicking posted:

By 'that' you mean Miyata? Awkward and disinterested in girls, obsessed with a guy. I know it is supposed to be that stupid endlessly delayed relationship nonsense, but Ippo is what, 24 or so now? He has been seeing Kumi for 5+ years now and they have yet to kiss. That poo poo doesn't work well in Infinite High School Land, much less when time actually flows. If it really mattered to him he would apply some hard work, which is sort of his specialty. Instead he has dedicated those years striving towards being closer to Miyata. Terrible taste in men aside, Ippo should really progress as a character instead of just as a boxer. I don't care if that means coming out, changing his lifestyle or even just getting further with boring old Kumi. Something has to change besides his ranking, even though I know nothing ever will.

I want a gay Ippo now...No matter how his character develops if it isn't this I will be disappointed.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I just re-read up to Ippo's first defense and realized one thing. This manga needs more loving Vorg. He was just too drat awesome.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

DamnGlitch posted:

Dear ippo:

Please make this fight super cool and not the poor lovely messes that the last couple big fights have been. Please do something so awesome that I can tell my friends "yeah, it gets a little cheap for a while but then it picks right back up!"

Please please make ippo a manga that I can once again tell people is super loving awesome, instead of 'yeah it kind of slows down after a while. I read it out of some misplaced optimism now'

Sincerely,
me
I think the author actually feels the same way. Using an entire chapter just to say, "this one will be like the old good fights!...please read it"

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Serious Frolicking posted:

Also, Miyata again? drat, Ippo really needs to come out of the closet

Fixed.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Geop posted:

Raw is up.

Seems to be a compilation fight of sorts..

Hmm. Here's to hoping this is functioning as a sort of re-cap fight and is being used to jump into the next major arc.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Maybe Woli will do his bounce off the rope bullshit, punch Ippo in the back of the head and get disqualified for it

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Man Vorg is awesome. More Vorg is what this manga needs.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Infinitum posted:

This manga needs more Vorg staring at random gravestones, looking stoic & solemn, quoting Russian poetry.

Someone please tell me there is a manga that is mostly this.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
If this is what a monekyboy can do I wonder what will happen to Ippo when he runs into an American backed by AMERICAN TECHNOLOGY AND TRAINING. I'm trying to figure out what gimmicks he can run into in the pacific still though.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Ippo's going to wake up from his nightmare the morning of the fight then go on and fight Woli fueled by the terror of his dream causing him to land that "perfect punch" combined with force that "surpasses human limits" causing him to knock Woli's head completely off.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I couldn't tell it was a new chapter until the last page.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I am pretending that this is a new manga and Woli is the main character.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 10, 2010

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Maybe this is just filler while he plots out Ippo's entry to the world stage and this is the author's idea of filler? That's plausible right? ...guys? :smith:

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I've figured it out Woli was born with a congenital heart defect.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Ippo's hands have become a printing press.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Fabricated posted:

I think it's funny how they do the right thing and make it a point to mention the potential for brain damage and actually make a point to note that most of the fighters go to the doctor/hospital after a fight to make sure there's no permanent damage. Then there's a character that's literally an example and warning of what happens if you take beatings for too long and get punch drunk...

Then they have Kamogawa and pretty much every other second in the series not throw in the towel when their boxers are getting their eye sockets caved in because they want to see them win.

That's my main problem with how Ippo fights really. If they didn't make the effort to mention the realistic effects of taking that much damage I'd just write it off as "its a manga/is shonenesque" rather than find it hilarious and a little sad.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

KittenofDoom posted:

"Makanouchi pulls out his deadliest weapon!"

*Pulls out his elephant cock and mixes it in with the dempsey*

Fixed.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Fabricated posted:

You forgot the bit where the protagonist or one of his friends/rivals somehow uses a skill from their sport to defeat some thugs menacing the homely love interest character.

I just imagined the Aokigumi breaking someone's knees with drivers/baseball bats.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

fivegears4reverse posted:

Don't care it's over :dance:

Sums up my thoughts perfectly.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Did 893 ever get translated?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Mr. Deathy posted:

The next thing coming up is the Class A tournament which Itagaki, Kimura and Aoki are all hoping to do well in.

It should be a decent change of pace but it's probably an excuse for Morikawa to take Itagaki's fights up another level of stupidity too. Just wait till he's punching at the speed of light.

The real question is: will Kimura finally get a KO? And in what new way will Aoki be a spectacular failure?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I just pretend his antics are enough to scare off any sponsors.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Ytlaya posted:

Occasionally Morikawa remembers that Ippo and his opponents are fighting in the featherweight class and stops drawing them as being buff.

The only way Ippo could look as buff as he does and still be featherweight is if he's like 5 feet tall.

Click here for the full 424x665 image.

Maybe not as huge as they were during Ippo V Sendo 2 but it'd be great to see him move away from twigppo.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Any news on more raws or translations?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Did Mori change up how he draws Itagaki's face? It seems to have changed but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I was wondering where my weekly disappointment was! It went up yesterday.
http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/899/

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I just realized something. At this point Karasawa is a better main-shonen character than Ippo is.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
917 is out too actually.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

trucutru posted:

And he has to build all that muscle without gaining weight! My theory is that all the brain matter he loses during each fight is replaced with muscle.

Besides his dick is there anything Ippo has not trained to the most extreme levels?

His rear end?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Ippo's weakness is that he does what Kamogawa says. Even from moment to moment inside a match. So he just has to listen to what Kamogawa says and bam, he is reading Ippo's mind.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I hope next chapter his hair starts glowing and he starts grunting while pebbles levitate around him then explode.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjmobevtKPs

Maybe we should just spend our time hoping for a new season of the anime so we can see the Kamogawa flashback.

Edit: Heh, Ippo's first fight winning trick was literally getting punched in the face.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 25, 2011

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Watching New Challenger again now. Man this manga was exciting when things like Ippo was actively working towards Ricardo as if it were an actual possibility were going on.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Fabricated posted:

I bet excepting this one-punch fight and the fight where he teabagged that one counter-puncher guy, he was losing by double-digit points until he won by knockout.

Sendo Vs. Vorg already showed the judges to be easily blinded by JAPANESE SPIRIT and big punches. He was probably ahead in points most of the time actually.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

frabba posted:

I think you're reading too much into a simple hometown decision. That likely wouldn't apply nearly as much given any of the domestic challengers (Hayami, Kobashi, Saeki, etc).

Probably, but its more fun to imagine the rest of the japanese boxing world as even more incompetent than Kamogawa.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

pnumoman posted:

I love how Ippo doesn't have any lingering damage from the head shot, but he gets a raging fever from walking home in the rain. And the response from everyone is that the fever is much more concerning than the loving vicious head shot.

I somehow suspect that its going to turn out that everyone is stupid and forgot about him taking that massive blow and he's going to end up... Nevermind who am I kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Fabricated posted:

The fact that Ippo needs to make the dempsey roll better isn't exactly a spoiler. He'll probably add a vertical element to it (motionless uppercuts). Dunno what he'd add to it while coming down since rabbit punches are illegal but whatever.

Probably some kind of retarded straight that dislocates his shoulder until Kamogawa plants more seed in him to build it up.