Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CaptainRat posted:

Everything in this manga except for the Woli fight feels like it happened 50 years ago, so for a moment there I forgot that Kimura and Aoki are in different weight classes and thus would not face each other in the Class-A tournament (although I'm sure there's probably a rule against entering more than one boxer from the same gym in the same weight class).

I still Remember the Miyata/RBJ fight. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nilbop posted:

I tried to get into this manga during the Woli arc.

Now I'm trying with this arc.

My main stumbling block so far is the fact that nothing ever loving happens. Maybe I just need to get used to the pacing of this better.

This manga is one of those manga's where it's best to read it in large chunks. If you haven't read the earlier parts read through them first. then you will eventually get back up to speed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Holy poo poo that two page spread. Almost made this entire build up worth it. Almost

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

...If all this build up doesn't lead to a OHKO I'm going to be pissed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

trucutru posted:

The hate, it makes us strong!

See it starts with you just using hate to make yourself stronger. but then you start bleeding from your eyes, and losing touch with reality.

Instead of hate. Finding entertainment in how bad and drawn out it is, is better for your long term health.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

tbp posted:

I don't know if you're joking or not but I'm pretty sure Miyata is still a featherweight, just throwing that out there because I remember people actually thought that he had moved up a class

Eh. I remember them making a big deal about Miyata moving up a weight class, and how it meant Ippo and Miyata would never have their rematch.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

http://somemanga.com/manga/Hajime_no_Ippo/939/

A New Chapter Appears.

Well that certainly was a chapter.

As expected it was a OHKO

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Volg is probably going to lose.

Volg is only used as a jobber to show just how good boxers on the world stage are.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

RAW SPOILERS For the End of the Fight

But seriously why does Itagaki almost never use his speed/fight like he should, He's not a stand your ground fighter. He should be running circles around that guy instead of standing in a corner trying to go punch for punch with him

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Eh Itagaki is fine.

He's just never fought anyone who had scouted him to the degree that Imai had.

Itagaki didn't really take him lightly at all. He was 100% focused on the match from the start. Imai just had a strategy that he executed to perfection. Itagaki has just never had to focus on his flaws as he was able to speed rush every other one of his opponents. The only thing Itagaki needs to change from this match is to mix up his tells, and escape moves.

Itagaki is overconfident, like every Non-Ippo fighter in the series is, but he didn't look down on Imai at all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bisse posted:

Totally disagree. He spent the first few seconds of the match absorbing cheers and thinking about how loving awesome he is and how hard he's going to win. That's what ended up costing him the match.

Even when Imai rushed him down and cornered him, even when he got hit on the shoulder and got his back to the corner, he didn't take anything seriously at until the moment he got fist in his liver. But at that point the match was already over.

But in the end the lesson from this fight is not that "i need to be even faster", it's that as Imai said, if he gets nailed once, if he gets held or outsmarted or out-lucked, so that he can't use his speed to run circles around the opponent, then he's got nothing. His punches are weak and he just can't take a hit at all. If it had been Ippo taking that body blow it would have been a pained grin at most and then right back to defending. If it had been Ippo (or Imai, or well anyone else really) in the corner, he would likely have managed to defend himself or get out somehow.

Basically Itagaki needs to be more than just a one-gimmick fighter or he's going to have more crushing defeats like this the moment his one gimmick doesn't work anymore. In a way this is a hard lesson for the World Stage, and Itagaki just learned it the hard way (so Ippo doesn't have to).

Eh? He didn't absorb cheers besides when he first got in the Ring before Imai was introduced. As soon as they touched gloves he went back to his corner and got his mouthpiece. Imai rushed him immediately and trapped him in a corner. Itagaki was confident he could get out as he has never had a problem escaping being cornered before. Imai just had him scouted to know how he gets out of those situations, and was able to come up with a counter to it.

Being confident and charismatic doesn't mean that you are looking down on your opponent. Itagaki has just never fought anyone who has scouted him and his tendencies to the degree that Imai did, as Imai has already lost to him once.

And yeah Itagaki has to get better. But It's not like it's the end of the world. Ippo and Itagaki are completely different Boxer's Ippo couldn't dodge any of those blows and has to build his body in such a way to tank the hits.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

How can you say Itagaki took this 100% serious when there is like half a chapter where the crowd is yelling at him to stop being cocky and put his loving guard up? Calling himself Cronos is exactly why he lost.

Haha You missed like 4 pages of that chapter.

It was Takamura, not the Crowd. And Itagaki had his guard down as a part of his strategy to use a counter to escape. Itagaki was 100% focused he just legit lost. Chalking it up to Itagaki not taking it seriously downplays the strategy that Imai used.

Also, Itagaki didn't create the Chronos name it was the ring announcer.

Edit:

http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1027/2042/5

http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1027/2042/6

http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1027/2042/7

Imai just didn't take the Bait.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 13, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

honestly the best way to read this series is to wait half a year, then catch up, then forget about it and read them all in bunches.

Kinda like the Hueco Mundo arc in Bleach

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah seriously, how the gently caress is that a spoiler?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

RIP

Edit: Though Real talk ending the series now would be pretty great

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 27, 2014

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Next level of the Dempsey is the 4th dimension. He's going to attack in the past present and future while weaving in and out between timelines.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

so the series is over then?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

If the author is sick or something and just wants to end the series on his his own terms I can't fault him too much.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

1211: https://m.imgur.com/a/2gjOM

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'm actually enjoying this series a bunch more now that Ippos not fighting.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

lmao that's called a concussion buddy.

Might wanna get that looked at.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So, Ippo has a punch that surpasses the Heartbreak Shot that stops your time.

This one literally goes back and just deletes the last fifteen minutes of your life from your brain.

Nah fam all punches can do that. It's called a concussion

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Onmi posted:

I really am hoping that Martinez doesn't have any bullshit "Super Moves" that we haven't seen like... just let he guy at the top of the boxing world be an extremely good fundamental boxer. Don't have him be "I was hiding my power level the entire time." crap.

Tbf what is a left jab if not a Super power in HnI

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So Morikawa's idea to beat Mayweather is "punch moar"

Honestly Yes.

But it's not easy to get a boxer to do it. Because you will take hits And it still might not work and catch the hard L, but it's literally your only chance.

You aren't going to out technical Mayweather, he is one of the greatest technical points fighters of all times. People who fell into that trap always got torn apart.

The people who did the best against him were ones who just said gently caress it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

This is true and there some unusual outliers who do well even coming off retirement. Mind you, said outliers were people who made their careers absolutely MINIMIZING the amount of damage they took throughout their careers(Floyd Mayweather, George St. Pierre). Ippo has...not exactly done this...AT ALL.

But now, he's learning how to actually fight. So anything is possible

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Seriously, are people really getting worked up about Kumi realizing Ippo still loves boxing and probably will want to box again, and not particularly feeling great about it after everything he's been through?

But since he's still not realized himself that he is going to want to box again she's not bringing it up for obvious reasons.

She's not being passive aggressive, she has flat out told him before she doesn't want him to box anymore.

She's just realizing how it's still in him, in a way he doesn't even and feels a type a way about it.

Also yeah it's funny

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I cannot believe Ippo managed to get me excited for a Wally Match.

But here I am.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ahahahhahahaha

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

God when he starts boxing again he is gonna be a monster now that he's actually like learning how to actually box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Not gonna lie, I want to see the Woli vs Ippo fight animated.