Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Coughing Hobo posted:

It's like whiplash, coming off of that terrible fight to genuinely good laugh-out-loud comedy.

Basically anything with Takamaura is guaranteed comedy goLd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Hope Itagaki gets his rear end beat. But no, Kamogawa Gym needs *three* unstoppable boxers.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Itagaki? Dude is hella lame and always comes off as a smug prick.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I would say it was established when Woli was bouncing around like a monkey that is manga is comedy.

Also really like how the smugness came off Itagaki. He'll probably win this fight seeing as the other was cocky as well. It isn't who is the fastest, it's who can out smug the other.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Hortism posted:

I wonder if Morikawa intentionally made Itagaki such a smug, unlikable bastard to set him up as a future opponent for Ippo.
Cause drat do I want to see him get knocked the gently caress out.

Seeing as we got a foreshadow of his rape face when Ippo has his back turned (forgot which chapter) I wouldn't be surprised if he got so cocky that just because he beat Ippo's KO times he thinks he would be better.

Only to get Dempsey Roll'd.

Good lord at the crazy bullshit this manga comes with though. Those flicker jabs were more ridiculous than Mashiba's.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Just when I thought this couldn't get more ridiculous. Oh hey we are moving blazing speed around the mat.

Who gives a poo poo, you guys can't land a drat punch. This isn't ballet goddamn it. It's boxing. Hah yeah I know, HnI boxing. hahaha

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Normally when people say Ippo is like DBZ with boxing, they tend to be exaggerating a bit.

This chapter however is basically DBZ with boxing. Now they are moving so fast that the people can't see? Go back to jet punches goddamn it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
loving predictable. Didn't think he would do the comparisons to another boxer. When was the last time he did that? I barely paid attention, last time was Ippo being compared to Tyson (when he was legit)

For this loving smug guy to have him channeling one of the most cocky bastards in real bastards in real boxing almost feels fitting.

Almost.

gently caress Itagaki. gently caress pun smug bastard. :colbert:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
hahahaha knew it.

JUST knew it was going to happen. I thought Ippo's fight was bad but this was worse. You know it's bad when you cringe at the explanation of the bullshit why it works.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
SMH. Whatever. I'm just faceplaming because dude is basically screwed. I hope that random thinking bites Itagaki in the rear end late.r

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
And of course when things go his way he gets Smug. I really hope he decides to get very cocky to challenge Ippo, only for Ippo to roll dempsey the smug out of him.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Better than the usual circus bullshit this manga throws. I felt more enjoyment reading those two chapters because it actually involved some BOXING.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

KittenofDoom posted:

Wasn't Ippo on the world stage to begin with? What about crazy banana boy and the magical glove dude?

Pretty sure it aint if his coach told him if he's ready to take on the world.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Dexo posted:

Volg is probably going to lose.

Volg is only used as a jobber to show just how good boxers on the world stage are.

It pretty much is. The fact that Sendo/Ippo are basically coming to the fact they would lose this fight pretty much confirms their fears. Much as I like Volg, it does really look like he's going to lose this one.

Still it's been a very enjoyable fight.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Holy poo poo what a small world. Miura worked under Morikawa? :psyduck: Also seconding the awesome Takamura that Miura did.

Also, goddamn it. Don't drag this too long.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
While I do think it is Mori being a little over the top with the whole corrupt thing, Boxing is indeed kind of corrupt. Who the hell watches boxing anymore when there are questionable outcomes in matches now.

It's kind of a lost sport.

Still a pretty good chapter though.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
'holy poo poo he actually won. What is this? Yay volf got a happy ending!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Ytlaya posted:

The weird racial eugenics stuff in Japanese sports manga never gets old. Mexican fighters have longer jabs! (or whatever strange generalization they were making).

Even it is leaving me confused. Mexican boxing is just being technical and taking punches. They don't emphasize on footwork though. I mean there is also some who like being flashy.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 19, 2013

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Fabricated posted:

One thing for sure is that Ippo is going to get snowballed for like 3/4ths of the fight. At least this time it'll be from a world ranker who is a proper orthodox boxer instead of a goofy skinny monkey kid who makes illegal use of the ropes and was a wannabe Hawk 2.0 but is nowhere has badass.

Fixed.

Also hopefully this fight isn't over the top. I mean jet punches, whatever that is fine. But nothing like Woolie.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
What a great chapter.

That loving spoiled smug brat needs to be knock down a peg. So far two good matches, I might get interested in Ippo more if this keeps up.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Wow what a chapter.

Probably my favorite was not only the punch but him realizing his punch was going really slow and he was too late to realize it. That's what you get you smug rear end

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Well at least he took the lost better than I thought. Yeah the fact he was more disappointing in not backing up his promise does kinda suck but hopefully with this he can learn he can't just rely on his speed.
Oh who I am kidding.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 15, 2013

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah. :(

Also crap it's on break? But we just barely started.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Opter posted:

That was pretty much my exact reaction to the chapter. On another note, am I only the only one who wants to see Martinez beat Ippo anyway?

Yes and No. Yes to make Ippo I dunno stop relying on tactics that are so simple that he think he can just take punches and tire out the enemy and deliver the final blow. And the other no, because goddamn how long as it been since Ippo has finally gotten into a match? Might as well progress forward.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
At least this one at least a had a proper chapter finish and didn't end in mid of a drat punch. :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Good to see the jet punches haven't left the animation. :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yay more chapters out. It's a good thing Morikawa recovered from his illness.

Basically more punching happened in the 3 chapters. So yeah.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Also Ashita no Joe also at least addressed the issues of main character taking too many punches. Seriously the whole fighting spirit thing is goddamn annoying.

I hope he gets wrecked in When he gets to the main fight.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
So all that build up for that.

Yeah.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Two new chaps.

Did he really just spend on chapter on Ippo getting back up... Come on. Granted it's hilarious how for someone who has been the champion is acting like a newbie after getting knocked down.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Even though it's not new content. Took the coach long enough to figure out.

MAYBE charging in wasn't the brightest idea.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ippo should already have an Ashita no Joe ending at this rate.

Sheesh.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Just everything about this fight irritates me. I mean we see Ippo getting bested at everything and the coach is like KEEP MOVING FORWARD. It's like he almost doesn't give a poo poo about Ippo. Takamura's fights are much more entertaining. Hell goddamn Itagaki's smug rear end fighting was more entertaining and I hate him.

I mean the fact that Ippo was like GOTTA bring out everything just screamed bad. Like what the opposite a boxer should do.

It's a shame, I mean this series has it's bright moments like Wolf becoming a champ. But Ippo? His fights just are boring rear end rising spirit bullshit.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I swear the last panel of that one.

You can barely see Ippo's eye, it looks he's just fighting like a blood crazed zombie. Also cut off at page 13. It sucks when that happens. It also feels like dude is taking lessons from bleach. Fights never drag out this long.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Wow.

I was expecting Japanese burning spirit bullshit but he actually lost. Maybe the Coach will learn to stop making Ippo charge head on. Kinda wish the fight didn't drag out, I mean probably animation wise this fight will look great but it took too long to get the conclusion. Granted I know what the author was going for but maybe it would've been better if the panels didn't all feel the same.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hmm..

I wonder if Takamura felt just slightly jealous there. Either that or he wants to remind the coach that there is still a 2nd hope. I agree with everyone else. Takamura has at least a goal, Ippo does not. Well at least he got back up. Probably next chapter he'll be crying his eyes off though. I just hope something comes out of this because Ippo has been on cruise control lately.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Anyone who hates Takamaura should get Demspey Roll'd. :colbert:

I always like that about him, he is a cocky brash smug rear end in a top hat but goddamn could he back it up. Plus his fights were always goddamn awesome.

I still enjoy watching his animated fights versus Hawk. It was soooo good.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That was a really good chapter.

This is why I enjoy characters like Takamura. Yeah he may be a cocky dude but he knows his poo poo. He does have a point, why does Ippo want to keep fighting? If it's Miayata, that dream is dead if I recall, they can't ever have a match. I forgot which chapter it was but someone pointed out they won't be able to cross paths anytime.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ManOfTheYear posted:

Picked up Ippo from where I left it a couple of months ago, at chapter 753. It's been pretty good to this point, honestly can't really complain, but is this gonna turn into poo poo at some point? This thread seems to be all about that.

Also Ippo has been wanting to "get stronger" for years now and after so many fights. How come all of this is still about his self-esteem? I understand how "beating himself" would have been his motive at first but jesus christ still? People get over that even without boxing.

The manga isn't that bad, I mean you have the advantage of not waiting like we did. Not to mention there was a time where the chapters releases were slow downed, and there is sometimes maybe half a chapter. It was ridiculous.

But yeah like everyone says, Woli.

gently caress that drat fight.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ManOfTheYear posted:

Well I got to Woli, and isn't he kinda really racist? Dude's from Indonesia and he just climbs trees and eats bananas like a monkey and all of his fellow villagers have banana leaves for clothes and poo poo. All the thai and filipino fighters were more or less regular characters, but Woli is kinda cartoony in a wrong way.

We warned you that the Woli fight was bad. especially considering he does a bunch of poo poo that wouldn't be allowed in the ring. Yeah I know this manga exaggerates to an extent, but Woli was the worst out of them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Simoom posted:

Haha the sea guy was definitely the worst. Those are my favourite Ippo fights, because this series is horrible and it's really fun to watch him cram as many stupid references to the stupid gimmick as possible. Didn't Woli do like a flying top rope punch at one point?

Yeah something like that, hence why I said he did bullshit that wouldn't fly in the ring. He literally bounces on the loving ropes.