Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Vorg is the best :allears:

I take it this is from the new anime season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

Nothing throws you off your game like wondering if you are accidental fighting somebody with downsyndrome.

To be fair, that did happen when Date was fighting the World Champ. Date was getting hammered on so much that the champ feared he was going to outright kill him, and that hesitation allowed Date to get some blows in.

Um, but Date did lose in the end, so... nobody learned anything from that, especially not Ippo.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Not strictly an Ippo update, but there was an interesting parallel drawn between Hajime no Ippo and Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru in recent updates. In the latest fight, the main 'antagonist', if you can call him that, forfeited a fight because he was afraid he would cripple or kill his opponent. The fight had the antagonist, Samart, practically untouched, while his challenger, Kaoru, had multiple severe injuries, such as a broken jaw. Somehow, because of the 'fighting spirit' in Kaoru's eyes, the referee allowed the fight to go on, but Samart, seeing Kaoru in such a crippled state, and still traumatized by his past incident where he killed a fighter who refused to go down, forfeited the fight to save Kaoru's life. It's interesting to see a character refuse to take part in the suicidal Japanese fighting spirit cliche like that, and act with compassion for life over some warped 'respect' for the fight. Comparing this to the Ippo fight, where Date's fight with the champion ended up with him being crippled for life. The situations were practically the same, where the champion was untouched and the challenger, Date, was horribly injured. In Ippo, though, the champion didn't want to 'disrespect' the challenger and ended up finishing him off brutally to end the fight. It's arguable on what is the right 'attitude' for these kind of events.

On the other hand, you could say that it's not up to the fighter to decide when the fight is done or not; it should be the seconds/referee that decides if the fight goes on. It's really quite shocking how many of these anime fights go way past the point where they should stop. I know it's for exaggerated drama, but it becomes particularly pronounced in these otherwise semi-realistic depictions of sports. I don't think I've ever actually seen a fight end with a doctor stop for a cut/injury in an anime, when I've seen tons of UFC fights end instantly when the opponent has a clear advantage.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Oh lawdy!

MMA Experts Breakdown Hajime No Ippo • How Realis…: https://youtu.be/vb8M3Wt8cOk

Gotta love how we now have legitimate, professional validation from experts on what has been said so many times in this thread before: the coach has no idea what he is doing.

I was expecting the video to just be about the fighting techniques (flicker, dempsey roll, smash, etc.) but I loved how the MMA experts kept ragging on the coach. They were really getting into the psychology of being a fellow gym member, a coach, and a cornerman, and how everyone in the Kamogawa Gym is so bad at that. To me, it's like the number one reason Ippo lost his fight to Eiji Date: Takamura and the coach just dumped on Ippo about how the champion is so powerful and how he's not worthy to take up that position. So much negativity in that gym; where's the support?!

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hawk's trainer seems to just have a good eye for Talent. It's how he got Woli too.

A little silly if you think about it though: Miguel thought they could just ride through with their raw talent and unique fighting styles, but in both instances, his fighters lost because they did not have enough boxing fundamentals drilled into them. Why in the world did he count on Woli/Wally when he already learned this lesson from Hawk? It's been awhile since I read, so maybe he does give an excuse and I'm just not remembering it.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

Miguel is basically the only person in the series to acknowledge that Kamogawa is a lovely coach

Don't forget Vorg's coach, Ramuda, who famously said: "I find that Japanese trainers always spout the same answers. Answers like "fighting spirit" and "great effort" as they continue to push their fighters—and as a result, the fighter's career is shortened. Youth with immeasurable talent are broken..." Even Kamogawa couldn't say anything back to that.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Onmi posted:

And that means...? You splice in some jobber fights in between those fights, with the exclusion of the retirement fight for obvious reasons, so that the national champion fights can...? Mean more. Yes.

Mike Tyson whom Ippo gets a lot of his style from, fought a lot of national champion level boxers, and you know what didn't happen to him? He didn't get hamburgered. Joe Fraiser who was definitely another inspiration didn't dodge everything with crazy head movement, but he had a very tight defense and unleashed in a moment.

The issue we have is Ippo's fighting style is meant to be "Peekaboo boxing with a tight guard, with erratic head and body movements to avoid strikes to get into range to unleash the pain."

Ippo doesn't fight like that though. Ippo fights by getting the poo poo beat out of him and turned into hamburger and then gutting through it looking like a dead man at the end. And because of this, because he's always fighting like this, no matter who his loving opponents are, that means the standard Ippo fight does not get to be defined as "Ippo's a good boxer" but instead "Ippo is a lovely boxer who's strategy never works"

Sisphar, Gedo, Kojima. All three of these fights, there's no reason he should have walked away without decisive victories. Instead, he walked away with the poo poo kicked out of him.

Everyone can talk about how boring it is that Takamura gets as many jobber fights as does, but those Jobber fights help establish that when he's against world-class opponents like Hawk and Eagle, that those opponents are special for being able to push him as far as they can. In contrast, Ippo never gets Jobber fights, so he as champion looks weak, because even people who he should roundly crush, are taking to pain town.

I remember being annoyed and dissatisfied with Ippo vs Sanada (the doctor). I know it was a movie fight so they had to punch it up, and that Sanada wasn't a pushover, but this was coming right off of Ippo beating Sendo who may as well have been the strongest man in the world, and here's Ippo getting absolutely demolished, gasping for air, and not even being able to put the doctor down decisively with the full Dempsey combo. Did he not improve at all? Where has this doctor been all this time? And that was even before all of the other ridiculous fights like Gedo and Shimabukuro who Ippo should've been able to clown on. Definitely a case of wanting to make every fight to be epic, but with no dramatic contrast between them, it just feels stagnant.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Got my hands on the raws and a sneak peek at Wally/Miguel's upcoming final trump card:

Ok, ok, just kidding, it's actually this:

"C'mon referee, not allowing bites? Clearly favoritism!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

I've probably mentioned it before (EDIT I absolutely have), but I've always been annoyed with Kamogawa when it came to the Date fight where he just kept hammering in the point that a champion is some sort of otherworldly opponent with much heavier punches than any challenger could ever muster: Ippo absolutely could've won if he was just in a better mental state and didn't view Date as some sort of unstoppable magical being that he wasn't worthy to fight. Hell, it wasn't even Kamogawa: Takamura kept putting Ippo down as well constantly. For god's sake, it's one thing to be cautious and humble, but aren't you supposed to be on your fighter's side as a hype man, in a way? I can't find it right now, but I remember watching one of those 'coach reacts to Ippo' vids and even he was calling out how negative Ippo's coaches were being when they should be supporting him to stay positive.

EDIT Sure enough, just check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb8M3Wt8cOk at around 4:40

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 15, 2023