Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I'm not an expert in wearable weights but wouldn't wearing all that all the time be detrimental to his body? He's going to hurt something or move something out of position.

Fun chapters nonetheless, but it feels like they're setting up for a bait and switch between Ippo and Takamura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Coughing Hobo posted:

I think the point is that Ippo is so singularly transfixed on using the new Dempsey that he's ignoring the hundreds of opportunities to remove organs and vaporize his opponent, whose name I can't even be bothered to remember.

It's an actual, legit reason for Ippo to be playing off his game, instead of the whatever thousands of other nonsense reasons we get for Ippo taking massive damage just so he can activate his Samurai Spirit for a turnabout win.

Yeah, and he's realised it (relatively) quick too. Instead of maybe 8 chapters of him going through the same motions, he's already realised he's messing up somehow, even if he can't quite realise why himself.

He came in strong, had the correct gameplan, the opponent's more or less out of gas, and he's still not got it in the bag, even though everyone else, opponents included, think he's got it in the bag.

Doesn't excuse all those other fights tho.

Jose posted:

i decided to read these chapters after not reading since woli and they should dump all the ice down his trunks again

Go back to just before chapter 1,000 and start reading, you missed out on a great Volg fight.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Wild Horses posted:

on another note its funny how takamura is chiding ippo for losing control.. i mean come on now

Hey, come on, he's always in control, like in that fight where he only threw uppercuts. That's some control right there!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Take your time.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Vorg's one was so good, it ran through chapter 1,000. Just start a little before that to see what's up.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I really wish we'd hit this level of analysis in a much earlier point of time. It's interesting to see Sendo contrast why it was difficult to hit people vs why it's difficult to hit Alf. Sure it happened here and there but for hundreds of chapters it was all getting around one gimmick instead of diving into various aspects like this.

Still enjoying the fight tremendously! Go main characterrrr

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Really liking that we're seeing Alf's thought process here and how scary it is to be facing a big punch when you can see it coming, plus being out of stance for a counter too

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Huzzah! posted:

Is Martinez a bit like Saitama, bored and jaded by having no competition at his level? He even got to keep his hair, lucky fellow.

Martinez : * fights Date for like eight rounds, breaking Date's hand and forcing Date to retire, while never being in trouble and never getting hit clean

Martinez : that was the toughest match i ever had you should be proud samurai spirit woop woop

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

The theoretical Had-A-Reliable-Coach-His-Whole-Career Tyson could have done it.

I don't know much about history boxing, but does this mean Tyson was that scary with a coach that wasn't all that?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Boco_T posted:

Chapter 1324
Maybe we're finally like 2-3 chapters from the fight?

If we're lucky

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Takes No Damage posted:

Or his newfound supernatural observation skills will finally allow him to... what's the word I'm looking for... dodge(?) punches. Like, what the gently caress Miyata, it should be EASIER to tell if someone is left handed by watching them in their daily lives :rolleyes:

Look man, if he can see the punches coming, it'll be much easier to tank the blow by pushing his head into it. That's just science

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

doomrider7 posted:

This is true and there some unusual outliers who do well even coming off retirement. Mind you, said outliers were people who made their careers absolutely MINIMIZING the amount of damage they took throughout their careers(Floyd Mayweather, George St. Pierre). Ippo has...not exactly done this...AT ALL.

In universe there's also Date FIGHTING SPIRIT Eiji

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Rubellavator posted:

They're bringing back the opponent from maybe the worst fight in the manga, and lmao if Hoshi just loving died

I spoiled myself on this sentence before I read the chapter and was like "Are they bringing back Gedo???"

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Praying for the next chapter that Ippo doesn't decide to tank the hit to get an exchange please don't tank the hit please dodge it or parrty it please please PLEASE

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Garrand posted:

Ippo tries to dodge but fails because, despite his increased physical skills, he still has some brain and eye damage and this shows to him that he can never return to the ring.

The first step is admitting that you just can't anymore.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

One think I like for this chapter is all of the lateral movement! I feel like for at least a decade, there was so little lateral movement used in Ippo's fights. Even if they did happen, they must have been so few because I'm blanking on any lateral movement panels. Closest I can think of is the Karasawa squash (but that was more cutting him off before he can escape the corner using diagonal steps) which is very different from what happens in this chapter.

Also, jabs! Lots and lots of jabs!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I am. I hope Woli dies from injuries dealt by Ricardo while doing his Blanka from SF2 tricks and that finally convinces Ippo to return (to avenge Woli? I guess?)

Ippo: *watching Woli die from his shenanigans* I understand now. The basics are really important!!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Me, hoping for a Ricardo Martinez blowout:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I like this chapter but kinda wish it happened 2-3 chapters ago, just skipping the filler.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

What if Wally makes it back, and he learns of Miguel's final trump card. "Hey, remember that one time you lost? You remember what he did? When you're being punched, that means you are in range to punch himTRADE BLOWS" and then Wally tries that and Ricardo is like lolno my punches are more straightforward, faster and accurate so why would we ever trade and then Wally loses and Ippo will be like "The fundamentals and avoiding damage.......are important!!!!!!" and he takes his second step

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

CharlestonJew posted:

“He’s on the same level as me!”

Ricardo you beat him like a rag doll let’s calm down here

I mean, when you go back to the previous Ricardo fight, where he was like "Oh, Date survived into the later rounds against me. I blocked his greatest punch with my elbow, shattering his hand. This is the toughest fight I've ever been in woof."

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

GateOfD posted:

i'm ready for a new ippo going into new matches and instead of face-tanking every hit like he usually does

just outright starts parrying/catching every punch and counterpunching everyone, and everyone just starts sweating bullets

hey he did it once! against a guy ranked like sixth or something it was p cool

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Takes No Damage posted:

Is that the guy who thought he could tank Ippo's hits by doing lots of crunches? That's the only fight I remember him really dominating from beginning to end. He also completely destroyed the number 5(?) guy right after the Rookie King to get him close enough to challenge Date, but even that wasn't a sure thing at first.
I don't remember crunches specifically, but I do remember the guy's name was Karasawa! It was maybe a 5-ish chapter match, where Ippo kept walking forward and slowly cornering Karasawa into the corner.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He became the god of time and then got owned due to hubris.

One of my fave fights, thank you for reminding gonna reread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

This chapter is Ippo's first step....in understanding social media