Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.
Needs more pictures, words and possibly homosexual undertones between Miyata and Ippo.

Soth fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Guyver posted:

844 is up
CROSS COUNTAAAAAAAAAAA. I'm inclined to call it at this point because I can't think of too much else that can be done. Miyata's ribs are done, his right is done, his left doesn't have any power left in it. Basically, if Randy gets up, Miyata is done barring one of the more ridiculous displays of FIGHTING SPIRIT.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

I just think Miyata is a very boring character and wouldn't mind if he could never box again.

Echoing that sentiment. It's not like he only had enough for that last right, then did another SUPA COUNTA after it which he somehow went even further beyond the impossible (ROW ROW) and his ribs apparently disentegrated or anything, so it's not unjustifiable. But knowing my prediction track record, I doubt it. :( Actually, he was done with that weight class after his RBJ fight right? Does that mean he could reach his full potential?

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

alkanphel posted:

I think he was simply being used to set up that random punch on Sakaguchi.

Lets face facts, the arc was all Miyata, so we may as well have it finish with something for Miyata. The plus side is, of course, he's out of action for a while so we can see someone else in the spotlight for 100+ chapters.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

this series is becoming about spamming your signature move
The author wants to make it more like the Hajime No Ippo video games. :shobon:

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Nubian Robodin posted:

I hope they build up the Indonesian champ a lot and then Ippo absolutely crushes him.
This has absolutely no precedent at all.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Cap N' Crunch posted:

:siren: actual new manga :siren:

<everyone> MAN IPPO SURE IS BETTER THAN US! <Ippo> TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN <Takamura> MAN I SURE AM BETTER THAN IPPO

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

So close to the fight. SO. CLOSE.

HOLY poo poo RABBIT NISHIMOTO VS. ARAI KUMA ARE YOU GUYS AS PUMPED AS I AM?!

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

I'm guessing that Mogli is something like Martinez's and Hawks bastard love child, so he's either going to dodge hits and we're going to see a awesome gently caress you dempsey roll moment, or he's going to minimize that tank shot to a nerf hit through moving his body to just barely dodge hits.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/870/

HE JUST HIT HIM WITH A GODDAMN SMASH!

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Guyver posted:

The coach's plan is to work their way through all the National champions of the OPBF. So that means 16 more fights till he's done and any Japanese fighters that come his way.

STRETCHIN DIS poo poo OUT. Lets not forget all the other guys having their fights too.

Chapter 2,136 - Miyata and Ippo's Destined Match Intro
Chapter 2,137 - The author dies of old age, SORRY BROS.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

DamnGlitch posted:

I hate coming up with these "it would be okay IF" scenarios, but the only way I'll really love this fight at this point is if woli throws every one of the past punches ippo has faced, and each time it hits ippo ippo goes "Too late, already felt that one before" and punches him so loving hard his jaw flies off and into the crowd and a guy in the crowd gets his eye poked and then ippo goes to prison for ruining a guys eye and comes out a year later with an even greater love for boxing and ASHITA NO JOE.

Liver punch, Smash, DEMPSEY would be the most hilarious thing Woli could do to Ippo though he'll probably just be Miyata and Hawks gay baby.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

I'm surprised Ippo hasn't succumbed to brain damage yet, took Rocky 5 movies but Ippo has gotten way more beatings, or maybe he already has....

JAPAN IS SUPERIOR.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

pnumoman posted:

Pshhh, everyone knows Ippo's just gonna get punched around for another ten chapters or so until Woli gets freaked out by his tenacity, so then Woli makes a mistake, Ippo lands one punch and *KAPOW* they're suddenly equally hurt.

Then another five chapters of the deep, deep of determination of Ippo, then 3 chapters of Woli seeming like he's gonna pull it out, then another two chapters to set up the two page spread of Ippo mutilating Woli.

Then they become bosom buddies, funny scene about Ippo's penis, annnnnd back to training.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna read it all. But still...)

I hate that you're right. :sigh:

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

:ughh: vs. :negative:

Which is more applicable to this latest turn of events in the Ippo universe?

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Infinitum posted:

*sigh* Guys, you just don't get it alright? Woli is a really good boxer.

In all seriousness though I wonder if the Japanese fans of Hajime no Ippo are as pissed off as we are.

Well, the masochistic ones probably loving love it.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

HOLY poo poo ACTUAL ALMOST MEASURABLE PROGRESS IN THE FIGHT. Still rooting for Ippo to get dropped, but lord knows that won't happen.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Gravity? That image perfectly encapsulates this fight I think.

:ughh: I don't even know where to begin with this.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Cap N' Crunch posted:

this would actually be hilarious and would own, a satisfactory conclusion to this fight
The most hilariously corrupt judges ever.

:stat: Well Ippo hit him once!
:wal: Yeah but Woli is brown so it counts more!

apekillape posted:

Shamo is great, but it's basically Kenichi + Berserk.

Which makes it amazing, but soul-crushing.
Also it's frozen right now at the tail end of pretty much the entire series (insofar as I can tell) while the author and artist duke it out in court. The manga is pretty good, and it has a movie too.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I tried reading Slam Dunk and just couldn't get into it. I can't find basketball interesting no matter how hard I try :( Eyeshield 21 is pretty cool, though, largely because of the variety of unique characters.
Try something like Kuroko no Basuke. It's about the same level of seriousness as Eyeshield 21 in terms of plays and such, i.e. over the top and maybe a bit embellished, but probably doable.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

884: DON'T loving BOTHER

Raws out, and I don't think that needed any spoilers.

This does, though: If Ippo can last a few more brain shattering punches, he's managed to at least touch Woli again. I think we might see something retarded like a counter punch, or just a sacrificial blow.

I WILL poo poo A KIDNEY SO I CAN GRAZE HIS HAIR

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

I honestly believe Woli is going to overexert himself with his jumping around and nonstop punching. He will fall victim to his own style, and then it'll just be 6 taps from Ippo to topple him.

This is going to be worse than it sounds.:smith:

http://www.strimoo.com/video/14179682/Ken-Shamrock-Vs-Kazuyuki-Fujita-Pride-10-Veoh.html

Ippo is Kazuyuki Fujita, Woli is Ken Shamrock.

CALLING IT NOW.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Vagrancy posted:

Chapter 883 scan out
MIYATAWOLI KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN :gay:

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Serious Frolicking posted:

Let's be fair, it didn't have that far to fall after Gedo.

It's been building a basement so it can fall further.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

I badly, BADLY want to see Ippo lose this one. A bit of soul searching about the higher level of people he's going to fight and a poo poo ton of training (Grab... THIRTY leaves.) and then have him fight somebody else who isn't Woli, as well as setting up Woli in Miyata's place as Ippo's rival.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

page not found posted:

887 raw is up! Huzzah for idiots only using lovely upload sites!

Edit: wtf. Ridiculously small pictures. Hopefully something real will come up.

ahahaha jesus christ the logo is a 5 and a half meg bitmap.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Matlock Birthmark posted:

So it's really looking like Woli might lose due to injuring/tiring himself out? Excellent, then Ippo's parallel with the boxing career of Homer Simpson shall be complete.

I still maintain that Ippo is obviously based on Kazuyuki Fujita. :colbert:

Soth fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 18, 2010

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Globular Fellow posted:

Ghost Ippo's a metaphor jesus

It is his Bankai. :c00lbutt:

Soth fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 9, 2010

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Geop posted:

Edit: Supposedly, what Kamogawa says on the final page is basically "the seal has been removed". I'm curious what Dempsey Roll 3.0 looks like. Is it just the same thing he used against Sawamura, but his joints can handle it now?

One can only hope it ends up with a IRON FIST DEMPSEY ROLL. Every bone in Woli's body is crushed and we never. EVER. have to see this fight again.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

All Rounder Meguru, Kuroko No Basket, and Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru are my sports mangas of choice at present. Of those, either Kuroko or Minoru would compare well to Ippo, depending on how you do the comparisons. Kuroko has the hyper-specialized opponents of the week who eventually become somewhat buddies, but Minoru has the Takamura and Aoki/Kimura knockoffs.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Forest Fuckery posted:

This thing is weirdly infuriating.
It seems that the general message is "Karate is superior and if you do something else there's something very wrong with you"
Every other kind of martial arts is useless, and if you know Brazilian jujitsu you must be a gay rapist.

And they still recruit the rapist wtf

Amend to "Japan is superior and if you are from somewhere else there's something very wrong with you." and you basically have Ippo. Basically everyone from another country was a huge rear end in a top hat in one way or another barring Volg.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Mr. Deathy posted:

Seriously though Christ, with that going down, Aoki, Kimura and Itagaki still having fights in the series, Takamura still pursuing his ambition...this series could potentially be dragged out for like another 10 years. Obviously before Ippo challenges Martinez too he's going to be fighting more Western boxers.

The power of black people. CAN IPPO SURPASS IT? ... umm... AGAIN?

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

If he hasn't fallen outside the ring in the next chapter, I'mma be pissed.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Mr. Deathy posted:

It might come down to him not being able to think for himself well and only following strategies that Kamogawa has set for him, which are now predictable, so his weakness there being that he doesn't think for himself, he's too reliant on his coach, something like that.
The extension of that could be that he's memorized Ippo's timing, or possibly that he has a tell, much like in poker.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Wong Dongson posted:

Literally any other boxing manga more engaging at this point. 10,000% more interested in what would happen next in RRR than Ippo. Man, I can not even remember the last meaningful thing that happened in this manga. Must have been *years* ago.

Wish that someone would pick up Boys on the Run so I could have some form of boxing manga that wasn't terrible :(

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

frabba posted:

Calling it that Ippo uses the Date head twist and isn't hurt at all.

Dropped in the first round, gets up at a 8 count. Fight continues normally.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Jose posted:

Everyone should just start reading RRR. Its nice reading something where the characters might have a chance at actual development

How about Tough? Sure the main character is somewhat of a Mary Sue, but at least the fights don't stretch into 5 chapter staring matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Wong Dongson posted:

The thing is, the current slump is measured in years and years and years and years. At the point when the slump has a chance of eclipsing the the entire rest of the run, there is a serious problem beyond "Manga has run for a long time".

Yeah, I mean, look at Ippo's last few fights. Kojima, Wali, Gedo, Scratch J. Scratch J was decent, but beyond that, all crap. Gedo first rolled what, mid 700's? That's about 4 years, more or less.