Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

Man, Ippo looked like a midget on the early chapters, the artstyle has come a long way.

Well he was also like 15 or 16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jedah posted:

Yes, though I'm not quite sure how his current physique isn't totally freakish by now, or how he's remained comfortably in the same weight class despite becoming a superhuman.

At one point, it is shown that Ippo's own arm strength is almost equivalent to Takamura, during a game of arm wrestling. This was way earlier in the series too. Takamura is what, about 6 weight classes above Ippo?

I'd think, at the least, he'd resemble Shimabukuro's body type more, or maybe (at least) Sendo.

comic book.

No but seriously he's super short and he's not over training muscles like a body builder might, plus you can infer that he has a sort of natural strength. His punch has always been strong most of his training has been to build up other muscles to support his power and deliver it in different ways

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

This is just taking too long, I mean, I know it's how usually a fight goes in Ippo, but the ammount of punishment Myata took is just astounding.

So? It's just a very early state of the author's drawing, it just goes to shows how he evolved, it's no wonder the anime didn't kept this early look for Ippo.

His art style AND ippo's size changed.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

sephiroth669 posted:

Mashiba looked totally different when he first appeared, as time went on his features became more and more 'evil' looking.
One thing about the overall art style, he has always drawn ears like a retard :downs:

And about 844, who else thinks Miyata wins the fight but ends his boxing career? Glass ribs?

I think that would be ideal. Otherwise it would be pretty bogus in terms of believability

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Broken Toaster posted:

I remember this. I believe the coach's thinking for this was also that it would help Ippo improve for the world stage.

I just hope they time lapse this a bit. I'm really looking forward to less gimmicks and more ippo just destroying people. The guy he took out all calm and cool without the dempsy was one of my favorite fights because it finally seemed like he was the loving champion and not punch drunk love.

Ippo always wins but the way he's been winning seems to be more stringing us along more than anything.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Broken Toaster posted:

I can't really see Itagaki leaving the gym though.

Considering how much he's talked about not leaving the gym it's either horrible foreshadowing and he will, or he'll actually wait and snatch up the belt. I think if he does he'll swap gyms while ippo is in the OPBF. The fact that the coach is making ippo hold the belt while fighting in the other league is kind of hosed up and I can see that as enough reason for itagaki to swap gyms since he'll have no where to grow in the mean time while ippo takes another 4 years to make it to the world.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jedah posted:

I thought part of the benefit of this thread was not using spoiler tags? Well, in any case, I'm looking forward to Ippo's next fight, hoping that he won't fight like a retard again. He does a brilliant performance vs Karasawa then turns back into a lovely boxer. Mori, you tease!

Now they are talking about a raw that hasn't been translated so yes they should be using spoilers.

Come on man you gotta know how this works. Newest chapter is spoiled, future chapters are spoiled, and once the new chapter comes out you don't have to spoiler the old ones anymore.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

I just think Miyata is a very boring character and wouldn't mind if he could never box again.

word at least in terms of plot thatd be great

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

tazman posted:

Latest chapter just came out. http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/

Pretty good chapter for an aftermath I suppose. I was right atleast about Randy Boy getting massively hosed up after that punch. Although the whole "eternal chasing of Miyata" is loving bullshit. Noone wants that, everyone wants them to fight. I can't see the manga ending any other way.

The problem I see is if ippo and miyata fight the manga is basically over. I'm guessing the mangaka realized this and decided to not get people's hopes up about it anymore. Miyata changing classes pretty much cements that's it's not gonna happen, sicne It's unlikely he'd be able to drop down again once he gianed the weight, and there's almost nothing ippo could do to raise a weight class except to purposely gain weight, which is unlikely I think.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Leonard Leroy posted:

Why can't Ippo put on the weight? If he runs out of rivals, or if just plain really, really wants to, it's very possible that he'll put on another 4 pounds to fight his rival. Fighters do it very often. Hell, arguably the best boxer alive right now, Manny Pacquiao, went from super featherweight(130) to lightweight(135) to welterweight(147) in one year. His next fight is at junior welter (140). His rival, consensus number 2 boxer, Juan Manuel Marquez, is chasing him from 130 to 135 to 140. Actually, if you wanna get into boxing, just follow those two boxers. They're making history and proving each others' greatness.

Tommy Hearns, the basis for Mashiba, fought at welterweight(147) all the way to Cruiserweight(190 in his time).

Bernard Hopkins started at 160 went to 175 and is now going cruiser (200), just because he can.

I think Ippo moving up in weight is a very easy way to add tension and drama to the series. And a very easy way to make Ippo the underdog.

Miyata's deficiencies are chin and stamina -- moving up a class can very easily get rid those and turn him back into a monster for Ippo to fight.

There is no way he'll change weight classes after A) just admitting he wants to chase not fight miyata (or something to that effect) and B)all the reach for the world / RICARDO MARTINEZZZZZZ jazz). Considering that Ippo is at his peak in his weight class as is and he stands to gain NO benefit from going up a class besides having even more powerful, tall fighters to deal with. If he were dealing at any point with weight management or even having to stop from bulking up to stay in calss I might think so but seeing how short he is and how much trouble he has with every dumb motherfucker that comes around to challenge for his belt, going up a class just doesn't make sense. Plus he just entered the OPBF to take the featherweight belt.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Leonard Leroy posted:

Dude, fighting spirittttttttttttt!

But yo, height isn't the end all be all of weight class -- although Ippo is tiny. I kinda imagine him like Dwight Qawi, 5'7, 200 pounds. The Camden Buzzsaw. Ippo will have to change up his style, but he can do it because he's the main character.

but he's like 5'0 he's like the shortest guy in the FEATHERWEIGHTS. I mean, the deep sea dude was shorter but that's been it. What happens when he goes up and there are guys with his power AND superior reach...?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

tazman posted:

Where does it say that? Seriously, link us. Because i'm drat sure its just been alluded, not actually confirmed. The common consensus is that he should go up one, but he stays in featherweight because of Ippo.

and then he decided the randy was the one he had to fight (which was alluded to for like 2 volumes) and now he's ready to reach "HIS FULL POTENTIALLLLLL"

So they might fight at the end but we are no where near the end so why wouldn't miyata at least go up in the mean time? Plus it's pretty apparent that they want to fight at full strength so it'll probs be a non title match or an exhibition or something, so they could be in different weight classes at full strength.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kave posted:

I don't recall anywhere that it said that Miyata for sure was going up a weight class. As many people have said, it has been alluded too that he should because of how hard his weight control is.

So we're asking for some proof. I honestly do not recall any point where it said for sure Miyata would go up to the next weight class.

As for the latest chapter:
Does anyone find it odd that Miyata was still throwing punches despite his ribs exploding in the fight?

Miyata should have been rushed to the hospital and have to stay away from boxing for like a year because it is garbage that he is throwing loving punches with shattered ribs after the fight like it's nothing. I get it, guts and burning passion, but holy poo poo this motherfucker need to get grounded SOMEHOW.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

This chapter was garbage. What the gently caress

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

So, Takamura was introduced waaaaaay back in the day as an incredibly skilled boxer, defeating punks without laying a finger on them, favoring incredible footwork, that kinda thing. When he was asked what it was like being strong, he demonstrated not overwhelming power, but speed and precision.

I know he's stopped being a mentor character, but goddamn, when the hell did he become a sub-literate meathead who is only good at hitting hard? For his last several fights, the only thing positive you can say about him is his overwhelming power. Earlier in the series they sneered at Aoki and Kimura for getting dragged into inelegant exchanges of punches, and now it's all that Japan's greatest champion ever does.

Unfortunately like all characters he is abused to make a lovely point. If you're looking for consistency in characters unfortunately this is not the right series. Hopefully he'll get his moment to shine come the next title bout. Most champion defenses are garbage, so hopefully this will end soon and we'll get on with something interesting. We both know he's not gonna lose this, not after glossing over 9 rounds to set up another quick come back.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Cowboy posted:

I think the main thing is we just haven't gotten to watch Ippo fight, in what, 200 chapters? I can't even remember who he last fought? Was it that magician guy, that retarded fight?

The only way this last Miyata fight would've been cool is he had lost, and that would've only set up Ippo to loving obliterate Randy.

It was the magic human being guy, which might as well be king of the lovely fights at this point.

And yeah, that's what I was hoping for as well. Now it's just like "welp"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

LightWarden posted:

Dude makes Keichi and Belldandy look like horndogs.

no kidding, by the time he'll have a chance to get with that he'll be impotent and his ippo size will go to waste.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I've said it before but I'm under the impression that the last fight for miyata was gonna be the last time as a feather weight, since h had basically given up on his rivalry with ippo ever actually coming to fruition. I'd be less surprised it ippo went up a weight class to fight miyata. At this point miyata would (should anyway) get crushed by ippo, if miyata did another crash diet.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nubian Robodin posted:

I know it doesn't but it seems like they're going to compare the Indy champ to Itagaki. It would be cool for Ippo to destroy the guy and show that there is still a huge difference in skill.

That would be awesome and ideal and there is no loving way that will happen. ippo'll drag rear end the whole time like usual until the end and then it'll be a comeback ko or something fruity.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

When the gently caress is this comic gonna do something right again :|

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Holy poo poo, has something exciting loving happened?!?!

Is Zale the American GI Coach fought in the war? That would be so loving cool if that were the case. Also, for all the impending faggotry of the match if this is true it'll be the first time I've really be excited to see what comes next in ippo in a long time.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Guyver posted:

No he was the American fighter's second

Okay, that is suitably cool.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Zale's identity hasn't been a secret. A little hard to catch, but it was revealed during the Kamogowa flashback hundreds of chapters ago.

well the eyebrows would do it. I just never made the connection til now I suppose.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Dear ippo:

Please make this fight super cool and not the poor lovely messes that the last couple big fights have been. Please do something so awesome that I can tell my friends "yeah, it gets a little cheap for a while but then it picks right back up!"

Please please make ippo a manga that I can once again tell people is super loving awesome, instead of 'yeah it kind of slows down after a while. I read it out of some misplaced optimism now'

Sincerely,
me

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

I think it's rather insulting that the author is trying to seriously insinuate that this fight is as big as Ippo's title bout with Sendo.

Yeah. And he's going in AS THE CHALLENGER THIS TIME again.

That doesn't mean any-loving-thing anymore.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He didn't turn into one, he was always a bitch.

:downsbravo:

Anyone got news on another season of the anime? We got some hot poo poo coming up that'd be more enjoyable to watch than whatever the gently caress is gonna end up going down further down the line in this fight.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Geop posted:

Well, it is supposedly a strong rumor that a sequel series is coming. The dude who plays Takamura's voice mentioned it on his blog, according to this link (and a few other joints I happened upon in Google). Seems that the success of this follow-up series is really kicking it off. I'm glad the animation is better, at the least. The first series (~75ish episodes, was it?) looked rather out-dated in its animation :smith:

Anyone who can read Japanese could probably confirm it here. As for when? Lord knows. Probably a year out.

the older episodes by and large had much better animation, though the new stuff looks crisper. Ippo in particular looks a bit wonky in the new series, i thought. Either way I liked the second series more than some, and I'm looking forward to seeing gendo's flashback animated :3:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Soth posted:

http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/870/

HE JUST HIT HIM WITH A GODDAMN SMASH!

I HATE

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

BOrangeFury posted:

I don't think that was a move specifically taught to Woli. Something about it smacks of instinct. In fact, reliance on it may be his undoing. It was a blind shot and it's gonna hurt, but Ippo's not going to take one of those again. Woli may like his new 'toy' and try it again, even though he seems to lack the raw power of Sendo's work.

That, and Ippo's head is made of rock and lined on the inside with marzipan. How much time is left in the round?

I hate coming up with these "it would be okay IF" scenarios, but the only way I'll really love this fight at this point is if woli throws every one of the past punches ippo has faced, and each time it hits ippo ippo goes "Too late, already felt that one before" and punches him so loving hard his jaw flies off and into the crowd and a guy in the crowd gets his eye poked and then ippo goes to prison for ruining a guys eye and comes out a year later with an even greater love for boxing and ASHITA NO JOE.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 13, 2009

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

We have, author hasn't.

:smith:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Serious Frolicking posted:

When Jimmy fought Miyata he was just a very skilled boxer. But by the time he fought Ippo he was suffering from brain damage and dementia, making him yet another gimmick fighter. I guess it isn't so much that Ippo fights foreign gimmick boxers now as that all of his fights for quite some time have been bullshit to some degree. In comparison, Miyata has become a bullshit gimmick fighter so naturally he fights relatively normal opponents.

I want Ippo to fight people who are just plain good at boxing again.

Lets not gently caress around. Every boxer ippo has fought has a gimmick, it's just at this point we want him to be used to it. Soem of the rematches have lessened the initial gimicks, but among other things, one guys gimick was being black, vorgs was the wolf's fang, sendo's smash, there was the under the sea guy who was shorter than ippo, sawamura's goddamn meat thing, mishiba's flicker/ cheating.

The issue is that some of these seem legitimate if slightly annoying, but stuff recently hasn't felt like boxing. We know the japs blow loads over special moves, but these moves aren't really special anymore, they're just... cheesy. And after following ippo for nearly 20 years you gotta figure this loving rear end in a top hat can take a guy down really good and actually move forward without it being a goddamn hassle for once. Even if it doesn't make for along 'exciting' fight it would be such a loving breath of fresh air.

Not to mention how side characters and titans like takamura are getting abused these days.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

This latest gimmick is really, really awful. Every bit as bad as the Gedo gimmick.

As unhappy as I am with the build up and execution so far to this fight, you are loving WRONG. No one is bad as a Gedo. No one. Ever. It's literally impossible. A fight worse than that wouldn't get published.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Geop posted:

I dunno. That dude early on who Ippo fought before Hayami was pretty painful. When I read the manga, I always skip that fight.

Always.

Well it's not a great fight, but at least ippo is still new, and this guy has got by by sticking to point battles. We're way past where that sort of bull is acceptable, plot wise.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

LightWarden posted:

Chapter is up

Godamnit :what:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Well, as terrible as this fight is it still beats Ippo's retarded relationship problems. Kumi is such an obvious beard it would be funny if it weren't so sad.

Yeah but to be fair the relationship subplot isn't the focus of the goddamn manga.

Gendo was still worse, Cuz his was the shittiest gimmik. We're just sicker of it at this point.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Geop posted:

Man. Re-reading the Kamogawa flashback fight was amazing :pcgaming: What happened, Mori :(

At least we'll get to see it animated soon... hopefully.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I figure it has been going so long and successfully that they just let him do what he wants.

I think it's more that they've been making him keep at it so long he literally doesn't give a gently caress.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

trucutru posted:

Dhalsim-with-gloves?

If that means extendo gloves they already did it. It was awful. I hope you've blocked it out of your memory cuz that's more than I can say about myself :(

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Maybe if Ippo lost he would also lose his current complacent attitude. His only strategy for quite some time has been to train and fight like he always does. That's really drat boring.

To be fair he really doesn't train, and he definitely doesn't fight(well).

If he approached someone on the world stage who was an actual loving character and had some actual loving talent (for boxing, not being a cheating jumping human being) maybe we could see ippo train and try some new training techniques. The last few have been "I have no clue who this guy is! But he'll be tough! Better train like I always do with no variation!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sindai posted:

Oh, well at least people were wrong about those spoilers. It's Ippo who gets told to trade shots, which actually makes sense.

Infinitum posted:

No it's 879 where Woli is told to trade shots.

Really, you should know better than to have misplaced optimism at this point.