Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Toshimo posted:

They did that already.

Yeah. Probably the best thing they've done since eagle, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Shindragon posted:

Anyone who hates Takamaura should get Demspey Roll'd. :colbert:

I always like that about him, he is a cocky brash smug rear end in a top hat but goddamn could he back it up. Plus his fights were always goddamn awesome.

I still enjoy watching his animated fights versus Hawk. It was soooo good.

His defense bouts have been pretty weak, and I kind of hated the animated Hawk fight. It was so... lame compared to the manga. But the second series was weird and not quite on point the whole time.

But really Takamura is long overdue for another belt run.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's absolutely racist.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 11, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Japan or no, there's no way Ippo doesn't give his mama every cent.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah iirc his family is rather successful. Ain't seen them since his first championship bout I think.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 12, 2015

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It gets better, but not much while ippo is the center of attention.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

What in gods name made you START with the woli arc??

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

But the guy Takamura is fighting right now is currently in his same weight class, so why would he have an advantage? Like, yeah, when he was in a heavier weight class I'm sure he would have been stronger, but currently both him and Takamura have a low body fat % and should be around the same weight and thus have similar musculature (if anything, it seems Takamura would be a little buffer if he's also shorter than the American).

Stress on the body is part of it, crash dieting is not very good for you. If his opponent is at his natural weight he wouldn't feel underweight and exhausted, for one.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nilbop posted:

Absolutely anything the author wants him to do.

Welcome to... Fiction???

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Specifically, the second season of the show is kinda crappy. The Hawk fight isn't done very well IMO. The third anime is much much better and better done but it does have the problem of not having the great first part fights to run on.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jesus how does kimura only have 23 fights while itagaki has 12 already??

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

so much for having a monster dick he's all balls now

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ippo cant remember how to BOX. Remembering a thing he did once is clearly more than his applesauced brain can handle.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Is there actual word the series is ending or is everyone just jumping to that conclusion because Ippo lost?

I ask because it certainly doesn't seem like the kinda thing this author would do unless there was some outside prompting like health, falling numbers, a traumatic life event, etc.

It would be kinda cool if the weekly format was just too much at this point and it shifted to a monthly more serious end game focused story with this as the pivot point, but I'm sure that kind of format change would have been announced.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It was all foreshadowing Ippos pothole filled grey matter

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jose posted:

i'm so glad i stopped reading mid woli fight and just checked on this thread now and then

Hello, brother.

It's legit impressive how this thing has been trash for literally a decade now, if not longer.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gedo happens right before and it's a real loving garbage fight. At the time I was like "gently caress if this is how it keeps going I'm gonna have to check out."

Then Woli happened and I did.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah, to its credit Bleach had some mondo jugs. Ippo has a mondo rod but you can't really show that.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Fabricated posted:

I think Morikawa realized he was writing literally Ashita No Joe and decided to turn left.

More likely his editor noticed.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Show is good. Enjoy the show. If you get hung up on season 2 push through, season 3 is really great.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

tbp posted:

doesn't season 2 end with the best fight in all of HnI? i can't see anyone not wanting more if they make it that far

In the manga certainly, but s2 as a whole and the hawk fight in particular were really disappointingly adapted, in my opinion. It’s drawn out in a weird way, looks goofy instead of intense, and the first season sound is missing so we get a way lamer soundtrack. s3, whatever flaws it may have, has the s1 ost style back, and the eagle fight (which I was luke warm on when I first read it in the manga after hawk) almost makes up for how poorly they did the hawk in s2

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I sure hope not

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Woli

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Wark Say posted:

He can be like Aoki when trying to fight hella dirty. I know Takamura fights are often this epitome of :black101:-incarnate, but maybe a combination of :black101: with goofy-rear end shenanigans match might be in order?

I mean weren’t all his defenses goofy blow off fights?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Still salty they animated it more like a dbz fight than a gritty rear end death match.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I’m dyin here 😭

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

*shakes violently at the kitchen table eyes locked on a flaring lightbulb*

Wally wins. A major banana company sponsors him. He becomes the final boss. Ippo returns to the ring for the worst fight in the entire manga

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

poo poo, like 12 years ago or so?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Wally brings the traditional Indonesian weapon of the Karambit into the match and disembowels Ricardo. This is deemed to be within the rules, as the Karambit were carved from Wally's ribs (and are thus part of his body).

He can suck his own dick now too which is very impressive.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

maybe in terms of early style but I don't feel like anything except the calibre of his punch is the same as tyson at this point, nor for a very long time.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I recently read Tokyo underground, which features a lot about the 60s and 70s of Japan. Hawk reads as identical in his vileness as the Evil foreigner wrestlers they would bring in for the pure hearted Japanese wrestler to defeat.

This set up sold 20 million tvs in the 60s!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Eight-Six posted:

if you stuck around after ippo/woli and somehow this is the straw then I don't know what to tell you other than lol, lmao

I did not stick around. In fact, I’ve been following this thread closer than the manga for nearly 15 years since the first woli fight. And In following recently it’s been “hey, this is actually getting kinda good again.”

And now we are here so hey, I stand by my choice.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Probably, but more specifically hawk was pretty much every American wrestler in the 60s in Japan.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Shindragon posted:

New Chap

Are.. are we gonna witness Ashita no Joe for Wally ? That screams DEATH FLAGS.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

if hedies, he dies

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I got bad news for you about the lifespan of weekly mangaka.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Mimi is just skylering it’s fine

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

He got pantsed on the first group date with the nurses out of hospital. It’s been a minute but I think kumi was there.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah he was constrained by the boxers available in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Have you seen Itagaki and his dad? Mom got her cheeks clapped by a host club host.