Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«597 »
DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

You’re new to the firearm world and want to get some practice in, and maybe are intimidated by something with a really big bang. What do you do? Shoot the low-recoil and economical poo poo!

You want to do some varminting or target shooting to get your distance skills up to snuff. What do you do? Get a scope and shoot some poo poo!

Your handgun of choice is becoming an expensive mouth to feed, but you love shooting it. What do you do? Get a conversion kit and shoot cheap poo poo!

So what is the poo poo? .22LR is the poo poo. It’s cheap as hell, it’s fun to shoot, it’s great for new/nervous shooters, it’s a riot to shoot with a suppressor (but then, what isn’t?), and it helps you develop great habits because you can shoot it so goddamn much.

WHAT FOLLOWS IS A WOEFULLY INCOMPLETE GUIDE THAT IS ONLY INTENDED TO HELP PEOPLE GET STARTED. Please feel free to add your suggestions as you see fit.

PISTOLS

Maybe the best all-around way to get into shooting, .22LR pistols are usually found in the sub-$400 range, relatively well-built, and are in thousands of configurations, so it’s drat near impossible to find a gun that doesn’t fit you. Examples include:

Ruger Single Six – Ruger has a penchant for loving a lot of things up, but this isn’t one of them. As a single-action revolver, it’s one of the most economical ways to shoot, and the old school western feel is always cool. Most come with a conversion cylinder (Edit: NOT barrel )that also let you shoot the larger .22 Magnum round. Extremely easy to break down and clean.

Ruger Mk I-III – Probably the only Ruger semi-auto pistols with any modicum of popularity, these are great shooters and very accurate. They’re famed for being a pain to disassemble, but are worth it.
EDIT: Away Message found this video on how to disassemble the drat things. Enjoy!

Walther P22 – They’re firmly locked in the “Love it/Hate it” category by most shooters, but most later models seem to work fine. Very comfortable to hold, but a mediocre-at-best DA trigger. Easy take-down.

Walther SP22 - Very nifty looking and extremely comfortable, but built by Umarex, so durability is a concern.

Browning Buckmark – One of the best 22s money can buy. Some feature a rail across the top for mounting of optics. Devilsbite’s is awesome and has a sick trigger job. Easy take-down and cleaning.

Beretta Neos – It bears stunning resemblance to the NES Zapper, but it is very comfortable, and also features a rail across the top. PEW PEW PEW. Also easy take-down and cleaning.

High-Standard - loving fantastic old school .22s. They're a little tough to find sometimes but absolutely worth it.

Smith & Wesson - Their revolvers are great, but the .22 ones seem absurdly expensive. Their semi autos are ugly as sin but people here seem to like them, so maybe S&W managed to make a semi-auto pistol that doesn't suck. Good for them!

TEC-22 - Jams like a motherfucker, but a lot of fun to shoot if you can get it to cycle. Ask Micromancer about his.

RIFLES

Ruger 10/22 – We already have a great megathread about them. They’re the Honda Civic of rifles. Extremely customizable and reliable. Parts are loving everywhere.

Savage – Any of their bolt-action rifles with the Accu-Trigger are great shooters, and most (if not all) come with scope mounts ready to go.

CZ – The 452 and 453 are fantastic guns, and the new single-stage triggers have all been getting good reviews. CZ stocks are of a higher quality than the typical laminate wood provided by Savage.

Remington 597 – Many larger retailers have a combo deal with this gun, a basic scope, and a high-cap mag (if you’re lucky) for around $200. The trigger is heavy (around 5 pounds), but very crisp. A VQ target hammer is available for about $35 that knocks the weight in half. Not the best quality but the stock is pretty comfortable and if you’re just plinking, it’s a decent generic scope.

Sako Quad – God drat. Sako created this 4-barrelled monster able to chamber all 4 of the major rimfire rounds (.17HMR, .17HM2, .22LR, .22WMR), with a scope that can be set to zero for all 4 rounds. Honestly I’d love to get my hands on one of these because it looks like a boatload of fun, although I believe they are pretty expensive.

GSG-5 – A German sporting company put together this neat looking model of the famed H&K MP5. It has a number of swappable parts and stocks, but is a tad flimsy, and apparently does not allow you to perform the “HK Slap” too often before breaking.

Sig Sauer 522LR – Based off the design of the 556 rifle. Shoots great and finally comes with iron sights, where early models didn't.

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 – Based off the popular M&P-15 AR platform rifle. Another great dedicated .22LR AR-15.

Colt AR-22 or whatever - It is goddamned awful and made by Daisy (yeah, the airgun guys) or some poo poo. Avoid.

Walther G22 - I'm probably their only fan here, but god drat is it fun. One of the few (maybe only) .22LR bullpups. I loving love mine and anyone who has shot it has enjoyed it. Maybe you don't like it. That's fine, more for me.

Marlin - The Model 60 is pretty popular, and they make other very solid rifles. Their lever-actions are pretty popular too.

Beretta Neos Carbine - PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW If there's a more spacegun looking thing than this, I don't know what it is.

Henry Repeating Arms - They're new to the scene, and build a number of different lever-action rifles. For a while they were actually based in Brooklyn . Quality is not exactly top-notch, but they're fine rifles, and mine had a very nice throw. You can find the basic .22 lever action for around $225 NIB. Henry also makes the AR-7 Survivor Rifle, an oddball takedown semi-auto that fits into its own stock. Famous for a hilarious assassination attempt in "Goldfinger".

Mossberg - Their old rifles from the 40s and 50s are really neat, and you can find them under $150 in most cases. Nowadays the 702 and 802 Plinkster (semi-auto and bolt-action, respectively) are not exactly high-end by any means, but are fun little rifles, and would be fine for kids.

Krinker Plinker - A 10/22 kit, with thanks to EndofGoogle. Different from the...

AK-22 - Built off the WASR-10 and can accept any regular AK furniture. Chill_bebop has some info below.

Browning - The Buckmark Rifle is one of the stranger looking rifles out there. It's literally the exact same Buckmark pistol with a long barrel and a stock. Their lever-action rifles have an astoundingly short throw of something like only 22 degrees. Some can operate it simply by opening and closing their hand.

Pump Action Rifles (Various brands) - If you haven't shot one, you really should. Winchesters are tough to find but are awesome. Taurus/Rossi (who owns who there?) makes them now and they don't seem too bad.

Combo rifles (Various brands) - These are the oddball over/under guns you sadly don't see very often. They are a single shot rifle over a single shot shotgun barrel. Savage makes a few and Devilsbite says Remington does as well. Common combinations include .22LR over 20ga and .410ga. From what I hear they make fantastic rabbit guns.

CONVERSION KITS

So you love your handgun of choice, but ammo’s way up these days! Oh no!

CZ Kadet Kit – Fitting any 75 or 85 model, the Kadet Kit is a very popular addition to CZ’s line. They’ve been around a while now so you can find them everywhere.

Sig Sauer .22 Conversion Kit – These are fairly new to the scene, and are available for the 220, 226, and 229. Few people seem to own them yet, but most of the reviews are pretty positive. Personally I’d really like to get one for my 226.

Kimber 1911 Conversion Kit – They’re all over the place, and that’s pretty much all I know about them. I’m sure someone else here can attest to them.

GLOCK Conversion Kit – All I know is they’re supposedly out there somewhere. Sorry VV
EDIT: Much love to STAT1C_X for this.

AR-15 Conversion Kits – My knowledge is in the same category as the Glock’s kits. Sorry again.
EDIT: Beeb is loving awesome and linked me to this.

EDIT: Here are a shitload more 1911 kits. I'm too lazy to link them all individually. Thanks Ygolonac!

AMMUNITION

Everyone and their mother makes .22LR ammo these days, which is good because many semi-auto .22s these days are notoriously picky. Here are a few highlights.

Federal Ammunition – Their 525 and 550 round bulk packs are pretty popular with casual shooters. Everything I’ve ever owned has cycled it fine. You can find the 550 round packs at Wal-Mart for like $13.50, which is a pretty great deal.

Remington – They make a shitload of different velocities and bullet types. Everything from the “Golden Bullet” pack of 525 rounds, to hypervelocity Yellow Jackets. Usually pretty crappy quality.

Winchester - They sell some goofy 333-round packs and some "Wildcat" (just a brand name, not a wildcatter round) ammo that runs fairly well.

CCI – The Mini Mag ammunition is some of the best all-around .22LR out there. If your gun can’t cycle them then something may be wrong. They also make the Hypervelocity “Stinger” ammunition.

Aguila – Another great .22LR maker. They make a very good line of subsonic ammunition that is pretty popular among shooters with suppressors.

CLEANING STUFF

The .22LR is a notoriously dirty round. Better have some poo poo to clean things up!

Bore Snake – Probably the best goddamned thing to hit the cleaning side of guns since CLP. Spray it down a bit and yank it through your barrel 2-3 times. Motherfucker’s gonna be clean as hell.

Break Free CLP – Available at any auto store pretty cheap, CLP is simply a non-chlorinated brake cleaner that does a fantastic job of cleaning and lubing drat near every gun part known to man.
EDIT: Sorry, I'm getting my solvents mixed up. It's still loving great.

Cotton Patches – Get them anywhere, or just cut up some old Hanes t-shirts. You can never have enough of them on hand.

Purple Power - If things have really gone to poo poo, this is what you reach for. Available by the gallon and stronger than hell.

So what are you doing sitting there on your rear end? Get out there and do some cheap shooting and have a lot more fun popping off a thousand rounds for the cost of someone else magdumping his 1911 a couple times! Anyone who tells you that they don’t have fun rapid-firing a bunch of 22 is a goddamned liar. Go have some fun, and you don’t even have to spend a ton of money to do it!

EDIT: ADDING FANCY-PANTS SECTION FROM BRAINGLITCH

BrainGlitch posted:

Here's some Anschutz stuff if you wana throw it in the OP or something.

That sounds goofy. What the gently caress is it?
Anschutz manufacture expensive and quality rimfire, pellet, and the occasional centerfire rifles for target competition. Pretty much the Aston Martin of rimfires. Sometimes you will see models marked Savage-Anschutz or Anschutz-Savage, these are rifles imported for some reason by Savage.

Sounds expensive. Is it $surprise sex?
Lucky for you, they've been around for a while. You can find used ones at very reasonable prices if you look.

Why the gently caress should I buy one?
Because you like accurate rimfire rifles. You like stocks that can be used offhand or have accessories thrown on their weird rail for benchrest purposes. You know why you want one? Free floated barrels, adjustable triggers, poo poo is tits.

Your post is pretty useless and I could've found more by googling for five minutes.
Well, gently caress you buddy! Prepare for links. You want links? We got links, man. We got so many links.

Informative Links:
Official Anschutz Moon People Website
Rimfire Shooting Anschutz Subforum
Rimfirecentral Anschutz Subforum

Retailers/Parts:
J&P Custom Products: These guys are the best. They will bend over backward to get you what you need. If you don't see it, call and they'll make it.

Champion Shooters: Good accessories and parts.

Here is a picture of some dude's Anschutz 64.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

PRICING INFORMATION

It's kind of hard to tell you what to exactly look for here since prices tend to fluctuate. Here are some general things to keep in mind in terms of your budget.

If you have a budget of even $150, you can still get yourself a solid .22. Used 10/22s, used Ruger Mk1s, and those S&W .22 autoloaders (the 22-A?) can be found in that range. You can find the very underrated Marlin Model 60 easily under $150 as well.

$200-300 opens up a lot of options for you. Here you'll find things like the Remington 597 usually comboed with a generic scope, just about every 10/22 out there, the Ruger Single Six, Beretta Neos, Henry 001 lever-action, and most Savage bolt-actions are in this range.

$300-500 puts you into the fancy-pants range of things. Now you're open to look at the CZ rifles and high-end Savage rifles with perhaps some money left to put glass on. Here, you'll also find the AR-based rifles like the Sig 522 and Smith & Wesson M&P 22 or whatever it's called.

If you're looking for those fancy-rear end bullseye pistols by like Walther and some other people, I think that puts you well over $800 and into the thousands. Good luck.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

You forgot the Marlin 60 rifle. Nice OP regardless.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

taqueso posted:

You forgot the Marlin 60 rifle. Nice OP regardless.

Yeah, I knew I was going to miss quite a few things. I'll add.

Pristine Shits
Dec 11, 2004

fuckin love .22, currently have a mark 3 with tacsol upper, .22AR, cz 452, and beretta 21a. Next will be a cimarron plinkerton if I can get some reliable information about it:

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Sp.../Plinkerton.htm

or an AR-7

^^ the little beretta works very well with aguila super sniper subsonic

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

AR .22 kit:

http://www.22lrconversions.com/atch-pg.htm

Apparently they make Glock ones, too. I believe The Rat has the AR model and he sounds pretty happy with it.

Pristine Shits
Dec 11, 2004

Ciener is a big rear end in a top hat though. A CMMG kit and some BDM mags from brownells with gunsmith discount are about $200 flat

STAT1C_X
May 9, 2004

by angerbot

These are the Glock kits to get:

http://www.advantagearms.com/conversion_kit.html

Originally referred to 'em here and have found nothing but praise for them around the web. Cannot say the same of Ciener's.

Linux Republican
Dec 30, 2008

Still plenty of these floating around used in that sub-$400 price range.

Click here for the full 800x563 image.

No screwy take-down required, just unscrew the barrel and you're done.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Linux Republican posted:

Still plenty of these floating around used in that sub-$400 price range.

Click here for the full 800x563 image.

Jesus christ I can't believe I forgot them.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

My mossberg sense is tingling!

Old School Mossberg Rimfires, such a 44s, 46s, 151s, you name it, can be wonderful guns to own and shoot. They can be common enough and have a big fanbase behind them, and I really think they were some of the best, most unique Rimfires ever made. If anything, they almost all have wonderfully short, crisp "Push of a button" triggers that I absolutely adore. Mossberg 44s especially stand out as the premier of their line, but even the more obscure ones were still outstanding.

Do yourself a favor: if you see a vintage Mossberg on the used rack gathering dust, you could give over your $90 and walk away with a gun you might really enjoy and come to appreciate.

I would also add S&W .22 Auto Pistols and High Standards to your Pistols list.

I might do a write up later on concerning AK22s.

Away Message
Apr 8, 2003

Great idea for a thread.

I'd suggest adding http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoaVe2z6cRo as a guide to Ruger auto reassembly. Video shows a 22/45 but the process is good for the Mk.I/II/III, just a matter of tilting gun one way then the other so the thingy hanging off the hammer fits in with the whatsit in the mainspring housing.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Savage MKII-G with a Nikon Prostaff 4x30.

I've since dropped a 9-13" bipod on it. Love it. Eventually going to upgrade it to a -BV (nicer stock, bull barrel, drilled + tapped).

Also, when it comes to ammo, stay the gently caress away from Remington Thunderbolt. Worst loving ammo I have ever had the misfortune of using.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

DJExile posted:

Break Free CLP – Available at any auto store pretty cheap, CLP is simply a non-chlorinated brake cleaner that does a fantastic job of cleaning and lubing drat near every gun part known to man.

Is this accurate? I thought CPL and non-chlorinated brake cleaner were distinct from each other. CPL has lube in it, right? I don't think you want to spray anything that lubricates onto your brakes.

e: not saying CPL isn't great. I'm saying its not the same thing as break cleaner which won't lubricate anything.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

When I was looking at High Standards a little bit ago I was given this link.
http://www.histandard.info/models/

It's pretty awesome and I can sum it up by saying, buy any High Standard with a serial number less than 2.5mil. After that they began to cut costs and were later purchased by another company.

Edit: And while I'm thinking about it. The lever series had a small lever under the barrel that you could push to un-connect the dovetail that holds the barrel in place. The push button series which came afterward and is the same idea but with a button instead of a lever. Finally the ones with the screw were the newest. It takes roughly 5 seconds to switch barrels and roughly 10 seconds to field strip my High Standard which is a lever take down model. Additionally they came with a small dovetail groove along the bottom of the barrels for placing adjustable weights.

The junk collector fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 26, 2009

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

sbyers77 posted:

Is this accurate? I thought CPL and non-chlorinated brake cleaner were distinct from each other. CPL has lube in it, right? I don't think you want to spray anything that lubricates onto your brakes.

e: not saying CPL isn't great. I'm saying its not the same thing as break cleaner which won't lubricate anything.

Yeah, CLP isn't no goddamned brake cleaner. You're not gonna find it at NAPA or Checkers.

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

Pristine Shits posted:

Ciener is a big rear end in a top hat though. A CMMG kit and some BDM mags from brownells with gunsmith discount are about $200 flat

What he said. I have the Ciener kit but have no hope if I ever need spare parts or it breaks. Get the CMMG or Spikes Tactical kit instead, and of course the BDM magazines.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Linux Republican posted:

Drop trigger guard, lift barrel off:

Wonder_Bread posted:

Also, when it comes to ammo, stay the gently caress away from Remington Thunderbolt. Worst loving ammo I have ever had the misfortune of using.
And this. I've still got 70 rounds sitting on a shelf because only five of the first thirty worked.

Linux Republican
Dec 30, 2008

Pitch posted:

Drop trigger guard, lift barrel off:

Strangely enough, also not in the OP. Overlooking a S&W just makes me sad.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Eh, I never seriously recommend the Model 41 anyway. Even well-used it costs more than Rugers akimbo.

Linux Republican
Dec 30, 2008

Pitch posted:

Eh, I never seriously recommend the Model 41 anyway. Even well-used it costs more than Rugers akimbo.

Yeah, pretty far out of the 'sub-$400' range in the OP. Just had to give some props to my pet brand.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

You include an unknown quanity like S&Ws .22lr ARs but you ignore the top two manufacturers of .22LR ARs?

https://www.spikestactical.com
https://www.tacticalsol.com

Capn Beeb posted:

AR .22 kit:

http://www.22lrconversions.com/atch-pg.htm

Apparently they make Glock ones, too. I believe The Rat has the AR model and he sounds pretty happy with it.

Also you don't want this one, get a Spikes or CMMG conversion kit. Almost the price and superior function.

The eletrolesl nickle finish on the spikes bolt is the best finish ever. I cleaned it with a rag after it's first 1000 rounds or so. Barely any poo poo sticks to it, just two dabs of CLP (or white lithium grease) on the rails is all it needs.

Also my spikes:

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 26, 2009

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon

Don't forget the Colt Woodsman (maybe lump it in with the description of the High Standard since they're such close cousins?) Still plenty of those floating around out there, and are equally fine pistols.

Also in rifles there's the Browning SA-22. Not the cheapest .22 out there but probably one of the nicest factory production general purpose semi-auto rifles you can find in the caliber

I eats my spinach fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 26, 2009

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Current 1911 conversions

Ceiner (http://www.22lrconversions.com/1911-pg.htm) - $199-249, widebody mags available, customer service = gently caress you sideways. Buy from Brownells for *their* warranty service, not Ceiner's. (Older Kimber and Wilson conversions were Ceiner; Iver Johnson's current ones appear to be, and may also be available as a dedicated .22 1911.)

Kimber (http://www.kimberamerica.com/shop/section.php?xSec=19) $330, see Ceiner regarding older conversions. Also make a dedicated .22 1911.

Advantage Arms (http://www.advantagearms.com/1911conversion_kit.html) - $275-349, widebody mags available (not listed on website, however), Target Model is decently accurate. Last-shot hold-open.

Tactical Solutions (http://www.tacticalsol.com/store/pc...p?idCategory=29)- $400+, widebody mags available. I've heard it's pretty accurate, but no real info. Last-shot hold-open.

Marvel (http://www.marvelprecision.com/) - $325-429, widebody mags available, accurate as hell (Unit 1).

STI (http://www.stiguns.com/) has one listed ($385), but it's apparently the AA kit, in single- and double-stack. Wilson Combat (http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_22_conversion.asp) has someone else's kit ($320), but I don't recall who actually makes it.

Older conversions

Colt - Made both kits and dedicated .22 1911s. The original Ace was a floating-chamber design, which tended to lead up and stop floating, but did feel a lot more like a .45. The Ace II was a later attempt, which didn't work nearly as well, and was discontinued fairly quickly. I *believe* they all had last-shot hold-open, but I'm not certain. You'll pay Colt prices - $$$.

Peters Stahl - European import, more target than plinker, and $$.

EAA - European import, and that's about all I know.

Jarvis - Design was sold to TacSol. Uses Colt Ace mags, last-shot hold-open.

Note: most of these do not hold open on an empty mag! Aluminum slides tend to get chewed pretty quickly by the slide stop - Colt used steel slides, and AA has a steel insert for the slide-stop.

Magazines - I believe max capacity (Ceiner) is 15, and that's a singlestack. Some mags will work with other conversions - Marvel uses Colt Ace mags, with the follower modified for no hold-open. Ceiner/Kimber/AA mags are plastic, while Colt/TacSol are metal.

Lots of info here: http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay...29d76dd2ff&f=47

A popular non-conversion that does allow *some* similarity to a 1911 is the Ruger 22/45, which gives you the same grip-frame and mag release. Trigger, et cetera, is still a Ruger .22, so your mileage may vary.

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 26, 2009

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

You magnificent bastard, what a great idea for a thread.

This may take a while.

Check out Ruger's Brearcat. Seriously. Yes, it's small, but the gun still works well in almost every adult hand. It's surprisingly accurate with its crude cowboy sights, great for shootin' critters for the dinner pot or plinking at cans. Super safe design and single action make the Bearcat the best teaching pistol there is. Won't intimidate new shooters and appeals to the senses because it looks like a little Colt SAA, the quintessential American pistol.

The Single Six has interchangeable cylinders, not barrels. And are awesome.
This is awesome and I want one:

If you like mouseguns, and boy howdy I do, you need to check out the Taurus PT22 and Beretta's Bobcat pistols. Neat guns of very similar design, the Italian is DA/SA while the Brazilian is a simpler DAO. I like the sights from the South Americans better too.

Browning Buckmarks kick rear end. Browning now manufactures two distinct grip frame sizes, the smaller being super comfy for those with smaller hands. Easily upgradeable as the barrel and S/N'd frame are separate. Contrary to logic my Buckmark LOVED Thunderbolt ammo, go figure. Great resources available here. My only bitch about this platform is that Browning has made incremental "improvements" over the years (mag disconnect, etc).

An older "Boy's Rifle" or "Favorite" single shot rifle is fun to shoot, easy to transport and makes a great hand-me-down. Lots of manufacturers made them over the years and Savage makes one now (that I hate). They look something like this:

It's been mentioned but Browning makes a beautiful 22 auto, it's a JMB design to boot.I recommend the Semi-Auto 22, Grade I unless you're a baller. The stainless steel/laminate versions are an abomination.

Browning makes sweet 22 lever guns too.

Also wanted to pimp S&W's 422 series pistols. I used to shot one and quite enjoyed it. They seem to be few and far between on the used market which leads me to believe that people like shooting them.

edit:
Combo guns like this Remington/Spartan SPR94 .22lr/410 would make a sweet woods gun.

I'm also hot for Savage's Mk I & II with peeps.

Also hugely gay for carbine length 62 reproductions. Rossi & Taurus made them, here's a Brazilian:

devilsbite fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 26, 2009

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Edited the OP to include a lot more poo poo, and fix my dumbass mistakes.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Anybody here have a Marlin 981T?

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

devilsbite posted:

An older "Boy's Rifle" or "Favorite" single shot rifle is fun to shoot, easy to transport and makes a great hand-me-down. Lots of manufacturers made them over the years and Savage makes one now (that I hate). They look something like this:

It's been mentioned but Browning makes a beautiful 22 auto, it's a JMB design to boot.I recommend the Semi-Auto 22, Grade I unless you're a baller. The stainless steel/laminate versions are an abomination.

Browning makes sweet 22 lever guns too.

Also wanted to pimp S&W's 422 series pistols. I used to shot one and quite enjoyed it. They seem to be few and far between on the used market which leads me to believe that people like shooting them.

edit:
Combo guns like this Remington/Spartan SPR94 .22lr/410 would make a sweet woods gun.

I'm also hot for Savage's Mk I & II with peeps.

Also hugely gay for carbine length 62 reproductions. Rossi & Taurus made them, here's a Brazilian:

Every gun you mentioned kicks rear end.

If anyone ever finds a Browning Auto .22 for cheap, BUY BUY BUY. They are great.

Also, Taurus Pump .22s are out of production right now, but can still be found used everywhere. I swear, they are some of the most fun guns ever made.

As for the Stevens- I actually own one!

(and its actually the reason Im almost deaf in my right ear- The block didnt close and the round still went off, leaving Chill_Bebop the young kid dazed and unable to hear for a few days)

Heres a Gun I here almost nobody ever talking about, yet it seems to be a really neat buy.

AK22s are built off Centerfire WASR Frames, can accept AK Furniture, and supposedly run like a top, especially with a regular dust cover put on it. I really want to get one to try it out, gently caress GSG5s, this is something I want.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Chill_Bebop posted:

Heres a Gun I here almost nobody ever talking about, yet it seems to be a really neat buy.

AK22s are built off Centerfire WASR Frames, can accept AK Furniture, and supposedly run like a top, especially with a regular dust cover put on it. I really want to get one to try it out, gently caress GSG5s, this is something I want.

These are seriously cool as hell. Now are AK-22s and "Krinker Plinker" the same thing? Or did someone else make the KP?

EDIT: vvv God drat, I knew that. I'm off my game today.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 26, 2009

EndofGoogle
Nov 22, 2004
page 20 of 100

The Krinker-Plinker is a 1022 stock kit.

Sturdy
Apr 24, 2008

I just started buying the CMP's 22 ammo a couple of weeks ago, for my mossberg 321 dohicky.

I like the stuff, seems fairly accurate. It also smells weird.

Anyone else tried the stuff out?

e: Since I don't know of a lot of people on here that have the S&W 22, here's some pics of my roommates. This pistol isn't as popular as others but we really like it. There was a bit of a "break-in" period, 4 or 500 rounds of CCI took care of that, now it'll shoot anything and we haven't had a malfunction since. It can also go awhile without cleaning. Sorry for the crappy pics, but it's the best camera we have

Sturdy fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 26, 2009

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

My experience with subsonic ammo is this.

Remmington: Inconsistent. Some will go super sonic.

CCI: loving awesome accurate ammo that works in nearly anything. Cycles my AR conversion. This is my universal "for everything" ammo I use with my suppressors.

Aquilla 40 grain: Very weak. Won't cycle my Ruger.

Aquilla 60 grain: Very accurate and rocks out of my Savage. Cycles my AR but has huge amounts of gas blown into your face.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

Chill_Bebop posted:

What's that scope on your 44US? I've got the mount, but no glass yet. My eyes are not the best anymore, and the aperture sights are not cutting it.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Chill_Bebop posted:

Every gun you mentioned kicks rear end.

Thanks! Nice Stevens. I've got a Remington Model 6 Improved and I love shooting it.

My problem with the new one is the finish on the receiver and barrel. It's like the metal was never finished/polished and the blue feels more like tar paint. It's hard to describe, but just the nastiest blue finish I've ever run into. The wood is ok but again could benefit from better finishing. I'd actually like to see what Taurus could do with the pattern as the 62's they put out were of acceptable qualtiy.

---

I've seen several Norinco copies of the Browning BA22 for $250-$300 recently. They were all used and maybe 80% condition. I've seen Brownings in the same condition for the same amount of money though. Passed up on a Belgian for $275 that had a loose fore end (otherwise 90%+). I even took the time to explain how I'd fix it to the old man...we still passed it up and regret it every time we go back to the show.

I know I linked to a specific thread earlier but anybody interested in buying, maintaining or upgrading virtually any .22lr should check out Rimfire Central. https://www.rimfirecentral.com They cover far more than just 10/22s in their sub forums and have generally great info. If you haven't visited yet, take a few minutes to poke around.

After spending many hours reading various hunting sites around the net I've come to the conclusion that the Baikal/Spartan combo guns are better than Savage's Model 24. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the 24, I've just read to many head-to-head reviews that praised the Russian gun. Plus the Savage's are a bit of a collectors item right now and command a premium on the secondhand market.

I highly recommend shopping at pawn shops/gun shows for a $50 .22lr rifle. Bolt or semi-auto makes no difference. Bring a flashlight with you, lock the bolt open and point the light down the barrel from there. Check out the crown & look for pitting in the barrel. If there is none (bore pitting), return the gun to battery and engage the safety. Point the muzzle in a known safe direction and pull the trigger. Take the safety off and repeat. If there's no bore pitting, the safety works and the action fires; buy it. Post pictures.

Hey, Not Nipsy Russell how'd that Model 60 work out for you? Is it still giving you greif?

More sweet .22lr Guns:

Assuming you can find an old one with out their crazy lock/safety.

It might not be as good as a 41 but this pistol looks all business.

Pew Pew Pew.

edited for homegrown

2006 rack...

Lettering experiment.

Guts.

devilsbite fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 26, 2009

Sturdy
Apr 24, 2008

devilsbite posted:

I highly recommend shopping at pawn shops/gun shows for a $50 .22lr rifle. Bolt or semi-auto makes no difference. Bring a flashlight with you, lock the bolt open and point the light down the barrel from there. Check out the crown & look for pitting in the barrel. If there is none (bore pitting), return the gun to battery and engage the safety. Point the muzzle in a known safe direction and pull the trigger. Take the safety off and repeat. If there's no bore pitting, the safety works and the action fires; buy it. Post pictures.

More sweet .22lr Guns:

Assuming you can find an old one with out their crazy lock/safety.

I got a Revelation model 100B at a pawn shop for 60 bucks last fall. the exterior of the barrel is rusted and pitted a fair bit, but the bore was perfect. It's the most accurate shooter I have now.

What do you think of Heritage's 22 revolvers? I kinda want one.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Sturdy posted:

What do you think of Heritage's 22 revolvers? I kinda want one.

They have developed a pretty good reputation for quality, which is good. The fit & finish has always been a step behind but with them expanding into center fire guns I'm seeing better fit/finish and detail (mostly on the center fire guns). They replaced their old, ugly, skeleton hammer with a nicer one, another plus. My biggest problem is the new safety devices finding their way onto revolvers. A transfer bar safety is the only thing necessary on a SA revolver; I wouldn't turn my nose up at a half cock notch though.

If you don't mind the aesthetics and get a good price, go for it. With the availability of other options on the used market I can't ever see myself buying one*.

*if I find a 3" birds head model all bets are off!

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

What's that scope on your 44US? I've got the mount, but no glass yet. My eyes are not the best anymore, and the aperture sights are not cutting it.

Thats just a 30mm Red Dot :P lol, I think I just put it on as a kick awhile back and just started to like using it. I actually have another scope for it-

An old Weaver V-22a Scope. But I took it off, it was fairly worthless. Plus I left it out on my car hood for a night and it got all rusty. God knows where it is now. I want to throw a Mueller APV up there eventually.

That Havlin mount is great, but one of the heads of the receiver screws for my Mossberg stripped, so I actually only have one screw in.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

GO BUY A LOT OF BULLETS HERE

Some of the Minimag prices are pretty solid. Is Natchez pretty good to deal with?

CaptainFuzychin
Aug 21, 2005

Chill_Bebop posted:

Ditto, though I have no pictures. My dad has a Stevens Favorite, a Stevens Little Scout, a Winchester single shot bolt action .22 that was the gun I more or less learned to shoot on, and a breach loading .22 that was made by some no name brand I've never heard of but seems like a pretty nice gun.

And now, for shameless self promotion:

I made this from a beater Single Six. The finish is Browned steel, the grip is a brass birds head grip I shaped myself from a aftermarket blank, and the grips are factories that I shaped to fit the grip frame. The hammer and trigger are off a Bisley Single Six, that I modified slightly to fit into this one. I also own an old model Super Single Six:

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Just as a "just sayin' is all," the S&W Model 41 is easily worth the cost for me. I've shot Buck Marks and Rugers, and they just don't thrill me any more. Even my Ruger Mark II with the Volquartzen innards has been languishing in my gunsafe and will probably be sold off. It's just not as good.

Also, S&W does make extremely good autoloaders besides the 41.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

hangedman posted:

Also, S&W does make extremely good autoloaders besides the 41.

Oh I know, but the hate is more fun.

«597 »