Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«597 »
Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

Captain Log posted:

LOOKITWHATIGOT!!!!

I'll have time for more pictures another day.

Yes, the barrel is threaded with the thread protector also treated in the Turnbull finish. I am over the loving moon right now.

That's beautiful Log! I'm jealous.

A Real Hologram
Jun 22, 2018

Moo!

Log that is so fín cool!!!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Hair Elf

Not to steal Captain Log's thunder but something really stupid showed up today

The Heritage Rough Rider Rancher!

The finish etc is a little rough straight from the factory but I wasn't expecting anything too amazing from a $250 gimmick gun. The stock seems quite nice and it's cool they included a leather sling. Rear sight is adjustable for elevation. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but it seems pretty slick for the price.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 15, 2020

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

my kinda ape posted:

That is fantastic. I'm curious how the accuracy is.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

LOOKITWHATIGOT!!!!

Yes, the barrel is threaded with the thread protector also treated in the Turnbull finish. I am over the loving moon right now.

Yes, that is nice. I still think I prefer the gentler angle of the 22/45, but that finish makes one hell of a compelling argument that I erred. Is that pistol color case hardened, or is just really happy to see me? And what is that little dude next to him? I've seen it around here a few times.

If this gun were a song, I'd say it was "Let's Get It Started" by the Black Eyed Peas.

I say that mainly because if that is "Let's Get It Started," then this...

my kinda ape posted:

The finish etc is a little rough straight from the factory but I wasn't expecting anything too amazing from a $250 gimmick gun. The stock seems quite nice and it's cool they included a leather sling. Rear sight is adjustable for elevation. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but it seems pretty slick for the price.

... must be "Let's Get Retarded" by the same band. There's something so delightfully dumb about this thing. I love it. God drat it, Illinois melting point laws!! I assume that thing is 50% pot metal or something, like a lot of Rough Riders. Which is a shame, really, because they also make that dumb-but-I-love-it 16" barrel six-shooter.

The only thing that would make that thing better would be if you could press a button or something, and the action separates from the stock, revealing a pistol stock that you can swing down and lock into place.

And then you press another button on the stock, and schwing! A blade pops out! It's a switchblade, too!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

my kinda ape posted:

That's beautiful Log! I'm jealous.

Tyro posted:

Hell yeah

A Real Hologram posted:

Log that is so f’n cool!!!

I am over the moon thrilled with it. This is a gun I'll hopefully get to hand down to someone, someday.

Now, I'm just trying to decide on the grips. I actually really like the flat black checkered grips on it. It kinda adds to the future Luger aesthetic.

The Heritage gun looks loving amazing, too.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Captain Log posted:

LOOKITWHATIGOT!!!!

That owns man.

No you need to make a form 1 can and have Turnbull finish the tube to match

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Captain Log posted:

LOOKITWHATIGOT!!!!

I still think I'd go with the Lava Flow grips if I were you. Those ribbons of red would look nice against the black frame and case hardening.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Final Blog Entry posted:

That owns man.

No you need to make a form 1 can and have Turnbull finish the tube to match

I've got some more important things to get finished first, but I'm thinking hard about getting a can. I just loathe government paperwork and red tape.

Parts Kit posted:

I still think I'd go with the Lava Flow grips if I were you. Those ribbons of red would look nice against the black frame and case hardening.

We all know the correct thing to do - get five or six different sets, for science.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Hair Elf

Captain Log posted:

I've got some more important things to get finished first, but I'm thinking hard about getting a can. I just loathe government paperwork and red tape.

Itís really not that bad other than the long wait. If you have SilencerShop do it for you it's even easier. But doing it yourself isn't much harder than the paperwork to buy a gun, aside from the fingerprint cards.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

my kinda ape posted:

Itís really not that bad other than the long wait. If you have SilencerShop do it for you it's even easier. But doing it yourself isn't much harder than the paperwork to buy a gun, aside from the fingerprint cards.

I've got CCWs in four different states that all involved finger prints. Would any of those work?

When I get closer to actually buying one, I'll come bother the NFA thread.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

If you've had your fingerprints taken before, then you pretty much know how to do it (e.g. how to properly roll your fingers). You can get a fingerprint pad for ~$20 off Amazon or something and take your fingerprints yourself. The ATF even supplies the fingerprint cards. https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form You have to use those cards though. The fact that you've ever had your prints taken before for anything else doesn't matter.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Hair Elf

Your local sheriff or police department will probably do your fingerprints for a small fee. Mine does 3 cards for $5 or something like that. You can definitely do it yourself if you're so inclined though.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

my kinda ape posted:

Your local sheriff or police department will probably do your fingerprints for a small fee.
Probably not right now though!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah I think I paid like $7 for my ink pad on Amazon. I roll my own. It's not hard, and as mentioned the cards are free.

Craptacular posted:

Probably not right now though!

Yeah a lot of PDs in my area straight up aren't printing people right now for non-criminal purposes.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

First time shooting the CZ455FS. Was using Aguila Super Colibrís, literally sounded like an airgun. But got a lot of vertical stringing. I was shooting offhand at about 20 yards and was getting about +2/-2 inches. (4" total) vertical string on a 5 round group.

Not sure if it's the gun, the ammo, or me being really rusty with buckhorn sights. Or maybe just breathing since it's the first time I've shot in months. Anyone used this ammo? Think it's a possible cause?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

I imagine bringing a few types of different ammo would answer that pretty quick. Were you bench shooting?

Reminds me, I need to call my range tomorrow and ask if they are actually opening this weekend. Went BLM desert a couple weeks ago. Attempted to sight in a my RAR but between the making GBS threads folding table bench on uneven ground with my backpack as a rest, and the gusty wind that would come and go, I was less than satisfied after 100 rounds. Once I know I have it sighted in properly, larger wind groups wonít bother me.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 16, 2020

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Tyro posted:

First time shooting the CZ455FS. Was using Aguila Super Colibrís, literally sounded like an airgun. But got a lot of vertical stringing. I was shooting offhand at about 20 yards and was getting about +2/-2 inches. (4" total) vertical string on a 5 round group.

Not sure if it's the gun, the ammo, or me being really rusty with buckhorn sights. Or maybe just breathing since it's the first time I've shot in months. Anyone used this ammo? Think it's a possible cause?

The aguilla SSS 60 grain bullets were all over the place when I had mine, same with the cci copper rounds. funky ammo tends to be hit or miss. the cci quiets were pretty accurate and pretty close to the same volume level if you're looking for quiet ammo.

The big box of 325 cheapo federal auto match seemed to be the most affordable without sacrificing much accuracy in my experience.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

I have a lot of types of ammo, once the ranges reopen I'll try more to see if that helps... I was just plinking off the porch and trying not to bother neighbors. Tried to get the CCI Quiets but local range didn't have em. I got a box of the 42gr Gemtech suppressor stuff but I think that's just normal subsonic.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Googling around didn't bring up anything definitive, but I remember a discussion a long while ago saying to avoid the agulia sss ammo, especially if you are shooting with a suppressor

I believe it was something about the size of that bullet vs the twist rate of a typical . 22 rifle that it was prone to tumbling, poor accuracy, etc. The twist rate of the barrel you have is more suited to a lighter . 22 round then the SSS

So. Not surprised you would see accuracy issues with it, especially vs other rounds.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Just to clarify this isn't the SSS, it's a 20 grain round going about 580 FPS. Kind of like a CB cap. But it's still high on my list of potential problems. And I'm not using my suppressors, it's just quiet as hell on it's own.

Edit, it's this stuff: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2506295321

Tyro fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 16, 2020

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Isn't the SSS stuff notorious for baffle strikes in normal .22lrs?

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Tyro posted:

Just to clarify this isn't the SSS, it's a 20 grain round going about 580 FPS. Kind of like a CB cap. But it's still high on my list of potential problems. And I'm not using my suppressors, it's just quiet as hell on it's own.

Edit, it's this stuff: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2506295321

Hell yes, Super Colibri is amazingly quiet out of a long barrel.

I'd say you should eliminate variables first. Lock the gun down in a vice or something, take yourself out of the equation as much as possible.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Hey remember those $330 shipped CZ455 Luxes I was talking about?

Turns out they were threaded (don't see these ones left on GB sadly).

(Suppressor is on there like half a turn, I think they're that 1/2x20 pitch, I've got an adapter inbound)

DeesGrandpa fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 16, 2020

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

DeesGrandpa posted:

Hey remember those $330 shipped CZ455 Luxes I was talking about?

Turns out they were threaded (don't see these ones left on GB sadly).

(Suppressor is on there like half a turn, I think they're that 1/2x20 pitch, I've got an adapter inbound)

Oh god dammit great steal. I am super jealous. I almost bought one on GB but had I seen a threaded one, I definitely would have.

Congrats!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

LOOKITWHATIGOT!!!!

Bruhhhhh that is very nice... congratulations. Excellent purchase.

Finally got around to shooting that new Buckmark I've posted and hahahah it's dumb amounts of fun with the Burris Fastfire. Got it dialed in to 15 yards and spent several hundred rounds making ragged little holes. Then I switched to a spring loaded steel pop-up target and felt like John Wick. Didn't think to get a picture of anything because I was having too much fun but this will definitely be the gun that comes with me on every single shooting/range trip. Maybe it's because I learned to shoot on a .22 Colt Woodsman when I was six years old, maybe because I got hooked on large-caliber revolvers for a long time and forgot what no recoil feels like but this thing just feels like a toy, an arcade gun or some Terminator-style extension of my right arm. The red dot is the first optic I've ever had on a handgun and it's bonkers.

I will say that it did have some problems getting fully into battery dropping the slide on the first round. I had to manually push the slide forward a bunch of times as the round would hang up halfway into the chamber. I've never had a brand-new .22 so I assume this can be attributed to break-in or ammo type (used some older Wildcat and new Aguila 40gr) but it got better as I shot more so I'm not too worried. No problems cycling on followup shots. I might chuck a q-tip into my dremel with some polishing compound and buff it a little?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

tarlibone posted:

And what is that little dude next to him? I've seen it around here a few times.
It's Domo(-kun), a Japanese TV station mascot from the 90s who turned into a meme.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

With a lovely suit of chain mail made by a lovely chain mail making goon.

He is a treasure. The goon too.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

The Turnbull MkIV is dope as gently caress.

Post other, lesser dope as gently caress guns.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

DkHelmet posted:

The Turnbull MkIV is dope as gently caress.

Post other, lesser dope as gently caress guns.

That's the desired end state of my 455fs.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I now want a Turnbull finished suppressor, but they don't finish stuff without doing Xray inspections and other bullshit to make sure they aren't weakening the metal.

I like that level of care going into things as simple as finishing.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

They also I think can only do carbon steels, and I've never heard of a carbon steel suppressor. But you could form 1 a tube pretty easily. Might be heavier than it needs to be but probably worth it. Might be expensive to have someone machine it (mostly setup/labor cost) if you don't have a lathe. Would definitely be unique.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Captain Log posted:

I like that level of care going into things as simple as finishing.

Surface finishing can have a very very large impact on material strength and their fracture dynamics. Itís not something they are doing just because they care.

I remember one of my metallurgy professors discussing a chrome coating application where certain material properties were cut in half. Steel is made up of a bunch of microscopic grains and failures are a result those grains separating. If you look at the surface of metals up close they are actually very rough and all those points create microscopic stress risers where failures can start.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I never got to take fun science classes because of my stupid liberal arts degree. (I always wanted to take auto mechanics, basic electric classes.)

Turnbull did tell me they have three Turnbull Glocks going through their metal vetting process. I'll probably have to get one of those with my being a Glock guy.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

Whats in the box?

Yes my office is a poo poo show

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

I almost bought a T1X earlier this month so I'm looking forward to seeing this one!

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Bogon posted:

Whats in the box?

Yes my office is a poo poo show
Hell yeah! I took my T1x to the range this past weekend and it didn't disappoint, even with cheap ammo. Cycling feels like something is getting slightly hung up on the plastic near the rear of the bolt, but other than that it's everything I wanted.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

I'll unbox it later today after work. But the parts list for it will be an area419 rail, SWFA SS 3-15x42 that's off my SCAR17s and a Harris bipod. I also bought some RWS Target Rifle and 9 extra mags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronaldreagan
Mar 25, 2005

I bought this BRNO 581 from J&G sales a little while back, hard to resist a good C&R 22lr. It's a fun little thing.
Now that I found ammo that it likes (Federal Automatch) I wish it had a higher capacity magazine. 8 rounds goes too fast

«597 »