Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«597 »
That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bogon posted:

Whats in the box?

Yes my office is a poo poo show

Nice liquor options back there 👍

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

That Works posted:

Nice liquor options back there 👍

Yeah, I was trying to look around the rifle box and see what he had on the shelf. I see a lot of Jefferson's, which is on point, and bottle of Weller's trying to hide down low. I keep all my top shelf stuff and stuff I really like down below so that any house guests don't try to do shots of something expensive.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

I'll peel back the layers for you guys although it's only a small portion the rest of it is packed and I have a few bottles on my bar cart. I mostly have that there to screw with people at work when I have to turn on my webcam for work.

Bar Cart

My whole house is a dumpster fire I should be moving to Seattle but...well stuck in NC.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Nice, I can never find Weller. How's the select Dickel?

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Tyro posted:

I can never find the drat Weller around here either because there's a group of guys around here who have a deal where they'll buy all bottles of any uncommon whiskey they see at the store when they see it and sell the excess at cost to each other. I have managed to beat them here and there, scored one of two bottles of Blanton's Single Barrel at the shopette.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

BadgerMan45 posted:

I can never find the drat Weller around here either because there's a group of guys around here who have a deal where they'll buy all bottles of any uncommon whiskey they see at the store when they see it and sell the excess at cost to each other. I have managed to beat them here and there, scored one of two bottles of Blanton's Single Barrel at the shopette.

Man I guess I need to make friends with a group of assholes like that

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Bogon posted:

My whole house is a dumpster fire I should be moving to Seattle but...well stuck in NC.

Where in NC and do you want to meet up to drink whiskey shoot 22ís before you go?

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Tyro posted:

Me too, I'm just complaining because I'm not one of them. It's probably better for my wallet this way though.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

So happy that I am a trendsetter on quality .22 rifles. I need to go shoot my T1x soon.
Tikka T1X Hunting by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

The cz455fs has been slaying squirrels.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

Tyro posted:

Have yet to try it. Some sales guy gave be a bottle for a favor a few years ago.

Tyro posted:

My friends know not to enter my office mostly due to the type of work I do so I keep the somewhat good stuff in it.

The good stuff stays hidden.

Apollodorus posted:

Where in NC and do you want to meet up to drink whiskey shoot 22ís before you go?

At the Cary and Apex border. I think Ill be stuck here till winter I've been told I'm not needed in the office till winter but that may change.

I'm off to go play with the Tikka and get everything installed on it.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Now I feel bad for not taking better pictures of my T1x. Some day, when the world reopens.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

I need to make some adjustments to this mcmillan stock so I can screw my t1x project together. I have an area419 rail for it also. The sterk parts make it match my ctr and my .300wsm hunting tikka.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

ronaldreagan posted:

I bought this BRNO 581 from J&G sales a little while back, hard to resist a good C&R 22lr. It's a fun little thing.
Now that I found ammo that it likes (Federal Automatch) I wish it had a higher capacity magazine. 8 rounds goes too fast

This is really neat. It's got that kind of old futuristic look a lot of older 22 autoloaders have, especially around the magazine.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

Its got all the donor parts on and its clean now I really cant wait to take it monday. Scope base is way to high but its for a SCAR17S. Im going to swap out the stock next month which should fit this scope setup since it will be the exact setup.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

I need to make some adjustments to this mcmillan stock so I can screw my t1x project together. I have an area419 rail for it also. The sterk parts make it match my ctr and my .300wsm hunting tikka.

Is yours the .17HMR version? Where did you get that bolt/knob?

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

charliebravo77 posted:

Is yours the .17HMR version? Where did you get that bolt/knob?

Yeah its .17hmr but a .22lr is on the list for this summer. The bolt comes from Sterk and I bought doubles in anticipation of putting together a matching .22.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yeah its .17hmr but a .22lr is on the list for this summer. The bolt comes from Sterk and I bought doubles in anticipation of putting together a matching .22.

Cool, they make Ti thread protectors too. I figured it was a .17 based on the magazine profile, but hoped you had somehow found a more flush-fit .22 one.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

Thatís fantastic!

Anyone have recommendations on a good budget bipod? Going on my Ruger American Rimfire.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Atticus_1354 posted:

17hmr is pretty drat awesome. A good choice.

If I hadn't bought that Anschutz 17hmr I'd probably be looking at these pretty hard.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

So I actually shot a 22LR rifle Tuesday for the first time. Holy poo poo that thing makes me feel like an expert marksman with how little it recoils and how accurate I can shoot with it, compared to ARs and 9mm pistols. Now I really have to get some rimfire guns just for fun.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

jwang posted:

So I actually shot a 22LR rifle Tuesday for the first time. Holy poo poo that thing makes me feel like an expert marksman with how little it recoils and how accurate I can shoot with it, compared to ARs and 9mm pistols. Now I really have to get some rimfire guns just for fun.

I started on 22 rifles when I was a kid. Last year, a 10/22 became my 2nd or 3rd gun, pretty much for this reason. They are just so fun and accurate.

Watch out, though. Twenty-two Long Rifle is the Lay's potato chip of guns: no one can have just one. I followed that 10/22 with a Wrangler, a Mark IV 22/45, and a S&W Model 63. On 22 day at the range, I go through hundreds of rounds.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

The other advantage of 22lr is that it's like 1/4th the price of the next cheapest round.

You can get boxes of 50 for the same price as a single fancy 308 round.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Captain Log posted:

LOOKITWHATIGOT!!!!

I'll have time for more pictures another day.

Yes, the barrel is threaded with the thread protector also treated in the Turnbull finish. I am over the loving moon right now.

That right there is one sexy gun!

Also, I got a rail in the mail!

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Also, I got a rail in the mail!

Nice! That right there is going to be fun as poo poo.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Turnbull Ruger Question Time -

I'm waiting to take it to a range before I start loving with it. But that being said, a suppressor would be a long way off any way I slice it.

What would be the best place to find a cool break, comp, or whatever it's called? I have no real performance related goal. I just think it would look cool.

Any sight recommendations while we're at it? They look like I could swap them pretty easily. I have AmeriGlos on my Glocks, but I got them because they were about half price. For this gun, I'd want to go with something nice and bright.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Turnbull Ruger Question Time -

I'm waiting to take it to a range before I start loving with it. But that being said, a suppressor would be a long way off any way I slice it.

What would be the best place to find a cool break, comp, or whatever it's called? I have no real performance related goal. I just think it would look cool.

Any sight recommendations while we're at it? They look like I could swap them pretty easily. I have AmeriGlos on my Glocks, but I got them because they were about half price. For this gun, I'd want to go with something nice and bright.

Kinda surprised you want to play tacticool dress up with your new Turnbull.

Muzzle attachments can be found all over the place. Since you just want something that looks cool maybe check out eBay.

For sights, Iíd highly recommend sticking with target sights if you donít like whatís currently on it.

https://www.tandemkross.com/ would probably be a great start if you want to check out high quality upgrades and accessories.

Compensator for example.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 24, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Iím going to see how it shoots first. Iím tempted to put a dot on it and tart it up, but Iím also wanting to leave it classy.

Too many choices, but in a good way.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

Shoot first, accessories later.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Alternatively, buy another MKIV or Buckmark and dress it up to your hearts content

Captain Log posted:

Iím going to see how it shoots first. Iím tempted to put a dot on it and tart it up, but Iím also wanting to leave it classy.

Too many choices, but in a good way.

If you havenít shot one before, I think you are going to melt the first time you shoot it with how simply wonderful it is. Add with how gorgeous that gun is, and you may find it hard to think about changing it further.

Grips and a can would be simply lovely though. But as has been said before, do what makes your heart happy! Iíd just find other guns to modify if I had such a pristine piece of work.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Alternatively, buy another MKIV or Buckmark and dress it up to your hearts content

If you havenít shot one before, I think you are going to melt the first time you shoot it with how simply wonderful it is. Add with how gorgeous that gun is, and you may find it hard to think about changing it further.

Grips and a can would be simply lovely though. But as has been said before, do what makes your heart happy! Iíd just find other guns to modify if I had such a pristine piece of work.

I will swap the sights, though. The ones on it are...minimalistic.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I will swap the sights, though. The ones on it are...minimalistic.

Also, I just ordered some new Altamont grips for my Buckmark. Looking at their MKIV selection and holy poo poo look at some of these on Turnbulls.

You know, in case you werenít having a hard enough time already.

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/ruger/mark4/

I love those blue Falconiaís.

E: this something you had in mind for sights? https://www.opticsplanet.com/willia...-dvtl-base.html

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 24, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Also, I just ordered some new Altamont grips for my Buckmark. Looking at their MKIV selection and holy poo poo look at some of these on Turnbulls.

You know, in case you werenít having a hard enough time already.

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/ruger/mark4/

I love those blue Falconiaís.

E: this something you had in mind for sights? https://www.opticsplanet.com/willia...-dvtl-base.html

Yep! Those were the sights I was looking at.

I always drool at some of the Altamont grips, but I also have a major soft spot for the funky Hogue ones on my 640.

I think that wood is called Pau Ferro? Maybe?

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

I started on 22 rifles when I was a kid. Last year, a 10/22 became my 2nd or 3rd gun, pretty much for this reason. They are just so fun and accurate.

Watch out, though. Twenty-two Long Rifle is the Lay's potato chip of guns: no one can have just one. I followed that 10/22 with a Wrangler, a Mark IV 22/45, and a S&W Model 63. On 22 day at the range, I go through hundreds of rounds.

I get a chuckle when non-gun people say something like "who needs a thousand rounds of ammo anyway!?" as I mail order 5k rounds of CCI-SV when they go on sale.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I just had a realization.

Faux Ivory grips might look boss on the Turnbull.

(I'm going to buy eight sets when this is all done. I've just grown to accept it.)

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

22 WMR cylinders finally back in stock for the Rough Rider Rancher

I did take it out last week and fired like 18 rounds. Seemed pretty accurate although I'm not the greatest shot in the world and I'm not accustomed to shooting a gun like that. I could hit a soda can at 50 yards or so, or petty close to it

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

So I got a Browning BL22. I want to get a Skinner rear peep sight for it and I'm wondering about the front sight. It seems I'll need to get a taller front sight to go with it, and i was wondering if I could use a globe front sight with the peep sight, or would a regular post or bead better suited to it?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

Got a call to go cull some feral domestic rabbits with the homestead crew today. I rocked my dad's Remington 512, which he gave me last month in the process of moving. It works:

(Best guess is I took 2/3 of that, including the squirrel)

I had never cooked or eaten rabbit before, but the group consensus was that it could be treated like chicken. So I cornbreaded it:

The rabbit meat eaters present returned positive reviews, though I did not care for the consistency of the meat. A bunch is on ice to be fried again tomorrow to see if that works, too.

Javid fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 28, 2020

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

Got a call to go cull some feral domestic rabbits with the homestead crew today. I rocked my dad's Remington 512, which he gave me last month in the process of moving. It works:

(Best guess is I took 2/3 of that, including the squirrel)

I had never cooked or eaten rabbit before, but the group consensus was that it could be treated like chicken. So I cornbreaded it:

The rabbit meat eaters present returned positive reviews, though I did not care for the consistency of the meat. A bunch is on ice to be fried again tomorrow to see if that works, too.

It's good stewed also or braised. Low heat (250f) for like 3h with with some onions, garlic, salt, butter, herbs. Toss in some potato chunks in the last hour and coat in the fat etc and then crank up the heat to 400f for the last 30m and let the potatoes brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

That Works posted:

It's good stewed also or braised. Low heat (250f) for like 3h with with some onions, garlic, salt, butter, herbs. Toss in some potato chunks in the last hour and coat in the fat etc and then crank up the heat to 400f for the last 30m and let the potatoes brown.

This.

Part of the issue with treating rabbit like chicken is that rabbit is significantly leaner than basically anything from a chicken other than a painstakingly trimmed, skinless breast cutlet. Between the lack of fat and the high surface area to mass for any given portion of a rabbit, it's generally worth assuming you'll overshoot the "no longer raw but not overcooked" window and should just aim for a longer, wet heat treatment, as far as I can tell.

There may be some sous vide options, but I've actually never seen or read about anyone cooking rabbit that way so far.

«597 »