Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«597 »
DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Rabbit just screams stew over a campfire to me. Im sure there's other ways to do it but man I'd have a hard time wanting to do something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Coq au vine with rabbit was my favorite when I raised rabbits. Also easy to make a lot to please a crowd or a little for just me and leftovers.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Rabbit Ragout

Ingredients

3 tablesoons butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, finely diced
3 thick slices pancetta, diced
cup flour
500 g rabbit meat pieces (large chunks)
3 cloves garlic, finely diced or crushed
300 g small mushrooms, halved or quartered, depending on size
1 tablespoon juniper berries, crushed
250mls white wine
700mls chicken or veal stock
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
500-600g pappardelle pasta (long thick fettucine pasta)
100g freshly grated parmesan
Method

Gently heat the butter and oil in a heatproof casserole dish, add the onions and pancetta, cook on medium heat without colour, stirring constantly.

Coat the rabbit pieces in the flour, shake off any excess, add to the pancetta and onions, stir very well, and make sure all the rabbit is browned.

Add all of the other ingredients, and stir really well, making sure to scrape the bottom.

Place the lid on and put in the oven, at 180C for about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile cook the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil, cooking time for the pasta will vary depending on whether its fresh or dried, fresh pasta will only take about 6 minutes to cook, dried will take about 10-15 minutes.

Once the pasta is cooked, toss with butter, just before serving

Remove the rabbit ragout from the oven after 30 minutes, and take the rabbit pieces out, reduce the liquid by half, this will take about 20 minutes on low heat, you will have to keep stirring intermittently.

Season with salt and pepper to taste, add a dash of cream, if you wish, to finish off.

Roughly chop the rabbit pieces and place back into the sauce.

Serve the ragout on top of the pappardelle with grated parmesan.

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

This is digging deep into the archives (you probably need the upgrade), but GWS had a great thread nine (!!!) years back with interesting rabbit recipes (from farmed rabbit, for what it's worth, but still).

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Rabbit is a tricky fucker to cook. I've never been on a line and had to cook it, but I know it's a bitch from working expo.

Low and slow is the way I've always seen it done. Or slow basted in a poo poo ton of butter and thyme.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Interesting because when I sous vide stuff, I cook it and it stays moist. Not rabbit, but all other meats.

Set your temp, leave it for <time> and give it a quick braise when you are ready. If you get very creative you can add what you want for a sauce in the bag with it. If I had me some rabbits I would experiment a bit,

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Ive had rabbit once. Nice Portuguese restaurant in NYC. Id guess theyd cooked it slow like youd do with brisket. It was served with mashed potatoes and was fantastic

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

The only rabbit I can specifically recall having was in the jambalaya at Coop's Place in New Orleans. It's great, but probably not the best dish for one specific ingredient to get a chance to shine

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I ordered some grips.

Plural.

For more than one 22.

I'm sure I will hate them and instantly buy more. For science.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

The grips box goes next to the holster box.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

mischief posted:

The grips box goes next to the holster box.

Oh yeah.

I've been thinking about getting some wood grips for my Model 63. Maybe a low profile boot grip or something. Since I'm going to be biking around, I might as well put my Kit Gun in my... uh, kit.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Sell the poo poo you don't like. For the longest time I held on to grips/accessories that I wasn't super into because hey there'll be a gun/time I want these! I never did, and the boxes just got bigger. Turns out it's nicer to have the closet space and beer money.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I ordered some grips.

Plural.

For more than one 22.

I'm sure I will hate them and instantly buy more. For science.

Hell yeah! Cant wait to see what you get.

I got some Altamont grips on the way. Going to be several weeks before they finish them though. Its ok. I can be patient. My Ruger American in .17 HMR is keeping be busy and well its just a joy. Im thinking I want a larger scope though. This 2-7x Nikon (with a 75y parallax) was originally bought for a .22lr but I know I can tighten these groups up. Finally got it zeroed!

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 30, 2020

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I bought a Ruger American Target in 22 WMR.

It's nice and accurate, I can hit golf balls pretty easily at 100 yards with federal bulk 50gr ammo, but it has a weird habit of making the first round in a string a flyer. Almost every time I would load a new mag and start shooting the first round would be a few inches low a slightly to the right of the rest of the group. I zeroed the scope with the Federal ammo and then I shot five rounds of Hornady 30gr V-Max at the end of the day. The V-Max did the same thing, the first round was low, and the rest grouped together. Is this just a bunch of flyers and I'm seeing patterns where there isn't anything going on, or could something with the rifle or ammo be causing this?

This is the V-Max group, shot at 100 yards, thumb for scale.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

In that video where the guy was getting great results out of a base Plinkster, he mentioned that he always loads the magazine in the rifle with the bolt closed, then works it to load the first shot.

His reasoning was that being stripped out of the magazine scored the round, thus changing where it would hit. This wouldn't be true for the first shot if he were loading with an open bolt, thus leading to a flyer.

I'm nowhere near a good enough shot to test this, but what came to mind when you mentioned the first round always being off.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Hm, ok I'll give that a try next time I'm at the range.

Oh hey it's page 597.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

How are Mossberg 464s? LGS has a sale on the 18" wood/black model for $220.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Wifi Toilet posted:

Aww, I missed the CMMG 4.5 page. Mine's still in progress (can't decide on a handguard) but I got impatient and threw some parts together for funsies and ended up with some kind of Star Wars blaster thing.

Still making progress on my 22 AR. Got an extended flash can on the way until I can get a Dead Air Mask or Rugged Oculus for it. Probably replacing the Strikefire with a Holosun reflex dot next time I find a good deal on one.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

CROSS. POSTING!!!

As most of you know, I've been agonizing about grips for my Turnbull. I wanted something awesome, but I also didn't want to take away from the finish itself.

After much consideration, a package came today from LS Grips.

Behold, the selection I made -

Faux Ivory, I think you're gonna do just fine.

But it didn't satisfy my hunger for some funky grips. I want something LOUD, damnit.

I scratched that itch.

I scratched it good.

My Wrangler now has grips worth a third of what I paid for the gun, new.

If my light box was bigger, I'd take a family photo. But I think this works.

BRB, crossposting this everywhere.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Gun Saliva

Captain Log posted:

My Wrangler now has grips worth a third of what I paid for the gun, new.

A tough price to swallow, but it looks great. Colourful grips go so well with that matte black finish. Get more colorful wheelguns people, they're fun!

Kramjacks posted:

Oh hey it's page 597.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kramjacks posted:

Hm, ok I'll give that a try next time I'm at the range.

Oh hey it's page 597.

You found my Bass boat

«597 »