Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I purchased a sub $20 Chinese red dot off Amazon for my Chiappa.

My Chiappa Badger was propped in the and slowly slid down the wall, hitting the floor with the lightest thump.

It cracked the glass.

I'm very pro-cheap poo poo, but sadly this one was indeed some cheap poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Since we're on the subject of scopes.
I was planning on getting a Vortex Crossfire ii Rimfire 2x7-33 scope for the savage I just picked up.

Good choice? Bad?

Most places in Canada seem to be selling it for about 199$ vs. 129ish in Americastan.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

Since we're on the subject of scopes.
I was planning on getting a Vortex Crossfire ii Rimfire 2x7-33 scope for the savage I just picked up.

Good choice? Bad?

Most places in Canada seem to be selling it for about 199$ vs. 129ish in Americastan.

I think that's the one I just bought. I like it, but I'm no expert. That said, it seems to have a good reputation for its price. The glass is clear, eye relief is good, and since it's a one-inch tube, you won't have a problem finding rings for pretty much any mounting system.

Speaking of cheapo stuff... I also got a cheapo red dot a while back for my Mark IV 22/45. It held zero pretty well, but I took it off because I also really like the irons. When I installed a Hi Viz front sight, I liked the fiber optics more than the red dot. But, the dot worked fine, even if the switch was a little sketchy.

Ironically, the pipe I like the best in that front sight is the white one, which doesn't glow. But now that I dropped in that accurizing kit, I may put it back on for a spell. See how it does.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Captain Log posted:

I purchased a sub $20 Chinese red dot off Amazon for my Chiappa.

My Chiappa Badger was propped in the and slowly slid down the wall, hitting the floor with the lightest thump.

It cracked the glass.

I'm very pro-cheap poo poo, but sadly this one was indeed some cheap poo poo.

better it break now than in the field, especially as a result of being fired when your eyeball's right by it

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Wife found me a 525 box of Winchester western by standing in line for an hour. Hopefully can have a range report next week on how it feeds in drums.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

I sexually identify as a fat tinder girl,

Yeah lemme just clean my pannus first.

These candles smell amazing btw

I have a bit of a conundrum: my current steel challenge rimfire gun, a Ruger mk4 22/45 with Volquartzen internals and TK comp, works really well with CCI mini-mags and other higher-velocity ammo. Feeds well, functions well, and shoots very accurately. However, finding mini-mags for a decent price has become pretty difficult.

But there's a twist! I recently got a bunch of CCI SV ammo for basically pre-panic prices and it works OK. Feeds alright, shoots accurately, but has pretty consistent failures to extract. I'm guessing it's because it's just not making enough gas to cycle the bolt with a compensator attached, which is a shame because I really like how the gun shoots otherwise. It just looks like I'll be shooting nothing but SV for the forseeable future.

In this case, what should I do? Should I remove the comp? Use a lighter recoil spring? Something else? 22 nerds, please lend me your wisdom.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Time Crisis Actor posted:

I have a bit of a conundrum: my current steel challenge rimfire gun, a Ruger mk4 22/45 with Volquartzen internals and TK comp, works really well with CCI mini-mags and other higher-velocity ammo. Feeds well, functions well, and shoots very accurately. However, finding mini-mags for a decent price has become pretty difficult.

But there's a twist! I recently got a bunch of CCI SV ammo for basically pre-panic prices and it works OK. Feeds alright, shoots accurately, but has pretty consistent failures to extract. I'm guessing it's because it's just not making enough gas to cycle the bolt with a compensator attached, which is a shame because I really like how the gun shoots otherwise. It just looks like I'll be shooting nothing but SV for the forseeable future.

In this case, what should I do? Should I remove the comp? Use a lighter recoil spring? Something else? 22 nerds, please lend me your wisdom.

Not sure if this is helpful, but I was able to find CCI Mini-Mags in stock at my local Walmart on the day they got their last ammo shipment and I think it was sub 10cpr.
The Mini-Mags were more expensive per round (and only available in smaller quantities) than other ammo, so it was some of the last to go.
No clue how generalizable that is, but depending on where you live it might be worth checking out.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

I mentioned 9x25 to my dad last night. He got really excited about the potential of having 115gr bullets going 1800fps+ out of a pistol. Then he realized how many calibers we reload for and said “I think we need to hold off”.

So now it’s time to look for dies :V

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

poeticoddity posted:

Not sure if this is helpful, but I was able to find CCI Mini-Mags in stock at my local Walmart on the day they got their last ammo shipment and I think it was sub 10cpr.
The Mini-Mags were more expensive per round (and only available in smaller quantities) than other ammo, so it was some of the last to go.
No clue how generalizable that is, but depending on where you live it might be worth checking out.

I’ll have to go check this out. Do they get stuff on a set schedule?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Time Crisis Actor posted:

I’ll have to go check this out. Do they get stuff on a set schedule?

I assume there's a semi-consistent schedule that varies from store to store.

Depending on where you live, there's a chance people are basically in line waiting when ammo arrives. People buying ammo to flip was a major driver of lack of availability in B&M stores in the last panic, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was still going on.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Got some new toys.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Left is a 275 round American 180 drum on an out of production A&D adapter that fits onto a G3/HK91 type rifle with a 22lr conversion kit (I have a PTR-91). On the right is a 100 round Calico M-100 helical magazine that goes with my new Calico M-100S!

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

Nice!

In other news, I'm poorly coping with some stuff at the moment so in 10 days I get to pick up a Walther G22, a Walther P22, and a Keystone Mini-Mosin.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Feed those Walthers HV. I had best luck with mini mags.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

Yeah, I've heard they can be picky but I'm pretty well stocked on .22 including Mini-Mags.

And why the hell aren't the mags on the G22 and P22 interchangeable?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I finally took my RPR rimfire out today on the second to last day of squirrel season. Sighted in in nicely, but didn’t see any squirrels.

I has the Vortex Crossfire II on it and that worked pretty well.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Err so my state doesn't allow suppressors but sub sonic loads are still going to be quieter outdoors right? Subs vs supers indoors unsuppressed?

Also what about barrel length vs muzzle report? Are shorter or longer barrels quieter with the same load?

I'm basically trying to build out a 22 that's as quiet as possible without a suppressor.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 2, 2021

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Err so my state doesn't allow suppressors but sub sonic loads are still going to be quieter outdoors right? Subs vs supers indoors unsuppressed?

Also what about barrel length vs muzzle report? Are shorter or longer barrels quieter with the same load?

I'm basically trying to build out a 22 that's as quiet as possible with a suppressor.

I assume you mean "without a suppressor".

Sub-sonic loads are going to be quieter than non sub-sonic loads.
Longer barrels have larger bore volumes which means lower pressures and lower report, with the exception of really short barrels potentially not allowing rounds to accelerate to full velocity.

I'm not sure exactly why you're asking about indoors vs. outdoors, but sub-sonics are quieter in both circumstances.
If you're looking at an indoor range, you're still going to be dealing with noise from other shooters, so I wouldn't bother given the price premium you normally have for sub-sonics.
If you're trying to shoot inside your home for some reason, don't. Even sub-sonics are too fast to shoot without kicking up significant amounts of heavy metal dust, which is really difficult to deal with. And that's assuming you don't get any that actually go super-sonic.

If you're looking for something that will let you shoot targets, perform pest control, or take small game (and I'm assuming you'd be doing so legally, safely, and considerately) an air-gun is probably your best bet. Gas pistons are the cheapest entry point I'd advise for anything more than plinking, but PCPs are generally quieter, and some have integrated suppressors that aren't NFA items.

There are "primer only" .22LR rounds which are probably quieter than sub-sonics, but they definitely won't cycle in semi-autos (sub-sonics probably won't, but "primer only" definitely won't).
There are also .22 rounds (.22L, .22Short, .22CB, and .22BB come to mind) which can be safely run in manually cycled .22LR firearms but they'll cause some unusual lead fouling because they're shorter than .22LR.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Thanks. By indoor/outdoor I mean does the supersonic crack sound different in either case?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Most 22lr standard velocity ammunition is already subsonic.

A longer barrel will typically be quieter than a short one, because while the bullet exits at subsonic speed, the pressure inside the barrel that's released when the bullet exits can cause supersonic gas flow. A shorter barrel will have higher pressure at that point.

E: Shooting indoors sounds different and will be louder, but that's entirely due to the acoustics of a closed room. If your indoor range has good sound dampening it can still be quiet.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 2, 2021

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Can confirm that CCI Quiets and Suppressor loads are pretty quiet out of my Marlin 39A and Browning SA-22 while shooting out in the back yard.

The Quiets will also cycle the Browning, so that's fun

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

CCI subsonics are a lot of fun out of my scout rifle but the explosion of the shot is still there. All you get rid of is the supersonic crack. I'm not sure I would even shoot a box of it without at least minimal earpro.

So speaking of ammo, i am on my last few dozen rounds of CCI Blazers. I want to try more high end ammo to compare and contrast what my gun likes. Any thoughts for 4-5 boxes of "better" stuff to buy?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

If you have CMP eligibility they carry several types of Eley at very reasonable rates — but shipping takes a while.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ok currently I’m thinking 4.5” to get ‘something’ reduced out of my big stockpile of supers and a long rear end ‘linear comp’ to tame what’s left since I can’t have a suppressor.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

A normal high velocity round from my G44 or Mark IV is loud enough to cause my ears to ring. Definitely need ear protection. Not quite 9mm loud but not far off. Same with a "Quiet" round. Still loud enough to require ear protection and will not cycle. I don't shoot shorts out of these guns but a short out of my Rough Rider sounds like an old 80's cap gun, it's tolerable without ear protection.

A normal high velocity round from my 24" barrel bolt action will still make a crack but does not ring the ears. A quiet does not. A short sounds like a suppressed gun. If you're concerned about noise the longer the barrel and the more variety in ammunition you can fire the better.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I'm not really worried about noise its just a dumb goal to hit. How quiet can I make a 22LR in a suppressor ban state. Also I have thousands of rounds of supers so while subs would be neat to try a box the bulk of my shooting will be supers. Really long bolt action rifles are too clunky indoors I'd like to have something I can shoot at indoor/outdoor pistol ranges so the current platform of choice is a 10/22TD and a AR-22 pistol. AR-22 pistol having the most modularity and ease of swapping parts.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm not really worried about noise its just a dumb goal to hit. How quiet can I make a 22LR in a suppressor ban state. Also I have thousands of rounds of supers so while subs would be neat to try a box the bulk of my shooting will be supers. Really long bolt action rifles are too clunky indoors I'd like to have something I can shoot at indoor/outdoor pistol ranges so the current platform of choice is a 10/22TD and a AR-22 pistol. AR-22 pistol having the most modularity and ease of swapping parts.

If "really long" rifles are unwieldy indoors, the question becomes who makes the longest bullpup in .22LR?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

poeticoddity posted:

If "really long" rifles are unwieldy indoors, the question becomes who makes the longest bullpup in .22LR?

10/22 bullpup conversion would have an 18.5" or 16.5" barrel.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Anyone see 22 subs for sale anywhere?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Shaocaholica posted:

I mean there are semi-auto .22s that have "long" barrels. Savage 64 with a 21 inch comes to mind. There is a 10/22 "Sporter" with 22'' as well so bullpup that one if you're going hogge wilde.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

So I found a stash of 22 subs at my LGS randomly so yay.

What differences in sound and velocity can I expect shooting subsonics from a 4.5/9/16" barrel? All unsuppressed.

hobes
Jan 15, 2007

Fight! Fight! Comrade!

Shaocaholica posted:

So I found a stash of 22 subs at my LGS randomly so yay.

What differences in sound and velocity can I expect shooting subsonics from a 4.5/9/16" barrel? All unsuppressed.

Velocities and sound will likely be consistent. Consistent as in, slight variation, but nominal within the field of shooting subs.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anyone got a ballpark value on this in nearly NIB condition? A buddy recently got into shooting and wants something he can train with without sending himself to the poor house and I never shoot the thing so I told him I'd probably sell it to him for like 75% of current value or $50 below pre insanity prices, whichever is lower.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

That is a MK III so I'm not exactly sure what they were selling for originally. The only comparable ones online I see are trying to get ~$800 for them which is insane. My MK IV was $550 in the before times last January FWIW.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

A quick poke around showed a MKIV 22/45 lite in that color for $700 new, and pre-panic prices under $500.

I waited until the MKIV came out after watching MKII/III disassembly/reassembly videos. Personally quite happy with that decision.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I only paid $400 after tax for my mkiv lite, lgs, but it was the gold color and they couldn't move it. Fuddly stuffy people, got no flair.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

pumped up for school posted:

I only paid $400 after tax for my mkiv lite, lgs, but it was the gold color and they couldn't move it. Fuddly stuffy people, got no flair.

I paid I think 475 for my MkIV lite which was black with the gold barrel

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Pitre posted:

That is a MK III so I'm not exactly sure what they were selling for originally. The only comparable ones online I see are trying to get ~$800 for them which is insane. My MK IV was $550 in the before times last January FWIW.

Jesus Christ, my Turnbull Mk IV was $800 with a threaded bull barrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

Yikes. I think I got my Mk IV 22/45 Lite for like $460 or something like that WITH the fluorescent purple color.