Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Captain Log posted:

Jesus Christ, my Turnbull Mk IV was $800 with a threaded bull barrel.

I'm gonna shoot that thing one day. You'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

armorer posted:

I'm gonna shoot that thing one day. You'll see.

If you shoot it before me, something has gone very wrong.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

Anyone got a ballpark value on this in nearly NIB condition? A buddy recently got into shooting and wants something he can train with without sending himself to the poor house and I never shoot the thing so I told him I'd probably sell it to him for like 75% of current value or $50 below pre insanity prices, whichever is lower.

Ehhh. Lowball yourself at $350 (or equivalent) and ask for right of first refusal upon sale. It comes back, it comes back. Not like you shot it a bunch anyways.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

pumped up for school posted:

I only paid $400 after tax for my mkiv lite, lgs, but it was the gold color and they couldn't move it. Fuddly stuffy people, got no flair.

24 carat is the only way baby! Also, yeah get a MK IV over a MK III for the one button takedown and assembly alone.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Captain Log posted:

If you shoot it before me, something has gone very wrong.

Nah, there's a range trip in our future, even if it's a year+ out. I'll PM you.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

armorer posted:

Nah, there's a range trip in our future, even if it's a year+ out. I'll PM you.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

My local auction house has a lot of 4 325 round bricks of federal automatch sitting at $280 with 7 days to go. Think I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they will consign just ammo because it may be time to turn ammo into guns.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

I hit up a LGS out in the boonies and picked up 100 rounds each of Federal Target, Aguila Match, Aguila Target, RWS Target, and Eley Target for a cool hundo. Can't wait to hit up the range and see what my Scout likes at 100m.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Had a big range day with my newly kitted out 10/22 (Volquartsen target hammer, Magpul Hunter X-22 stock, new scope mounts, three BX-25 mags and a BX-15 mag, collapsible bipod).

Started with sighting in at 50 yards and by the end I was getting consistent 2 inch groupings with trash white box ammo.

100 yards was...fine. The 3-9 scope was just enough but without a nice reticle with ranging I had to guesstimate; accuracy I'd say was 4 inches accounting for an average bullet drop of 5-6 inches (200 rounds fired total in sets of 5-10 with time to let the barrel cool. It's a standard blued barrel not a match barrel.)

The last 50 rounds though I started to get cycling issues; when I first shot the rifle a month ago I got the occasional feeding issues with the BX-10 magazine and the blunt tips of the winchester ammo (this trash: https://www.targetsportsusa.com/winchester-22-lr-ammo-36-grain-plhp-bulk-22lr333hp-p-1425.aspx) but this time out I had no feeding issues with any magazine but by the end the gun would not cycle; it would not fully battery the next round every 2-3 shots fired. After a full cleaning and inspection (it was clean going to the range) I did not note serious debris on the magazines and the stock charging handle seemed to be dirty but not gunked at all.

Any thoughts on why the bolt would only cycle 90% of the way? Spring issues with the charging handle?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Dirty chamber maybe? I had similar issues with my Rhineland R-22, which the manufacturer attributed to a tight, target chamber that I was shooting garbage ammo through. Maybe take a chamber brush with you next time and see if that resolves the issue on the spot.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

fatman1683 posted:

Dirty chamber maybe? I had similar issues with my Rhineland R-22, which the manufacturer attributed to a tight, target chamber that I was shooting garbage ammo through. Maybe take a chamber brush with you next time and see if that resolves the issue on the spot.

That was my suspicion (coupled with the trash ammo that has known issues with its blunt, copper-clad face) but thankfully the rest of my ammo is lapua match/Federal champion (with a few comedy option 21 grain CCI copper matrix to try out sometime) and I'm hoping that will mean improved performance.

do NOT jack off
May 15, 2015

hey whatcha got there

Hi thread, I have a .22 that I can't seem to find much info about on the internet. My gf just got it from her folks' house and brought it to my place, as we're planning on taking it to the range/middle of nowhere for some economical shooting fun. My gf's dad bought it in 1980. It's in really good condition, save for a single crack in the stock. Which is surprising, since it's been sitting in a New Orleans sub-basement since before Katrina.

It is a fairly unique gun in the sense that it seems to have gone out of production before the internet, meaning there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info about it. It's also made in Japan, which makes me wonder what the production process was like. I'm posting it here for general consideration, and to see if maybe anyone here has some insight into these guns. I've got pics of course!

First, here's the side of the cardboard box it came in (lol), please excuse my gross goony rug

Here's part of the front of the box

Here's the gun itself on my bathroom floor

Here's the model number and ammo types as well as part of the iron sights, yes the "anb" is supposed to be "and", it's misspelled.

Featuring the safety mechanism and the chrome bolt

Anyone have insight into guns like this? It'd be appreciated, I'm a total gun newbie but am interested in learning about the weapons I have access to, know what I mean?

do NOT jack off fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 19, 2021

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Looks like a famous Ultra Hi to me. Probably MobeL 2200. What's really cool here is that it's chambered in 22 Short, 22 Long, anb 22 Long Rifle!

... sorry, I couldn't resist.

That sure looks unique. I mean, using b's instead of d's means that there was a nanogram of attention put into detail, so, you know... yeah. But, then again, it's a 22 bolt-action, so as long as it's not made out of tinfoil and the barrel isn't obstructed, it'll probably shoot just fine.

Before I took it out, I'd see if it chambers and ejects properly. Or maybe only do that when you take it out, so you can have it pointed in a safe distance when testing it out. Check the barrel first, of course. And bring another 22, because you still want to have some fun, even if your crazy Japanese 22 turns out to be a dud.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

do NOT jack off posted:

Hi thread, I have a .22 that I can't seem to find much info about on the internet. My gf just got it from her folks' house and brought it to my place, as we're planning on taking it to the range/middle of nowhere for some economical shooting fun. My gf's dad bought it in 1980. It's in really good condition, save for a single crack in the stock. Which is surprising, since it's been sitting in a New Orleans sub-basement since before Katrina.

It is a fairly unique gun in the sense that it seems to have gone out of production before the internet, meaning there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info about it. It's also made in Japan, which makes me wonder what the production process was like. I'm posting it here for general consideration, and to see if maybe anyone here has some insight into these guns. I've got pics of course!

First, here's the side of the cardboard box it came in (lol), please excuse my gross goony rug

Here's part of the front of the box

Here's the gun itself on my bathroom floor

Here's the model number and ammo types as well as part of the iron sights, yes the "anb" is supposed to be "and", it's misspelled.

Featuring the safety mechanism and the chrome bolt

Anyone have insight into guns like this? It'd be appreciated, I'm a total gun newbie but am interested in learning about the weapons I have access to, know what I mean?

The little I can find online, mostly from listings for flintlock guns, indicates that these were made by Miroku during the 70's. Miroku has a good reputation. They were the contractors for the Browning Auto-5 shotgun for decades and those are fine weapons.

Target fore-end, raised comb butt stock, and cheap pressed steel sights. I would guess they expected it to be scoped. Maybe throw a vintage Japanese scope on it? Looks like Numrich has some parts available here, along with a schematic. The extractors being OOS worries me a bit, but I'm reasonably sure a part from another gun could be made to fit. Don't hold me to that.

Anyways. A well-made, high feature, inexpensive gun from 70's Japan. A rear-wheel-drive Toyota Corolla with leather and defrost.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Come to think of it, Bushnell sold scopes made in Japan during the same period that rifle was made. Maybe a Bushnell Chief of some variety would be in order?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I was furniture shopping today, and one place suggested to me happens to be next to a Cabela's. So, I went in to check out their gun stuff. On the door was a sign reading, "NO HANDGUN AMMO. LIMITED RIFLE AMMO." And it was indeed limited! Almost non-existant. Even the reloading section had been scaled down to a couple of micro-aisles with literally just random stuff available.

They did have a lot of the other accessories, especially for AR-15's. I was looking hard at some of the really high-velocity air rifles, probably break-action? I didn't read the details, but they were starting to look interesting. Then, I saw two versions of a 10/22 stock and accessory pack that makes the 10/22 look like an AR-15. One even had a bayonette, which was a great comedy option. And I was about to put it in the cart, but then I realized... no optics. And I don't think my tech sights would be compatible with the kit. Sadly, I put it back.

I want to have a dumb tactical 10/22, but I like my current setup with the Tech Sights. The only thing I'd maybe change is getting a decent wood stock. I guess I should think about getting another 10/22.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

tarlibone posted:

I was furniture shopping today, and one place suggested to me happens to be next to a Cabela's. So, I went in to check out their gun stuff. On the door was a sign reading, "NO HANDGUN AMMO. LIMITED RIFLE AMMO." And it was indeed limited! Almost non-existant. Even the reloading section had been scaled down to a couple of micro-aisles with literally just random stuff available.

They did have a lot of the other accessories, especially for AR-15's. I was looking hard at some of the really high-velocity air rifles, probably break-action? I didn't read the details, but they were starting to look interesting. Then, I saw two versions of a 10/22 stock and accessory pack that makes the 10/22 look like an AR-15. One even had a bayonette, which was a great comedy option. And I was about to put it in the cart, but then I realized... no optics. And I don't think my tech sights would be compatible with the kit. Sadly, I put it back.

I want to have a dumb tactical 10/22, but I like my current setup with the Tech Sights. The only thing I'd maybe change is getting a decent wood stock. I guess I should think about getting another 10/22.

You're in Canada aren't you?

I've noticed that the Bass Pro shop in Niagara On The Lake lately has been pretty low stock on ammo. Or at least they don't have much on display.
The gun line up seems to have been cut in half too.

Don't know about the one in Vaughan though.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

No, I'm in Illinois, but I was shopping in Missouri. (I live in a city on the border.)

It's gotten to the point that they've repurposed most of the areas previously devoted to ammo, reloading, and lots of other stuff.

On the plus side, things that were hard to come by for a while, like cases, cleaning supplies, and other accessories? Those are now available.

On the minus side, those are the only things available.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I got out to do some camping and shooting this weekend. I setup a new case to hold my two favorite .22 guns with magazines and one of my suppressors. Took a pic and included last year's impulse buy of the 16" Rough Rider that I slapped a 22 Magnum cylinder into. It was shooting accurate at drat near 75 yards w/ 22 Magnum rounds without using a sandbag to steady it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Pitre posted:

I got out to do some camping and shooting this weekend. I setup a new case to hold my two favorite .22 guns with magazines and one of my suppressors. Took a pic and included last year's impulse buy of the 16" Rough Rider that I slapped a 22 Magnum cylinder into. It was shooting accurate at drat near 75 yards w/ 22 Magnum rounds without using a sandbag to steady it.

I paid $135 for my Rough Rider 6.5" and I find myself shooting it more than my 10/22 or 22/45. There's just something so therapeutic about shooting single actions. It's also surprisingly accurate to 40-50 yards.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Pitre posted:

Thread the rough rider, it's not long enough yet.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I have about $800 into my modified 22/45 Lite including the gun itself. If theyíre really selling MKIII online for $800 thatís nutso prices.

And going back a few pages to revolver chat, I recently picked this up at the local gun show. Interarms Virginian with the color case-hardened frame. It came with the original box as well as both standard and magnum cylinders. The magnum cylinder had never been fired and Iím tempted to keep it that way. If I can find another cylinder Iíll buy it.

It had an occasional failure to ignite the primers, which I determined was due to a worn firing pin that was 0.5mm undersized. Luckily the Virginian is a rebadged Uberti Stallion and mechanical parts are still available. $4 for a firing pin and $4 for the firing pin spring and itís as good as new.

The only other revolvers I have in any caliber are a couple of Ruger Wranglers and while I love them, this feels like a bit higher quality gun, more like a Single Six.

Have a bunch of .22 rifles as well, but Iím really looking for a Marlin 1894M if anyone runs across one.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 24, 2021

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

Christmas gift from my dad:

I made a choice to take it on a rabbit cull without a backup rifle so I'd have to use to and get practice with the irons (which I am not good with) and it works wonderfully. I know taurus can be hit or miss but this one is solid.

This weekend I got the chance to play with it on steel at range, and it's more reliable at hitting a 200 yd ipsc than the hit indicator was at detecting a 22lr impact at that range. So now I have a scope mount coming for it and we'll see how it works out with the random pistol scope in my closet

It came with a Magnum cylinder too but I haven't found a single box of that poo poo in the wild during calendar 2021, so maybe in a few months I'll get to try it out!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Neat!

When I was looking for my first 22 revolver and the Wrangler was new and out-of-stock everywhere, I almost grabbed one of those used from a local gun shop. It only had a 4" barrel, though.

If it runs, it runs.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Javid posted:

It came with a Magnum cylinder too but I haven't found a single box of that poo poo in the wild during calendar 2021, so maybe in a few months I'll get to try it out!

I was floored this past weekend when I saw thousands of rounds of wmr at the local gun show for high-but-not-completely-insane prices. I bought 250 rounds, if only Iíd had more cash after buying another .22 mag rifle...

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I was floored this past weekend when I saw thousands of rounds of wmr at the local gun show for high-but-not-completely-insane prices. I bought 250 rounds, if only I’d had more cash after buying another .22 mag rifle...

My LGS had several dozen bricks of .22LR at 10 cpr but it was Thunderbolt which would effectively make it price comparable with the stable 17-18 cpr I'm seeing on ammoseek when you account for duds, jams, etc.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Javid posted:

Christmas gift from my dad:

I made a choice to take it on a rabbit cull without a backup rifle so I'd have to use to and get practice with the irons (which I am not good with) and it works wonderfully. I know taurus can be hit or miss but this one is solid.

This weekend I got the chance to play with it on steel at range, and it's more reliable at hitting a 200 yd ipsc than the hit indicator was at detecting a 22lr impact at that range. So now I have a scope mount coming for it and we'll see how it works out with the random pistol scope in my closet

Nice. I know Taurus semi autos are poo poo but they can make a decent wheelgun yeah?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011
Chelsea Manning is a goddamned HERO

Gorson posted:

Nice. I know Taurus semi autos are poo poo but they can make a decent wheelgun yeah?

My .357mag Rossi 971 would disagree.

It came with Taurus hammer lock keys, because it's a rebranded Taurus. The trade in is $75. I'm keeping it until I blow it up, or just running .38spl only after my .357mag ammo runs out.

But it's hard to gently caress up a rimfire revolver and that looks boss as gently caress.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 15, 2021

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Gorson posted:

I bought the model 66 and at the range one day after firing a round the cylinder lock just stopped working. After arranging for shipping to their albeit free repair service, wherein they tried to avoid telling the carrier that the package contained a firearm until Fedex complained and forced them to require signature service, they sent the revolver back with a cylinder in a completely different finish because "they didn't have any spare black cylinders so they used a regular matte stainless" or some such. Ended up selling that and just got a SW.

That was a .357 though and not a .22 so I can see that being neat and less error prone.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, the cylinder lock in my Rossi does not inspire confidence. It's fine and within measurement, but at the high end. I should probably look into why they discontinued the 971 in the states a few years ago, and why it seems doomed to become a pawn shop paperweight.

When my rear sight hosed off, I opted just to let the local shop handle it than dick with shipping.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

A family member has a Rossi in .357 magnum that I always assumed was decent until I went to clean it after a range trip.
Somehow the threaded rod that runs through the cylinder and into the extractor had managed to back itself out exactly enough that it didn't prevent the cylinder from seating far enough to engage the locking mechanism but did prevent me from being able swing the cylinder back out afterward.
Thankfully this happened at home with an empty cylinder and not at the range with a full one, but it took me several minutes of fiddling to get it open again and that'd be a nightmare scenario if you needed to reload in an emergency.
...so that's why I've got a Ruger GP100 and am looking for one in .22LR, too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Ooof. I'll go check in a bit.

Aside from the sight and cylinder slop that's technically within spec, it's been fine. Just a cheap revolver. Next time around I'll look at used Smiths.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

Gorson posted:

This is the second Rossi/Taurus wheelgun my dad has given me and both have been extremely solid.

When I mentioned I couldn't find any WMR last night, he gave me 200 rounds from his hoard

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

So I bought that fancy BSA International Mk2 during the pandemic and couldn't shoot it. There was a request that I talk about how it runs various ammo, and my vaccine waiting period just ended so here we are:

This is all standing, entirely unsupported at 30 feet, first time shooting this thing. Range didn't have chairs or rests, so this isn't a great comparison of ammo so much as it is a testament of my left arm turning to jelly over the course of half a hour.

10 rounds each diamond (excepting #5 has 12, needed to use up a box). All on paper, which is something. Squares are 1".

1. (center diamond) CCI Standard Velocity. 1.5" center to center, 1 flier.

2. (upper left) RWS Target Rifle. 1.5" center to center, 2 fliers.

3. (upper right) Wolf Match Target. ~2" center to center, no fliers.

4. (lower left) Aguila Super Extra. 1.5" center to center, 1 flier.

5. (lower right) Federal copper-plated hollow point high velocity. 2.25" center to center, no fliers.

Can definitely see some fading as my arms got tired. Even taking that into account, the RWS was the most on-point by a decent bit.
Wolf was a little tetchy about actually chambering, had to shove it a little. Thought it was chamber fouling but Aguila & Federal chambered without issue. Wolf's got that waxy head, might be it.

I'll get a better test of this later on, just wanted to post first findings.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Update on that guy who bought some really fancy .22s despite being a mediocre-at-best shot: hey, what's up. Took a mental health day and visited the outdoor range for the first time in like two years, so actually got some distance shooting in, and ahahah okay here we go.

My phone makes for a very poor camera, but thankfully you aren't missing anything.
Here's the BSA, rested, shot at 100 yards. I should point out that I wasn't able to see the red circles through the peephole at that distance (just barely could normally, but aiming through the peeps lost them entirely. So, I was aiming for where I guessed the top circle was.
First target is CCI Standard Velocity, 20 rounds.

Red circle is 2" across, and assuming I was aiming correctly, drop is ~15 inches. Wind coming across left to right probably accounts for the drift that direction.

Supposedly these rifles could do 1.25" groups at 100 yards, but that's mechanical accuracy, eliminating the main failure point: the dingus pulling the trigger.

Second target is RWS Target Rifle, 20 rounds, same conditions.

Again, apologies for the potato photo but you aren't missing much. Drop is again 15 inches, and looks like it grouped a little better than the CCI.

I was getting frustrated trying to shoot at a target I couldn't see, and decided that's a good time to pack up.

And break out the Anshutz Exemplar.

Now, this range doesn't let anyone shoot pistols past 25 yards unless they have a scope on them, and that's definitely the reason I shot this at 20 yards. If it weren't for The Man holding me back, I'd have been chewing the centers out of these targets at 50 yards, yup, definitely.

Yeah, that sure was noise coming out of my face. Here's the rundown:
Target 1: Rested, 20 yards.

Upper: CCI Standard, 15 rounds (getting my hand in, first time shooting this thing).
Middle: Aguila Super Extra, 10 rounds.
Bottom: Wolf Target Match, 10 rounds.

Target 2: still 20 yards.

Upper: rested, RWS Target Rifle, 10 rounds.
Middle: Standing, unsupported, Aguila Super Extra, 9 rounds (thought I had a misfeed, was wrong but clearing caused the round to go thataway.
Bottom: Standing, unsupported, CCI Standard, 7 rounds (RO called the round early).

The Annie is a hoot. Shot resting, it jumps up the tiniest bit when fired and then the weight slams it back down. I should find a little bipod for it.
Biggest complaint is that there isn't a great way to hold the thing when firing unsupported. It's too heavy to hold with a double-handed pistol grip & keep steady, so I ended with a rifle hold, which is odd with no buttstock to shoulder.

The left-handed bolt is a gimmick that may pay off in 20,000 rounds. The idea is that you can keep your firing hand in place and work the bolt with your support hand, but the action is stiff enough that that you have to break your sight picture anyway just to work the thing. If it ever becomes as smooth as my '60s Mossberg, then maybe I could slap it open & shut and stay on target.

Just think, I almost spent today at work.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Local shop had a Chiappa Lil Badger for $500. I mean, it came with ~1000 rounds and some minor accessories but... has the meme 22 actually gone up in value?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

MSRP of the lil badger is $230 according to Google. Accessories aside that means they want $270 for 1k of .22, putting it at 27cpr

Hell no.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

That's nuts! The Little Badger is generally $175-200 here in Canada, and will sometimes go on sale for $150. I got a deluxe version, with a wooden stock and foregrip for $197 shipped about a year ago.

It's a great little gun tho. I have a friend I take shooting sometimes and when I first talked to him about how I liked shooting 22s he was dismissive of them, saying that they were boring and had no recoil or power. And now the Little Badger is his favorite.

Griz
May 21, 2001

TheNothingNew posted:

I should point out that I wasn't able to see the red circles through the peephole at that distance (just barely could normally, but aiming through the peeps lost them entirely. So, I was aiming for where I guessed the top circle was.

Red circle is 2" across, and assuming I was aiming correctly, drop is ~15 inches. Wind coming across left to right probably accounts for the drift that direction.

if you're zeroed at 50y you should be getting like 7.5 inch drop at 100y with standard velocity and an inch or two above that with high velocity: https://mcarbo.americommerce.com/22LR-Ballistics-for-your-Rifle.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Peeps at 100 yards chat:

You've likely already figured this out, but you're going to need a big drat target to use peeps at 100 yards.

I use one with a black center that's probably 8-10 inches diameter. The idea is to get a combo of target and front insert that just leaves a small halo of white between the target center and the edge of the peep. Too much white and your brain won't do that cool "automatically centering" trick. From there, you'll start landing your shots inside the x ring, even though what you're seeing is a dinner plate.