Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Thank you both. I have no idea what this is actually zeroed for, but shooting it at 50 yards seems much more reasonable/actually fun.
Should maybe get a spotting scope at some point, be nice to see if I'm on paper without having to wait for the break & run out to the target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

Anybody ITT have a T/C classic .22, and would you be willing to take measurements of a mag for me? I wanna try 3d printing one.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Waiting for his chance

This is probably no surprise to anyone but Volquartsen customer service is solid. I am a soup sandwich where mechanisms are concerned, and I managed to completely install the a trigger kit in my mk4 without noticing that I'd left the tail of my sear spring dangling in the mag well. That caused some feed issues. I emailed them saying I wasn't sure the spring could be saved and asking whether a normal sear spring would work, and they shipped me a free replacement instead.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

What's the consensus best ar-15 22lr conversion kit? I know they go on sale from time to time and I'm looking for the best deal I can get for my new ar pistol.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Crunkjuice posted:

What's the consensus best ar-15 22lr conversion kit? I know they go on sale from time to time and I'm looking for the best deal I can get for my new ar pistol.

CMMG
A dedicated 22lr barrel is going to be better than the adapter in a 5.56 barrel but it still works ok, just dont expect extreme accuracy.

ZebraBlade fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 30, 2021

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

ZebraBlade posted:

CMMG
A dedicated 22lr barrel is going to be better than the adapter in a 5.56 barrel but it still works ok, just dont expect extreme accuracy.

Eliot Rosewater
Apr 16, 2008

Are those M1 carbine stocks for 10/22s decent? And do they make M1A1 stocks? Thinking of buying something dumb

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Eliot Rosewater posted:

Are those M1 carbine stocks for 10/22s decent? And do they make M1A1 stocks? Thinking of buying something dumb

Yeah! My friend has one. I think there are two, the one for around $140 that is plug and play and a cheaper one that people says needs to be modified to fit. He didn't like the finish on it so he stripped it down and stained it with linseed oil. Feels great, just like a M1 carbine. You can even get a dummy magazine. Nodak makes a combination peep sight/pic rail that is perfect for it.

There was a company making Garand conversions for them but since the 10/22 doesn't look like a Garand it used a bunch of faux bits to complete the look. I think the company went out of business but I've seen a few floating around.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I do love me some .22 wheel guns

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

I've had a summit toggle action in my closet for a while with only a vague plan. Finally took the next step and have a krg bravo coming for it. Next I need to find a barrel. Have been looking at summit precision carbon fibers but the new faxon rainbow barrels are tempting too. Have an "extra" scope sitting around from another project so the timing is good.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I do love me some .22 wheel guns

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Which grips are those? The figuring and finish is lovely.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Which grips are those? The figuring and finish is lovely.

LS Grips, which I found on recommendation from The Rat -

https://www.lsgrips.com

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

First off... there might be some Aguila Super Extra 500 packs of 22LR at Midway for 12˘ per round. This qualifies as a good price these days.

But mainly... my search for a 1911-style pistol in 22LR is hitting a series of roadblocks. Most of what comes out isn't an option because of the melting point law. Also, our favorite range officer (an guy we genuinely like and who hasn't given us any bad advice thusfar) said that a lot of these guns have, at best, iffy reliability. So while I'm keeping my eye open for one for my wife, I was wondering, what 1911-ish-looking-kinda pistols are out there?

I did see a Mark IV 22/45 with wood side panels, and just that one change made it look a lot more like a 1911. Someone needs to make a 22/45 upper with slab sides machined into a more traditional 1911 shape. Anything else out there anyone knows about that maybe isn't a 1911 in terms of mechanics, but at least kinda looks the part?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Any .22lr that has to pretend to be something else is always going to be a bit more iffy than the purpose built .22lr's. Especially the 1911 which has to move a huge slide to replicate it, the slide has to be made of lightweight alloys to even have a chance to slide back and not made of steel or aluminum.

Is the Browning 1911-22 available in your State? It side steps the problem on the lightweight slide by being sized down to 85% which lets it use an aluminum slide. Not sure how good it is but it is another data point.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Chillyrabbit posted:

Any .22lr that has to pretend to be something else is always going to be a bit more iffy than the purpose built .22lr's. Especially the 1911 which has to move a huge slide to replicate it, the slide has to be made of lightweight alloys to even have a chance to slide back and not made of steel or aluminum.

Is the Browning 1911-22 available in your State? It side steps the problem on the lightweight slide by being sized down to 85% which lets it use an aluminum slide. Not sure how good it is but it is another data point.

That is the one that Range Dude said we should check out. I was just on Gun Broker, and... wowza. One in particular had a starting bidding price of one point one kilodollars, which is a bit much for what want to spend.

It's not like we have a dire need for one of these. Just trying to get some... data points? That's actually a good way of putting it. The cheapo ones are out of the question, but the Browning might be OK here. Aluminum alloy is usually OK; it's the zinc stuff we have to watch out for.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

tarlibone posted:

Aguila Super Extra. . . for 12˘ per round.
Man, I am sitting on multiple years' of 22lr ammo, from thunderbolt to center-x, and poo poo like this is still making me not want to go to the range.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

stealie72 posted:

Man, I am sitting on multiple years' of 22lr ammo, from thunderbolt to center-x, and poo poo like this is still making me not want to go to the range.

It's also limit one box of 500, and shipping was $13, which put it closer to 15cpr. I bought one box anyway, because I can, but yeah.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

armorer posted:

It's also limit one box of 500, and shipping was $13, which put it closer to 15cpr. I bought one box anyway, because I can, but yeah.

That's the thing. On AmmoSeek, most 22LR starts above $0.16/round, before shipping and tax. The CCI website has better prices if you can catch drug in stock, but they won't ship to me.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

tarlibone posted:

First off... there might be some Aguila Super Extra 500 packs of 22LR at Midway for 12˘ per round. This qualifies as a good price these days.

But mainly... my search for a 1911-style pistol in 22LR is hitting a series of roadblocks. Most of what comes out isn't an option because of the melting point law. Also, our favorite range officer (an guy we genuinely like and who hasn't given us any bad advice thusfar) said that a lot of these guns have, at best, iffy reliability. So while I'm keeping my eye open for one for my wife, I was wondering, what 1911-ish-looking-kinda pistols are out there?

I did see a Mark IV 22/45 with wood side panels, and just that one change made it look a lot more like a 1911. Someone needs to make a 22/45 upper with slab sides machined into a more traditional 1911 shape. Anything else out there anyone knows about that maybe isn't a 1911 in terms of mechanics, but at least kinda looks the part?

I hesitantly mention the Chiappa 1911-22, only because I have one and when it works, it works. They apparently have a tendency to send barrel bushings down range after 3k or so rounds, and I bought mine used so of course my barrel bushing broke in half last weekend.

Chiappa are allegedly sending me another couple of them along with another pair of recoil spring plungers, all for $6 or so which is nice.

It’s not as nice as pretty much any of the other guns we have and the magazines are honestly fairly cheap, but the gun was like $180 out the door so I’m not complaining an excessive amount.

When I bought this, the LGS sold me a brick for $0.08cpr which was also nice. I already had a bunch but we shoot so much .22...

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 3, 2021

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

I hesitantly mention the Chiappa 1911-22, only because I have one and when it works, it works. They apparently have a tendency to send barrel bushings down range after 3k or so rounds, and I bought mine used so of course my barrel bushing broke in half last weekend.

Chiappa are allegedly sending me another couple of them along with another pair of recoil spring plungers, all for $6 or so which is nice.

It’s not as nice as pretty much any of the other guns we have and the magazines are honestly fairly cheap, but the gun was like $180 out the door so I’m not complaining an excessive amount.

When I bought this, the LGS sold me a brick for $0.08cpr which was also nice. I already had a bunch but we shoot so much .22...

I bought one new and it took way less than 3000 rounds to just shear the zinc bushing off. They did send me a new one with no hassle though!

I wouldn't recommend it over just putting the $200 towards a better pistol, in hindsight.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Do you have Colt Ace money? Because my dad has one and it's gorgeous.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Any of y'all got a line on these mounts? I wanna put a dot on my Mk IV already

https://lobos-industries.com/products/low-profile-red-dot-mount-ruger-mark-series-rmr-footprint

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Dang, those look pretty nice.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Capn Beeb posted:

https://lobos-industries.com/products/low-profile-red-dot-mount-ruger-mark-series-rmr-footprint

Ooooooh you're making me want to tart up my Turnbull before it has even been to a range once.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

I have the Vortex version. I know a few other folks here have them.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Do you have Colt Ace money? Because my dad has one and it's gorgeous.

The prices on those are insane. Is that the one that is designed to give enhanced recoil? What's it like to shoot?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

I got two UPS shipping notifications from Midway and was really confused for a minute because I only ordered the one 500 pack of 22lr. Then I remembered that I ordered some card sleeves from the other, totally unrelated, Midway.

When board games and guns combine!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Gorson posted:

The prices on those are insane. Is that the one that is designed to give enhanced recoil? What's it like to shoot?

From what I can tell the design for increased recoil was so that the 1911 design would cycle on .22, so it's probably not that perceptible. I haven't shot his for years and don't recall anything particularly noticeable about it. Perhaps I should borrow it next time I go out and compare it to my raced out buckmark or something!

As to the price, good lord you are right - I was imagining whatever range he bought it for ten years ago lol.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Wonder if the "enhanced recoil" thing is not in the sense of increased perceived recoil by the user, but more in the sense of increasing recoil so that the action works more reliably.

Like the MG34, it has a little steel cup at the muzzle which helped capture some gases and increase recoil of the barrel assembly in the process. (The gun being recoil-operated)

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

My soup has malfunctioned?

The Eyes Have It posted:

Wonder if the "enhanced recoil" thing is not in the sense of increased perceived recoil by the user, but more in the sense of increasing recoil so that the action works more reliably.

This is pretty much it. It does reportedly recoil more perceptibly, but this is so you can use a full weight 1911 slide and have something closer to a centerfire 1911 for training.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Walmart came through today. I wasn’t even looking, but my kid spotted some goodness on the shelf.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Walmart came through today. I wasn’t even looking, but my kid spotted some goodness on the shelf.

A Very Good Childling.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

I just checked my local Walmart and there is not a single bullet or shell of any type in the entire place. Just completely bare shelves with signs saying there's a limit of 3 boxes per customer.

Griz
May 21, 2001

I thought my walmart stopped selling ammo because the entire case has been empty for months, but last time I went they had two boxes of 12ga.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

If anyone's been looking for a 10/22, Sportsman's Warehouse currently has 5 models from $230 to $450.

Not really what I'd call deals, but they're in stock.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...d%3ARuger&text=

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

my kinda ape posted:

I just checked my local Walmart and there is not a single bullet or shell of any type in the entire place. Just completely bare shelves with signs saying there's a limit of 3 boxes per customer.

Mine had been that way for a little while. I was just walking by because I wasn’t expecting there to be anything, and my son wandered over to look out of habit. They had 12ga, .22 and .270win

Sure beats the closest gun shop to me trying to get $80 for a brick. The 325 packs were like $17.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 6, 2021

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Quote is not edit. First time for everything...

John DiFool
Aug 27, 2013

Capn Beeb posted:

The mounts are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I should be getting my first 22 revolver next week

(Actually, it's my first revolver of anything, ever. I don't know, I just never got around to revolvers.)

I also saw the CP33 which I have to admit I kind of want, but this being Canada the mags are hilariously 10 round only instead of 33 (because it's a pistol, it's capped at 10 no mater that it's rimfire. Not that rimfire rifles are out of the woods either, there's exceptions there, too.)

Anyway, new gun day next week.