Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

The Eyes Have It posted:

(Actually, it's my first revolver of anything, ever. I don't know, I just never got around to revolvers.)
Welcome to the club. Revolvers are the best expression of "gun."

What are you getting?

Edit: "revolvers: best gun" is a worthy snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

stealie72 posted:

Man, I am sitting on multiple years' of 22lr ammo, from thunderbolt to center-x, and poo poo like this is still making me not want to go to the range.

In these trying times, chicken is the thinking man's squirrel.

I finally have "enough" (assuming my new TCR doesn't hate my Eley or SK) and I'm finally vaccinated, but of course I can't seem to find any time to go shoot. Fully half of my nascent gun collection has yet to be fired

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I've got a decent amount of 22, and I want to go rifle shooting, but every weekend is rainy. I don't really feel like shooting my 22 rifles at the pistol range when I have them zeroed at 50 or 100 yards.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

I snagged a Vortex Viper PSTII 5-25X refurbished off of AAOptics, it's destined for my AR in 5.56 in the short term, long term my 308 AR whenever I finish getting parts for that.

I bough a 20moa mount for it though, because in the short-short term I want to put it on my TC/R22, and try and stretch it to 300 yards

The scope that's currently on it (Leupold Freedom Rimfire 3-9X) currently doesn't have enough clicks of elevation to zero it at 200 yards, and by my math without the angled mount and shooting CCI SV, the Vortex would fall juuust short (less than 1moa) of running out of clicks at 300 yards.

It's going to look so silly. Mocked up, the Vortex scope and the sunshade it came with stick out past where the forearm ends on the stock. I'm positively giddy.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

stealie72 posted:

Welcome to the club. Revolvers are the best expression of "gun."

What are you getting?

Edit: "revolvers: best gun" is a worthy snipe.

I bought a Heritage Rough Rider on sale, including the 22WMR cylinder. But I'm mainly looking forward to dumping CB shorts out of it

Maybe 3D print myself some custom grips if I think of something stupid enough.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

John DiFool posted:

The mounts are great.

Yeah, I'm just trying to find one in stock for a Holosun. I tried out the 507c that sits on my P-10C and it's nice, but it sits a bit high for my liking with the factory Mk IV Tactical rail

John DiFool
Aug 27, 2013

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah, I'm just trying to find one in stock for a Holosun. I tried out the 507c that sits on my P-10C and it's nice, but it sits a bit high for my liking with the factory Mk IV Tactical rail

Oh you want one. Last time I emailed the manufacturer and they let me know when it was going to be back in stock.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Capn Beeb posted:

https://lobos-industries.com/products/low-profile-red-dot-mount-ruger-mark-series-rmr-footprint

They came back in stock a couple days ago

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Bless you this night, the eve of the stimmy hitting my bank account

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Im slightly annoyed because I had a bonus and blew it on other things after seeing the mount was OOS a few days ago

Ah well, got a booster and threaded barrel for my 9mm can to have a new host

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Those do look neat, but it appears they are compatible only with $300 red dots, and while I love my 22/45, I don't $300-red-dot-love shooting it. Not yet, anyway.

For that kind of money, I could get one of those snazzy blue uppers I saw.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

It's so annoying that the upper is the part that needs a transfer

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

It's so annoying that the upper is the part that needs a transfer

... especially since it's so easy to remove and swap out. I'd love to have one for every day of the week. I wonder if more people make them than just Tactical Solutions?

It'd be neat to find a slab-sided upper. Hell, someone could make one that looks really 1911-ish... because that could satisfy, like, two of my gun goals.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

tarlibone posted:

... especially since it's so easy to remove and swap out. I'd love to have one for every day of the week. I wonder if more people make them than just Tactical Solutions?

It'd be neat to find a slab-sided upper. Hell, someone could make one that looks really 1911-ish... because that could satisfy, like, two of my gun goals.

Monkey paw curls...

You get slab side, but triangular, and in no way looks like a 1911.

e: debating with myself if this belongs here or in another thread.

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 7, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Wifi Toilet posted:

e: debating with myself if this belongs here or in another thread.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Speaking of tactilol .22's I made a silly thing:

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Gorson posted:

Let us know how you like shooting it. I've been kind of wanting a space gun bullpup of some sort and a 10/22 seems like a way less expensive way to scratch that itch than a .308.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Seconding that.

I'm looking at picking up a cheap bull barrel 10/22 just for that chassis.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Gorson posted:

Well that looks like fun on a bun! I have a Magpul Hunter X-22 Stock on one my 10/22s that I'm getting kind of bored with. Unfortunately, I have a Volquartsen UltraLite barrel on it and it's 16.5" so I would be in SBR territory I don't see how it would be possible to do, but that would be hella fun with a binary trigger also!

I'll probably just fancy this 10/22 up with a nice Boyd's stock instead unfortunately. I reckon that doesn't mean that I can't own three 10/22s down the road if I stumble across a decent deal.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Gorson posted:

Take it to an Appleseed.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Just put it together this week, it's the High Tower Armory 90/22. I have another 10/22 set up for long range and wanted something short. One of the local department stores regularly gets the stripper model 10/22's with no sights and a cheap plastic stock for $229 so I jumped on it.

This is my first bullpup. HTA makes a nice kit, assembly takes an hour or two if you take your time. Everything slaps together nicely and the plastic has a real nice feel to it. Overall the gun feels heavy and compact, like corned beef. In a good way. The trigger isn't great but I knew that going in. The stock 10/22 trigger pull was 4.2 pounds and with the linkage of the 90/22 it was off my scale around 8 lbs. So I took the whole thing apart and added a Volq hammer kit and polished the seer which brought the overall pull of the bullpup to 6ish. Way way better than the stock trigger. There's some creep which could be taken up by modifications. The fake plastic suppressor and ammo storage are pretty lol but fun that they include them.

Plans are to camo paint it and add a flashlight and laser to the side rails. Is there a specific sling that is designed to work with this gun? It has the two horizontal slots.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Surgery was successful on the 22/45, now it's the very rare 22/45 Lite Tactical

Also tap magic smells like cinnamon

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Surgery was successful on the 22/45, now it's the very rare 22/45 Lite Tactical

Also tap magic smells like cinnamon

Oooooh you're making me want to jump through the NFA hoops I've been putting off for a decade. A can on my Turnbull, with its bull barrel, would be loving glorious.

It's a shame you cannot fill out the paperwork once and buy two. I'd want both a 9mm and 22 caliber suppressor.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Love it. Not a great trigger but good enough. I have a 4x8 silhouette at 125 yards and I can hit it more easily firing offhand than I could with the normal stock. From the table they're about equal. 10 round mags work but are a little fiddly to get in there, recommend 15 or 25 rounders. The extended mag release works brilliantly!

I would pay a more for a "pro" version with CNC aluminum bits to replace the trigger and a few other pieces.

John DiFool
Aug 27, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Oooooh you're making me want to jump through the NFA hoops I've been putting off for a decade. A can on my Turnbull, with its bull barrel, would be loving glorious.

It's a shame you cannot fill out the paperwork once and buy two. I'd want both a 9mm and 22 caliber suppressor.

Idk about other retailers but once youíre setup with silencershop, itís literally buy your silencer + stamp and then wait until your FFL contacts you to pick up. No filling out a bunch of paperwork each time.

The best time to buy is now, your future self will thank you in 4-6 months.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Captain Log posted:

You can shoot 22 through a 9mm can just fine and it works but it's obviously much larger than it needs to be. ~8 months is the normal wait for a paper form 4.

You could find a local place that has a fingerprint kiosk for Silencer Shop, order a nice retail .22 can and form 4 it. Order duplicate prints from Silencer Shop, then use those to file an e-form 1 and make your own 9mm can from QB or someone and have the 9mm can in 30 days or so.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Gorson posted:

Love it. Not a great trigger but good enough. I have a 4x8 silhouette at 125 yards and I can hit it more easily firing offhand than I could with the normal stock. From the table they're about equal. 10 round mags work but are a little fiddly to get in there, recommend 15 or 25 rounders. The extended mag release works brilliantly!

I would pay a more for a "pro" version with CNC aluminum bits to replace the trigger and a few other pieces.

I love this.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

John DiFool posted:

Idk about other retailers but once youíre setup with silencershop, itís literally buy your silencer + stamp and then wait until your FFL contacts you to pick up. No filling out a bunch of paperwork each time.

The best time to buy is now, your future self will thank you in 4-6 months.

Silencer Shop has kiosks?

Uh oh. My wallet just winced.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Captain Log posted:

Silencer Shop has kiosks?

Uh oh. My wallet just winced.

Yeah that's how they do your fingerprints. Instead of inking your hands and doing a paper card you just put your prints in the computer with the built in scanner thing. In my experience the scanner was kind of fiddly but I think it expects you do do a certain technique which the guy at the shop either didn't know or didn't bother to explain to me.

Honestly other than doing the fingerprint cards (which isn't really hard either) doing NFA paperwork is really not difficult at all. I've done four form 1s and if I have all the info I need available I think I could knock one out in <10 minutes without rushing at all.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

My first priority is range time after being forced into this ridiculous lay off. But with ammo prices being what they are, I don't I could get too many rounds downrange before I was out hundreds of dollars.

Next is a Ruger PCC, but a suppressor might have to go on my list of Gun Things to Own. I'm very averse to paperwork, but that's just on principle. I just don't like giving the government poo poo about my gun ownership.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

my kinda ape posted:

In my experience the scanner was kind of fiddly but I think it expects you do do a certain technique which the guy at the shop either didn't know or didn't bother to explain to me.

You really need to press hard and roll it. My buddy helped at their shop and it definitely is finicky. The good news is you only have to do it the first time and then it's saved.

Rationale
May 17, 2005
I am absolutely worthless

Do I want a cz 457 mtr? If so, what scope should I put on it?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Rationale posted:

Do I want a cz 457 mtr? If so, what scope should I put on it?

I need to get Visio for my home computer, because sometimes, even though I'm a newbie, I still feel like I could do a process flow for questions like this.

Suffice it to say, if it's a 22, the answer is usually YES.

I want a Zip gun. A Zip gun. Because lots of reasons, but tangentially, it's a 22 LR.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

So long as it's not a Zip22!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Chiappa 1911-22 had a nice failure a couple of weeks ago. Not totally unexpected from this gun but here we are. Ordered duplicates of the broken/missing parts and they showed up today.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

Ahh, Chiappalloy™

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Javid posted:

Ahh, Chiappalloy™

Parts shearing off in the face of .22LR forces has me a lot less interested in their Rhino line. Sheesh.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The new bushing is so light that it feels like plastic in my hand. Not super confidence-inspiring but hell, it was an inexpensive cheap gun with cheap replacement parts. I ordered two bushings and two spring plungers for a total of $11 shipped so I canít complain other than Chiappa taking 11 days to ship out.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

Chiappa has immediately sent me free parts every time anything on mine has broken, including that specific bushing.

Another one to watch out for is (as of mine from 2012 but they don't sound any better now) the little steel insert in the hammer that actually hits the firing pin. It'll pop out and vanish because it's the size of a bird seed, and it's not immediately visible so you'll just think you got a dud round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Stock came in and I love the gray. Barrel shipped today so it's almost complete.