Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I saw some 22 Long on sale somewhere at a terrible price, like $40 for 100, and I didn't buy it. Now it's gone, according to AmmoSeek.

Poor 22 Long. Literally the middle child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Reminds me of reading about the now obsolete 22 CB cartridge.

quote:

Designed to be a cross between the .22 BB and .22 Short, and first catalogued in around 1888 (though probably first made before that), it "managed to combine about all the disadvantages...[of both] into one generally useless cartridge"

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Is the .22cb the one that was basically a shell with projectile and primer but no actual powder?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

22 BB and 22 CB were both primer-only.

The difference is 22 CB had a pointy bullet which gave it more penetration. It was still too weak to be useful for anything other than punching paper, but now it couldn't just be stopped by a heavy blanket behind the target.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Is the .22cb the one that was basically a shell with projectile and primer but no actual powder?

.22BB and .22CB (6mm Flobert in the EU) are both like this. CBs have a heavier, conical bullet. CB is also available in various cartridge lengths to feed in older .22s that can't withstand modern pressures, but choke on short cartridge lengths. Keep in mind these cartridges were designed to be fired indoors at pellet gun traps/backstops. They can also be used to take garden pests at very close range. You'll find some very odd guns just for pest control. Rare in the US, but I've seen German made smooth-bore .22 lever actions. You know, so Dad can live out his Old West fantasies while obliterating slugs in the garden.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

madeintaipei posted:

.22BB and .22CB (6mm Flobert in the EU) are both like this. CBs have a heavier, conical bullet. CB is also available in various cartridge lengths to feed in older .22s that can't withstand modern pressures, but choke on short cartridge lengths. Keep in mind these cartridges were designed to be fired indoors at pellet gun traps/backstops. They can also be used to take garden pests at very close range. You'll find some very odd guns just for pest control. Rare in the US, but I've seen German made smooth-bore .22 lever actions. You know, so Dad can live out his Old West fantasies while obliterating slugs in the garden.

Henry still makes a smooth-bore lever-action in .22LR.

I remember years ago reading a bolt-action, smooth-bore .22LR specifically intended for shooting rats in barns. I always wondered how much of a difference it'd make in the produced pattern compared to a comparable length rifled barrel.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

poeticoddity posted:

Henry still makes a smooth-bore lever-action in .22LR.

I remember years ago reading a bolt-action, smooth-bore .22LR specifically intended for shooting rats in barns. I always wondered how much of a difference it'd make in the produced pattern compared to a comparable length rifled barrel.

I have a Marlin 25MG which is a smoothbore 22 Magnum. I'll have to do some comparison patterning for fun sometime soon but supposedly the difference is quite large.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I got myself a Heritage Rough Rider as a vaccination celebration. Really great trigger, but it feels a bit weird for my pinkie to literally have nothing to grip

The sights are garbo; front blade is fine but just a super shallow v notch in the frame to make up the rear sight, but ah well.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

The Eyes Have It posted:

The sights are garbo; front blade is fine but just a super shallow v notch in the frame to make up the rear sight, but ah well.
Yup, those are SAA sights.

I've actually got a S&W pre model 10 with a half-circle front and notch rear that I am shockingly accurate with, so don't discount them till you try them.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I'm looking forward to trying them, it's just easily the most 'perfunctory looking' sights I have, unless you count the bead on a shotgun

It's also my first revolver ever

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

The Eyes Have It posted:

I'm looking forward to trying them, it's just easily the most 'perfunctory looking' sights I have, unless you count the bead on a shotgun

Those are the sights that won the west.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

The Eyes Have It posted:

Bring a tiny hammer when you shoot it, you may have to drift the front sight left or right a tiny bit when you find point of impact. Heritage seems to just tack that front blade on wherever. Also, a little bit of white or other bright paint on the front blade makes it easier for me to pick up.

E: loctite all the screws

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Needs some higher rings and to pick which scope. May end up putting on the trijicon credo for some real street cred.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

The Eyes Have It posted:

I got myself a Heritage Rough Rider as a vaccination celebration. Really great trigger, but it feels a bit weird for my pinkie to literally have nothing to grip

Hook your pinky under the grip, like so

SAA style guns are great for this kind of grip

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Atticus_1354 posted:

Needs some higher rings and to pick which scope. May end up putting on the trijicon credo for some real street cred.

Nice. I've been looking at the KRG for my 10/22 but dismissed it because the LOP is so short and it looks ridiculous with the stack of spacers they sell for it.

What is that stock extension you've got on there?

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Wifi Toilet posted:

Nice. I've been looking at the KRG for my 10/22 but dismissed it because the LOP is so short and it looks ridiculous with the stack of spacers they sell for it.

What is that stock extension you've got on there?

Rimfire tool-less adjustable lop and the thicker krg buttpad. That plus spacers and stock buttpad will let me use it and then maybe someday use it for my nephews or smaller shooters. I'll probably end up building a colorful 10/22 with matching specs for a matched set.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

Atticus_1354 posted:

This looks amazing. The combo of grey poly and the carbon is perfect. It needs a PA Wolf Grey LPVO, IMHO though.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Popped out to the rifle range today. I haven't been super confident with my scope's alignment. It's my first scope on a rifle, and I was learning as I went back in January when I installed it and took it out to a freezing, windy range with a crappy bag as my bench rest. I felt like my adjustments were pretty sloppy, so this morning, I re-centered the scope as best I could, and decided to use a much better (though still cheap) rifle rest thing to actually try to dial it all in. And for once, I wasn't contending with 40 mile per hour shifting winds with occasional gusts that are way higher. I was only able to get a 50 yard lane this time, but that's cool because I'll usually be shooting at 50 yards.

Shot three, made an adjustment, shot seven.

5th and final round of ten shots:

That little flier was the first shot. I had five 10-round magazines, and after the first and second ones, I was fairly well dialed in. But, on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th magazines, my first shot was always a flier, even though I'm positive I was holding the right spot. One was high and right inside the line of the 10 ring, one was high and not quite as far from the bullseye as the previous one, and this last one was off to the left. I'm not sure what is causing this, but I know how to fix it: more shootin'. But I'm much happier with this result. This was S&K Standard ammo through the Ruger American Rimfire.

After I indexed the turrets to my 50-yard zero, it was starting to sprinkle, so before I wrapped up for the day, I grabbed my 10/22, shot 25 to see how far off the sights were (they were still set up for 100 yards), made a big adjustment, shot 25 more, made one last adjustment, and then shot this 50-shot group.

I added up the score, and it's 3.6 Roentgen. These were my last two pre-loaded 25-round mags, and it was sprinkling, and I was not taking my time. given that, I'm happy with this.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

tarlibone posted:

That little flier was the first shot. I had five 10-round magazines, and after the first and second ones, I was fairly well dialed in. But, on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th magazines, my first shot was always a flier, even though I'm positive I was holding the right spot. One was high and right inside the line of the 10 ring, one was high and not quite as far from the bullseye as the previous one, and this last one was off to the left. I'm not sure what is causing this, but I know how to fix it: more shootin'. But I'm much happier with this result. This was S&K Standard ammo through the Ruger American Rimfire.

Are you loading the magazine with the bolt closed, then racking? Or are you loading with bolt open? Video from a while back, where that guy was getting great groups with a Plinkster, he was talking about the bolt movement scores the next round as it moves, so he always loads with the bolt closed to maintain that for the first round. Maybe?

Also nice shooting, drat.
-----

Got out to the range, myself, to try and fix that "shooting at a target I can't actually see" issue.

BSA International Mk.2, 50 yards, rested. 2" red circle fit just inside the front peep whatsit. Didn't count rounds on this one.
Going left to right, top to bottom:
1. CCI Standard Velocity 2. Aguila SuperExtra
3. Wolf Match Target 4. RWS Target Rifle
5. Eley Club 6. Eley Contact
Had some issues with the RWS, rifle refused to extract it properly. Overly lubed cases or something? Not sure.
Very impressed with the Eley Contact.

Does a .22 Hornet count for this thread? Whatever. 50 yards, CZ 527, rested with scope. Squares are 1". 25 rounds, last 5 are the ones bundled around the crosshair after I dialed the scope up 5 clicks. Think it needs 1 more? Very happy. After the 14-lb. BSA, this feels like a toy gun, ridiculous. Need more ammo, almost out of this PPU stuff. Not willing to spend $50/box like the brick& mortar wanted, though.

Anschutz Exemplar 14", rested, 11 yards, 5 rounds. Open sights. Same ammo setup as the BSA above. Eley Contact really bringing it home. No issues with RWS extraction here.

And for giggles, Anschutz at 25 yards, rested, unknown number of rounds, CCI standard. Could probably do better than this if I hadn't been getting tired. Exemplar still has the issue that there isn't a great way to hold the thing; resting it seems the way so I should find a bipod for it.

I put these up because there was an interest in accuracy from my box thread, but the limiting factor here is clearly my own skill rather than mechanical. I'll stop unless there's some massive revelation, like I find out that Federal is stupidly accurate in one of these or something.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I am pretty sure I'm loading with the bolt open. Next time I go out, I'll try to remember to load with the bolt closed.

And nice shootin', yourself.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Capn Beeb posted:

Hook your pinky under the grip, like so

SAA style guns are great for this kind of grip

That's all new to me. I'll give it a try, thanks!

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

The Eyes Have It posted:

That's all new to me. I'll give it a try, thanks!

Got the Holosun today for the Lobos mount, this combo is neat

Might throw some wood grips on (comedy Jazz Pattern option is on the table of course), then a stronger firing pin and extractor claw from Volquartsen. I've broken .22 firing pins before and that's always a bummer.

Edit:

What if I got some jazz pattern grips

Capn Beeb fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 17, 2021

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Capn Beeb posted:

Got the Holosun today for the Lobos mount, this combo is neat

Might throw some wood grips on (comedy Jazz Pattern option is on the table of course), then a stronger firing pin and extractor claw from Volquartsen. I've broken .22 firing pins before and that's always a bummer.

Edit:

What if I got some jazz pattern grips

Normally, I'd say "You should definitely get some Jazz pattern grips and share pictures," but I think they'd look kind of weird against an otherwise all-black gun unless there's a dark colored background option.
All of the OEM guns I can think of off hand that look good and have light background color grips either have multiple light colored components elsewhere on the gun or are on something in stainless.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Anyone else on here have a Savage 19 NRA they could take some pictures of? I've got one I'm trying to fix and all the pictures I can find online are like early potato phone/digital point and shoot quality.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

Heck yes. Extremely pleased with my KRG, that looks awesome.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Paint came out pretty good. Only my 2nd camo job.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

I canít see anythingódid you forget to upload a photo?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

It's a schooner

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

It's a schooner

You dumb bastard. It's not a schooner. It's a sailboat.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

tarlibone posted:

Iím more of a glass half full kind of person.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

tarlibone posted:

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Iím more of a glass half full kind of person.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sahnApE0I7c

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

TFB had an thing a few days ago about using 22 blanks with 22 pellets. Results: it (kinda) works, don't do it except with the lowest powered blanks, and don't unless you have no other choice. Some pellets have the skirt separate, and they all kinda make a mess in the chamber.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/05/10/nail-blanks-22-pellets-rimfire/

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The Eyes Have It posted:

TFB had an thing a few days ago about using 22 blanks with 22 pellets. Results: it (kinda) works, don't do it except with the lowest powered blanks, and don't unless you have no other choice. Some pellets have the skirt separate, and they all kinda make a mess in the chamber.

I've seen a couple videos about that. It always makes me think "hey, why not?" at first, but then I'm like, "oh, yeah. Right."

Still looks like fun, though. Pellets are so dainty and light, though, that it makes me think some gun scientist or toy maker could come up with a way to shoot them through a gun-like device using something other than gunpowder. Maybe no fire at all, you know? Just pull the trigger, and some other gas propels the pellet through the air.

How about it, science?

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

tarlibone posted:

I've seen a couple videos about that. It always makes me think "hey, why not?" at first, but then I'm like, "oh, yeah. Right."

Still looks like fun, though. Pellets are so dainty and light, though, that it makes me think some gun scientist or toy maker could come up with a way to shoot them through a gun-like device using something other than gunpowder. Maybe no fire at all, you know? Just pull the trigger, and some other gas propels the pellet through the air.

How about it, science?

Hydrogen. Ignited by a spark.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

The Eyes Have It posted:

DON'T.

I did this with my mk4 ruger and the brown power level blanks. It left a perfect ring of pellet skirt lead in the chamber that wasn't detectable and couldn't be cleared with just a cleaning rod until I tried to load an actual round. The yellow power level blanks are entirely too powerful. I touched one off with no pellet and the case split halfway down the brass which is a dangeous situation for any firearm of any caliber, period.

The only "safe" way to do this is with a bolt action or single shot and jam that pellet into the rifling so if there are pellet remnants you can see and clear them immediately.

Of course for novelty purposes you can always drill out the top of the crimp, dump the powder and then you'd have a primed case for DIY colibris

E: their attempts using revolvers was also dumb since you introduce the added complication of a forcing cone.

Seamonster fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 22, 2021

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Sounds like someone needs to try it with .22 round ball.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Apparently someone near me killed a deer on private property while spotlighting from inside a truck last month.

Using a .22

What the hell is wrong with people?

Oh the only reason I found out is because the game wardens came by my house today since I own the same extremely common model and color of pickup and I live close, I guess? Got a nice interrogation and was asked to see what types of .22 ammo I had. Turns out the perpetrator used Federal, which is essentially the only brand I dont have.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011
Chelsea Manning is a goddamned HERO

If you're in NW Mississippi, I know some people who have a habit of spotlighting. Also salt-blocking at the edge of their property and shooting from the porch, at least once from inside, through a window. That family is like a never ending string of DUIs and and hunting law violations.

They're exactly the kind of assholes that hunt out of season, without a license, and in the laziest ways possible, but they'll bring bacon wrapped venison to Easter dinner.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

Is there any word on the tikka t1x UPR making it stateside. And if so, what is the estimated MSRP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The Little Badger looks neat. I wish they had a pistol version. Like, with an open grip that's more than just bent wire, but still holds your extra ammo. Single-shot.