Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I saw some 22 Long on sale somewhere at a terrible price, like $40 for 100, and I didn't buy it. Now it's gone, according to AmmoSeek.

Poor 22 Long. Literally the middle child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Reminds me of reading about the now obsolete 22 CB cartridge.

quote:

Designed to be a cross between the .22 BB and .22 Short, and first catalogued in around 1888 (though probably first made before that), it "managed to combine about all the disadvantages...[of both] into one generally useless cartridge"

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Is the .22cb the one that was basically a shell with projectile and primer but no actual powder?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

22 BB and 22 CB were both primer-only.

The difference is 22 CB had a pointy bullet which gave it more penetration. It was still too weak to be useful for anything other than punching paper, but now it couldn't just be stopped by a heavy blanket behind the target.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Is the .22cb the one that was basically a shell with projectile and primer but no actual powder?

.22BB and .22CB (6mm Flobert in the EU) are both like this. CBs have a heavier, conical bullet. CB is also available in various cartridge lengths to feed in older .22s that can't withstand modern pressures, but choke on short cartridge lengths. Keep in mind these cartridges were designed to be fired indoors at pellet gun traps/backstops. They can also be used to take garden pests at very close range. You'll find some very odd guns just for pest control. Rare in the US, but I've seen German made smooth-bore .22 lever actions. You know, so Dad can live out his Old West fantasies while obliterating slugs in the garden.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

madeintaipei posted:

.22BB and .22CB (6mm Flobert in the EU) are both like this. CBs have a heavier, conical bullet. CB is also available in various cartridge lengths to feed in older .22s that can't withstand modern pressures, but choke on short cartridge lengths. Keep in mind these cartridges were designed to be fired indoors at pellet gun traps/backstops. They can also be used to take garden pests at very close range. You'll find some very odd guns just for pest control. Rare in the US, but I've seen German made smooth-bore .22 lever actions. You know, so Dad can live out his Old West fantasies while obliterating slugs in the garden.

Henry still makes a smooth-bore lever-action in .22LR.

I remember years ago reading a bolt-action, smooth-bore .22LR specifically intended for shooting rats in barns. I always wondered how much of a difference it'd make in the produced pattern compared to a comparable length rifled barrel.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

poeticoddity posted:

Henry still makes a smooth-bore lever-action in .22LR.

I remember years ago reading a bolt-action, smooth-bore .22LR specifically intended for shooting rats in barns. I always wondered how much of a difference it'd make in the produced pattern compared to a comparable length rifled barrel.

I have a Marlin 25MG which is a smoothbore 22 Magnum. I'll have to do some comparison patterning for fun sometime soon but supposedly the difference is quite large.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I got myself a Heritage Rough Rider as a vaccination celebration. Really great trigger, but it feels a bit weird for my pinkie to literally have nothing to grip

The sights are garbo; front blade is fine but just a super shallow v notch in the frame to make up the rear sight, but ah well.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

The Eyes Have It posted:

The sights are garbo; front blade is fine but just a super shallow v notch in the frame to make up the rear sight, but ah well.
Yup, those are SAA sights.

I've actually got a S&W pre model 10 with a half-circle front and notch rear that I am shockingly accurate with, so don't discount them till you try them.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I'm looking forward to trying them, it's just easily the most 'perfunctory looking' sights I have, unless you count the bead on a shotgun

It's also my first revolver ever

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

The Eyes Have It posted:

I'm looking forward to trying them, it's just easily the most 'perfunctory looking' sights I have, unless you count the bead on a shotgun

Those are the sights that won the west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

The Eyes Have It posted:

Bring a tiny hammer when you shoot it, you may have to drift the front sight left or right a tiny bit when you find point of impact. Heritage seems to just tack that front blade on wherever. Also, a little bit of white or other bright paint on the front blade makes it easier for me to pick up.

E: loctite all the screws