Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

You’re new to the firearm world and want to get some practice in, and maybe are intimidated by something with a really big bang. What do you do? Shoot the low-recoil and economical poo poo!

You want to do some varminting or target shooting to get your distance skills up to snuff. What do you do? Get a scope and shoot some poo poo!

Your handgun of choice is becoming an expensive mouth to feed, but you love shooting it. What do you do? Get a conversion kit and shoot cheap poo poo!

So what is the poo poo? .22LR is the poo poo. It’s cheap as hell, it’s fun to shoot, it’s great for new/nervous shooters, it’s a riot to shoot with a suppressor (but then, what isn’t?), and it helps you develop great habits because you can shoot it so goddamn much.

WHAT FOLLOWS IS A WOEFULLY INCOMPLETE GUIDE THAT IS ONLY INTENDED TO HELP PEOPLE GET STARTED. Please feel free to add your suggestions as you see fit.

PISTOLS

Maybe the best all-around way to get into shooting, .22LR pistols are usually found in the sub-$400 range, relatively well-built, and are in thousands of configurations, so it’s drat near impossible to find a gun that doesn’t fit you. Examples include:

Ruger Single Six – Ruger has a penchant for loving a lot of things up, but this isn’t one of them. As a single-action revolver, it’s one of the most economical ways to shoot, and the old school western feel is always cool. Most come with a conversion cylinder (Edit: NOT barrel )that also let you shoot the larger .22 Magnum round. Extremely easy to break down and clean.

Ruger Mk I-III – Probably the only Ruger semi-auto pistols with any modicum of popularity, these are great shooters and very accurate. They’re famed for being a pain to disassemble, but are worth it.
EDIT: Away Message found this video on how to disassemble the drat things. Enjoy!

Walther P22 – They’re firmly locked in the “Love it/Hate it” category by most shooters, but most later models seem to work fine. Very comfortable to hold, but a mediocre-at-best DA trigger. Easy take-down.

Walther SP22 - Very nifty looking and extremely comfortable, but built by Umarex, so durability is a concern.

Browning Buckmark – One of the best 22s money can buy. Some feature a rail across the top for mounting of optics. Devilsbite’s is awesome and has a sick trigger job. Easy take-down and cleaning.

Beretta Neos – It bears stunning resemblance to the NES Zapper, but it is very comfortable, and also features a rail across the top. PEW PEW PEW. Also easy take-down and cleaning.

High-Standard - loving fantastic old school .22s. They're a little tough to find sometimes but absolutely worth it.

Smith & Wesson - Their revolvers are great, but the .22 ones seem absurdly expensive. Their semi autos are ugly as sin but people here seem to like them, so maybe S&W managed to make a semi-auto pistol that doesn't suck. Good for them!

TEC-22 - Jams like a motherfucker, but a lot of fun to shoot if you can get it to cycle. Ask Micromancer about his.

RIFLES

Ruger 10/22 – We already have a great megathread about them. They’re the Honda Civic of rifles. Extremely customizable and reliable. Parts are loving everywhere.

Savage – Any of their bolt-action rifles with the Accu-Trigger are great shooters, and most (if not all) come with scope mounts ready to go.

CZ – The 452 and 453 are fantastic guns, and the new single-stage triggers have all been getting good reviews. CZ stocks are of a higher quality than the typical laminate wood provided by Savage.

Remington 597 – Many larger retailers have a combo deal with this gun, a basic scope, and a high-cap mag (if you’re lucky) for around $200. The trigger is heavy (around 5 pounds), but very crisp. A VQ target hammer is available for about $35 that knocks the weight in half. Not the best quality but the stock is pretty comfortable and if you’re just plinking, it’s a decent generic scope.

Sako Quad – God drat. Sako created this 4-barrelled monster able to chamber all 4 of the major rimfire rounds (.17HMR, .17HM2, .22LR, .22WMR), with a scope that can be set to zero for all 4 rounds. Honestly I’d love to get my hands on one of these because it looks like a boatload of fun, although I believe they are pretty expensive.

GSG-5 – A German sporting company put together this neat looking model of the famed H&K MP5. It has a number of swappable parts and stocks, but is a tad flimsy, and apparently does not allow you to perform the “HK Slap” too often before breaking.

Sig Sauer 522LR – Based off the design of the 556 rifle. Shoots great and finally comes with iron sights, where early models didn't.

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 – Based off the popular M&P-15 AR platform rifle. Another great dedicated .22LR AR-15.

Colt AR-22 or whatever - It is goddamned awful and made by Daisy (yeah, the airgun guys) or some poo poo. Avoid.

Walther G22 - I'm probably their only fan here, but god drat is it fun. One of the few (maybe only) .22LR bullpups. I loving love mine and anyone who has shot it has enjoyed it. Maybe you don't like it. That's fine, more for me.

Marlin - The Model 60 is pretty popular, and they make other very solid rifles. Their lever-actions are pretty popular too.

Beretta Neos Carbine - PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW If there's a more spacegun looking thing than this, I don't know what it is.

Henry Repeating Arms - They're new to the scene, and build a number of different lever-action rifles. For a while they were actually based in Brooklyn . Quality is not exactly top-notch, but they're fine rifles, and mine had a very nice throw. You can find the basic .22 lever action for around $225 NIB. Henry also makes the AR-7 Survivor Rifle, an oddball takedown semi-auto that fits into its own stock. Famous for a hilarious assassination attempt in "Goldfinger".

Mossberg - Their old rifles from the 40s and 50s are really neat, and you can find them under $150 in most cases. Nowadays the 702 and 802 Plinkster (semi-auto and bolt-action, respectively) are not exactly high-end by any means, but are fun little rifles, and would be fine for kids.

Krinker Plinker - A 10/22 kit, with thanks to EndofGoogle. Different from the...

AK-22 - Built off the WASR-10 and can accept any regular AK furniture. Chill_bebop has some info below.

Browning - The Buckmark Rifle is one of the stranger looking rifles out there. It's literally the exact same Buckmark pistol with a long barrel and a stock. Their lever-action rifles have an astoundingly short throw of something like only 22 degrees. Some can operate it simply by opening and closing their hand.

Pump Action Rifles (Various brands) - If you haven't shot one, you really should. Winchesters are tough to find but are awesome. Taurus/Rossi (who owns who there?) makes them now and they don't seem too bad.

Combo rifles (Various brands) - These are the oddball over/under guns you sadly don't see very often. They are a single shot rifle over a single shot shotgun barrel. Savage makes a few and Devilsbite says Remington does as well. Common combinations include .22LR over 20ga and .410ga. From what I hear they make fantastic rabbit guns.

CONVERSION KITS

So you love your handgun of choice, but ammo’s way up these days! Oh no!

CZ Kadet Kit – Fitting any 75 or 85 model, the Kadet Kit is a very popular addition to CZ’s line. They’ve been around a while now so you can find them everywhere.

Sig Sauer .22 Conversion Kit – These are fairly new to the scene, and are available for the 220, 226, and 229. Few people seem to own them yet, but most of the reviews are pretty positive. Personally I’d really like to get one for my 226.

Kimber 1911 Conversion Kit – They’re all over the place, and that’s pretty much all I know about them. I’m sure someone else here can attest to them.

GLOCK Conversion Kit – All I know is they’re supposedly out there somewhere. Sorry VV
EDIT: Much love to STAT1C_X for this.

AR-15 Conversion Kits – My knowledge is in the same category as the Glock’s kits. Sorry again.
EDIT: Beeb is loving awesome and linked me to this.

EDIT: Here are a shitload more 1911 kits. I'm too lazy to link them all individually. Thanks Ygolonac!

AMMUNITION

Everyone and their mother makes .22LR ammo these days, which is good because many semi-auto .22s these days are notoriously picky. Here are a few highlights.

Federal Ammunition – Their 525 and 550 round bulk packs are pretty popular with casual shooters. Everything I’ve ever owned has cycled it fine. You can find the 550 round packs at Wal-Mart for like $13.50, which is a pretty great deal.

Remington – They make a shitload of different velocities and bullet types. Everything from the “Golden Bullet” pack of 525 rounds, to hypervelocity Yellow Jackets. Usually pretty crappy quality.

Winchester - They sell some goofy 333-round packs and some "Wildcat" (just a brand name, not a wildcatter round) ammo that runs fairly well.

CCI – The Mini Mag ammunition is some of the best all-around .22LR out there. If your gun can’t cycle them then something may be wrong. They also make the Hypervelocity “Stinger” ammunition.

Aguila – Another great .22LR maker. They make a very good line of subsonic ammunition that is pretty popular among shooters with suppressors.

CLEANING STUFF

The .22LR is a notoriously dirty round. Better have some poo poo to clean things up!

Bore Snake – Probably the best goddamned thing to hit the cleaning side of guns since CLP. Spray it down a bit and yank it through your barrel 2-3 times. Motherfucker’s gonna be clean as hell.

Break Free CLP – Available at any auto store pretty cheap, CLP is simply a non-chlorinated brake cleaner that does a fantastic job of cleaning and lubing drat near every gun part known to man.
EDIT: Sorry, I'm getting my solvents mixed up. It's still loving great.

Cotton Patches – Get them anywhere, or just cut up some old Hanes t-shirts. You can never have enough of them on hand.

Purple Power - If things have really gone to poo poo, this is what you reach for. Available by the gallon and stronger than hell.

So what are you doing sitting there on your rear end? Get out there and do some cheap shooting and have a lot more fun popping off a thousand rounds for the cost of someone else magdumping his 1911 a couple times! Anyone who tells you that they don’t have fun rapid-firing a bunch of 22 is a goddamned liar. Go have some fun, and you don’t even have to spend a ton of money to do it!

EDIT: ADDING FANCY-PANTS SECTION FROM BRAINGLITCH

BrainGlitch posted:

Here's some Anschutz stuff if you wana throw it in the OP or something.

That sounds goofy. What the gently caress is it?
Anschutz manufacture expensive and quality rimfire, pellet, and the occasional centerfire rifles for target competition. Pretty much the Aston Martin of rimfires. Sometimes you will see models marked Savage-Anschutz or Anschutz-Savage, these are rifles imported for some reason by Savage.

Sounds expensive. Is it $rape?
Lucky for you, they've been around for a while. You can find used ones at very reasonable prices if you look.

Why the gently caress should I buy one?
Because you like accurate rimfire rifles. You like stocks that can be used offhand or have accessories thrown on their weird rail for benchrest purposes. You know why you want one? Free floated barrels, adjustable triggers, poo poo is tits.

Your post is pretty useless and I could've found more by googling for five minutes.
Well, gently caress you buddy! Prepare for links. You want links? We got links, man. We got so many links.

Informative Links:
Official Anschutz Moon People Website
Rimfire Shooting Anschutz Subforum
Rimfirecentral Anschutz Subforum

Retailers/Parts:
J&P Custom Products: These guys are the best. They will bend over backward to get you what you need. If you don't see it, call and they'll make it.

Champion Shooters: Good accessories and parts.

Here is a picture of some dude's Anschutz 64.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

PRICING INFORMATION

It's kind of hard to tell you what to exactly look for here since prices tend to fluctuate. Here are some general things to keep in mind in terms of your budget.

If you have a budget of even $150, you can still get yourself a solid .22. Used 10/22s, used Ruger Mk1s, and those S&W .22 autoloaders (the 22-A?) can be found in that range. You can find the very underrated Marlin Model 60 easily under $150 as well.

$200-300 opens up a lot of options for you. Here you'll find things like the Remington 597 usually comboed with a generic scope, just about every 10/22 out there, the Ruger Single Six, Beretta Neos, Henry 001 lever-action, and most Savage bolt-actions are in this range.

$300-500 puts you into the fancy-pants range of things. Now you're open to look at the CZ rifles and high-end Savage rifles with perhaps some money left to put glass on. Here, you'll also find the AR-based rifles like the Sig 522 and Smith & Wesson M&P 22 or whatever it's called.

If you're looking for those fancy-rear end bullseye pistols by like Walther and some other people, I think that puts you well over $800 and into the thousands. Good luck.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

taqueso posted:

You forgot the Marlin 60 rifle. Nice OP regardless.

Yeah, I knew I was going to miss quite a few things. I'll add.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Linux Republican posted:

Still plenty of these floating around used in that sub-$400 price range.

Click here for the full 800x563 image.

No screwy take-down required, just unscrew the barrel and you're done.

Jesus christ I can't believe I forgot them.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Edited the OP to include a lot more poo poo, and fix my dumbass mistakes.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Chill_Bebop posted:

Heres a Gun I here almost nobody ever talking about, yet it seems to be a really neat buy.

AK22s are built off Centerfire WASR Frames, can accept AK Furniture, and supposedly run like a top, especially with a regular dust cover put on it. I really want to get one to try it out, gently caress GSG5s, this is something I want.

These are seriously cool as hell. Now are AK-22s and "Krinker Plinker" the same thing? Or did someone else make the KP?

EDIT: vvv God drat, I knew that. I'm off my game today.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 26, 2009

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

GO BUY A LOT OF BULLETS HERE

Some of the Minimag prices are pretty solid. Is Natchez pretty good to deal with?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

hangedman posted:

Also, S&W does make extremely good autoloaders besides the 41.

Oh I know, but the hate is more fun.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Shameless self promotion, I made the .17HMR thread a while back. Hope that helps you out!

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

devilsbite posted:

I think your bullet link on page one is broken.

Shut up, homo. They are not. Fixed them

Also Derringers are loving awesome and I really want to shoot one.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

ClumsyThief posted:

Been thinking about buying a .22LR rifle for awhile. I used to shoot my father's Mossbergs a lot as a kid, and I have access to a fairly nice firing range, so I figured it'd be a good way to have some fun.

Was thinking about getting a Marlin 60, since it's on the cheap end and I don't have a ton to spend. What's the major difference between the tube fed design and the magazines? Are there any significant drawbacks to the rifle compared to the other popular choices, like the 597 and the 10/22? It might end up being used for small game hunting, but the likelihood of me putting any kind of aftermarket mods into it besides a scope are slim and none, so I'd like something that's going to be relatively accurate and solid off the shelf. Basically all the rifles in the original post seem to fit that description, but the Marlin caught my eye for some reason so if anyone can offer some more specific advice about it I'd appreciate it.

About the only difference is that tube mags can balance a little differently. They are usually a bit higher capacity as well. The 60 is a perfectly fine gun.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

DocPsychosis posted:

I don't think I've seen anyone mention the S&W 617, a slick .22 wheelgun. It weighs a metric ton but it's good at the range.

I would buy one of those in a heartbeat, but the rare times I do see them, they're like $600 and that's just obscene.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

devilsbite posted:

Somebody mentioned straight pull actions in another thread and it reminded me of this little number:

They are pretty spendy IIRC but I've seen an interesting review of this rifle.

That was me

I like the last line of that description. "We'll put whatever wood we want on here, and you will drat well like it!"

That is a pretty neat rifle though. Is that black patch on the underside of the stock the mag holder?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

dennyk posted:

Just bought my first gun yesterday:

Beretta U22 NEOS. Put a hundred rounds through it yesterday, it's a fun little plinker. The .357 revolvers I've rented the last few trips to the range were fun to shoot, but .38 special is just too damned expensive to shoot a lot, so I decided to pick up a .22 first so I'd have something I can practice a lot with on the cheap. I definitely need the practice.

Don't let anyone tell you that's not totally loving awesome looking. How comfortable is it?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Around here I've seen them almost always around $250-275, which means I should really jump on it.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

dennyk posted:

Picked the Neos up new for $289 at my local range, actually.

Yeah, NIB for anything under $300 is good. How is the trigger?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

alfredthehobo posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Sig Mosquito? My friend bought one over the summer time and has shot it numerous times and loves it. I have held it and looked it over and fell in love with it as well.

Anyone think this is a horrible gun? If not I'm probably gonna purchase very soon.

Be careful you don't get one of the older models, those were plagued with problems.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

taint massage posted:

This is my 1956 Ruger Single-Six Lightweight.

This is the first generation of the Lightweight made, so it has the alloy cylinder frame, alloy cylinder and alloy grip frame.

That's very cool. Does it also have a .22WMR cylinder?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

ease posted:

Thanks that looks awesome. I'll be reloading a shitload at the range, that thing will be awesome. I test loaded the clips yesterday. I thought I just had pussy thumbs.

They make life a lot easier. Take extra ammo because you will be amazed how much more quickly you can burn through it. Also, magazines.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Futtbucker posted:

Gah! just when I thought I had gotten over my irrational desire for a NEOS... It's beautiful.

Here, lemme help that irrational desire out a bit.

Just got it today. God drat this is so comfortable to hold. Also the blue grips loving rule.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

PirateDentist posted:

This must be the unofficial Buy A Neos day. I just got one today as my first gun. I wanted the blue or stainless and grey, but I did not want to hunt all over the state or deal with shipping. I asked the dealer about the stainless steel ones, but he said he has not been able to get them for years. So I have a nice solid black one now. I figure if I really want color I can just buy another grip down the line.

Yeah, the grips are like $25, and this party pack of front sights is pretty cool.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

PirateDentist posted:

Cool, thanks for the link. Got a source for replacement grips? I don't know what sites are good for gun stuff yet.

Midwayusa.com has drat near everything, and is a great starting point. Here are their Neos grips. They're not always the best on price, but are usually among the better out there.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

DocPsychosis posted:

I tried those, and they felt great, but I was getting feeding problems that I wasn't having with much cheaper Federal stuff. For me it certainly wasn't worth the $8 or whatever they were charging for 100 rounds.

I've never heard of a gun having problems with Minimags. What were you shooting?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Scoobi posted:

I bought 2750 rounds of .22LR from walmart yesterday (550 federal bricks for 12 bux) because they had been sold out for like the past 3 weeks.

Yeah, those are proving to be in amazingly short supply lately. I try to grab a box any time I can.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

ease posted:

Would there be anything wrong with just dumping the rounds in a Tupperware container?

Nope.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

phatmonky posted:

Make me spend money.

What do I want?

.22lr rifle
bolt action
accurate at 75yds (is 100 out of the question?)
I've got a few hundred to spend (maybe more)

Planning to use iron sights aperture setup, no scope/optic.

That Mossberg is a drat nice rifle but it depends a little. If you want sights instead of a scope that's pretty good. I'd also recommend looking at any of Savage's wood-stocked models, or the CZ 452 if you want to put some glass on the rifle. A good rimfire scope can run as little as about $65.

100 yards is easily attainable with .22LR, beyond about 125 is difficult but can be done.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

ronaldreagan posted:

People seem to love those Mossberg 44s, does anyone know how the other old Mossbergs compare?
Specifically I'm looking at the 51m and 151m.

The 151m is nice, but mine had a BITCH of a time feeding and jamming.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for optics? I am considering just sticking with the iron sights on it, but I figured I might as well start looking now in case I decide to scope it.

Anything from about $65-$120 should suit you fine. Also you'll want to re-host that photo on Waffleimages or photobucket dude

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

God drat.

Fake edit: On closer inspection, it looks like that VFG would snap off really easily. What the hell does it attach to?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Craptacular posted:

Apparently somebody's making a new feed tower which will fit AM180 magazines into an AR15...

God drat that looks fantastic. The way it's angled though, that looks like the drum would be at kind of an oddball angle when it's in the gun.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

PirateDentist posted:

My regular Walmart carries shotguns, rifles, and ammo. It's the only one for at least 50 miles though, so they probably have different stock than an area with lots of them.

Depends on location too. Some cities/townships frown on the whole thing, and I'd imagine Walmart would rather not get the bad PR from selling firearm-related materials.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

TheDon01 posted:

Is .22WMR allowed here?

If not we can talk about my old 10/22's

Sure.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

PirateDentist posted:

For all the Neos owners around here I found a cheap source for mags over at the rimfirecentral forums.
http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269589

$9.99 a piece, with flat $15 shipping regardless of quantity.

Link to store:
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/bene2210stfa.html

They're supposedly genuine Beretta factory magazines, just bulk packed.

Goddamned fantastic. That's half the price Midway wants.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Holy poo poo Baikal. I don't know what this is but it looks like an assload of fun.

http://imzcorp.com/en/company/98.html

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

PirateDentist posted:

Have your tried any Federal in your Neos? The bulk pack stuff? I've been trying to get ammo for the last week and a half at Walmart, I picked up some Mini Mag yesterday (First .22LR I've seen so far) but I'd still like to get a ton of cheap stuff for plinkin'. Basically I'm down to wanting to get several thousand rounds if they ever get any in just so I can stop hunting for it for a while.

I've fed Bulk Federal to my Neos and have yet to have any failures in 3-400 rounds so far.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Uncle Caveman posted:

Oh now that is very interesting... Do Marlin 60s have a standard Weaver rail?

Yeah, it don't know if it's officially a Weaver or whatever, but it's one of those slim rails often seen on smaller rimfires like that.

Edit: IGUANAAAA

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Acid Reflux posted:

Holy poo poo Miso, that's awesome. Could an enterprising young lad without a machine shop do something that, or did you actually thread the barrel?

Some .22 muzzle brakes don't need threading, and can be held by a lock screw and secured around the front sight. Some 10/22 brakes work like that, anyway.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

hangedman posted:

Remington 870 vs. Mossberg 500 / 590.

"Magazine" vs. "Clip"

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

lupus__x posted:

I'm having about a 90% failure rate trying to get 550-packs at Wal-Mart around here. Are people legitimately concerned that they need to hoard .22LR?

Sadly, yes.

I saw a guy at a gun show here in town the other weekend with a stash of about 20 of those boxes he was selling for $21 apiece.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

I tried out some of that CCI CB long subsonic ammo for the first time this weekend. It's kind of odd to actually be able to see the bullet in flight through my scope. Is it normal to have a 6-7" drop at 50 yards when compared to normal-velocity .22lr rounds?

For CBs, sure. CB ammo is only propelled by the primer. Subsonics still have gunpowder in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

I need a proper bore brush as well, thanks cheapo Walmart cleaning kit

Get a boresnake like yesterday. If you have anything in .22LR (really, any rimfire) this saves you a shitload of cleaning annoyances.