Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

You magnificent bastard, what a great idea for a thread.

This may take a while.

Check out Ruger's Brearcat. Seriously. Yes, it's small, but the gun still works well in almost every adult hand. It's surprisingly accurate with its crude cowboy sights, great for shootin' critters for the dinner pot or plinking at cans. Super safe design and single action make the Bearcat the best teaching pistol there is. Won't intimidate new shooters and appeals to the senses because it looks like a little Colt SAA, the quintessential American pistol.

The Single Six has interchangeable cylinders, not barrels. And are awesome.
This is awesome and I want one:

If you like mouseguns, and boy howdy I do, you need to check out the Taurus PT22 and Beretta's Bobcat pistols. Neat guns of very similar design, the Italian is DA/SA while the Brazilian is a simpler DAO. I like the sights from the South Americans better too.

Browning Buckmarks kick rear end. Browning now manufactures two distinct grip frame sizes, the smaller being super comfy for those with smaller hands. Easily upgradeable as the barrel and S/N'd frame are separate. Contrary to logic my Buckmark LOVED Thunderbolt ammo, go figure. Great resources available here. My only bitch about this platform is that Browning has made incremental "improvements" over the years (mag disconnect, etc).

An older "Boy's Rifle" or "Favorite" single shot rifle is fun to shoot, easy to transport and makes a great hand-me-down. Lots of manufacturers made them over the years and Savage makes one now (that I hate). They look something like this:

It's been mentioned but Browning makes a beautiful 22 auto, it's a JMB design to boot.I recommend the Semi-Auto 22, Grade I unless you're a baller. The stainless steel/laminate versions are an abomination.

Browning makes sweet 22 lever guns too.

Also wanted to pimp S&W's 422 series pistols. I used to shot one and quite enjoyed it. They seem to be few and far between on the used market which leads me to believe that people like shooting them.

edit:
Combo guns like this Remington/Spartan SPR94 .22lr/410 would make a sweet woods gun.

I'm also hot for Savage's Mk I & II with peeps.

Also hugely gay for carbine length 62 reproductions. Rossi & Taurus made them, here's a Brazilian:

devilsbite fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Chill_Bebop posted:

Every gun you mentioned kicks rear end.

As for the Stevens- I actually own one!

Thanks! Nice Stevens. I've got a Remington Model 6 Improved and I love shooting it.

My problem with the new one is the finish on the receiver and barrel. It's like the metal was never finished/polished and the blue feels more like tar paint. It's hard to describe, but just the nastiest blue finish I've ever run into. The wood is ok but again could benefit from better finishing. I'd actually like to see what Taurus could do with the pattern as the 62's they put out were of acceptable qualtiy.

---

I've seen several Norinco copies of the Browning BA22 for $250-$300 recently. They were all used and maybe 80% condition. I've seen Brownings in the same condition for the same amount of money though. Passed up on a Belgian for $275 that had a loose fore end (otherwise 90%+). I even took the time to explain how I'd fix it to the old man...we still passed it up and regret it every time we go back to the show.

I know I linked to a specific thread earlier but anybody interested in buying, maintaining or upgrading virtually any .22lr should check out Rimfire Central. https://www.rimfirecentral.com They cover far more than just 10/22s in their sub forums and have generally great info. If you haven't visited yet, take a few minutes to poke around.

After spending many hours reading various hunting sites around the net I've come to the conclusion that the Baikal/Spartan combo guns are better than Savage's Model 24. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the 24, I've just read to many head-to-head reviews that praised the Russian gun. Plus the Savage's are a bit of a collectors item right now and command a premium on the secondhand market.

I highly recommend shopping at pawn shops/gun shows for a $50 .22lr rifle. Bolt or semi-auto makes no difference. Bring a flashlight with you, lock the bolt open and point the light down the barrel from there. Check out the crown & look for pitting in the barrel. If there is none (bore pitting), return the gun to battery and engage the safety. Point the muzzle in a known safe direction and pull the trigger. Take the safety off and repeat. If there's no bore pitting, the safety works and the action fires; buy it. Post pictures.

Hey, Not Nipsy Russell how'd that Model 60 work out for you? Is it still giving you greif?

More sweet .22lr Guns:

Assuming you can find an old one with out their crazy lock/safety.

It might not be as good as a 41 but this pistol looks all business.

Pew Pew Pew.

edited for homegrown

2006 rack...

Lettering experiment.

Guts.

devilsbite fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 26, 2009

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Sturdy posted:

What do you think of Heritage's 22 revolvers? I kinda want one.

They have developed a pretty good reputation for quality, which is good. The fit & finish has always been a step behind but with them expanding into center fire guns I'm seeing better fit/finish and detail (mostly on the center fire guns). They replaced their old, ugly, skeleton hammer with a nicer one, another plus. My biggest problem is the new safety devices finding their way onto revolvers. A transfer bar safety is the only thing necessary on a SA revolver; I wouldn't turn my nose up at a half cock notch though.

If you don't mind the aesthetics and get a good price, go for it. With the availability of other options on the used market I can't ever see myself buying one*.

*if I find a 3" birds head model all bets are off!

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

CaptainFuzychin posted:

You do realize this means we're getting married right?
Time For Love

What grip frame was that and how long did it take you to fit it to the main frame? The hammer? My metal working skills have come along nicely but I've never taken on a project of that magnitude.

Nice work!

---

Professor Awesome posted:

Great HMR Automatic deconstruction

Well put. I don't think anybody's going to figure out an HMR auto for quite a while. I'm gay for the Automag II but understand the inherent issues of running .22 Mag in an auto pistol. Neither one is a good idea. HM2 in the 10/22 is tits.

---

Gimp, had something to do with goons chasing...

Speaking of 10/22s, still using that cheap Eagle magazine release?

edit: VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV I think your bullet link on page one is broken. VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

devilsbite fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 27, 2009

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Had to pimp one more .22lr that's on my "Oh my, what an inheritance; I must spend it" list.

Yea, it's a North American Arms 5 shot revolver pimping the 1 & 5/8" barrel*.

Pros:
- You never have to carry extra ammo!
- Simple to reload; at a bench, with good light, and patience.
- It fits in your pocket!
- It's a real gun!
- Accurate to 10-12 feet!
- Will smart like the dickens if handled stupidly.

Cons:
- Safety notches in the cylinder end playing Russian Testicle Roulette while pocketed.
- Stiff hammer is difficult to fan.
- * Does not fit in the belt buckle.

I've heard tale of a "boot grip" that would fit this model and be preferable. Can't find a link at the moment.

I want to shoot Velociters out of this thing.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

NosmoKing posted:

lovely sights, terrible triggers, accuracy that lets you hit the ground and that's mostly due to gravity...

Oh, and in chamberings with more punch than a 32 S&W, they tend to bite back hard enough to make you bleed.

Then again, my results are with drop guns made by Davis... YMMV with "better" quality derringers.

I hear you my brother but I am a fool who must suffer errors in judgment first hand. I've had a weakness for derringers all my life (watched too many westerns growing up) and vow to own a two barreled .38Spl. or 9mm before I die. I will carry it whilst playing poker, preferably on a river boat.

Sorry to derail the .22lr train, just wanted to point out that I expect my gun love to be cause me pain from time to time.

I actually think this little pee shooter, with a better grip, might actually be fun to shoot at 5-10 feet, maybe over a camp fire. Gimmick gun for sure, but I still want one.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

presidentnixon posted:

I saw a Heritage Rough Rider in pawnshop today for $179. It appears to be in unfired condition, and the guy said it was new. I didn't measure it, but it would have had a ~4" barrel.

Other than a loosening screw (as reported around the internet) once in a while, any opinions? I'm really thinking about going back for it today or tomorrow.

I just happen to have their catalog and it shows MSRP of the 4" "cowboy" sights for $169.95 w/.22mag cyl. and the 4" Adjustable model is $209.95 w/.22Mag cylinder.

$179 sounds high to me; your area might be different, but I'd pass. I think they made some .22s without the new safety, that would be a plus. The older ones have an ugly hammer, but that should be replaceable.

If you think you'd be happy with the gun offer $125 and refuse to go higher than $135 OTD. If no sale, come back the next week and re-test the waters.

I know we have a few owners around where, speak up folks!

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Somebody mentioned straight pull actions in another thread and it reminded me of this little number:

Russian American Armory Company posted:

SOBOL IS A SMALL BORE RIFLE with a wood classic stock (with a holder for extra magazines). The Sobol rifles are intended for hunting the winged and small game. The barrel bore is locked by the crank locking mechanism with vertically arranged axles of rotation. The rifle is manually reloaded with cartridge feeding from the magazine.

The iron sight of Sobol Carbine of 5.6(22LR) caliber is intended for 25 and 75m of 22WMR caliber - for 50,100 and 200m. The receiver is provided with a dovetail base to accept an optical sight. The design of the mounts allows to deliver fire over the iron sight without detaching the optical one. The stock may be made of various kinds of wood (birch, walnut, beech).

They are pretty spendy IIRC but I've seen an interesting review of this rifle.

edit: VVV yup. IIRC it holds two magazines, so you get 3 total from the manufacturer. The main complaint about the rifle was the fit/finish of the plastic and the fact that the mags were plastic. Russians should stick to sheet metal . Ingenious action though.

devilsbite fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 3, 2009

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

BrainGlitch posted:

posted this in questions thread but no answer, perhaps i can find help here!

The extractor and release plunger pin somehow found themselves out of my Sears-distributed savage model 6. They have pictures of both parts here: http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp?chrMasterModel=089Zz6&MC=. I can't find any guides that I don't have to pay for, how would I get those back in there so that this rifle extracts shells again?

I have to admit to being over 2,000 posts behind in that thread.

I've got The Gun Digest Book of Rimfire Rifles but don't find your model number listed. Any chance you have another link to a parts diagram or a photo of the gun?

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

BrainGlitch posted:

I am told that Savage/Stevens/Springfield Model 87/187/987's are very similar.

Second rifle down.

Thank you so much for the help.

The crazy thing is that I have this rifle badged "Stevens 76A" and have been unable to find a good step by step on the action. This action "type" has been produced, re-produced and licensed so many times it pops up now and again.

Unfortunately I received my sample as a ziplock bag of parts, barreled action with mag tube and a crusty stock. It was missing the front sight when I assembled it, other than that it functioned perfectly. Here's the unfortunate part; it's currently disassembled again, completely.

If you can take pictures and post them we may be able to figure it out. I'll do some research and get back to you. Keep in mind that I work in days, not hours.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

BrainGlitch posted:

The extractor and release plunger pin somehow found themselves out of my Sears-distributed savage model 6.

Does your bolt look like this?

Side

I believe you just have to slip the spring in first, then the plunger and finally while holding the plunger down with a small punch, rotate the extractor into place.

Let me know if this helps/matches your situation. Feel free to PM or email me.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Was browsing the Michigan Gun Owners for sale thread and came across this:

some guy on MGO posted:

I have three 22s for sale.

1. Stainless steel Ruger 10/22 international (mannlicher stock) excellent condition. $325 OBO
2. Blued Ruger 10/22 international (mannlicher stock) excellent condition. $300.00 OBO
3. Remington nylon 66 .22 , tube fed, excellent condition. Very accurate 22. Comes with, period correct, bushnell 3/4" tube scope. $ 275 OBO

There was some interest in these a while ago. Decent prices for somewhat hard to find 10-22s. here

Also this Mossberg M44US for $300 here.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Fog Tripper posted:

Or $100 less:
http://www.thecmp.org/22targetcommercial.htm

I've seen this at the CMP but thought the offer was only open to organizations that had junior marksmanship programs. Are they also available to individuals?

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Fog Tripper posted:

As far as I know, the only difference between the commercial (new) rifles and the surplus, is that the former needs to be delivered to your FFL and the latter can be delivered to your doorstep. You still need to qualify for each the same way.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

cmp posted:

Purchasing organizations must be CMP affiliates with a junior rifle marksmanship activity or be youth camps employing instructors who are trained and certified through a CMP Instructor Training Course (ITC). Clubs, teams or camps may order as many rifles as they wish as long as they can demonstrate that the rifles will be used for their junior marksmanship program and are not for resale or other re-transfer to individuals.

Rifle Purchase Eligibility Certificate and Order Form

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Kommienzuspadt posted:

so I just bought 2 boxes of "peters" .22 which, it turns out, is remington rebranded. is it total crap? i bought it because it was hi velocity and wasnt thunderbolts or hollowpoints, the only other rap they had. it looks decent and I think I will need hi velocity to cycle the slide on my 1911 conversion kit. any info?

I have weird luck with ammo, so YMMV. Peters ammo is the worst poo poo I've ever shot. FTFs in all my rimfires. The stuff is poo poo.

Also, I am so jealous of those 60 stocks with the rodent...I need one of those.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Motronic posted:

At $300, it would be a no brainer. At $460-$550, it doesn't make sense to me.

I agree, sort of. I've seen second hand ones go for $350-$400 on local boards and for that money it's rather compelling; as a .22lr. Even at $500 it's not a bad deal compared to the other .22 lr semi autos out there.

That said, having an AR lower hanging around makes the dedicated .22lr uppers mighty tempting. For me it'll probably boil down to 2 guns > 1 gun.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

The old one made me feel stodgy. I got all caught up in Heller & felt like a bumper sticker. Nobody else watches old Flash Gordon movies so the refrence was o so obscure. That cow thread wrecked me, I almost fell on the floor reading it. Classic TFR.

Playing with light:

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

infrared35 posted:

I want to shoot that so hard.

In other news, devilsbite has stockpiled 2,000 rounds of .22lr.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

The Architect posted:

No answer in the question thread, but this thread seems a bit livelier.

How do I get the rear site off my stock Ruger 10/22 barrel? I've read you have to tap it out with a punch and lightly hammer it, but all I'm doing is mangling the metal around it. Is there anything else I can do?

I'm pretty sure it should drift out, I'm not certain which way but believe it's right to left. If you measure the dovetail you should find one end to be wider than the other; that's the out.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

sza posted:

.22 Long Pistol?

Saw this in the photo thread after not visiting for >2K posts, what timing! More pictures please as I need to finish off what you've started.

Also, DJ, you better make it to the UP in May as I NEED to shoot your BM...rifle that is.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

DJExile posted:

Haha nice. Is Sza's longer than the one you have with the scope on it?

Yea, mine is a 5.5" barrel, that looks to be ~10". Browning has made long barrel BuckMarks for a while but my limited gun budget has always kept me from owning one. IIRC there are a bunch of great photos at RimfireCentral in the Browning forum.

FYI - I've put the sear spring back in the original position with little change in the pull weight. I think the amount of man-handling I put it through has significantly reduced the tension of the spring. It's still a little lighter than I'd prefer but it is oh so sweet.

Cross posted from the photo thread, this is how it sits currently.

I think I'm going to move the scope forward a few millimeters so the front edge is in front of the barrel in hopes of keeping the optics clean. I ordered flip up scope caps from Midway but haven't gotten around to fitting them yet.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

infrared35 posted:

Is a Buckmark striker fired or does it have an internal hammer?

It has an internal hammer but it's still quite easy to work the slide. Especially since Browning added the "ears" to the back of the slide. It shouldn't be a problem for anybody to operate.

TheNateLaw posted:

Devilsbite, does that rail sit on top of standard slab-sided and bull barrels? I like it a lot, but I'm also considering a TacSol with integrated rear sight. Since I'll probably only install a red dot, I would only need a half-length, and it would be nice to keep the front sight.

Yes, mine started out as a plain old 5.5 Standard. Unfortunately B-Square no longer makes that type of rail. That TacSol rail is pretty cool and definately more functional. Browning also makes an integrated rail/site that IIRC can be ordered directly from them. It's been a while since I've looked at such things so YMMV.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

The one thing I do want to do with this rifle is lighten the trigger pull. It's a tad heavy, and is messing with my groups. Anyone know anything that I can do to it to lighten up the trigger?

Give Rimfire Central a try.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

SouthsideSaint posted:

Does anyone have the link to the marlin 60 trigger job. Ive been looking on the internet and have had no luck.

RimfireCentral has a sticky dedicated to the Marlin 60 trigger.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

The Jabberwock posted:

I'm looking to nab a buckmark some time soon...

Have you held the UDX? I like the grip but would want to keep a UDX frame gun simple, no optics. I think a 4" UDX with fiber optic sites would make a dandy woods plinker.

If there's a gun store near you that you like there's nothing wrong with having them order you exactly what you want. Barrel length shouldn't have much bearing on accuracy so I'd recommend you get what your eye likes.

The standard grip frame should give you more options for grips. I got my targets from someone on RFC and there are lots of third party options.

have a photo

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

BSA Sweet 22 Rimfire Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm Side Focus Duplex Reticle Matte

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

priznat posted:

How scary is it to fully detail strip a buckmark (field)? I gave mine a good clean from a field strip but I get the feeling I really should be taking it down further to clean the firing pin, extractor and the stuff in the handle. Crud is everywhere and there is a bit of a "gritty" sound when I manipulate the extractor by hand.

What tools are required? Roll pin punches seem to be a given, anything else?

priznat posted:

I forgot if I asked this before, but is it worth taking a buckmark to a gunsmith for a detail strip + clean or is it relatively doable on your own? I don't own a set of punches though. I field strip and clean relatively often (after every 2nd outing or so) but the areas you can't really get at easily are getting a little gritty from all the crud.

I was 110 posts behind and didn't see these get answered. Detail stripping a Buckmark is simple and a great introduction to how guns operate. I've used a simple punch set, hammer and toothpicks for years. I also have a small vice that I cut leather pads for to hold the frame, that's optional though.

Here I'm fitting a custom safety that I ground as an experiment in fitting. Modeling clay can be useful as a third hand.

Blowed up!

Here it is pre-cleaning. Probably has a couple/few thousand rounds crud in there. Still operated 100%.

The punch set I use is a cheap brass & steel set that I picked up at a gunshow. I recommend you start with brass as none of the pins in the Buckmark are tight enough to require steel. This is a decent starter set including hammer. I use a locally made brass hammer that's on the heavy side, for years I used a cheap lightweight hammer that came in a "home owners apartment dweller's" special boxed set of tools.

Get some grease and have at it.

devilsbite fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 23, 2010

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

priznat posted:

Mine is the 5.5 field with the rail all the way along the top

Mine is an older 5.5 Standard, pretty much the same thing.

FYI, you can get along for a long time by field stripping to the point in the last photo above, removing the grips and whatever fiddly bits come loose and blowing out the innards with Gun Scrubber break cleaner followed by a spray down of CLP ATF. I like to blow it dry with my compressor after the cleaning and oiling.

The bolt gets a spray down with Simple Green and a scrub with a brush, 5 for a $1 tooth brushes from the dollar store rock. Blow dry, oil and reassemble. I like to grease the slide/frame interfaces but the gun runs just fine without it.

They've changed the innards over the years though so check to see if there is any plastic in the action nowadays.

If I were to buy today for a custom build I'd start with a Camper or a Field, whichever I found cheaper. I will own a Varmint model one day, those are pure sex. And one of the new slim grip frame models with fiber optic sights, perhaps a 4".

So many guns, so little money.

devilsbite fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 23, 2010

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm trying to decide if I would be better off buying a 10/22 and upgrading it (trigger, barrel, scope) as I got along or picking up a Savage Mark II FVXP that already has the stuff done.

It really comes down to whether or not you want to fiddle with the mechanicals. I like to know how stuff works so taking my guns apart is fun for me. The 10/22 really is a great design, it's just a shame that Ruger doesn't go the extra mile and manufacture to its potential. You can just swap out the hammer for a VQ part and have a very serviceable trigger. The bolt release should be opened up which is a quick and easy operation, not worth buying a new one IMO.

If you're just getting started go ahead and shoot the standard rifle a bit, the gun will out shoot you for a while. I'd recommend the Sporter model over the Carbine most folks start with. Its better stock and lack of a barrel band mean less to change on the hunt for accuracy. Add a BSA Sweet 22 and upgrade as you see fit.

On the other hand, Savage makes a drat fine .22. The package deal comes with a chap 4x scope, fine to begin with but you may want more magnification if shooting at 100yars regularly. Also the synthetic stocks can be floppy, I'd recommend wood or at least laminate (Mark II BV) if your budget allows.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

king of the bongo posted:

Daewoo dp52 .22lr (this was pretty awesome)

Want this gun.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Insane Totoro posted:

Basically I have a shitload of Cabela's gift cards through my credit card company as usual and I was planning to buy from Cabela's anyway...

HEY INSANE TOTORO, BUY THIS!!!

Savage Mark II 22.lr heavy target in laminate stock for $340; includes scope. click on the right thumbnail

This is a hella nice beginners setup for the money. Yea, it's a cheap scope but it should serve well for several thousands (likely more) of rounds. As a turn-key, let's go shooting package it's good value.

PS: The Jabberwock, don't change those grips! I replaced my factory grips with other factory grips. Browning makes great grips!

grips

devilsbite fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 10, 2010

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Insane Totoro posted:

Looks good to me, but wouldn't it be better long-term to start off with a much better scope for a little more money?

Or am I looking at much more pricey scope for the same level of quality?

I'd stick with this rifle, MARK II-BV for $300- This .22 LR features a brown laminate Monte Carlo-style stock under a blued receiver and heavy target barrel. No sights; scope bases installed.

Plus BSA Sweet 22 Rimfire Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm Side Focus Duplex for $170 ($125 at Midway) in a set of rings, $30.

This'd be hot poo poo for $500.

verify ring height before ordering/purchasing!!

edit: I'm with DJExile, even "cheap" scopes are made pretty well now a days. I own several that have given me years of service on centerfire and rimfire rifles. Haven't had one die yet. In good faith I have to extol the virtues of my Simmons 8 Point 3-9x40; it's been a great hunting scope. Both my Simmons scopes stay bright and clear long after legal hunting light and have adjusted well to a new zero.

devilsbite fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 10, 2010

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Went to the Gun & Knife Show with The Old Guy yesterday. Had an awesome time. Made sweet, sweet finger love to a 3" Bearcat with bird's head grips. So tiny, so solid...if only it wasn't $$RAPE$$

Also LOVED a Buckmark spacegun with threaded short barrel (4"?) and URX grips. So solid a handshake, felt like the lightweight fun-gun .22 I need.

I'm going to refrain from bitching about ammo prices by revealing The Old Guy picked up a Ruger 77/44 in stainless and camo synthetic. Awesome shooter, kinda spendy to feed though.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Look very closely at the ejector next time you pick one up. They had to cut it in such a way that it would fit around the base pin due to the length of the barrel, and it made for a sharp as gently caress little piece sticking out by the end of the barrel that just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Interesting, are you talking about just the 3" or the standard Bearcat as well? Doesn't really matter but it makes a good excuse to have The Old Guy bring it along next time!

Yea, Cyrano4747, that's gonna happen. At least you got a good shooter for cheap, no?

DJ: got married, herniated a disc in my back, changed jobs a couple times. Life stuff. Been lurking on and off for the past year. Finally getting my rear end back to a range makes me want to share with you goobers. do we still call each other ChuckleFucks?

The Old Guy (my dad, not lover), has a bunch of new stuff and was asking about shooting with "those guys from The Internet". We've found a good, new, fairly quiet indoor range in Dorr Michigan called Center Shot.

Group shoot would be easy to arrange. And I won't get married at the wrong time again.

Indoor / 22lr shoot in the Southern Lower?

devilsbite fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 17, 2014

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

So, two things. The 10/22 is almost done!!! I suck at Snapchat.

Came across a 4x Simmons cheapo scope laying around and splurged $20 on low Leupold rings. Have a picture.

Since I'm the curious type with a terrible memory I tore it down quickly and found I'd pillar bed the action & stock but had botched the cap. The barrel is bedded (1"ish) just in front of the action, not truly free floated.

Looks like I'll finish off my stealth ultra yet. (to do it right I still need to do the JB Weld trick; no more slop!).

Will be taking my nephew for his first range trip this Sunday. It's going to be a rimfire weekend!

eta: Heggins (sp?) Flip: Hey, DJ, remember that time, at that goon shoot, when you let that one off? Yea, that one.

The Heggins Flip is good times! Beware of flipping a spring with some age/heavy use; new ones are cheap.

devilsbite fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 7, 2014

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Anyways, looking for a semiauto pistol that's new production and less than $400. What's so bad about the Neos again?

I frequently think about picking up a new LR auto for general range fuckery and while I already have one I keep coming back to the Buckmark.

So, Buckmark. With the threaded barrel.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

My dad has a Model 90 in 22 short that is awesome fun! To think of all the squirrels and cans that fell to it warms my black heart. It also recently introduced a 12 year old to shooting.

Taurus made some nice 62 clones, the later ones dropping in quality. Rossi as well made some nice 62s that should be within most budgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Love the info on local markets and what to look out for. West Michigan sees a good number of cool old 22lr guns at affordable prices. The last gun show I attended (about 2-3 months ago) had several browning autos from Belgium and Japan. Cheapest one was $250 and would have made a great shooter.

Gander Mountain is having a "gun store" one-up-manship race with Cabelas, so there is a decent used market at retail. I've seen a lot of cool, old .22lr rifles from single shot to bolts on the racks.

I was given an old Stevens 76A in parts; the trigger assembly in a zip-lock bag, frozen up by old WD-40. It was lacking a front sight post but I got it 100% functional before tearing it all down again. Think I may have all the parts around somewhere, may have broken a spring...

Old / cheap / beater / long rifle guns are awesome!

On a side note, anybody have experience with the little Browning .22lr 1911 clones? My dad and I handled one the other day and he's thinking of picking one up at the next show.