Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

mooyashi's wild Nethack ride :allears:

Nethack hates the player with a vengeance. It's possible within the game mechanics to prepare for pretty much any eventuality, eventually, but many of your characters are going to straight up die fairly early on. I would argue it's funnier for it to happen with a gnome town Juiblex or a dungeon level five water demon than stumbling into a spike trap, which was poisoned, you die... You can hit 10s every few steps and probably won't fall into a poisoned pit, but oh look, we spawned 5 ants behind you! etc. Nethack is a silly game from a sillier time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rappaport posted:

mooyashi's wild Nethack ride :allears:

Nethack hates the player with a vengeance. It's possible within the game mechanics to prepare for pretty much any eventuality, eventually, but many of your characters are going to straight up die fairly early on. I would argue it's funnier for it to happen with a gnome town Juiblex or a dungeon level five water demon than stumbling into a spike trap, which was poisoned, you die... You can hit 10s every few steps and probably won't fall into a poisoned pit, but oh look, we spawned 5 ants behind you! etc. Nethack is a silly game from a sillier time.

Eh, poison resist is another one of those things that's pretty easy to get early, so you will die to the occasional random bullshit spike trap and bad roll, but it's not going to be on a character you've really invested much time into. Ants and stuff are a bit rougher - there are a few weird jumps in the difficulty of monsters when you hit certain breakpoints and soldier ants are right on one of those points, so it's easy to be breezing along and just suddenly get wrecked by normal spawns. That's just one of those things where you just kind of have to learn which monsters are unusually dangerous for when they start to show up.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
The e-word was sort of the go-to solution for early-game ants. Now it's more of a bug out or dig deep in your bag situation. Pre-medusa nethack has branches for a reason, I assume. The same thing applies to bones, overrun minetown, etc.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Eh, poison resist is another one of those things that's pretty easy to get early, so you will die to the occasional random bullshit spike trap and bad roll, but it's not going to be on a character you've really invested much time into. Ants and stuff are a bit rougher - there are a few weird jumps in the difficulty of monsters when you hit certain breakpoints and soldier ants are right on one of those points, so it's easy to be breezing along and just suddenly get wrecked by normal spawns. That's just one of those things where you just kind of have to learn which monsters are unusually dangerous for when they start to show up.

Sure, eating all the good corpses is a good idea, but what I tried to get at was if it isn't poison spikes or ants (or BEEEEEEEEEEEEES), it could be a nymph yoinking something, stone trap getting your pet, or whatever arguably tedious thing in the early game that destroys low level characters. More unexpected encounters are funnier, is all :) Conversely, if you make it to the Castle and have >50% of your ascension kit on hand, you've kind of already won that character and it's just a matter of paying attention as you slog through the end-game. Nethack isn't really balanced, and as you point out a bigger hurdle is gaining meta-game knowledge, be it through spoilers or dying a billion times.

I never learned to use the e-word even before 3.6 :ohdear: Run away, run away...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure the vast majority of my early NetHack deaths were to soldier ants and mumakil.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

precision posted:

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of my early NetHack deaths were to soldier ants and mumakil.

Soldier ants :argh:

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

mfcrocker posted:

Soldier ants :argh:

Without a doubt the very first thing I pick if I stumble across a scroll of genocide in the first few DLs. Rolling the dice on B/U/C, but when are you really not gambling a little early game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thanks NetHack for teaching me the plural of Mumak through brute force :unsmith:

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://alt.org/nethack/topdeaths.html

at some point jackels passed solder ants as top nao death

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hahaha who gets killed by a jackal

I'm guessing that happened because of the "recent" surge in interest in roguelikes and a bunch of new players because seriously... hahaha.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

mooyashi posted:

Without a doubt the very first thing I pick if I stumble across a scroll of genocide in the first few DLs. Rolling the dice on B/U/C, but when are you really not gambling a little early game

:eng99:

Come on man, L, h or go home

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Rappaport posted:

What if you, yourself, are an h, though

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

zonohedron posted:

You deserve what you get IMO

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zonohedron posted:

This is NetHack man, you gotta live on the edge

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Rappaport posted:

Trying to live long enough to see one to be frank. If I'm a high enough CL or low enough DL sure; I'm talking "oops I walked down the stairs and there are three ghosts, five soldier ants and big feral pets"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

precision posted:

Hahaha who gets killed by a jackal

I'm guessing that happened because of the "recent" surge in interest in roguelikes and a bunch of new players because seriously... hahaha.
Every commonly-occurring early spawn ranks pretty high on the list, just because even the highest rank isn't even 1% of deaths. That's just an artifact of grouping poo poo like that. Like ascending just barely misses being in the top ten, being 0.039% less common than getting killed by a fox.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Yeah, definitely died more than once before a hundred turns from having a low HP character fall into a pit and get owned by a jackal or a newt or a goblin or some poo poo. Haven't had a grid bug kill me... yet.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Etch with my finger. Elbereth. The dingo turns to flee. The dingo bites. The dingo bites. You die.

I wasn't overburdened. He was hitting me once a turn four turns in a row. How is writing elbereth now somehow even worse than tapping the wait or search button?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
elbereth is basically unusable in 3.6.0 with the changes they made to it. event burnt engravings are instantly degraded

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

want to play a version of this game that makes floating eyes bright pink so they don't just stand in dark corridors and end early runs because my sad old eyes are bad and hurt.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Krinkle posted:

want to play a version of this game that makes floating eyes bright pink so they don't just stand in dark corridors and end early runs because my sad old eyes are bad and hurt.

Nethack4 is the version for you!

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Krinkle posted:

This was an Interhack feature I really miss. Interhack drove up my playspeed and ascension rate a lot by acting as a sanity check in various ways.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Man I installed a Linux partition on my laptop in college to play with interhack. It was that good.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Having a purple worm as a pet is insanely fun. What is the clear downside this must have?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's going to die to the first cockatrice it meets.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

mooyashi posted:

Having a purple worm as a pet is insanely fun. What is the clear downside this must have?

Losing the stuff that would have been dropped. Also, it will eventually eat something that will petrify/polymorph/levelport it.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Cursed scroll of genocide + means of charming = fun times on the Astral plane.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

moller posted:

Losing the stuff that would have been dropped. Also, it will eventually eat something that will petrify/polymorph/levelport it.

Is this a 3.6 thing? I'm on 3.4.3 and loot remains...

moller
Jan 10, 2007

mooyashi posted:

Is this a 3.6 thing? I'm on 3.4.3 and loot remains...

Hrm, no, I must have just been misremembering, or thinking of corpses rather than loot. Although do you really wanna use that silver saber after it's sped through Fido's digestive tract?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you have a magic whistle then a trapper or lurker above makes an even better pet than a purple worm because it can be summoned on command and won't wander off and eat a chameleon while you're not paying attention (t's go into hiding and don't move until something steps on them).

The best thing about pet t's or purple worms is that if you feed them wraiths to max their level (easy in the VotD) they can instakill many of the toughest enemies, including Rodney.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
So far it's just been wrecking Minetown. I already managed to stumble on a luckstone, any reason to go deeper at less than 10 level?

Actually I guess that's the annoying thing, let me kill something every once in a while

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

mooyashi posted:

So far it's just been wrecking Minetown. I already managed to stumble on a luckstone, any reason to go deeper at less than 10 level?

Actually I guess that's the annoying thing, let me kill something every once in a while

You might find a bag of holding from the random tool spawn and the gems are nice. I try to avoid it unless i have MR though, i've blown up too many Mithril armors in that drat place.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I have got to stop summoning demons in Minetown

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
the junethack website for this year is up, registrations open may 29. hoping to get a couple ascensions done this year

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rappaport posted:

On the other hand, leaving a bones file of Gnome Town with Juiblex in it :allears:

Jubilex is push over and an easy for a low-level character to get a free experience level. He envelops you, you use a wand of digging, which causes him to expunge you, and he is at 1hp so if you hit him with anything, he dies. Yeenoghu is the mean one since his Magic Missile Swarm can actually kill high level characters if they don't have Magic Resistance, and even then it can do up to ~49 damage i think.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Jubilex is push over and an easy for a low-level character to get a free experience level. He envelops you, you use a wand of digging, which causes him to expunge you, and he is at 1hp so if you hit him with anything, he dies. Yeenoghu is the mean one since his Magic Missile Swarm can actually kill high level characters if they don't have Magic Resistance, and even then it can do up to ~49 damage i think.

Yes, but knowing this without spoilers or having met Juiblex before, good luck. Also your low level character has to have some manner of curing the disease he gives when he engulfs you. :ohdear:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Rappaport posted:

Yes, but knowing this without spoilers or having met Juiblex before, good luck. Also your low level character has to have some manner of curing the disease he gives when he engulfs you. :ohdear:

I won't say I've never died to Juiblex, because I think my blessed unihorn poo poo the bed one time, but usually that's enough of a safeguard to get past the sickness. I think it's like a 66% chance to work, and you have several turns to fix it, so the odds are good. If you're super paranoid, just chug a potion once he's dead.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wolfechu posted:

I won't say I've never died to Juiblex, because I think my blessed unihorn poo poo the bed one time, but usually that's enough of a safeguard to get past the sickness. I think it's like a 66% chance to work, and you have several turns to fix it, so the odds are good. If you're super paranoid, just chug a potion once he's dead.

I forget if this is a vanilla or SLASH'EM thing, but doesn't a blessed unihorn also have a higher success rate if you enhance it? I swear I remember it being much higher than 66%.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I forget if this is a vanilla or SLASH'EM thing, but doesn't a blessed unihorn also have a higher success rate if you enhance it? I swear I remember it being much higher than 66%.

thats a slashem thing. sickness is a major trouble if you can pray though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah, it's in a lot of forks, but not vanilla. The 66% is off the top of my head, but blessings does improve the chance.

• Locked thread