Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karphead
Apr 20, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I polymorphed my pet dog into a liche, got it all the way up to arch lich then had the fucker get hit by a black light and go nuts, forcing me to run away to the next level where I promptly got killed by an energy vortex god drat.

that's what you get for letting your pet do all the work :P

unless you were trying for a pacifist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I didn't think that monsters were affected by hallucination. Liches aren't all that great as pets anyway, their big dangers are cursing and monster summoning, which they don't do when they're tame.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

stubblyhead posted:

I didn't think that monsters were affected by hallucination. Liches aren't all that great as pets anyway, their big dangers are cursing and monster summoning, which they don't do when they're tame.

Yeah hallucinating pets are a bad thing. I've had a pacifist bought down to 1hp by his own archon after a black light exploded. Luckily intelligent monsters will pick up and use unicorn horns, so once they find one of those it's no longer an issue.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
I had to wish for a Magicbane, use remove curse trick to get holy water, and didn't get any protection while in minetown. That doesn't bother me, luck of the RNG. What bothers me is way back at the beginning in the mines I prayed once to restore health because I didn't want to retreat.

Sometimes conducts fall into your lap and sometimes they don't.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

YAFAwwww:smith:

code:
Bort13 the Curator St:18/** Dx:22 Co:18 In:22 Wi:22 Ch:18 Lawful S:3122989

Astral Plane $:675 HP:201(326) Pw:47(312) AC:-32 Xp:30/105029949 T:90638 Stun

Your inventory
  Amulets
  i - a blessed amulet of reflection (being worn)
  z - an uncursed amulet of life saving
  Y - the blessed Amulet of Yendor

Weapons
  w - the blessed rustproof +4 Frost Brand (weapon in hand)
  S - a blessed +5 silver saber (wielded in other hand)
  W - the blessed rustproof +4 Sunsword
  Armor
  p - a blessed +2 gray dragon scale mail (being worn)

y - a blessed greased fireproof +2 robe (being worn)
  K - a blessed fireproof +3 pair of speed boots (being worn)
  N - a blessed fireproof +4 pair of gauntlets of dexterity (being worn)
  Z - an uncursed greased rustproof +4 helm of brilliance (being worn)

Final attributes
  You were piously aligned
  Your alignment was  463

You were fire resistant
  You were cold resistant
  You were sleep resistant
  You were disintegration-resistant
  You were shock resistant
  You were poison resistant
  You were magic-protected
  You were stunned

You were telepathic
  You had automatic searching
  You were stealthy
  You had slower digestion
  You were protected
  You were very fast
  You had reflection
  You were wielding two weapons at once

You were extremely lucky (13)
  You had extra luck
  Good luck did not time out for you
  You are dead 

Spells known in the end
      Name               Level    Category     Fail
  a - light                  1    divination     0%

b - knock                  1    matter         0%
  c - detect treasure        4    divination     0%
  d - magic missile          2    attack         0%
  e - clairvoyance           3    divination     0%
  f - cure sickness          3    healing        0%

g - create monster         2    clerical       0%
  h - extra healing          3    healing        0%
  i - identify               3    divination     0%
  j - jumping                1    escape         0%
  k - slow monster           2    enchantment    0%

l - detect monsters        1    divination     0%
  m - dig                    5    matter         0%
  n - remove curse           3    clerical       0%
  o - healing                1    healing        0%
  p - charm monster          3    enchantment    0%

q - confuse monster        2*   enchantment    0%
  r - detect food            2    divination     0%
  s - invisibility           4*   escape         0%
  t - drain life             2    attack         0%
  u - cure blindness         2    healing        0%

v - stone to flesh         3    healing        0%
  w - restore ability        4*   healing        0%
  x - force bolt             1*   attack         0%
  y - sleep                  1*   enchantment    0%

Vanquished creatures
  Asmodeus
  Baalzebub
  Orcus
  Juiblex
  The Wizard of Yendor (8 times)
  a high priest
  5 mastodons
  Medusa
  Croesus
  8 krakens
  7 iron golems
  a ki-rin

11 storm giants
  8 glass golems
  4 balrogs
  The Minion of Huhetotl
  20 purple worms
  17 kobold zombies
  11 newts
  4015 creatures vanquished.

Voluntary challenges
  You genocided 6 types of monsters

You polymorphed 268 items
  You never changed form
  You used 7 wishes
  You did not wish for any artifacts

Your skills at the end
  Fighting Skills
    two weapon combat  [Basic]
    riding             [Basic]

Weapon Skills
    dagger             [Basic]
    pick-axe           [Expert]
    long sword         [Basic]
    saber              [Expert]
    sling              [Basic]
    dart               [Basic]

whip               [Basic]
  Spellcasting Skills
    attack spells      [Basic]
    healing spells     [Basic]
    divination spells  [Expert]
    matter spells      [Basic]

Latest messages
  You hit it.

The potion misses it.
  The vial crashes on your head and breaks into shards.
  Something seems to be holding you.
  Pestilence reaches out, and you feel fever and chills.
  You feel deathly sick.
  Pestilence touches you!

You feel much worse.
  Pestilence touches you!
  You stagger...
  You feel much worse.

Pestilence touches you!
  The priest of Moloch casts a spell!
  The priest of Moloch summons insects!
  You feel much worse.
  Pestilence touches you!

You die from your illness.

Goodbye bort13 the Archeologist...
You were poisoned in The Astral Plane with 3122922 points,
and 675 pieces of gold, after 90638 moves.
Killer: Pestilence (with the Amulet)

You were level 30 with a maximum of 326 hit points when you were poisoned.

No  Points     Name                                                   Hp [max]

*      3122922  bort13-Arc-Hum-Mal-Law was poisoned on the Astral              

Plane.  Poisoned by Pestilence (with the Amulet).     201 [326]

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

karphead posted:

that's what you get for letting your pet do all the work :P

unless you were trying for a pacifist

I was a monk and my liche touched me and made my gloves vanish :(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

bort posted:

Pestilence :smith:

No unicorn horn? Bummer.

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

ToxicFrog posted:

No ring of free action? Bummer.

Phooney
Dec 24, 2008

I polymorphed my pet dog into a liche, got it all the way up to arch lich then had the fucker get hit by a black light and go nuts, forcing me to run away to the next level where I promptly got killed by an energy vortex god drat.

This happened to MY arch lich as well!

One moment I'm happily creating monsters to sacrifice. Next thing I know, a black light exploads on my arch lich, he turns around and kills my other pet, a Minotaur, and then kills me as I basically wasn't paying enough attention and didn't see that my lich had gone rogue.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Aah, I missed the "something seems to be holding you" message.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

While engulfed by a energy/fire vortex and lacking the appropriate resistance you will take passive damage as a reaction to your attacks. However the reaction only applies to melee attacks, so you can just repeatedly throw any weapon in any direction to damage it without being hurt. Feel free to use your main weapon because it will land at your feet inside the vortex. Allowing you to pick it up and throw it as many times as necessary,

You'll still have to deal with the vortex's regular attack, but it's negligible by the time you can find those vortexes.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Must be the most frustrating thing ever to die on the planes. I also realized I just doomed myself by saying that.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
A question of strategy for you guys, how do you ID potions/scrolls/books if you don't have identify already known?

I mean, you need to learn identify somehow, but do you just start randomly reading scrolls till you learn it? I have taken to dipping weapons into potions before randomly quaffing them just in case, that's seemed decently safe for the most part, seems to have saved myself from some nasty surprises.

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

KGBAgent185 posted:

A question of strategy for you guys, how do you ID potions/scrolls/books if you don't have identify already known?

I mean, you need to learn identify somehow, but do you just start randomly reading scrolls till you learn it? I have taken to dipping weapons into potions before randomly quaffing them just in case, that's seemed decently safe for the most part, seems to have saved myself from some nasty surprises.
This guide has pretty much everything you need to know. Basically, price-ID stuff first so you have a general idea of what it can and can't do.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Darth l33t posted:

This guide has pretty much everything you need to know. Basically, price-ID stuff first so you have a general idea of what it can and can't do.

Awesome, a very useful spoiler. Thanks!

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

KGBAgent185 posted:

http://nethack.roy.org/clippy/clippy.pl

For all your price iding needs. Except for sucker pricing. You can apply potions to see if you have oil or acid (both are 250 base price). Oil ignites, no other potion does. Nymphs often drop potions of object detection (50% chance I think?) so if you get a few of the same potions from nymphs you can ID those. Clear potions are always water.

Dip a dagger into potions to check for poly, then dip a unihorn to check for blindness, Hallucination, sickness and confusion. (Sickness becomes Fruit Juice, the rest become water.) Hell, once you have poly id'd and a unihorn you can just quaff potions to find out what they are. Just stand on a burnt elbereth inside of a locked closet and you should be fine from 99% of monsters incase you quaff paralyze.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

In the worst case (no shops), or if you don't like price-IDing, identify is nominally the most common scroll (in practice it tends to be tied with teleport) - so once you have a suitable stockpile of scrolls, the two biggest piles are likely to be ID and teleport. Altar-drop them to make sure of the BCU and try them out.

This is of course somewhat risky, as it's always possible for the RNG to screw with you by giving you no ID scrolls and four scrolls of punishment or something, but it at least gives you a starting point.

(also, it's possible to write scrolls and spellbooks "blind", that is to say, without having IDed that particular one; for most classes it's around a 1/3 chance at best, but for wizards with max luck it's better than 90%, so it's not uncommon for a wizard to write themselves a book of identify, if they find a magic marker before getting a reliable source of ID)

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 18, 2009

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I a bad person for scumming wizards until I get a ring of slow digestion?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BurgerQuest posted:

Am I a bad person for scumming

Yes.

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

ahahaha tyeaa smoke weed lick a nigga fartjohnson chet etc blablab dmx guns are strong WOOF WOOF mameshibaaa~

flatluigi posted:

Yes.
Startscumming aint scumming

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Definitions may differ, but the implication is that if he doesn't get a =oSD from the very start, he won't stand a chance. Unfortunately, he is probably right as long as he thinks it. Handicapping yourself like that will not improve your game very quickly. Personally, I never quit a game. I like the challenge of taking what the RNG gives, and hoping for the best. You might not get the perfect start inventory, but who is to say what you will find on level 2?

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

BurgerQuest posted:

Am I a bad person for scumming wizards until I get a ring of slow digestion?

Starving to death either means you're not eating enough corpses or you're not descending fast enough. There's LOTS of food rations and monster corpses out there for you to eat, way more than you could ever need, but you need to go down the dungeon to find them.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

You might not get the perfect start inventory, but who is to say what you will find on level 2?

Sartak, after having played through your exact dlvl 1 with your exact RNG seed.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Vanadium posted:

Sartak, after having played through your exact dlvl 1 with your exact RNG seed.

Quiet, you.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Another question, once you read a spellbook, do you need it anymore? I had thought that they disappeared when you read them like scrolls, but yesterday I read and found CLairvoyance and it was still in my inventory.

I still gotta look up how to cast spells though... Scrolls and books are easy. :v:

E: At least I know I'm getting better.... went from getting between 200-500 points in a game :rolleyes: to 1500+ and my last game almost 3k.

Sad since I've been playing on and off (Way more off than on) for a year and a half.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 18, 2009

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

KGBAgent185 posted:

Another question, once you read a spellbook, do you need it anymore? I had thought that they disappeared when you read them like scrolls, but yesterday I read and found CLairvoyance and it was still in my inventory.

I still gotta look up how to cast spells though... Scrolls and books are easy. :v:

After 20,000 turns you forget the spell and whenever you cast it, regardless of fail rate it stuns, confuses you or both. This is a lot more useful than you think since if you can read an easy level 1 spellbook early on and have a guaranteed confusion source by the time you reach the points when you need it. The spell shows up in your spellbook with a * next to it.

I usually name my spellbooks with the turn I read them and leave them in a stash.

EDIT:
Spellbooks will eventually blank when read too much, but if the spellbook blanks you are taking far too long for any regular game. Well, assuming you don't polymorph the books. You cast spells by using Z and then choose the letter.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 18, 2009

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I haven't really starved to death since I learned these few tips:

1) Eat every corpse that isn't a mummy, zombie, cockatrice, mold, bat, werebeast, self-race, and, if you lack a means of dealing with the potential strength hit, poisonous. And, if you lack control/don't want itis, a teleporting beast.
2) Keep and store lichen corpses. They're a great source of an early ration analogue, since they never rot away.
3) Never even pick up a corpse unless it's a lichen or lizard corpse. That way you know they're fresh, and there's no reason to pick them up anyway.
4) Keep every food item (except eggs, I think they go bad, so eat them right away) until you need it.
5) A little hungry and not a dwarf? Head to the mines for a few turns.
6) While some people say pray when weak to get your stomach filled, I find this always robs me of a needed prayer just when I need it. Then again, if I was being more careful, I probably wouldn't have needed to pay in that desperate non-food situation.

Starving to death is a perfect indicator that you're lacking some fundamental piece of knowledge of how to progress through the game. Don't try to avoid it by scumming a =oSD; learn to deal with it legit!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BARON BONGHITS posted:

Startscumming aint scumming

Yeah, but it's cheesy, and not at all necessary. Eating corpses is way less of a hassle than starting over dozens of times to give the RNG a workout.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
e: Never mind, I figured it out

Golbez posted:

I haven't really starved to death since I learned these few tips:

This comes in handy, too.

Eating Corpses for Food and Intrinsics

VVVV thanks :)

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 18, 2009

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)
n, then the number of times to repeat, then the command.

Example: n20s searches for 20 turns

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I'm starting to get how to survive in the dungeons, but I was wondering what's the right order to do things as to not go down too fast and get owned by horrible spawning monsters.

Once you get at the gnomish mine fork, should you keep going down and ignore it for now? What's at the bottom of the mines after Minetown? What's waiting for me at the bottom of the main dungeon if I don't go into the gnomish mines?

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

tripwood posted:

I'm starting to get how to survive in the dungeons, but I was wondering what's the right order to do things as to not go down too fast and get owned by horrible spawning monsters.

Once you get at the gnomish mine fork, should you keep going down and ignore it for now? What's at the bottom of the mines after Minetown? What's waiting for me at the bottom of the main dungeon if I don't go into the gnomish mines?

My order for most characters is:
Start -> Sokoban -> Mines -> Mine's End. I sometimes dip into the mines early if I need an altar/want Dwarvish Mitrhil. I rarely ever do Mine's End before Sokoban because of the stupid amounts of ways I can screw up sokoban, even with spoilers and most levels memorized.

This wont take you beyond dlvl 11.

EDIT:
Mine's End is after Minetown. It has a guaranteed luckstone and some other goodies depending on which version you get. Its after some more mine levels, it'll take you to about dlvl 10-11 before Mine's End shows up. This is also where Polymorph traps can spawn, so prepare to break your poo poo and begin to fume like a volcano about to erupt if you don't have Magic Resistance.

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

tripwood posted:

I generally make a try for Minetown first, then head toward Sokoban. If I find a dark level on the way, I abort and finish Sokoban first before resuming. In any case, I don't try for Mine's End until Sokoban is done.

And yeah, I don't wear a cloak or suit I'd really miss until I have magic resistance.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Can someone with a patched-up version of Nethack (menucolors, sort_loot etc. - as close to NAO functionality as possible) please upload a copy of their nethack folder on rapidshare or something? I've been loving with compiling my own version for about two hours, and I can't get it to accept one patch, let alone the 10+ that make NAO so lovely to play on.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Death of Rats posted:

Can someone with a patched-up version of Nethack (menucolors, sort_loot etc. - as close to NAO functionality as possible) please upload a copy of their nethack folder on rapidshare or something? I've been loving with compiling my own version for about two hours, and I can't get it to accept one patch, let alone the 10+ that make NAO so lovely to play on.

What changes does NAO have? That diff file is going to be a pita to read through, and I'm not sure I'd understand the implications of the code changes (being unfamiliar with the nethack codebase). We've got a server running at work so we can watch each other's games instead of sharing screen shots when we want advice (we'd use nao, but apparently we like seeing our names in the top 10), and I don't mind patching our copy, but I really don't know the difference.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
OK, so I made it to the Medusa level for the first time, and I'm stuck. I don't have any levitation, water breathing, or ice stuff to get across the water. I do have some wands of digging, which the wiki says should help me get there, but I haven't the slightest idea how. I tried just winging it because I have telepathy and can spot some of the sneaky fish before they can get to me, but my first dip in the drink almost caused me to drown. Any ideas?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
You can dig down from the room where you start and come down into the Castle level, then come back up the stairs into Medusa's chamber. Just be sure you have reflection when you do.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
IIRC, you can dig down through Medusa's level and continue on your way to the Castle, where there will be a wand of wishing; last resort, you can use it to wish up some boots of levitation.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Awesome, I'll try that when I get home. I already wished myself some silver dragon scale armor earlier, so I'm all set on reflection. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!
You can also dig down and go back up. Medusa is by the downstairs. She's near a Perseus statue that has a good chance to contain levitation boots.

• Locked thread