Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Social Animal posted:

Can you sacrifice corpses on the high altars or are they only to be used for the amulet?

I once killed the High Priest of Lugh and sacrificed him on his own altar on account of Lugh being a punk. I then sacrificed a white unicorn on Birgit's altar to attempt to convert at the last moment, but it didn't go as planned. She still got the amulet though, mostly cause her wide-angle disintegration beam precluded me from making it to the chaotic altar in one piece with a helm of opposite alignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Yeah, a disintegration beam definitely spells black dragon, and Elbereth has no effect until the monster is adjacent to you. If the dragon was in a dark room or hallway, you'd never see him without telepathy, since they're cold-blooded.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

BrockStar posted:

Auto-pickup is actually really useful for saving time and precious turns, so long as you edit it to not pickup everything in the game.

Yeah, autopickup is very useful in a lot of ways, but the fact that the default config file turns it on by default with pickup_types set to all is loving retarded. Seriously, statues? I never understood why they would do that.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Smash Daisaku posted:

You should definitely keep exploring downwards. In fact, you might want to go down and clear out the castle to get the wishing wand and all that and then come back up. Not only should that get you to level 14 (or close to it), but you'll have the wishing wand as well, and you may even find an altar on the way down.

Your weapon as a wizard won't be too important since you'll be fingering things and magic missile-ing what you can't finger (You should try to write magic missile if you have enough marker left to do so). Still, it's worth getting Magicbane since it's a pretty decent melee weapon, lets you engrave Elbereth, and absorbs curses.

In the mean time though, I would grab a dagger and use that as a melee weapon. You're going to be one seriously unhappy camper if that quarterstaff gets cursed.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

God I'm even worse at this than stone soup, I just got killed by a gnome king, before that I kicked down a shop door and instantly got killed by the shopkeeper behind it.

What did you learn from your experiences?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

MarionetteOwl posted:

Actually, this can be an excellent idea, so long as the genocide scroll is blessed. loving mind flayers.

Mind flayers and gnomes are different classes though? Also, wait until the fun starts when he's playing a gnomish healer. :haw: Also reflection doesn't do poo poo against wands of striking, which I believe shopkeepers are guaranteed to have.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

The Wensey posted:

I have never played any kind of game remotely like this. The only adventure-RPG's I've played were Morrowind and Oblivion.

Never used ASCII graphics or any kind of command-line interface before, or played DnD or even seen a 20-sided dice, virtual or otherwise.

Will this game rape me in the rear end if I try and play it?

Yes.

(you should still give it a try)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Pay attention when you see the message "Closed for inventory" written in front of a locked door in the dungeon (unless you were killed in Mine Town, where kicking down any doors is generally a Bad Idea). This too was one of my first deaths in Nethack. And even when you do get early reflection or MR to resist the wand of striking, Shopkeepers still hit pretty hard physically.

It is worth noting though that if you can unlock the door in some fashion, the shopkeeper doesn't mind and you can buy/steal to your heart's content.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

Do you actually have to unlock the door or would it be fine to teleport in/out?

I'm sure that would be fine too, but I must admit I've never actually tried. I don't think the "Closed for Inventory" message really does anything but create the shop with a locked door, and he'll get pissed at you any time you kick the door down.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Also check spaces with stuff on them. The second stairs can be easy to miss if the level is really cluttered. Check under statues in particular.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I didn't think that monsters were affected by hallucination. Liches aren't all that great as pets anyway, their big dangers are cursing and monster summoning, which they don't do when they're tame.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Definitions may differ, but the implication is that if he doesn't get a =oSD from the very start, he won't stand a chance. Unfortunately, he is probably right as long as he thinks it. Handicapping yourself like that will not improve your game very quickly. Personally, I never quit a game. I like the challenge of taking what the RNG gives, and hoping for the best. You might not get the perfect start inventory, but who is to say what you will find on level 2?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Vanadium posted:

Sartak, after having played through your exact dlvl 1 with your exact RNG seed.

Quiet, you.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Fury1671 posted:

Cursed levitation boots. It sucks to have to waste a prayer on decursing them because you are retarded and had your whole inventory blanked because you forgot to put on your levitation ring before dumping the trolls body into the moat at the castle. Oh and then having a soldier blow the ring up with lightning.

Not that I would know anything about that of course.

Try floating over a sink next time.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

welcome posted:

Note to self: NAME wands immediately after engrave identifying them. I've never had a wand of cold do this :mad:
code:
                                --------
                              ---.|....|
                              |.....`..|----------
                              |.-...-``|.|.......|
                              |...-....`.|.......|
                              |.-....|...|..s....|
                              |....-.--.-|...<...|
                              |.....[....|.......|
                              |.--...|...|.......|
                              |....-.|---|o.N....|
                              ---..L.-----------+|
                                |.`@>...`))..^^^.|
                                ------------------

Welcome the Thaumaturge   St:11 Dx:14 Co:16 In:18 Wi:12 Ch:10  Neutral S:8594
Dlvl:3  $:770 HP:0(55) Pw:81(81) AC:4  Xp:8/1891 T:6981 Blind

If it's any consolation, that's probably a chameleon. You have (or had) a decent shot of getting upstairs to wait a bit before it ported in any nasties.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

welcome posted:

No it was definitely an arch-lich. I zapped a wand I thought was cold at a monster behind a boulder in the pit corridor. (It was polymorph.)

Ahh, I see. I had assumed that it was create monster. Have you thought about using 0 for boulders, by the way? Makes sokoban much easier IMO. When you use ` it sometimes makes me think it's one space above where it actually is, making me push it against a wall.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Cy posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeesss my first ascension! I got some crazy luck:

code:
Vanquished creatures
  [b]Demogorgon[/b]

You killed Demogorgon on your first ascension? Wow, my hat goes off to you!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

McNerd posted:

On an unrelated note, is there a reason I've never seen a woodchuck? I've played for years and ascended several classes. Are they on a Quest level or something?

*ZOT*

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

whiskas posted:

I just had my fastest death.

Found a spell book 2 steps away from where I spawned in DL1, read it and apparently it was a book of teleport away. I teleported to some random part of the map beside a jackal that proceeded to rip me to shreds before I could respond.

Today I've also died by:
-Getting food poisoning by eating a rotten egg.
-Putting on an amulet of strangulation.
-Turning into a wererat after eating a wererat corpse and getting clawed to death by a kitten.

Teleporting is a random effect of failing to read a spellbook successfully. If the spellbook was actually teleport away, then that's purely coincidental. Hopefully you've learned a few things though; namely don't read unidentified spellbooks, don't eat eggs, don't wear unidentified amulets, and don't eat wererats!

Actually reading an unidentified spellbook is OK if you know it is blessed, because there's a 0% failure rate. Non-cursed amulets are mostly OK too, although I think there is a small chance of strangulation and restful sleep being generated non-cursed.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

KGBAgent185 posted:

You can't remove a non-cursed strangulation amulet? I thought the whole "It's Cursed" was the reason you can't remove it?

I was under the impression that non-cursed strangulation and restful sleep would curse themselves when worn, but it seems that only helms of opposite alignment, dunce caps, and loadstones do that. I thought that the unpleasant rings and amulets did too, but I was mistaken!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Yeah, there are enough lousy players on NAO that you'd just sort of blend in with the crowd. I'm only kidding of course, but go on and give it a try. You could also try #sacketyhack. It's a goon-centric channel, so there tends to be a bit less stupidness in there.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
A very general rule of thumb for what is safe to eat is, will my (starting) pet eat it? I think the only things they'll eat that will cause trouble for you are bats, cats/dogs, and humans (or whatever your species is). I don't think three forbidden things is too much to keep track of, and even cannibalism doesn't carry a tremendous penalty. You'll learn what is safe to eat with time, but to start with, let Fluffy be the Royal Food Taster.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
From the wiki:

The following corpses provide a chance (given) of gaining poison resistance, and are not dangerous to eat:
code:
Monster			Probability
black unicorn 		27%
blue jelly 		13%
brown mold 		3%
cave spider 		7%
centipede 		13%
flesh golem 		12%
golden naga 		67%
golden naga hatchling 	20%
gray unicorn 		27%
guardian naga hatchling	20%
pyrolisk 		20%
quasit 			20%
quivering blob	 	33%
red mold 		3%
red naga 		20%
red naga hatchling 	10%
shrieker 		20%
white unicorn 		27%
I generally wait until I have a unihorn as well, but sometimes you get lucky with a shrieker or brown mold.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

I lost a quite promising wizard (books of identify, fireball, etc) to starvation because there was a goddamned soldier ant guarding the way downstairs and I had no method of digging past him :(

I hope your starvation was due to repeated attempts to force bolt it to death.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Things learned: Mumaks can apparently spawn in packs of up to at least four, Nethack Gods still hate me, and I remembered why I quit playing last time (tedious sections).

Wow, really? I've never seen more than one at a time. Mumakil were one of my early banes when playing, back before I learned the value of descending slowly and waiting to get decent equipment before going too deep. I think the only q I've ever seen in packs are rothes.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Brosef Stalin posted:

Is it wrong that I look down on tilesets and yet still use the numpad?

No, I'm the same way. I'll never use hjkl or whatever the gently caress it is, but that's more due to the fact that I don't use a qwerty keyboard than anything.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Brosef Stalin posted:

Also Elbereth won't work on the priest, it doesn't work on humans.

I think his plan was to use Elbereth to keep the swarms of summoned insects away, rather than the priest himself.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Carados posted:

Wand of Locking. Seriously. Anything can outright murder you when you're naked no weapon. Make sure you lock the door.

I was about to say that ESP would be a nice thing to have as well, but I just noticed that he was doing it in sokoban, so if you lock the door, nothing can get in and since it's no-teleport, the nurses will never go away. Can't believe I never thought of that before.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Third Murderer posted:

The Sokoban zoo is where I usually do it, for these reasons. However, the nurses will still eventually vanish.

True enough, I don't guess there's anything you can do to prevent that. But it does beat the pants off of chasing them around the level when they blink away.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

..btt posted:

Vanquished creatures
an arch-lich (0 created)

How does this work, exactly?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Darth l33t posted:

Does it matter that he was trying to ascend naked in under 30k turns?

No. :colbert:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

McNerd posted:

Combined with the ten commands or so it takes to disrobe and rearm every time, this is a ridiculous hassle

You can actually remove everything you are wearing/wielding with a single command. Hit 'A' for the take stuff off menu; hit , to select all. Fun fact; this also allows you to remove your armor or shirt without removing the layers over it (like a cloak for instance).

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

McNerd posted:

But I like the idea of a magic take-your-underwear-off-through-your-pants spell, so I'll just let it stand.

I like it too. In fact I like it so much that I thought that feature was buggy and did exactly that. I did some testing in wizmode, and it took me like 11 turns to take off a hawaiian shirt with plate mail and a cloak on top of it, but it only took 2 to remove it with only a cloak, which is still one turn faster than doing things manually. I'm not much of a source diver, but can anyone verify that?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ThreeHams posted:

Edit: I could probably ascend right now (first one ever!) but I am being unbelievably paranoid. What am I probably forgetting?

Free action?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ThreeHams posted:

I know, I know... I'm just absolutely paranoid about waking up Rodney, and then realizing there's something I can't deal with.

Dude, you are way beyond set. Go do it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

factorialite posted:

Level 18: cross-aligned altar with priest. I'm thinking about killing him just to get a god drat altar.

Make sure you convert the altar first, you don't need the other god pissed at you as well.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Third Murderer posted:

Who the hell would wish for this crappy artifact?

Hey, it's a +5 rock! :buddy:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Kleedrac posted:

Real Valkyries wield Excalibur & Katana dual-wield style ;)

Grayswandir/silver saber

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

drat, that's an obscure reference even for people who play NetHack.

well i guess that one wasn't amethyst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sartak posted:

You're talking about core Perl OO, I'm talking about Moose. It's an extension of Perl's OO that focuses on metaprogramming and declarative syntax. It has roles (like Smalltalk's traits but even better) that no other language has yet.

Sorry about getting defensive, this just seems to come up every time that TAEB's implementation comes up.

Oh jesus god, you're a smalltalker too?

• Locked thread