Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Now this has gotten me back into the game. Rolled a new character on NAO - a barbarian, if I remember my pantheons and classtitles correctly.

I think I'll do this game without price-IDing.

...there's a coaligned altar on DL2.

I'm doomed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mewcenary posted:

Anyone want to share any particularly nice config files?

http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/ToxicFrog/ToxicFrog.nh343rc

There's mine. Notable features: autopickup amulets, rings, wands, potions, scrolls, books, gold; colours unidentified items white, uncursed items grey, cursed items red (or orange if equipped), blessed items light blue. Bags of holding, wands of cancellation and bags of tricks get to be a really obnoxious black on yellow to hopefully reduce occurrences of BoH vaporization.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Reflection will also work, and is much easier to acquire than disintegration resistance.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The main advantages to playing without tiles are that you can play on public servers like NAO, and you can see the entire map at once (which may not be possible with tiles, depending on tile size and screen size). If you're playing locally and feel comfortable with the field of view tiles give you, go for it; my own first ascension (a Valk) was using the tile interface.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The automatic log generation is a custom patch; if your version doesn't have that, the typical approach is to copy/paste from the game into a text file.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

The one linked in the OP as far as I know. The door diagonal thing was very annoying, I stick to ascii.

The official Nethack tilesets distinguish correctly; look, for example, at the screenshot in the OP (the doorway near the player is empty, but there's at least two other open-door ones on the map). Vulture's also works.

If by "the one linked in the OP" you mean the SA tileset, I believe others have mentioned here that it has issues.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Golbez posted:

Just started a local game as an elven wizard with a book of identify, ring of teleport control, wand of polymorph, and an altar on dlvl 1.

Any bets on how I'll screw this one up?

Edit: That didn't take long, dancing on a magic trap to get sacrifices for the altar and got a group of enemies I just couldn't handle, and no wand of digging. :(

Based on how my own game with a similar starting load went - killed by a mimic while your pet Master Lich is busy separating the shopkeeper from his hitpoints.

MarionetteOwl posted:

Zappy
Head deeper, IMO. Very few of my characters are ready to enter the Quest when they first get there. Stay alert; heading down may take you to the Big Room, which can be dangerous, and eventually will get you to Medusa's. Explore a bit more and you should hit XL14 with little difficulty, and then you can backtrack to the quest.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MarionetteOwl posted:

Alright, just got the Eye, and now I am seemingly unable to run out of power. I'm at -20 AC and have extrinsic reflection, MR, and speed. I can fling magic missiles and fingers like nobody's business, and I have Identify for support, all 3 spells have a 0% fail rate. Is there anything else I should make sure to get before making the dive into hell?

Edit: For instance, what would be a wizard's ideal end-game gear?

Gehennmon is made much less painful if you have Magic Mapping, but it's not strictly necessary. Fire resistance is, however.

JawnV6 posted:

I'm really not interested in using a tile set and feel increasingly retarded for discussing it, but isn't that because there's a wand on it?

There is, but even without the wand it shows up properly; look at "doorway", "open door" and "closed door" in the lower left of the tilemap.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

CAPTAIN DOOP posted:

Here's another "Interested in starting this game" post.

I've played before, very briefly. Kept starving.

Can you guys give some hints for useful commands and such that a new guy might overlook? Also some things to pay attention to? I couldn't absorb all of the read me file.

As far as food goes:
- eat corpses. Fresh kills (provided they aren't of undead) won't have started to rot, and you'll quickly learn which ones are naturally poisonous (hint: don't eat kobolds).
- #praying while Weak with hunger will re-food you; if you then wait until you're Weak again, you can safely #pray again and thus obviate the need for food entirely. Of course, this means you can't use prayer for other things (critically low on HP, food poisoning, turning to stone, etc)
- if you can make it to Sokoban (stairs going up on the level right below the Oracle of Delphi), it contains a lot of guaranteed food; Mine Town (via the Gnomish Mines, stairs leading down near the start of the game) is also likely to contain a food store

For general hints, discussions, and questions, popping into #nethack on freenode or #roguelikes on synirc is a good idea, too.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TendMyCannabis posted:

If my memory serves me right, there is a variable associated with pets that modifies how well they follow you around. This number decreases every turn and is improved by feeding it. I think its called rapport? Anyway, it makes trying to get your pet next to you to descend much easier. Magic whistles are also a godsend. Just (a)pply any whistle you get, the one that makes the strange sound will self id to the magic whistle.

"Apport", and it determines how likely your pet is to fetch items for you; see Eva's spoiler on tameness and apport. (Incidentally, this, not curse-testing, is why pets are awesome; you can easily steal an entire shop with no outlay other than a few apples or tripe rations, then sell the stuff you don't want back to get all the shopkeeper's gold, too.)

As for getting the pet to follow you - if it can see you, it'll follow you most of the time, so running away down a dark hall without giving it time to follow will tend to get it lost. Normal whistles will call your pet to you; magic whistles will teleport it to you instantly; leashes will force it to follow.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mine town also has a guaranteed priest, so if you haven't already donated for AC, you can do so there.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

bort posted:

Pestilence :smith:

No unicorn horn? Bummer.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Aah, I missed the "something seems to be holding you" message.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

In the worst case (no shops), or if you don't like price-IDing, identify is nominally the most common scroll (in practice it tends to be tied with teleport) - so once you have a suitable stockpile of scrolls, the two biggest piles are likely to be ID and teleport. Altar-drop them to make sure of the BCU and try them out.

This is of course somewhat risky, as it's always possible for the RNG to screw with you by giving you no ID scrolls and four scrolls of punishment or something, but it at least gives you a starting point.

(also, it's possible to write scrolls and spellbooks "blind", that is to say, without having IDed that particular one; for most classes it's around a 1/3 chance at best, but for wizards with max luck it's better than 90%, so it's not uncommon for a wizard to write themselves a book of identify, if they find a magic marker before getting a reliable source of ID)

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 18, 2009

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Eating results in stiffening, not instantly turning to stone, so if you're unencumbered and have a spare lizard corpse you could try it.

That said, just because you have two stacks of eggs doesn't mean one of them is cockatrice; in addition to generic food-eggs, randomly generated eggs can be from any oviparous monster, including most of DagsS; (dragons, ants, gargoyles, snakes, spiders, and eels, among others). In addition, any or all of them could be rotten.

The most reliable way to get cockatrice eggs is to polymorph into one, #sit to lay eggs, and store them in a container until they go dead (you don't want a cockatrice hatching as you ready the egg to throw!).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

rms posted:

:aaaaa: Does it for artifact wishing purpose, reduce the number of present artifacts?

It's actually "number of artifacts created", not "number of artifacts in existence"; eating (or otherwise destroying) artifacts won't reduce the number.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nethack Wiki on ice boxes.

Short answer: yes. Ice boxes stop all aging, which means iced corpses remain good to sacrifice (as long as you get them into the box fast enough).

That said, it's generally easier to kill things near the altar than it is to kill them far away from the altar, box them, drag them back to the altar, and sacrifice them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

McNerd posted:

Can you hit objects with a teleportation ray/beam/whatever? I thought only monsters. Of course you can't pick up the box in order to teleport yourself while carrying it.
Teleport works on both objects and monsters, and in fact the classic way to distinguish between cancellation, invisibility and teleportation wands (after engrave-IDing them all as "makes engraving vanish") is to line up an item and a monster and zap them. If they both vanish it was teleport away, if the monster vanishes it was make invisible, and if neither vanish it was cancellation.

quote:

Also, I don't think you can #offer something inside a container.
Correct. This would pretty much only be useful if you had other, lighter corpses in the icebox as well.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I would say that the win32 tile version does. With the small tiles you can see the whole floor at once, all the normal keyboard controls work, message display is much improved, you can use the mouse for selection and running, etc.

I do think that Vulture's is a step backwards in terms of usability; it looks nice, but you can't see very far and it's very easy for sprites to get hidden behind one another, which can be fatal.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Also, grab that tinning kit and never let it go. Tinning kits are beautiful and way too rare.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nurse-dancing is how I lost a very promising Valkyrie.

A cockatrice decided to investigate the festivities and she punched it away...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^^ Where is the MMBN update you promised months and months ago? :(

elcyberGoth posted:

I didn't realize I was burdened thanks to satiation. Yes being full IS more important than being slow, thank you nethack interface

I've had this, except I didn't realize I was fatally diseased because I was also blind. Fun times! It would be nice if nethack would make proper use of the fact that I'm using a 120x60 terminal.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Souvenir. I tin all the named monsters I can, personally, so that I can ascend with their remains in my backpack. Ditto dead pets.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Darth l33t posted:

I hope someone ascends with your statue.

I wasn't the one who got stoned, I was just offering a theory as to why he would be tinning a 'trice. If I ever get stoned on NAO, though, I'll let you know what level I was on. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

BryE posted:

Why not give SLASH'EM a try? It has a deeper dungeon and a much shorter Gehennom. Granted, it's more difficult, but you might enjoy the differences.

I wish there were a version that just had the new SLASH'EM levels, but not all the new monsters/classes/weapons/etc. SLASH'EM does a great job of making the dungeon less boring, between the shorter nastier Gehennom and the extra side branches, but then it randomly adds all this other stuff that's either unbalanced or annoying or just plain off.

:sigh: Maybe in nethack-3.5.

TotallyGreen posted:

If you're totally screwed and need that BoH, you can loot it over and over till it's empty. That's not exactly a great solution though.

Best way to deal with a cursed BoH, if it's too heavy for you to lift and #dip in holy water, is hit it with cancellation; that'll make it uncursed (taking it from 4x weight to 0.5x) but won't remove its holding properties.

• Locked thread