Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I haven't played Nethack in forever, mostly because my NAO account has a valk ready to wake the wizard, but I just plain don't feel like doing Gehennom without magic mapping. I've been thinking of killing her off and leaving a nice bones file for someone.

Is Sartak going to run another tournament this year? He skipped it last year. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Sartak posted:

There will be a June tournament, but I don't think it'll be run by me.

Well there better at least be an SA team then!

frameset posted:

20 genocides on my first ascension and i'm not ashamed.

If memory serves, this is a great way to get swamped by Archons on the Plane of Fire.

edit: Actually, I was thinking in terms of the letters, but if you just mean twenty monsters that's not too many. h, L, and ; are common genocides and that's fifteen or so right there.

Pacra posted:

I'm standing by my assertion that Rangers are the easiest class by far to ascend :)

You're crazy, once you know how to survive the early game wizards are practically invincible. Wizards for life!

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 28, 2009

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

A very general rule of thumb for what is safe to eat is, will my (starting) pet eat it? I think the only things they'll eat that will cause trouble for you are bats, cats/dogs, and humans (or whatever your species is). I don't think three forbidden things is too much to keep track of, and even cannibalism doesn't carry a tremendous penalty. You'll learn what is safe to eat with time, but to start with, let Fluffy be the Royal Food Taster.

When I first started playing, I would often abandon my pet because it would beat me to stuff I wanted to eat. :mad:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

I was about to say that ESP would be a nice thing to have as well, but I just noticed that he was doing it in sokoban, so if you lock the door, nothing can get in and since it's no-teleport, the nurses will never go away. Can't believe I never thought of that before.

The Sokoban zoo is where I usually do it, for these reasons. However, the nurses will still eventually vanish.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Sultry Fungus posted:

Who knew that grey elves could use a death ray :psyduck:

Any intelligent monster with hands can use a wand!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I just lost a very promising wizard (SDSM, Magicbane, =oConflict, Sleep) by walking into a spotted jelly. :bravo:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

quote:

67 46 0.135 heart of ahriman

Who the hell would wish for this crappy artifact?

quote:

1755 1 0.003 wand of polyo

"You see here a string cheese." I should totally make this my fruit.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

factorialite posted:

Well, I didn't take her slowly, accidentally hit the wrong button to put everything in my bag of holding (including a wand of cancellation...)

Concern that this might happen has left me deathly afraid of wands of cancellation. Anyway, don't get discouraged - you got that far once, so you can do it again!

edit: Incidentally, I also once hit the wrong button, and wound up with this thread title as a result. I've also been killed by Pestilence, even though I was a wizard who knew Cure Sickness at the time. Seriously, poo poo just happens sometimes.

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 18, 2009

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Just ascended a wizard. Nothing fancy, but it's nice to feel like I know what I'm doing again after a year away from the game.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

factorialite posted:

Real Valkyries wield Grayswandir.

I've never had this weapon. Ever. :smith:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Just make sure you put the saddle somewhere safe so you can come get it again if you want it. They're not exactly common items!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Lazerface posted:

How do you lot deal with the lack of aligned priests & altars, quite often I'll get an encouraging start but get stymied by not being able to donate at all, having to convert the altar. I've not gotten that far in NetHack yet so I don't know if there are a glut of altars/temples once you get past lvl 16 or something but it's the thing that always seems to trip me up at the moment.

I don't remember the details for what "inadequacy" means when sacrificing, but as far as aligned priests go, there's always one in Minetown, and one in Moloch's temple in the Valley of the Dead. Notably, they DON'T have to actually be of your alignment for you to make donations, and donating to a different alignment won't bother your god in the slightest.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Lazerface posted:

Now I've got teleport control should I use the orb's levelport to go from the sanctum to the valley of dead or from there to back up to lvl1? I know Rodney chases you and fucks up your gear but does he do it from the sanctum to the end or will he be cursing me only part of the way?

Rodney can reappear anywhere from when you first meet him all the way through the Planes, except on the Astral Plane I believe. Also, you cannot levelport while carrying the Amulet.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Same Great Paste posted:

You are aware that carrying the Orb in a bag won't grant you the half-physical damage, right?

Presumably he means you can stick everything else in the bag.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Rashomon posted:

There's a way to re-order your spells, isn't there? What is it?

+ I think.

edit: Yeah, just double checked. Hit +, then select the spells you want to swap.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

medibot posted:

Stuff

Don't genocide c; with a lizard corpse and some care they're no danger to you at all really (and pyrolisks can't even hurt you now that you're fire resistant, as far as I can remember), plus you might want to use a corpse as a weapon at some point. Just pay attention if there are gloved soldiers around! If you want to geno ;, wait until the Plane of Water - then the Plane will be pretty empty, instead spawning other monsters to replace the ;s.

Magic markers are always good wishes, so if you're uncomfortable with your AC by all means go ahead and write yourself some enchants. If you're concerned about Pestilence, you can also write a book of Cure Sickness, but you should be able to manage without it. Gold detection is genuinely useful on the Planes, so go ahead and write two more if you need to, I don't think they take many charges. Before you write any scrolls or whatever though, I would check Gehennom for any loot you may have missed using some kind of object detection, unless speed is a concern.

Don't worry too much about Famine - just hit him with a finger of death and don't get close if you're worried. Don't worry about being slimed because it more or less never happens. Don't worry about dex gloves, just wear some normal leather ones. A shirt is nice if you find one but probably not worth a wish. If you don't have a wand of secret door detection, you can ring the bell (apply it, I think) and it will detect traps/doors like a wand, which should be good enough for the Sanctum, most likely. I like to have a ring of levitation instead of boots, but it shouldn't make a difference really. If you want teleportitis, just find and eat a leprechaun or a nymph or something.

If I were you, I would wish for the candles and maybe a marker, and keep at least one wish in reserve for emergencies.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

McNerd posted:

Third Murderer, I didn't see you comment on speed boots. If it were me, I'd definitely use a wish on them. Then again I never wind up using my emergency wishes, except for helm of opposite alignment; perhaps others find an extra wish more valuable?

I could have sworn I mentioned speed boots, but I guess I didn't. Personally I'd write a book of haste self instead and wear the jumping boots - this way you don't have to use another wish, plus jumping is awesome. But they're not a bad wish by any means.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Amethyst posted:

You can't hold artifact weapons in the off hand.

And I'm pretty sure wizards can't #twoweapon, anyway!

Sturmtiger IV posted:

; is more or less trivial if you have a spare oilskin cloak.

They're trivial even if you don't, as long as you're careful. The list of things that can kill you if you're careless is endless, so I'm not sure why they're specifically feared. The Plane of Water is pretty much the only place where you might not have a choice about standing next to one.

Xir posted:

Nethack is a hard game. :\

Don't mess with fountains until you're tough enough to deal with that sort of thing - also, dipping for Excalibur won't work if you're level 4 or under anyway, which I assume you still were.

For future reference, you (P)ut on and (R)emove rings and amulets.

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 10, 2009

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I'm playing my first serious attempt at a samurai, and I'm amazed at how easy their quest is. As long as you have reflection it's hard to even get hurt. I was kind of nervous about dealing with the nemesis because of the Tsurugi's bisecting attack, but I got two wands of death off random guys on the way in so I didn't even have to worry about that.

This game has been hilariously lucky though: two lamp wishes, three throne wishes, and an early wand of wishing I haven't yet used other than getting charging scrolls when I identified it. I went for a while without any resistances other than sleep from an elf and that made me nervous, but then I found some power gloves in the mines that made getting poison resistance easy, and later I found a throne room with red, blue, and white dragons in it so I just staggered killing them so I could eat each of them. I had a few close calls on my first trip to the mines, but other than that it's been smooth sailing.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Dear whoever left a bones file in Gehennom with Orcus and Demogorgon right next to the upstairs,

:gonk:

Sincerely,
3rdMurd

Thank goodness for amulets of lifesaving!

edit: YAAP

code:
3rdMurd, lawful male human Samurai

---------
                                   |.......|
            -----                  |.......|
             ...|                  |..._...|
    @---------..--                 |.......|
    @|.......|...--             |  |...%...|  |
     |.......|@...---           |. ----%---- .|
   @A|...@.%A%Aa.@@@            |......%......|
     |.......|....---  )        ---....%....---
     |....V..|...--      )        -----%-----
    D---------..--      -(--             %
             ...|          -----      %%
            -----          $           %%
                         -----        % %   --
                             |         $   --  %
                              --   ----+----   -
                               |
                                -------------

3rdMurd the Kokushu    St:25 Dx:18 Co:18 In:8 Wi:15 Ch:8  Lawful S:1479007
Astral Plane $:0  HP:183(205) Pw:102(102) AC:-29 Xp:21/10030875 T:38677

Your inventory
  Amulets
  f - an uncursed amulet of life saving (being worn)
  Weapons
  A - the blessed rustproof +6 Excalibur (weapon in hand)
  B - a blessed rustproof +5 katana named Drying Pole (wielded in other hand)
  E - the blessed rustproof +4 Magicbane
  Armor
  a - a blessed fireproof +4 cloak of magic resistance (being worn)
  y - a blessed fireproof +4 pair of speed boots (being worn)
  C - a blessed rustproof +5 pair of gauntlets of power (being worn)
  G - a blessed +5 silver dragon scale mail (being worn)
  H - an uncursed fireproof +4 Hawaiian shirt (being worn)
  N - a blessed rustproof +4 helm of telepathy (being worn)
  Spellbooks
  S - the uncursed Book of the Dead
  Rings
  g - a blessed ring of levitation (on left hand)
  p - an uncursed ring of free action (on right hand)
  Wands
  D - an uncursed wand of teleportation (0:5)
  O - an uncursed wand of death (0:3)
  P - an uncursed wand of teleportation named -2 (0:5)
  Tools
  b - a blessed bag of holding
  c - an uncursed towel
  k - an uncursed skeleton key
  m - an uncursed oilskin sack
  o - the uncursed Candelabrum of Invocation (7 candles attached)
  q - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
  t - the uncursed Bell of Opening (0:2)
  Gems
  U - an uncursed luckstone
Nothing special, but it's my first samurai. That bones file in Orcus-town gave me Magicbane and some other nice extras, although nothing gamebreaking as I was already prepared for ascension. Plus, you know:

code:
Contents of the bag of holding:
 an uncursed wand of wishing named -1 (1:1)
 an uncursed wand of wishing (0:2)
So yeah, I wasn't exactly hurting for anything. Never got a single floating eye corpse, though!

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 20, 2009

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Xir posted:

YASD

code:
Your inventory
  Amulets
  o - an uncursed amulet of life saving

:laugh:

Yeah, this happens to me in roguelikes all the time. There's always something I could have done that I either overlooked or forgot about. Nethack has enough bad amulets that it's usually not a good idea to put them on unless you know what they are though, so I don't blame you. Plus even the good ones make you hungrier I think.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Usually you can find a few wands of death on the quest itself. If you have reflection, you can safely look around and gather up the zillions of attack wands that the other samurai get generated with.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Ouch, that sucks. If it makes you feel better, I once got a wand of wishing early, went through the whole game, and then died to my own stupidity on the Astral Plane by succumbing to illness even though I could cast cure sickness at 0% failure. Better to waste the early wand immediately than after hours of play!

I decided to start playing this again after getting frustrated with Crawl for the millionth time. Nethack rewarded me with speed boots in the mines. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Fury1671 posted:

But they ended up cursed -3 speed boots right?

Uncursed +0! Not that it would matter much, I'll take the speed over the AC in most situations.

• Locked thread