Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Sockser posted:

Another circuit is the outlet for my washing machine. That's it. Nothing else. gently caress you.

Is this not the correct way to do it? I thought current code says laundry on its own 20a circuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Oh yeah, even if it's not required that's super normal, washing machines can be a pretty big load with decent inrush currents.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Huh. When everything else is wrong, the thing that's correct looks weird.

Granted, the lights in my laundry room are on a different circuit, and the outlet my (gas) dryer plugs into is on a third circuit, so, yknow. Fun times with dumb house wiring

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My parents house has a dedicated breaker for a duplex outlet in the laundry room (labeled washer, of course), but it's also setup for both a gas and electric dryer (240V plug down low, gas hookup also there).

Guessing gas dryers don't pull a whole lot of power aside from the ignitor and the brief bit of inrush from the motor starting? Or maybe that's just how it was done in 1994. They have an electric dryer (my mother thinks "gas dryers turn your clothes yellow" for some reason), so they've never tested to see if that one outlet can handle both the washer and a gas dryer.

My current place (built in 98) has a single (non-duplex) outlet for the washer. Which is a little annoying, the laundry room doesn't have any kind of lighting. Got a beefy decent quality power strip (short 12 gauge cord) and added a strip LED light with its own switch to the bottom of the shelf above the w/d - no issues so far, plug and power strip don't get warm at all with the washer running.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
A cardinal has built a nest and is hatching eggs in the bush I need to tear out to work more on my electrical. I guess my project is being delayed. :bird:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

a bird wants to nest in my loving gutter each year.. last year I had to take it apart when he fell down the spout.
I really need a longer ladder so I can get up to that loving one little gutter and clean it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

A cardinal has built a nest and is hatching eggs in the bush I need to tear out to work more on my electrical. I guess my project is being delayed. :bird:

Awwww.

I'd probably put off electric upgrades for the same reason :kimchi:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

Elviscat posted:

Awwww.

I'd probably put off electric upgrades for the same reason :kimchi:

Pics or how can we believe you? :kimchi:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Here is a 1 second video courtesy of my girlfriend!

https://imgur.com/CwA5nhs.mp4

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Is that middle egg as different as it looks? Would it be a cowbird egg?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

H110Hawk posted:

Is that middle egg as different as it looks? Would it be a cowbird egg?

Yes and possibly

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

SpartanIvy posted:

Yes and possibly

Such a devious evolutionary tactic... Just FYI, don't remove the cowbird egg. It'll do more damage than good, and nature is gonna nature. They're not invasive to North America, and it's illegal to destroy them or their eggs.

https://www.audubon.org/news/is-it-okay-remove-cowbird-eggs-host-nests

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 20, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I wasn't planning to. Just going to let the birds bird and after the nest is abandoned I'll tear the bush out.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

SpartanIvy posted:

I wasn't planning to. Just going to let the birds bird and after the nest is abandoned I'll tear the bush out.

Cool. Sometimes people do it with good intentions.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
We are installing ceiling lights and fans (and a couple outlets) in all the rooms of our house. City is telling us we need permits for this type of work; do people take pull permits for putting a new outlet in the wall, or putting a box for a fan mount on the ceiling? If so, what does the drawing accompanying the application even look like?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PageMaster posted:

We are installing ceiling lights and fans (and a couple outlets) in all the rooms of our house. City is telling us we need permits for this type of work; do people take pull permits for putting a new outlet in the wall, or putting a box for a fan mount on the ceiling? If so, what does the drawing accompanying the application even look like?

You're adding whole new branches and stuff to existing circuits? Or replacing an existing light fixture with a fan? The former I would ask if they even need a drawing. Ours are typically "add 4 new outlets in garage" and then they come and count out 4 new outlets and sign off. The latter is just replacement and you probably don't need a permit.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

You're adding whole new branches and stuff to existing circuits? Or replacing an existing light fixture with a fan? The former I would ask if they even need a drawing. Ours are typically "add 4 new outlets in garage" and then they come and count out 4 new outlets and sign off. The latter is just replacement and you probably don't need a permit.

Replacements don't need a permit from what I can decipher, but technically any new electrical does. We are adding a new light or ceiling fan in 4 bedrooms where ones don't exist yet (with no electrical lines in the ceiling yet). Talking around there's a mix between get a permit for everything, and permits are a scam to raise property taxes so I'm guessing there's a common sense middle ground.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PageMaster posted:

Replacements don't need a permit from what I can decipher, but technically any new electrical does. We are adding a new light or ceiling fan in 4 bedrooms where ones don't exist yet (with no electrical lines in the ceiling yet). Talking around there's a mix between get a permit for everything, and permits are a scam to raise property taxes so I'm guessing there's a common sense middle ground.

Just tune out anyone who starts going brain worms on you. This is normal permit territory. I bet a drawing is just a rough pen on paper that shows a square with labeled dimensions and the word "fan" and what light or whatever gets it done, at a minimum it gets you something to talk to them about. "not sure what you needed, is this it? No? Can you show me an example?"

Are you diy'ing this or having a contractor do it? The latter they should know. Expect it to add $500 to your order.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Contractor is doing it as part of othe asthetic projects, like new cabinets/backsplash that don't need permits, but either isn't familiar with the county permit process or didn't think he needs one for a couple lights. I know technically he does by letter of the law but I didn't know if paying 80 bucks for a permit to install a 20 dollar light makes sense. Everyone else in the county has apparently skipped permits for this which may be why we're in this argument now, and we already fired his plumber because they didn't want to permit the house repipe. They're all licensed so I didn't think this would be a point of contention and figured it would just happen but apparently not.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 24, 2021

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I would never pull a permit for that type of stuff but I also wouldn't blink an eye if a homeowner wanted to. All it's going to do is add to their cost.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My area is also in the world of replacement is exempt. Permit for new.

I've um somewhat ignored it. I had a 20a breaker running on 14ga wire that also powered a flying splice that connected to an outside overhead wire that went to the garage and powered half of it. I replaced the 14 ga with proper wire, put in 4 outlets instead of 2. This was in the midst of the height of covid. I did not pull a permit, not even sure if office was open for me to do so. I made my house 100% safer.

I plan rewiring my garage and running at least 20a to it with an actuall dedicated circuit instead of how it's run now (buried and run to circuit that powers basement lights too). I will be getting a permit for that.

Any contractor should 200% be pulling a permit and be getting inspected I know the work I do but I'm paying someone so I don't need to babysit everything they do.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks. We're talking tonight but problem may be solving itself. Contractor is also resizing a window and raising the kitchen ceiling and doesn't want to pull permits for those now either and says their quote pricing was under the assumption of not pulling permits so that's all going to have to change. We may just pay them for the kitchen demo and flooring/cabinets/counters and dump them for the repiping and electrical along with the structural work.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PageMaster posted:

Thanks. We're talking tonight but problem may be solving itself. Contractor is also resizing a window and raising the kitchen ceiling and doesn't want to pull permits for those now either and says their quote pricing was under the assumption of not pulling permits so that's all going to have to change. We may just pay them for the kitchen demo and flooring/cabinets/counters and dump them for the repiping and electrical along with the structural work.

"a permit is a fixed cost and a little bit of time for picking it up and dealing with the inspections. What were you planning on *not* doing because of the lack of a permit?"

Edit: the answer is do this horror show to someone else who won't make them do their job. This is what leads to municipalities going overboard on enforcement.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 24, 2021

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I think they're interior decorators turned GC either thinking they're doing my wife a favor with a reduced cost or just don't like to because they can get away with it with so many other people in the region.

Edit: apparently it was to meet the desired date my wife mentioned it would be nice to be done by because the permits would add 6 to 9 months to Reno. Most look like over the counter permits with same or next day approval so going with another contractor for now.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 25, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Bird update! :parrot:

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

Bird update! :parrot:

:)

What did they find to use for nest material? it almost looks like paper?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I think it's paper and a little bit of plastic bag type of material.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ultra Carp
I bought a stranded wire crimper after I saw this youtube ad for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9jJqSGMB5g

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073TZ5BBG

It seems to work so far. It was $27, but it looks like there's cheaper versions in different brands.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ferrules are the absolute bees knees when you're working with anything that snaps to a DIN rail but I've found vanishingly little use for them in residential

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ultra Carp
Yeah, it was just an impulse buy. I don't expect to get much serious use out of it. But I hadn't heard of it before and the video convinced me!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I've been battling some micro switches that are a pain in the rear end to get set perfect on an equipment install, and I have to pull the leads each time, and man the ferrules are a godsend, not having to jam floppy, tiny stranded wire in the ports on the connection block each time.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I use that exact knockoff model at work and have crimped several hundreds of ferrules so far. I'm sure it won't last as long as a Knipex or be just as smooth after a couple thousand uses, but it won't fall apart immediately either.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Vim Fuego posted:

I bought a stranded wire crimper after I saw this youtube ad for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9jJqSGMB5g

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073TZ5BBG

It seems to work so far. It was $27, but it looks like there's cheaper versions in different brands.

I had just watched this video, which reminded me of something else I wanted to search this thread for, and then opened this thread directly to you linking that video. Alarming.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
There's a light fixture on a wall in the house we just bought that seems like it's not attached totally securely. We have not yet moved in, and I'd like to carefully take it off the wall and take a look at how it's mounted to the box (if there is a box). I have a no-contact voltage tester that I can test at a separate outlet to make sure it's working, and I know which breaker the light fixture is on. Once I have turned off the breaker, ensured that the power is off, and then taken the fixture down, can I reasonably cover any exposed wire with a taped on wire cap as a temporary measure? I do not intend to bury that taped + capped wire, just to keep the wires apart to avoid any shorts or other dangers.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yes absolutely, everything you said is the correct way to.go about it, though taping the wire-nut might be a little overkill.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Yes absolutely, everything you said is the correct way to.go about it, though taping the wire-nut might be a little overkill.

I haven't used wire nuts a ton and all the tutorials available seem to be about splicing rather than just capping off a wire.

There's also a decent chance that the wiring is very old and I want to avoid manipulating the old wiring as much as I possibly can.

EDIT: It's been incredibly difficult to get electricians to come out and do anything in my area so I've been spending a lot of my spare time watching videos and reading about simple wiring tasks because it looks like I might need to do some stuff myself in order to be ready for move-in. I'm trying to take my time and be as thoughtful as possible about it, because I'd rather go slowly and over-do it as opposed to taking risks, because my habit is to try and go quick with things.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 28, 2021

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
A correct size wire nut will hold to safe off a single wire, that's standard. You'll know if it's secure, just go by the feel and make sure there's no exposed copper.

If it's really old and the insulation is cracking on you when you move it, you can tape it up.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 28, 2021

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Hey wiring thread! Just wanted to say thank you for existing!

Last year I became a homeowner of a classic 1976 split level. The previous.....10? ish? owners have done things to the home in varying stages and degrees of upgrade, and only one of them kept decent notes.

I've run into two things that I can't quite figure out.

I have a bedroom on the main floor that we're using as an office, and frequently, say when a printer goes off, the LED lamp we have in the room, or my computer monitor, will flicker ever so slightly to be annoying. The outlets in the room are all new, and I discovered that they left the wall switch dead by not breaking off the piece inbetween one of the outlets, and I was hoping maybe that was part of the problem, but it did not solve the weird flicker. Thoughts?

Second issue, went about replacing all the smoke alarms recently, and when I pulled one off in the hallway, I found that it was just being used to cover what I imagine was a ceiling light at one point, but theres another ceiling light maybe 2 feet away? Without crawling around in my newly blown insultated attic to figure out why thats there, should I be concerned about the wires being capped and just tucked back in the socket?

Sorry if these are stupid questions!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Danhenge posted:

I haven't used wire nuts a ton and all the tutorials available seem to be about splicing rather than just capping off a wire.

There's also a decent chance that the wiring is very old and I want to avoid manipulating the old wiring as much as I possibly can.

EDIT: It's been incredibly difficult to get electricians to come out and do anything in my area so I've been spending a lot of my spare time watching videos and reading about simple wiring tasks because it looks like I might need to do some stuff myself in order to be ready for move-in. I'm trying to take my time and be as thoughtful as possible about it, because I'd rather go slowly and over-do it as opposed to taking risks, because my habit is to try and go quick with things.

Order a box of these and never look back.

https://www.amazon.com/Wago-221-413-LEVER-NUTS-Conductor-Connectors/dp/B017NQWDY4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Rage posted:

Hey wiring thread! Just wanted to say thank you for existing!

Last year I became a homeowner of a classic 1976 split level. The previous.....10? ish? owners have done things to the home in varying stages and degrees of upgrade, and only one of them kept decent notes.

I've run into two things that I can't quite figure out.

I have a bedroom on the main floor that we're using as an office, and frequently, say when a printer goes off, the LED lamp we have in the room, or my computer monitor, will flicker ever so slightly to be annoying. The outlets in the room are all new, and I discovered that they left the wall switch dead by not breaking off the piece inbetween one of the outlets, and I was hoping maybe that was part of the problem, but it did not solve the weird flicker. Thoughts?

Second issue, went about replacing all the smoke alarms recently, and when I pulled one off in the hallway, I found that it was just being used to cover what I imagine was a ceiling light at one point, but theres another ceiling light maybe 2 feet away? Without crawling around in my newly blown insultated attic to figure out why thats there, should I be concerned about the wires being capped and just tucked back in the socket?

Sorry if these are stupid questions!

Led light: that just happens, LED drivers in bulbs are just kinda lovely and sensitive, can you replace the bulb with a high quality one like Phillip's?

Smoke detector: is the wire coming in a 3 conductor wire, i.e. black/white/red? I suspect that may have been a wired smoke detector, that someone replaced with a battery operated because they're lazy.

Danhenge posted:

Orange nuts work well for capping single wires, only thing they're good for IMO.

once you get it on there give it a nice firm pull, it should remain firmly seated on the wire.

As you're working through your issues post here with lots of pictures, this thread can guide most people through most issues, I think.