Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tomapot posted:

Sorry I did not mean to make it sound like I'm advocating rushing out to do something like this. The point was that he was a splicer for ConEd working under the streets of Manhattan and was used to a lot more juice than what runs through a house. He had built up a tolerance from 40 years on the job and was not affected by the couple shots of 120V he got from replacing the outlets.

You can't build up a tolerance to that. Thinking like that gets you killed.

I guess we can't have a power megathread. Dispatch, arc flashes, all that jazz. I wonder how many power engineers there are even here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

Anything under 480/277V isn't real electricity. :science:
I'm not sure if it would be good to have it in DIY - what other forum could we put it in? GBS?

[Ask] me about power engineering?

I don't really know anything about it in the real world as I'm just a student (decided I'm going for my masters because nobody is hiring locally and I attached myself to several research projects). Taking power courses is fun though if only because of the big numbers involved. Of course they had to invent a unit system where all the big numbers got smaller, so a current of 3pu can be as huge as 3A could be in an electronics circuit. Load flow by hand gets really loving tedious really fast. There are computers to do matrices and newton's method, why do professors have to take them away?! :argh:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Temporary Overload posted:

480v three-phase scares me. It's what we use at work to power everything. Not really because I think I'll get hurt by it, but because we have several dumbasses who think they're competent enough to wire up plugs and breaker boxes when they're clearly not. I'm talking, "I cut the ground wire too short to reach the terminal, so I'll just leave it unconnected" and poo poo.

Also, recently our engineering/manufacturing facility sent us a bunch of equipment designed for 440v 3phase, with big signs posted all over it saying "DO NOT EXCEED 440 VOLTS." They're located in texas, we're located in louisiana, and the equipment will be used on offshore rigs in the gulf. Why did they use european motors? Where are we supposed to find 440v hookups? :iiam:

Just have the guys that do that close some delta connections; nature should take its course!

As for the engineers, obviously they want you to wire your own transformers!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

I take it that using step-up autotransformers would be against whatever code governs these vessels? I know there are a lot of limitations to residential/commercial/industrial use of autotransformers.

Is this because if the insulation fails you have more problems than with a regular transformer? Or is it something else?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

I've used SKM Power Tools - you can do stuff like arc flash analysis, fault currents, and my favorite, breaker/fuse coordination studies. It even makes those nice trip curve diagrams.

We actually did a lot of stuff in the aforementioned power class with SKM Power Tools. We just had no aids on tests, which screwed me over royally at midterm. I wanted to go back to the lab after the class was over and play around with it to try more stuff, but apparently the licenses for the program were only active while the class was running. Stupid $8k/seat engineering software...

And the stuff about autotransformers makes sense. They're really useful; especially variacs.