Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
I recently moved into a new place, and replaced all the outlets / switches with new leviton decora units. Added GFCI to the outlets next to the sinks. Added a few dimmers. All went great up until the four-way in the hall.

So there are three switches -- one four-way and two three-way switches.

The hall is in the shape of a T, with the hot coming in on the top-left three-way, the four-way is at the bottom, and the other three-way is at the top-right.

The problem is that it only works reliably when the top-left switch is in the down position. If the lights are off with that switch in the up position, the other switches won't turn on the lights consistently. If you press hard on the four-way switch, they'll flicker on briefly.

Obviously they're wired incorrectly, but I toned the wires out and wired them according to the diagram on the box.

Any ideas where I should start with this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

grover posted:

I'd start by replacing this switch with one that isn't broken. When the switch is flipped, it should either turn on or off, but should never flicker.

That's what I thought, but it works normally as long as the top-left switch is in the down position.

Its like a $25 switch, so hopefully it is just a wiring logic problem.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

grover posted:

A 4-way switch? More like $2.50. No "wiring logic" problem is going to cause the lights to flicker.

The leviton decora 4-way is way overpriced.

The lights don't flicker constantly, a more appropriate word would be blink. So, if the top-left switch is up and the lights are off and you hit the 4-way, the lights blink on and immediate shut off. If you press hard on the 4-way, the lights will stay on, but shut off as soon as you let go. It seems to me like pressing down makes a different contact path and completes the circuit, but it otherwise isn't wired the way it should be.