Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daddyo
Nov 3, 2000
What's the easiest way to add another switch to a ceiling fan? I've got attic access to the entire setup, and I know the fan has separate power leads for fan/light control. When I hung the fan I just followed the instructions for one power input and wired it all together, but I'm thinking I'd rather run a new connection to the switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daddyo
Nov 3, 2000

grover posted:

First, kill the breaker and verify the power is secured; you're going to be working with a hot lead and NEED to do this.

Open up your light switch box. Verify that there is a spare light switch, and that there are there black and red wires coming from the fan coming into the box. unscrew the switch that's currently connected, and pull it a few inches out of the box so you can work on it.. Disconnect the incoming "hot" wire, and pigtail it using a wiring nut (yellow or red are OK) and two 6" pieces of wire. Bend a loop in these two pigtails using a needle nose pliers, and screw it down. (Loop it clockwise so that it pulls in closer when you tighten the screw. Now connect the red wire to the spare light switch. Bend the wires in a Z so they'll push back easy, and reinstall the switches and covers.

Take down your fan. There will be two leads in your fan, one for the light and one for the fan. They're normally labeled which is which. Attach one to the red and one to the black. You're done!

This is what it's wired like right now. Couldn't I just run a new romex from the switch to the fan and install a separate switch for the fan/light? Or is that just over complicating the whole thing?

Daddyo
Nov 3, 2000
Easy-ish question. I have outlets A and B in this room and would like to add C. I can access the crawl space under the floor and have discovered that this is how they are cabled currently. Can I cut the line in the middle, pull a new run to B and a run to C and splice the whole mess in the middle or is there something else that would be better?

Only registered members can see post attachments!