Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I want to add a few outlets in my garage. I'm going to use handy boxes and conduit. I know the typical advice is to use THHN for ease of pulling, but I have a bunch of NM leftover from another project. If I'm only pulling one run through the conduit, and only making a single 90 degree bend, will I hate myself if I try to use it? This is the wire I have:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Romex-100-ft-14-2-White-Solid-SIMpull-NM-B-Wire-28827428/202316379

Also taking advice for what kind of conduit to go with. Don't really care how it looks. Would like to avoid glueing PVC together if possible.

Thanks all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Adding onto an existing circuit. And yup, was gonna get GFCI outlets. The existing outlet is mounted to the rafters for the garage door opener. Was gonna extend off that in either direction and put one on the two opposite walls.

I see a few different sizes of EMT. Do you think 1/2" would be big enough?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Is there anything wrong with what I did here, or is there a better way to accomplish it?

On the back wall in my garage is a single outlet. Its super old and crusty so I wanted to replace it with a GFCI. Here's what it looked like before (sorry already removed from the wall at this point)

The outlet was screwed to the round cover plate, which when removed revealed this:

Also discovered at this point that hot and neutral were reversed, good stuff. No ground also, naturally.

Octagonal metal box embedded in the wall. Could only find replacement covers for normal outlets, so I decided to stick a new square box on top of it. Popped out one of the knockouts in the rear of the new box, passed the wires though, and used really long screws to hold the new box to the matching holes (the smaller ones) in the back of the old one, using plastic anchors. Seems kinda hacky to me, but I couldn't come up with a better way to mount the new box to the old other than maybe stuffing some wood in there to mount it to.

It's really solid and not going anywhere. Here's the finished product.

OK/bad/awful idea?

opengl fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 30, 2016

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I would totally have just replaced the box if it weren't embedded in a cinder block wall.

Alpine Mustache posted:

The box was probably grounded through the flexible conduit coming through the back.

You probably could have taken the locking nut holding the conduit to the back of the old box and used it to attach to the new box. Putting the new box in the wall might have required knocking out part of the wall to fit the different shaped new box.

You should get an outlet tester to check for proper grounding. You probably want some kind of ground wire connecting the outlet ground to both of the boxes in this case.

Edit: I'm not sure where the plastic anchors come in in your mounting description. You could have attached the new box directly to the two screw holes meant for the cover plate on the old box (may require drilling holes in the new box to match). Did you put the anchors into the holes in the back of the old box? If so, that's probably not good.

Old box wasn't grounded, the cable running to it is cloth covered NM (50's construction). I did test the outlet beforehand and confirmed no ground.

My original idea was what you suggested, drilling holes in the back of the new box to screw onto the cover plate holes in the old box, but I lined it up and they were perfectly positioned on the edges of the knockouts on the back of the new box, so that wouldn't end up holding at all.

In my second photo, the four smaller holes around the center knockout of the old box, two of those are where I pressed plastic anchors into. I then used those same small holes on the new box, and 2 long screws to screw into the anchors.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Is there a preferred/code legal way to splice an underground run? We were digging up some shrubs out front and cut the line running to our lamp post. It's two separate conductors, directly buried. They're pretty beefy, maybe 12ga.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That reminds me of something I've always wondered about dimmers. How does the little LED on them work? They only get a traveler leg, so not a complete circuit, right?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

TacoHavoc posted:

Not in a two wire dimmer (Lutron Maestros, for example). The LED and processor circuitry is powered by drawing a very small amount of current every line cycle through the load using only the hot wire.

Yeah should have specified a standard two wire dimmer, no neutral present. Just the hot being switched.

I still can't say I get it, I'll chalk it up to pixies present on the hot.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Wanted to add an outlet to the garage. Previously just had the one in the back.

Holy cow pulling THHN through EMT sucks. I thought it wouldn't be too bad since it's only a couple bends, but I was barely able to get it done without kinking the wires big time, and that's also with the covers popped off two of the 90 degree fittings I used. Definitely going to get fish tape for next time.

But now I can keep the bike on a tender without running extension cords, so yay I guess.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Can anyone tell if this box can support a ceiling fan? Its hard to make out, but there's a large threaded rod at the back of it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

In my garage, the opener has a single screw in bulb that lights up when the door is opened. This does almost nothing to light up the garage.

I also have three LED overhead fixtures installed, which do a wonderful job of lighting up the garage.

Is there a code legal way to have the opener also activate my existing overhead lights? They're currently on a normal light switch. The junction box where they all get their power is literally a foot from the opener.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Put the overhead fixtures on a motion sensor switch. It's a drop in replacement for the existing switch, will take five minutes to install, and the garage door opening (or anyone moving around out there) will trigger it.

I literally thought of this as soon as I posted, haha. Much simpler.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Well for the both of you, then, I recommend this one, I've used it in a couple places now:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lutron-Maestro-5-amp-Double-Pole-3-way-White-Motion-Indoor-Occupancy-Vacancy-Sensor/3531524

Works with your LED lights and whatnot, and has a nice little feature where if there's sufficient ambient light, it won't turn on. That sensitivity is customizable, though: if you turn it on/off within 3 seconds of triggering its motion sense, it'll "learn" your preference for what light level it should come on at. A+

I think it's that one, anyhow, I can get a product number if someone really wants, but that should get you close to optimal for your particular situation.

Follow up question. Looks like most of the Lutron occupancy sensor switches are marketed as no neutral required, but ground IS required. They seem to use the ground to complete the circuit.

I opened up the wall plate where I want to install one, and it's not grounded (50's house/garage). However, there is a neutral in that box. Can I use that instead to power the switch? The switch has 2 blacks/hots for the light, a bare wire, and a green wire. Some Amazon reviewers said in this situation you ignore the bare wire and connect the green wire to your neutrals. Thoughts?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

At least they used a cable clamp, lol

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

mynnna posted:

Some switches/outlets/etc will have holes in the back that you slide the stripped wire into and then tighten up the screws on the sides, as opposed to screws that you're meant to curl the wire around externally. The former are backstabbed. Your switches are weird and alien looking to my American eyes, but yeah, they're backstabbed.

I always thought the backstabs people got all :supaburn: about are the spring loaded ones, while the kind you tighten a screw down for aren't as bad.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

mynnna posted:

The jagged metal is no bueno, yeah.

The second one, though - the sheath is similar to something on a heavy extension cord, and I *think* the holes are basically a soft plastic that just expands around whatever you shove through them. That means there's some variation in cable size they can accept, and the elasticity helps hold onto them.

Just guessing, though.

Doesn't sound any worse than the blue plastic boxes everyone uses now where you just shove romex through a tab and it sort of holds it in place.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Just replace the fixture. It's like a 5 minute job and will not require attic access unless there's something truly bizarre going on. Standard cheap replacement should be like $15 at home depot.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

B-Nasty posted:

X10 was simultaneously ahead of its time and total garbage. My favorite part was that the signals could only traverse one leg of the customary US 2-leg home power setup. I had a device that used a dryer outlet (230v, both legs) to bridge the signal. Somehow, this device needed to be the size of a small pineapple to accomplish this feat: https://www.smarthome-products.com/p-1698-signalinc-4816b2-plug-in-phase-coupler-for-3-wire-220v-dryers.aspx

X10, once the moved into security cameras, was also one of the original scumbags of the pop-up, pop-over, pop-under internet advertising game (before browsers universally blocked this technique.) Their ads usually were unnecessarily sexually suggestive and creepy: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~kuan/x10/x10-11.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF8NK6eruUs

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

Judging by the age of the wiring the house is probably plaster and I don’t think anyone makes plastic boxes with plaster ears. So they replaced the box at some point with an off the shelf plaster box

That's what all my original boxes look like in my 1953 house with plasterboard. Same cloth covered wiring too. Though I don't think they have the ground screw so maybe that one is a little newer.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

SpartanIvy posted:

The real question is ground on top or bottom

Bottom or guillotine.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That just looks like internal wiring to me, you may still have a normal box behind the vanity.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Noob question, is there a free way for me to find out if the new outlet my contractor installed is grounded? I don't have a circuit tester, but how do those work when they test for ground? Could I replicate whatever it's doing internally with my multimeter instead?

You can check for continuity between neutral and ground. But if your contractor was a dick they could have just jumpered it at the outlet to make it appear grounded. You could easily pull the outlet and confirm that though.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah they’re like a dollar each just replace them. And it’s definitely DIYable.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IIRC that's also how the little light on dimmer switches works

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

B-Nasty posted:

Bonus, it solves the ground-up/ground-down debate once and for all. I'm ground orientation fluid.

Nice try but there's not even a debate, right angle appliance plugs with the ground on bottom have proved this.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That thing should be returned as defective.

Or if it were me I'd cut it off and replace with the correct style.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've heard that hypothetical before and its so absurdly unlikely that I also don't believe it's ever happened.

Besides, ground up just looks wrong.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

freezepops posted:

I finally figured out the lovely Levaton AFCI/GFCI issue. The AFCI function dislikes my ethernet power line carrier/PC combined load. Separately they are ok, combined they trip the outlet on AFCI. Which is rather annoying as I now get to decide if I try out various manufacturer's AFCI/GFCI outlets and see if someone makes an AFCI with logic that isn't garbage or run some cables through the walls. Ugh.

If your house is wired for cable look at MoCA. Tons better than powerline.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

kid sinister posted:

You would need to run a short section of 12/3 from that box to a switch above the counter if you wanted to do a switched outlet for a disposal. You'd still feed that box from the panel with 12/2.

Alternatively you can use one of those "air switches" https://www.homedepot.com/p/Garbage-Disposal-Air-Switch-in-Brushed-Stainless-I5580-BS/203499159

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I’ve also found it helps when they’re stubborn to push the wire into the backstab while also pressing the release tab instead of just yanking on it, frees it up better sometimes.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Crew of two finished my panel replacement and 1 new outlet (plus two replacements) at 8pm last night.

Aside from their sloppy rear end work, and everything else mentioned, if this is how they left what you CAN see, I'd be really concerned about what you can't see. The panel could be a horror show, and I'd check to make sure they didn't backstab those outlets.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Found a few of those in my house too.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

freezepops posted:

Has anyone had good luck with a motion detecting light switch? I recently installed a Leviton IPS02 on Sunday and its already failed after switching my 100W incandescent entry light for all of 48 hours. As this is the second Leviton electrical device that has given me issues, I'd prefer to buy a different brand.

After looking at some options, I just can't seem to find a motion sensing switch that has good reviews. Lutron looks like it could work, but they are even cheaper than the Leviton switch and the many reviews on poor build quality aren't inspiring. Is this due to the fact that I'm looking for a motion detector that doesn't need a neutral wire? I really love having my entry light kick on automatically, but I'm not sure if I want it enough to pull a neutral conductor to the switch.

I've had this one for two years with no issues. Probably gets activated 5-10 times a day. No neutral needed.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005WM3ALC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

In my garage I have an outlet that I've replaced with a GFCI. There's no equipment ground, just hot/neutral. Downstream from that I have another outlet connected via the first outlet's load terminals so it is also protected.

Since there is no ground at the original outlet, is there any benefit from connecting the two outlets together with a ground conductor? Right now the downstream outlet is also just 2 wire, but it's all exposed so I could easily run a ground between the two if it helps at all.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nice work. That screw through the side of the box (along with everything else you've mentioned) is some amateur hour poo poo. I'd put them on blast on google reviews.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

movax posted:

I want to replace the light switch in there with a lighted one (plus probably add an emergency light in there) because it's a PITA to find in the dark, but for the outlets, are there any specific types I should look at that are more dust resistant / "industrial" than others? Their junction boxes are already plastic, and I was vaguely considering replacing with metal + going metal faceplates on them, but figured I would ask here. Sorry don't have a pic handy.

Do yourself a favor and install a motion activated switch. I put one in the garage and the laundry room in the basement, huge quality of life improvement there.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

I got a $6300 quote to run cat6 through my new(built in 1999) house for 7 drops so I will be probably frequenting this thread because that seems insane to me. Lots of good info to read through.

Yeah, that's a "gently caress off" price lol.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Inner Light posted:

e: Is the little black square the screw goes through important? Sometimes those fall off when I'm messing with stuff in boxes and I don't bother putting them back.

No, that's just there to keep the screw in place (during shipping etc) until you actually tighten it down.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

The house was built in 2000 so I don't have too many worries.

Oh sweet summer child.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

This page shows a couple options for center mounting in a 2 gang box, I haven't personally done it though https://www.kyleswitchplates.com/how-to-install-centered-switch-or-outlet-on-2-gang-box/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

just another posted:

Okiedokie. Am I going to somehow burn my house down if I snip it and push it back into the wall?

Snip away