Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
I have a basement I want to finish and the builder left it with steel studs surrounding the foundation walls, insulated and sealed off with vapour barrier. Now I want to run electrical before I put drywall up. It's not a large basement, only 26'x26' square, but I figure I have three options ahead of me, which do you think would be easiest? FYI, I already have about 200' of romex 14/2 wire that I have leftover from finishing the garage. FYI, there's no code here requiring conduit of any fashion inside the home.

I can use my existing 14/2 romex and run it through my ceiling and for every recepticle I can run it down the stud and then back up into the ceiling to get to the next recepticle or switch. Are there any code issues with this? I believe this would mean the wire is just floating / falling down the side of the steel stud and getting clamped off at the recepticle box. I wouldn't actually be stapling the wire to the stud in any way since I don't want to rip down the vapour barrier if I go this route.

I can buy shielded 14/2 cable and somehow route it horizontally through my steel studs rather than wasting wire by travelling down 7ft and back up again for every run. Though now I would have to buy shielded cable and cut my vapour barrier at various areas to fish it through all my studs.

I can rip down the vapour barrier and install guards to prevent any cutting hazard in all the stud holes so that I can use regular romex horizontally run through the studs. But then I would want to try reusing vapour barrier, or would I have to buy new stuff?

Or maybe I rip down all the lovely steel studs and reframe with timber and start fresh, reusing my batt insulation?

Opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
Any tips or things to look out for on this kitchen pot light to socket change?

I have a single pot light wired to a switch that I plan to change into a 2-gang box with 4 outlets in the ceiling. The plugs are for low voltage cabinet lights that will be installed in my new ceiling upper cabinets.

Now I intent to cut open the ceiling and take out the fixture and then add in a double gang box for the plugs. I forget which way I should wire up the plugs, are all the neutral wires twisted together in the box and the hot wires daisy chained through each item? I plan to look this up, but any tips would be helpful.

How big of a hole should I put in the top cabinet for access to the outlets? Should it be just wide enough for the 4 outlets to be visible or something bigger?

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Cut a 4" square hole in the cabinet top and use a box extension ring to make your devices mount flush with the top of the cabinet, then just use a normal faceplate.

Each receptacle should have three wires coming off of it and all the wires get connected together in the box. No daisy chains, please. It makes things so very annoying when they eventually fail. Since you're going to have a full 4" square box with extension ring, there's no reason not to have 8" of wire on each receptacle. As long as it all mashes into the box, you're fine; it is also especially annoying to have to replace a failed device and have BARELY enough wire left over to pull the thing forward enough to get to the screws. Code says 6" of wire from the entry point or 3" past the front of the box, whichever is more; our local code says 6" past the front of the box, which is good. Make sure to ground the box if you're using a metallic box (probably not).

Thanks!

The box is up, grounded and working! Luckily I was able to junction directly off of the potlight's junction box and not even have to open up my walls except where I cut out the box hole and screwed it to the joist.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
I've been looking online, but can't find an answer.

Is there a general code for distance of a power receptacle and a gas line? In this case the gas line is active and inspected OK running to my tankless water system. I need to run a power receptacle for the tankless unit and the best location I can find is about 6" to the right of a vertical gas line. Is this an issue so long as I place a cover plate after installing the receptacle? (standard 15A GFI circuit).