Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I have a new 7000w generator I want to wire into my house. Normally I would say I need a manual transfer switch and move over the 6 circuits that I need to keep things running, but I also have an old style fuse box. Since I'm going to be getting a good chunk of circuits ripped out of the old box anyways I'm thinking of replacing the entire fuse box with a new breaker box.

Therein lies my question. Do I still need a separate manual transfer switch or are there breaker boxes that can contain the transfer components within it? I'm basically trying to save buying two components if there's a all in one solution out there.

The ideal solution would be that the entire breaker box would be on the manual transfer so I could selectively bring any circuit in and out of generator service as needed. I would also want a wattage meter so I could monitor load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I'm converting my home range from electric to gas so instead of the 240v outlet I'm using right now I'll need a 120v outlet.

I've already booked an electrician who says the best thing to do is not to remove or change the 240v (for resale reasons) and instead just extend an existing circuit and install a new outlet. I thought that was reasonable since he told me that it'll likely be under $100 to make this happen.

However I just spoke to the gas line installer and he told me that I can just buy an adapter that will essentially just use one of the hot lines on the 240v outlet which will give me my 120v outlet. Total cost of under 10 bucks according to him.

I'm pretty sure that this can't be up to code. Any thoughts?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I need a manual transfer switch for my home generator. I also have an old style fuse box and may as well get a new breaker box installed while I'm at it and I think there's breaker boxes with the transfer switch built in, right?

Ideally I'd have a new breaker box that I can switch any individual circuit to the generator as needed and perhaps a watt meter so I know when I'm hitting the limit of the generator.

Any recommendations?