Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I need to replace some failed florescent ballasts at work. We have T12 lamps everywhere that I would like to stay compatible with if possible.

What specs are import when selecting a ballast? I know the power company would like me to have a high power factor, but does ballast factor or power factor matter to me?

I've read that T8 lamps are becoming more common than T12. Supposedly better light quality and more efficient. Is that related to the ballast tech, lamp, or both? Is it possible to buy a ballast that supports T8 and T12 and gradually move to T8? (Are the connectors even the same?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Nemico posted:

T8 and T12 are completely incompatible. The connectors (trade name is a Tombstone) are different, and the ballasts only run one or the other.

If you bring the ballast along with you to the store/wholesaler, that would be the best, but you can get replacements easily with just the specs. Voltage (probably 120), number of lamps in the fixture, and is it T8 or T12. All of the ballasts I sell are High Power Factor by default, but if you're concerned, it is clearly marked on the label. Getting a replacement ballast is super easy. I have 8 different kinds about twenty feet away from me right now.

T12 fixtures and lamps are getting phased out in favor of T8 and T5. They might even be banned completely.

Thanks.

How large are the efficiency differences? Is it really so large that banning T12s is on the table? I might consider just switching to T8 for some of the fixtures if they use 50% as much power per lumen or something like that.

The existing ballast is labeled rapid start, 120V, 2 F40T12 lamps. "Advanced Transformer R-2S24-1-TP".

How much money is a decent ballast? Is http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/3163/BH-E240RS120MC.html or http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/57919/BA-ICN2S40N35.html a good choice? Or should I expect to pay more than $13 each?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Nemico posted:

You want either that Howard brand one you linked, or this Advance one.

I can't tell you the numbers comparing T8 and T12. I'm sure some googling is all you need to find out for yourself.

Is there something wrong with the Advance model I posted? Is ability to operate at 120 or 277V the problem? Start temp?

I thought you might know about the efficiency differences since you said you sell them. From what I can tell, T12s are around 55 lumen/W and the T8s are around 95 lumen/W. So not quite 50% but getting close.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yes, you can do that without hurting the meter. Very little current flows into the voltmeter.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

What do I need to do/have on the AC side of a permanent in-car inverter system to make it quality and safe? I'd like to have a couple outlets available for passengers and a couple in the cargo area.

I think I'd want a fuse on the DC side and breakers on the AC side. What does the AC earth connect to? Do any xFCI devices work?

Eventually I'd want to have a way to connect to shore power. Thoughts on doing that by charging the battery vs bypassing the inverter and connecting shore ac to car ac? The former seems a lot simpler if the efficiency and power limits aren't a problem.

e: do I need conduit or some kind of enclosure for the AC runs?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I believe inverters for RVs and boats or industrial inverters are available with terminals instead of outlets. I can look into that more today but for now we can assume this won't have an extension cord.

e: quick example:

taqueso fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 22, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

You could run a 48VDC bus through your house and avoid some conversion losses but its going to be a lot of effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Did you buy a "Smoke Alarm" or a "Smoke, Alarm"?