Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forestboy
Aug 30, 2005

grover posted:

Lowes/Home Depot is fine for this stuff. You might have to go to a specialty electrical supplier for the #6-3 NM (for a 60A panel; larger for a larger panel), but everything else is readily available in the big box. They may even have this at HD (the ones near me have a motorized rack with all sorts of cable), but you'll have to ask. It's really not a big deal to hit up an electrical supply house for bits of cable. BTW, do yourself a favor, and wire up the new panel as 240V.

The Home Depot near me didn't have any 6-3 NM, but Menard's had a supply of it. If you happen to live in the handful of states where Menard's operates, I'd recommend giving it a try. They tended to be a little cheaper on all of the wire I've needed to buy so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forestboy
Aug 30, 2005

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

The new instant-starts are substantially like incandescents.

I find that temperature still plays a part - the colder they are the dimmer they seem to start out and the longer it takes to "warm up" to full brightness. Which is annoying as I keep my house awfully cold in winter.