Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have a shoulder deformity and my girlfriend likes dressing up like a gypsy and belly dancing. If you can act like either a sexually repressed priest or a dashing but immoral military officer, we could get something going here.

Edit - road without gloves yesterday and I was distracted by all those stories of only wrecking the one time gear is discarded. Kinda Self fulfilling, yeah?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Carth Dookie posted:

I'm going to find the women in your life and make this happen now. It has to be done.

Ooh!! Ooh! Do me! I broke my clavicle once could you do this? You will have to find some women for my life first, though.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Coydog posted:

Ooh!! Ooh! Do me! I broke my clavicle once could you do this? You will have to find some women for my life first, though.

I may live the pimp lifestyle, but I'm not in fact a pimp so no.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You are entitled to full cost needed to make the bike whole again, regardless of what you do or don’t do to repair it.

Now back to your normal kinkscene.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Edit - road without gloves yesterday and I was distracted by all those stories of only wrecking the one time gear is discarded. Kinda Self fulfilling, yeah?

It really does make me more awkward at riding just because I'm less confident and it feels off to not have gear on. Also, even if I'm completely squidding it up, I have to have gloves on because the muscle memory is off without them.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
I don’t get it when I see people here in Cali doing 60+ in a tank top and shorts. Riding in anything but full gear feels downright unpleasant from wind/bugs/dust alone.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Squirrel Burger posted:

I don’t get it when I see people here in Cali doing 60+ in a tank top and shorts. Riding in anything but full gear feels downright unpleasant from wind/bugs/dust alone.

feel the FREEDOM

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Squirrel Burger posted:

Same but Ontario. On 400 series highways.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Frosty- posted:

I went to the doctor and got a phone snap of the cool X-ray:

Doc says it should heal fine and I won't have diminished range of movement or anything, but it might look a little funny compared to my other shoulder. I'm just going to go easy on it and keep wearing the sling until I have zero discomfort.

Insurance guy came and looked at the bike and they already deposited $500 in my bank account, so I guess they've estimated the damage at right about $1000, which isn't too bad. This process is kind of stupid, though, since it hasn't been to a shop yet, so there's like some weird supplemental procedure for getting more money in case it costs more. I'm not thrilled about it, because I was hoping to not involve the seriously shady and neglectful dealership where I bought it, at all.

I'm super glad I went for the $500 deductible instead of $1000. Would have been stupid to save pennies on payments only to get jack for actually crashing.

Wow that looks exactly like my xray from my wreck this summer. Diagnosis was AC joint separation grade 2. Definitely ask for physical therapy. My GP was ready to let me chill in a sling and told me it would heal up in about 6 weeks. PT said sling would lead to the shoulder joint freezing up, and that I should expect 6 months minimum before it wasn't causing me discomfort. Over the course of a couple months, the PT laid out a regimen of stretches, then exercises to get my mobility back and start to strengthen the weakened joint. Without exercises, it's also likely I'll re-injure that shoulder in the future. He also cautioned me not to overdo it, as that would slow healing and leave the joint more prone to re-injury. If worst comes to worst, and you can't get physical therapy let me know and I'll share what I was told to do.

Also, it's coming up on 4 months and the shoulder still loving sucks. I can't really see the asymmetry, but I can feel it. Reaching across for the seatbelt is torture every day, and I still can't sleep on that side at all. Every day, whether it's putting on a shirt, pulling stuff down off shelves, playing with my kids or just random whatever I'm still subjected to random stabs of pain there. I'm an old beardo goon tho so I don't heal as fast as I used to. Hopefully you have a better time of it.

MonkeyHate fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 5, 2017

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
Oh and also sorry for the double-post but I just had my THIRD wreck of this year on the DRZ.

It's Friday, and I'm getting ready to get the gently caress out of work and go home for a much deserved weekend of fun and relaxation. I can already taste the beer and my family's love and also mostly the beer. But here's what I didn't know:

There's been a daytime game at the stadium next to my office.
It just let out.
Drunks are out on the road in force.

I put on all my gear (thank goodness)...
hop on the bike, which at this point is still sporting knobbies...
race out of my parking spot and up the garage ramp...
stand up on the pegs and lean forward - to put my body that much closer to home...
exit the garage into the rain-soaked near freezing street...
lean into the turn to get home...
twist the poo poo out of the throttle - to get home faster...
and lowside the gently caress out of my bike in front of three buildings' worth of judgmental co-workers waiting there for the bus.

The only damage was to my ego, but it really took an extra hard hit since my boot got stuck under my rear rack and it took me forever to wriggle free under the weight of my coworkers' disapproving stares before I could awkwardly pick up the bike and GTFO. Also everybody knows me and everybody knows my bike so there's no avoiding those conversations.

In my defense, I've only been riding every day for like the last ten years so how would I have known not to goose the throttle while turning sharply while putting my weight over the front wheel while the road was slippery?

Edit: What I hope you learn from my mistake: Leave work early on Fridays so there will be fewer witnesses to your dip-shittery.

MonkeyHate fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 5, 2017

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sounds like you had your mind on anything except what you were doing. Lucky you didn't get hurt.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
For every conversation about it just ask if they enjoyed your art and leave it at that.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

MonkeyHate posted:

If worst comes to worst, and you can't get physical therapy let me know and I'll share what I was told to do.
I'm definitely not going to have any physical therapy, but I'm all ears as far as what you know and think might be helpful to share.

quote:

I'm an old beardo goon tho so I don't heal as fast as I used to. Hopefully you have a better time of it.
It's been however long it's been and the shoulder bump is enormous, but I really have almost no pain, there is no restriction in movement (but there is shifting and clicking of stuff moving around in there, although it is still lessening, so I can hope it'll stop that soon). It's not affecting my work or my sleep, so I think I've been lucky enough to heal without any permanent problems cropping up.

The insurance company has decided to total the bike. Reportedly, the fork stops are broken, and the dealership says the forks are bent, too, and all the parts and especially the labor for that add up to something like $6600. So that's the end of my FZ07.

Adding up all the costs of this is pretty shocking; I got hit for a little over 25% of my gross yearly income. I've tried to estimate what the payout from the insurance company will be, and I've come up with something like 800 dollars, which means it's not likely I'll be able to afford a replacement. I'm back down to my decrepit Ninja 250 and my CBR600RR, neither of which is really appropriate to take over for the Yamaha.

In other news, the ~25 days I was away from work severely jeopardized my job, and I have gone from being an essential team member to a completely marginalized pity case who is only kept around because it would be very mean to fire me. Now, I simply do work of zero importance for almost no hours a week.

What I've learned:

Unless the puddle of blood you're lying in is extremely large, refuse ambulance transportation, as well as any form of hospitalization, or clinic attention. At no point since my crash has a medical person done anything other than look at me and tell me I'll be fine, that'll be $600, please.

Bike insurance is required by law, but the law doesn't require you to have confidence in that insurance. Plan as though you do not have any, because you will be surprised how much you end up losing, anyway.

Do not trust police to be helpful in any way. If they take your AAA card and tell you they are going to call AAA, they are lying; you will pay the $300 towing/storage fee to the shadiest garage in town. Ignore the ambulance people some other fuckhead called even though you didn't want them, ignore the cop dipshit badgering you for information, and call AAA or anyone else you need to call, yourself.

Actually, I guess it can all be summed up as: Have no faith in anything, trust no one. Oh well, I should have known better in the first place.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Frosty- posted:

Actually, I guess it can all be summed up as: Have no faith in anything, trust no one. Oh well, I should have known better in the first place.

This should be taught in grade school

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
I dunno about where you live, but here there's a separate Accident Towing Authority that are the only people legally allowed to tow a vehicle from the scene of an accident. I didn't realise this when I called the RAA (Australian AAA equivalent), who I have a membership with and access to free towing, and they forwarded me on to the authority not telling me it would cost $400 for the tow when it got there.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Frosty- posted:

Unless the puddle of blood you're lying in is extremely large, refuse ambulance transportation, as well as any form of hospitalization, or clinic attention. At no point since my crash has a medical person done anything other than look at me and tell me I'll be fine, that'll be $600, please.

:911::911::911:

Never gets old.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

prukinski posted:

:911::911::911:

Never gets old.

Yeah. I didn't want to be the one to say it.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

So like, america and freedom and all, but what the gently caress are you doing riding a motorcycle if you don't have any worthwhile medical insurance.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I have Obamacare so I never leave the house.

Nah tho, if I get in a bad accident where I rack up a lot of medical bills my long term plan is to not pay them.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

So like, america and freedom and all, but what the gently caress are you doing riding a motorcycle if you don't have any worthwhile medical insurance.

lol go to denver, bandanas count as helmets and ripped sleeve denim vests are the most safety gear you will ever see. i'm going to extrapolate this and say people ride like this throughout most of the US

nsaP posted:

I have Obamacare so I never leave the house.

Nah tho, if I get in a bad accident where I rack up a lot of medical bills my long term plan is to not pay them.

this is actually a good option if you don't have insurance and hospitals will take this into account and change your fees or just forgive them. based purely on personal experience

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 21, 2017

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah, either that or they eventually sell you off to a collection agency who you then negotiate with.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All you need to do is stave off the collection agency until either capitalism or US society collapses.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
There is literally no way that this is Frosty's fault. There aren't all sorts of relatively cheap insurance options you can take onto your moto policy to cover additional medical expenses. It's especially important if your job requires anything beyond diddling the keyboard.

America does a lot of stupid poo poo, but whining about the totally foreseeable consequences of a pretty minor motorcycle crash is stupid. If you can't deal with the consequences financially you should consider walking.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
No poo poo, it’s kind of poor form to blame the individual American consumer for how hosed our health care is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The system is hosed, but you can buy poo poo like personal injury protection on your insurance policy that can cover lots of that poo poo.
https://www.dmv.org/insurance/personal-injury-protection-insurance-for-motorcyclists.php

• Locked thread