Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
This is the crash thread. The purpose of this thread is for us to go over our get offs. We can review what went wrong, get advice on how to avoid it in the future, and let our fellow riders know what gear works and what to avoid.

Do:
Post crash reports
Post pics of damage to your gear and your ride
Post pics of damage to yourself (if it's exceptionally gruesome tag it NSFW and link it)
Give constructive advice
Go over what went wrong and how you can avoid it next time

Don't:
Start with the dick waving (we get it, your better then us, move on and keep your smart rear end comments to yourself)
Post crash pics you, or someone you know personally, weren't involved in (this is about first hand experience, not a contest on who can find the most gruesome pics from rotten or ridetodie)
Be a prick (if you're giving advice be friendly about it, if your being criticized be gracious about it)

Basically let's try to keep this a friendly learning resource.

Now on with the show:

Situation
This morning I had my first accident. It was a low speed highside, about 20 miles an hour. I was scanning off to the sides as I went through an intersection and making sure the car in the left turn lane wasn't going to intrude into my path of travel. During this I failed to notice that the truck in front of me had come up short, and I went into a hard brake. I began to pulse both breaks to notify the driver behind me to start slowing down, and managed to lock the rear. Physics, being what it is, meant that when I went for the next pulse and released my rear the bike went all sorts of nuts on me. The rear fishtailed, I over compensated on the fronts and over I went.

Damage Report
(Note: this is a repost from the gear thread, Z3n suggested making a crash thread, and since I'm probably the most recent crashee on the forums...)

Teknic Chicane jacket: Scuffed up one sleeve, and the right shoulder badges are no longer pretty, all the stitching seems to have held. No damage to my arms or torso. Verdict: Jacket still usable as is.

Teknic Chicane gloves: Scuffed up one palm, leather still nice and thick there, just not pretty. Tore the Velcro strip from the leather backing on one glove, will need to be restitched. My left palm is a little sore but no rashing or bruising on me.
Verdict: Will be serviceable after I run it through a sewing machine a bit.

Vega Nitro boots: The right boot will never be pretty again, but my feet, ankles, and calves are fine.
Verdict: Best $50 piece of footwear ever.

Firstgear HT Air over pants: Just my luck, I completely missed the textile patches and landed (and subsequently dragged) one of the mesh panels. Except for where it took a direct hit all the stitching held. The bottom zipper on the right leg will probably need to be repaired/replaced but I zipped them back up once I got into campus. Only the top mesh layer took any damage, the underlaying cordura portion seems fine. I'm going to stitch a couple of heavy duty denim or textile panels over the two small holes in the mesh. However the right knee pad either slid or is just too thin because my knee is really stiff right now. Of course I just fell of a loving motorcycle so that shouldn't really surprise me.
Verdict: Needs minor repair, but will otherwise be serviceable.

HJC CL-SP: This is why you buy a full face helmet. I nailed the chin bar pretty good. No visible damage but there's no reason to risk my melon on it being able to take two in a row. If this was a nice helmet I would consider having it x-rayed to for damage. But at $80 I'm ordering a new one next paycheck. Minor scuffing on the visor, which I plan on reusing. If it wasn't for this lid, well I'd probably still be alive, but I would have probably broken my jaw, lost consciousness, and poo poo teeth for a week.
Verdict: After today this is relegated to my training helmet.

1982 CB750SC: The bad news is I think the bike is now technically totaled. I think I damaged the odo in a crash, which out hear means the vehicle would be written off in a claim. However as this was a single vehicle crash there will be no claim filed, and as I'm planing on running this thing into the ground, resale value is no concern.

The worst of the damage was to the instrument bezel. I need to replace the glass over the odo(s), and the plastic bezel around all the instrumentation. All indicators (both on the panel and on the bike itself) still work fine. I lost one reflector, banged up the headlight bezel, and scuffed the transmission cover. And... that's it. Everything that normally breaks in a crash like pegs, levers, mirrors, etc. is completely fine. I'm out a hundred bucks for aesthetic pieces and a new key (which got bent when it cleaved the hell through the bottom of the instrument panel) but it could have been much worse.

Conclusion and Lessons Learned
The bike got limped home this afternoon and will be out of commission for a few weeks. The instrument panel needs to be repaired, and I'm replacing the front pads and rear shoes, which I should have done as soon as I got the bike. I'm also going to use this down time to replace cables, re-shim valves, and pick up a copy of proficient motorcycling (again something I should have done a while ago).

In the future I need to be more aware of closing distances. Further more on the next bike I get, and every machine after it, I'm going through and replacing brakes and cables. I can't really blame the bike for this, but if I was more confident in the breaks I could probably have brought it to an ugly (but upright) stop. Also I need to forget everything about riding a pedal-bike and trying to put a foot down during an emergency stop.

Once the bike is road worthy again it's time to find an empty parking lot and drill emergency stops and swerves into me.

I'm pissed off at myself for not handling the situation to the best of my ability but I'm choosing to look at this as learning experience. This could have been so much worse it's not even funny; but any crash you can walk away from is a good one, and any crash you can drive away from is a great one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Just read your mini report in the gear thread. Glad you're ok and the bike is still in serviceable shape, seems like almost best possible outcome for having a crash.

EDIT: BTW I love the USPS Mail carrier on the back.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Again, I'm glad you are ok and the gear worked out. Great thread idea, although I hope there aren't too many posts. If you need a hand while you are repairing the bike let me know, I'm just down the road.

Proficient Motorcycling is a great read. People take a lot for granted while driving and the book is written specifically for riding safe on the street giving the reader lots of tips for being safe and smart. It really is a must read, highly recommended.

jdonz fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 5, 2009

anuj
Oct 14, 2005

~anime crew~
~R.I.P. Soap-san~
Good to hear you're okay.

Back in October 06 I had my brand new Ninja 500 for all of three months. I took it over to my friend's house to show it to her and her boyfriend. I joined the main road next to her subdivision, and was bringing the bike up to the speed limit when a goddamn dog runs across the street. I put on the brakes, and missed the dog by a good 40 feet.

Unfortunately, I hit the brakes over a pile of leaves on top of a puddle. The handlebars started vibrating, and I went rear end over teakettle at around 30mph. Skid along the ground for about 20-30 feet according to my friend, ripping off the front right turn signal, breaking a piece off the front brake lever, and straight up breaking the front fairing in three places.

I was a dumb loving idiot back then, wearing little in the way of protective gear outside of my helmet/jacket/gloves. I realized soon after how close I came to dying. My cheapass jacket got the right arm ripped off, leaving a good portion of my skin along the road. My jeans got ripped to poo poo on the right side, tearing off chunks of my skin that are still partially visible almost 2.5 years later.

My helmet (HJC CL-14) got a good bit of scuffing on the right side, leading me to realize that my head was probably dragged along the ground for a decent distance.

I got up after the crash, collected the pieces, and according to my friends I calmly walked back to them and got patched up. The bandages only lasted about ten minutes until they were crimson and falling off.

I had to ride home because I didn't think I'd need a trip to the hospital. When I tried getting on the bike, I had to cut off part of my jeans so that it wouldn't get caught up in anything. I can only imagine what people thought when they saw me that day, with 75% of my original pants and bleeding all over the loving highway.

I wish I could go back in time and slap myself for not wearing better gear, not going to the hospital, and then for some reason riding 10 miles while bleeding.

To add some positive though, I had that crash when I had 300 miles under my belt. I put another 8000 on it before selling it, and I got 1000 on my new bike without any problems.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Here's mine. I wish people would stop posting threads about crashing or almost crashing though. I'm starting to get all :smith: about bikes lately.

Saturday, April 5, 2008
Well I feel like an idiot. I lowsided my SV on Palomar today. Ran the front end into the guardrail post, turned the front rim from an O to a Q, and bent the forks. Everything rear of the handlebars looks okay, except the rear brake lever, which somehow got twisted despite me going down on the left.

I'm not sure entirely what went wrong. I think I was expecting the turn to end sooner than it did, and I wasn't looking through as much as I should have. I think as I realized I was going wide, I started watching the white line instead of looking through and leaning more. I did hit the brakes, I'm not sure if that washed the front out or what, because I thought I stood it up before I did.

Anyway, the good news is that conditions couldn't have been any better for the crash. I might have a tiny bruise on my right shin, but otherwise I'm 100% fine. There's not a scratch on my helmet, gloves are solid, and I put a little bitty hole in the knee of THE PHANTOM.

Just as I was starting to get nowhere trying to talk to the insurance people with bad reception and a dead battery, two guys in a truck came by and offered to give me and the bike a lift. Turns out the one dude had a flat on his DR400 supermoto and had to call his buddy in the truck, they saw me on the way down and said, "Hey, room for one more." Insurance lady managed to convey that someone would get in touch with me on Monday, so I hopped in the truck and chilled. I wish I could have bought those guys a case of beer or something, but I had to get home in a hurry, and didn't have any cash on me. Oh well. Pay it forward I guess.

Last moments:

Looking back through the turn:

On the horn with insurance, you can just barely see the skidmarks in the dirt:

The damage:

I let the insurance company take the bike. The amount they were willing to sell it to me for wasn't worth it, given that I'd have a bike with a salvage title in need of a new front end. I bought another 2002 SV, see above.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
http://www.practicalalchemy.org/~nerobro/public/greg/

Welcome to mine.

It was roughly a 50mph getoff. I went wide on the exit of a corner, touched gravel, and that's all she wrote.

I saw sky three times, and when I came to a stop, I had broken my radius, and ulna on my right arm, and the humorous on my left arm. My gear did it's job. Taking nearly all of the damage. I ended up with a small scratch on my knee, forarm, and palm.

Bike was fine. ... ish. Everything cosmetic was shot. But the bike started, ran, and actually drove itself back to the county mounties house. Who stored it for me till Skreemer could retrieve it.

It's 3:30am. I'll add more later.

I don't have any great pictures of my second wreck.

Here's some x-rays. I'll post pictures of my hardware later.
http://www.practicalalchemy.org/~nerobro/public/Pictures/ElbowXrays/

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Oh no, not that sweet GS. I didn't realize it got wrecked. I'm glad you're okay but how did the bike fare?

ablank
Jan 31, 2004
Well, here is my getoff
It happened between Deals Gap and the Skyway.

I was riding with Silver and Squishy Buddha. We'd been cooking down the Skyway got to the end stopped for fuel, food, water and a quick rest then cut over to the Dragon. I was a bit tired, but it was early in the day and wanted to get some miles in. I was ridding in the middle and following Squishy, we were going a bit quick, but staying close to the speed limit. At one point Squishy was dragging his foot through a turn motard style, and without thinking I did the same thing, at this point I should have realized I was riding on auto pilot, just mimicking his line and movements.

A turn or two later, I target fixated on the end of a guard rail on the right side of a left hand turn. I was about half way through the lane doing about 70mph when I realized what was going on, got as far off the bike as I could, went full throttle and tried to tighten up the turn. The road had no shoulder and the rear tire slid off and lowsided, the rear tire came back up on to the road and high sided the bike. At this point I could see the sky, the bike, black, road, sky, bike repeat. Somehow when the bike high sided it got in front of me and I was tumbling along behind. Luckily there was no traffic on this two lane back road. Laying on my face I put my hands down to get up only to jam my finger as I was sliding down the road still. One I finally stopped moving I looked left and right, saw the bike on fire and Silver coming through the turn with his eyes as wide as saucers. We put the fire out, and then realized I shouldn't be moving, I laid down in the grass and slowly my gear was removed to check for damage. I was lucky, jammed pinky and a quarter sized bit of rash on my left shoulder from the jacket shifting

So any way, pics

Bike

me

RF1000 Most of the damage was to the back and right side

Looking out from the exit of the turn, the skid marks coming in from the middle are my tires before the highside

Looking back at the turn and the guardrail of my near doom

Gear Pics

Also busted a zipper on the jacket and some stitching on my A* boots.

bike was a write off, the fire took out the main harness, the clutch cover was destroyed, all controls broken, exhaust bent, subframe bent, forks bent, new chain, sprockets and tires were all that weren't too bad. Every piece of plastic that had just been replaced was either rashed worse than before it was replaced or burnt/cracked. Luckily it was a salvage when I got it 20,000 miles before this happened.

What I learned: If you're riding without actively thinking about what you are doing get off the bike and rest. Even if it's only been 100 miles, changes in altitude and riding style can wear you out faster than you think. I don't feel that I was riding out side of my comfort zone, I just wasn't thinking about the ride I was on and didn't have the focus required for riding.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

8ender posted:

Oh no, not that sweet GS. I didn't realize it got wrecked. I'm glad you're okay but how did the bike fare?

The '80GS550 was bent and rashed and needed quite a bit of TLC. New gas tank, new bars, new headlight bucket and ring, new left side pegs, and the buffing of some aluminum bits were required...

That winter though with some help from me doing the heavy lifting and breaking poo poo off, it was rebuilt into the GS550/650 hybrid that it is now.

If you look at the pics on Greg's crash page you'll see:
The blue and white '83 GS550E up front is mine.

The Toys For Tots run in 2006 I decided it would be a good idea to up and pitch the bike down I-290 about 2 miles from the exit we needed to get off at. We were riding, all was going well, then it started snowing. Then it started snowing harder as in Nerobro was only about 150 feet in front of me and the snow was covering his trail on the high way. The vehicles in front of us hit the brakes and so did I... the front ones...bad idea. Front wheel immediately locked and snapped to the left and pitched over to the same side. On the way down I managed to pile my chest into the stalk(no bars) and fracture a rib.

Total damage to the bike was a small dent in the tank and I snapped the clutch lever. I was wearing full gear at the time and the only piece that looks like it met pavement was the left shoulder on my Teknic touring jacket. I just scuffed up the pretty patches. Over the years it's developed a small hole on that side.

Lesson learned: When you know you won't have traction (any type of slick condition) don't grab a handful of the front brake, go 70% rear and 30% front.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 10, 2009

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Skreemer posted:

Lesson learned: When you know you won't have traction (any type of slick condition) don't grab a handful of the front brake, go 70% rear and 30% front.

Go mostly rear and ride it out :clint:

Its nice to see you nursed that bike back to health.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Early summer, dirty back road.

I was riding at a decent pace on Farm Loop road, roughly a mile north of Palmer, cranked over in a 90º right hander turn when the front wheel hit dirt or sand and went out from under me so quickly that I had no time to react. One moment I was upright, the next moment I was sliding on the ground and the bike was sliding away from me.

The loudest sound I remember was the sound a helmet makes scraping over the pavement.

I went down fairly hard on my right side and I cought my elbow between ground and ribs, probably cracked a couple. They sure did hurt, dammit. I ran over to the bike, hit the kill switch, picked the bike up while the adreneline was still flowing. I did ride it home, on the way home I detoured towards Palmer intending to go to the ER and have my ribs checked out but decided not to. Went home, looked up the treatment for broken or cracked ribs and found that unless they were poking through the lungs, the treatment was basically tough it out and try to breath deeply so you don't get pneumonia. Took some ibuprofen, straightened the forks, then rode to the local pre Dust to Dawson BBQ at the Abbey, where I had to endure the ribbing of those who had managed not to crash that morning.

Lesson learned-you can't always see dirt on the pavement, and dragging pegs is best reserved for a controlled environment.

No doubt my decision to skip the trip to the ER will be questioned by many. I'm not going to recommend it for others, but I was able to ride home and to the BBQ, and home again, and given that there isn't much to be done for cracked ribs I figured I was safe. I had longer discomfort from landing on my shoulder in a very low speed off road tipover than the lowside.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Back in the early 2000s when I was a young and stupid man I had a little run in with a pontiac. On a local mountain road here in VA (near skyline drive) forgot where I was on the mountain went in too fast on a turn that gets tighter towards its end as it goes uphill (blind). This road is usually empty so when I crossed the double yellow I didn't freak out but there was a car coming down at the same time. Kaaablloooey!

The reason I am alive and intact is pure dumb luck, I didn't think there was much danger so I was still trying to make the corner and had not stood the bike up, so when I went into the side of the car I was still cranked over and my tires hit the car first, essentially standing the bike up abruptly and tossing my hefty brown rear end over the car and to safety.

I was wearing a dainese jacket, armored pants under my jeans, teknik boots and gloves, pretty much all my gear other than the jacket and gloves was ruined. I suffered a broken bone in my shoulder and a really bruised muscle in my leg.

Got into a wrestling match with a car.

I lost

Really bad

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Here's the thread in all it's glory.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2984973&userid=0&perpage=30&highlight=&pagenumber=1

The helmet had a few scuffs on the side and front, from what I could piece together after the EMTs cut them off, the JR Meteor 4 Jacket and JR Ballistic pants were scuffed up much less than you'd think from the extent of the injuries. The left JR glove was full of blood but little in the way of scuffing. I'm still wearing the Hein Gericke boots, they have a little bit of scuffing but nothing bad.

It's been five and a half months, they took out screws in the tibia around xmas, I'm walking with a limp and the wallet's a few thousand dollars lighter after all the bills.

Still waiting to fix the KLR, it still runs.
F-- Do not recommend wrecking for fun or profit.

On the bright side.
The Dr. said everything looked great on the latest x-rays and took weight restrictions off.
The therapy people were great, they kept pushing me until they ran out of things and had to make up stuff that kind of resembled my work, I'm done with that now. I can one-leg press about 80 or 90 lbs, but a 15 lb leg extension still loving hurts the knee where the cut and added hardware. I'm doing deadlifts, arm curls, tri extensions, dumbbell military presses and benching again and it feels awesome.
I set off a metal detector when I went to pay the fine. Once when going through, then again when walking past it.

To top it off I'm riding from Ohio to Arizona on the EX-500 to see the parents this weekend over the next couple of weeks. I'll post a ride report about it if I get enough pics to justify it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bike: 1987 Ninja 750R (my first motorcycle)

Situation: I was driving along a 2-lane street in the city, at night, made eye contact with a girl stopped at a stop sign. She jumped out in front of me, I'm not sure if she was trying to beat me, or didn't see me, or was drunk or what. I hit her Firebird in the rear quarter panel between the rear wheel and the door. Thankfully it was a convertible and I flipped over the car and bounced/slid quite a ways down the road, and came to rest up a curb and into the grass.

Damage report:

Click here for the full 1152x864 image.

Not too much damage to the jacket, put a few holes in my gloves and jeans. I was very, very sore laying on the couch for the next couple days.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

HNasty posted:

On a local mountain road here in VA (near skyline drive) forgot where I was on the mountain went in too fast on a turn that gets tighter towards its end as it goes uphill (blind).

Let me guess... Rt. 211 near Sperryville. That road is not even worth riding on anymore because so many people dumped their bikes there that the local P.O. are now harrassing any motorcyclist that shows up. :(

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

FunkyJunk posted:

Let me guess... Rt. 211 near Sperryville. That road is not even worth riding on anymore because so many people dumped their bikes there that the local P.O. are now harrassing any motorcyclist that shows up. :(

This was back in 2002 and the it had not gotten crazy yet, this is when cooters restaurant still used to be at the bottom. I haven't been up there in years, I hear stories from all the squids however. This place from 99 to about 01 was pure magic and I miss it.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Well grabbed wreck numero dos today, got t-boned by someone turning left. I had a feeling something would happen too because there was a car turing left in the same direction that I was going and blocking the view of anyone turning left going the other way so I slowed down just in case and she went square into me anyway. Bike needs a new lower fender, right-side mirror and peanut cover (which meant I got to push it about 8 blocks to my apartment).

Oh and I'm fine except a bruise on my back although I do need a new helmet obviously.

Everything should work out, someone called 911 so the cops showed up and I got a report this time, though I would have been fine with like $600 in cash from her.

She's hosed though, no valid license so her car got impounded and her bumper got ripped off almost completely by my footpeg.

loving intersections.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

redscare posted:

loving intersections.

Srsly, roads should just never cross each other ever.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

Well grabbed wreck numero dos today, got t-boned by someone turning left. I had a feeling something would happen too because there was a car turing left in the same direction that I was going and blocking the view of anyone turning left going the other way so I slowed down just in case and she went square into me anyway. Bike needs a new lower fender, right-side mirror and peanut cover (which meant I got to push it about 8 blocks to my apartment).

Oh and I'm fine except a bruise on my back although I do need a new helmet obviously.

Everything should work out, someone called 911 so the cops showed up and I got a report this time, though I would have been fine with like $600 in cash from her.

She's hosed though, no valid license so her car got impounded and her bumper got ripped off almost completely by my footpeg.

loving intersections.

drat dude, glad you're alright.

Does she have insurance? You'll probably end up collecting the full value of the bike if she does, as they total it. Then you can buy it back as a salvage title, fix it up on the cheap, and pocket the extra cash.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

drat dude, glad you're alright.

Does she have insurance? You'll probably end up collecting the full value of the bike if she does, as they total it. Then you can buy it back as a salvage title, fix it up on the cheap, and pocket the extra cash.

I honestly don't see how it would be totaled, the damage to it is pretty minimal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

I honestly don't see how it would be totaled, the damage to it is pretty minimal.

Any scratches to any fairings? If so...replacement. Side cover, fender, and mirror + labor and any fairings that got scratched will total an easy 2k.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Any scratches to any fairings? If so...replacement. Side cover, fender, and mirror + labor and any fairings that got scratched will total an easy 2k.

Well I don't have any lower fairings and all the other ones were already hosed to some degree or another anyway. Only the front fender got busted up in the wreck. I guess I could be all sketchy about it and try to profit but I'd rather just minimize the amount of hassle I have to go through.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

Well I don't have any lower fairings and all the other ones were already hosed to some degree or another anyway. Only the front fender got busted up in the wreck. I guess I could be all sketchy about it and try to profit but I'd rather just minimize the amount of hassle I have to go through.

I'm not saying that you should be all sketchy about it in the slightest. I hate people who ambulance chase...but the fact of the matter is, if an adjuster looks at your bike, it's going be totaled. There pretty much have to be new scratches on the upper and tail fairing, and you also need to get them to pay for gear replacement. You're going to have to go through the hassle anyways, so you may as well get money for the stuff that should be replaced.

Remember...you're not taking the money out of her pocket here or anything, if it's going through insurance, it's their job to pay you out the appropriate amount for damages. In this case, with a BB value of roughly 2k? on your bike, it's a distinct possibility you could end up with the value of your bike + gear costs.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Well I looked at it again this morning and I think you're going to end up being right about it being totaled, the forks look a bit tweaked and, now that I think about it, pushing it back to my apt was harder than it should have been.

In its current state the bike is probably worth $1200 at best and if the forks and any other part of the front end need replacing, well, its curtains for the Fizzer.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
My accident was in December. I left work and made it into the carpool lane on the freeway. I started splitting the lane to avoid the typically awful Los Angeles traffic. I recall going about 35mph. Then my memory stops.

I remember waking up on my back in the middle of the carpool lane. My helmet was off, and someone had stood my bike up on it's kickstand. I remember giving out my wife's phone number, and that the paramedic was British. He said he was also a Triumph rider. I remember going into the CT scan machine. Things came and went for a while. Eventually I was consistently conscious. The hospital released me the next day.

A few days later I was able to contact the officer who responded to the accident. He said no one hit me and, essentially I just fell over. I am not inclined to believe this, though I have no memory at all beyond what I've described.

I assume someone came across the carpool divider - a fairly common occurrence in the South Bay Curve (a rather nasty part of the 405 freeway) and I either locked the wheel or slipped. A witness seems to confirm this, but from the CHP's perspective since no one made contact with my vehicle I am completely at fault. The witness also mentioned I took on the freeway divider with my head.

For a few days after the accident I couldn't type well. I was quick to anger and would muddle my words. All that went away in a week or so.

My insurance company (Markel) took care of all the expenses with no hesitation or increase in rates. DIA motorsports (the mechanic associated with British Customs) took care of the bike and upgraded the living poo poo out of it in the process, at a grand total of no expense.

I've ridden it twice since I got it back.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

OrangeFurious posted:

My accident was in December...

gently caress... you got lucky. I'm glad you're getting over your injuries. Are you getting regular check ups for any occult damage?

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
I had just got my first bike, and had yet to take the MSF. Permit in hand, I was convinced by my boss it was a great idea to go take some twisties. Queue up a blind reducing radius turn and less than 500 miles under my belt, and you can imagine what happened next.

Fortunately, the outside of the turn was a creek bed that was solid mud, and we're talking the really silty stuff that is more like sand. After I straightened out to try and stop (yeah that didn't work out at all) I flew over the handlebars as the bike struck the mud bank, performing what I can only imagine as a flip while also spinning around so that my body was following my head, as I slid a good 18 feet in mud on my back (which I was able to discern after I stood up, and saw the crater). Couldn't have imagined what would have happened if I wasn't wearing ATGATT as well as having a comfy bed of mud to slide in.

However, the soft mud torqued the frame of the bike, totaling it completely as far as repairs went. Insurance took care of it fortunately; kinda wish I had pictures at the site of the crash.

Edit: This was a two years ago, and the worst wreck I've had by far.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
So I had my first crash today. I was riding through the parking lot of the Intel campus in DuPont after riding up from Portland for InfernaLAN. It was dusk, and fairly dark. I'd turned in to the parking lot from an access road, and just about mid-way through the turn, at what I think was about 15 mph, I found myself lying on the ground next to the bike, and I'm fairly certain that the reason was the large patch of pea gravel lying in the middle of the road.

I managed to wreck the 'crash pad' thing on the left of my Teknic Chicane gloves, and tear some really small holes around the pockets of my Olympia Phantom suit. The thick Cordura patch on the left knee also shows a bit of wear, but seems to be intact. I also left a large scuff on my left boot. Fortunately, my helmet seems to be undamaged.

As for the bike, there was some abrasion of material from the clutch lever and bar end, and some scrapes on the fairings and center-stand lever. Other then that, there wasn't really any damage that I could see. All the gas from the float bowls leaked out on to the pavement, though, and I guess it flooded the engine too, since I couldn't get it started until after I'd let the bike sit for a while. I also managed to tear off one of the little buckle-straps on my saddlebags.

All in all, the worst injury here was to my pride, though I suppose I will have to go buy some new gloves and epoxy the buckle-strap back on to my saddle bags, and maybe apply some black paint to my clutch lever and bar end. I'll try to update with pictures after I get home and get my camera.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Situation
Was riding my mom's bicycle at an estimated 20 KPH. Started doing a slalom, nothing crazy, when either I moved it over too fast, or the front brake locked, but whatever happend I got launched off the front left of the bike and came down hard on my shoulder and banged my head (no helmet either, durrr).

Damage report
The pain was excruciating to my shoulder, which had swelled. I also got a bit of road rash. I could barely move the shoulder up and down so I went to the hospital to get it checked out. 4 hours and a few x-rays later I'm told by a douche of a doctor that my collar bone isn't broken but that I have received an AC injury and it will take about 2 weeks for the pain to subside, and a month to heal. Thank god it's not a broken collar bone, but still. :( Also my head doesn't hurt much, either, just a tiny headache that comes and goes.

Gear
I was wearing runners, jeans, 2 shirts and a denim jacket. Nothing was damaged! ;p Not even the jacket where I got road rash. Tough thing it was.

Note to self: Don't be dumb, I guess. And even bicycles can hurt.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I've had a lot of "dumb falls" and two newbie mistake falls which is the first ones, nothing serious but could have been prevented had I been scanning the road better

1st crash: Hadn't ridden a motorcycle in 6 years, got on my [current] bike which was 400 cc's more than the first I ever rode, got scared on a small turn, full throttled it into a pole, breaking my left ulna and cracking the fairings:

http://sepwich.com/sep/bike/100_0438.JPG

1st lowside: Practicing tight turns in a parking lot, leaned over doing about 15mph I dropped the throttle, dropping me and the bike to the ground, scraped up left side of the bike and 2 scars on my left knee

2nd lowside: In a parking lot, circling my friends car I hit a patch of oil I couldn't see because it was dark, 1 scar on my right knee and more scratching of the fairing

3rd lowside: Getting onto the parkway, doing about 30mph into the turn, a shitload of sand strewn across the whole ramp right after the apex. Didn't even have time to say "oh shi-" before I was skidding on the ground. Another scar on my right knee and scraped my new right fairing :(

4th lowside: Green light, box truck in the left turning lane blocking my field of vision for tunring traffic, I slow down to about 10mph because this is a heavy industrial area and I eneded to see if someone was gonna turn in front of me. I finally get the chance to see if someone's tunring, which they are. By the time I see them I'm at the pedestrian crosswalk. I hit my brakes but my front end wipes out on the oil patches that conglomerate at stop lights, dropping me on my left side at about 2mph. Bent shifter and broken foot pedal.

I've been accident free for a while now though so that's a plus.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Geez, man. Were you just wearing jeans/shorts to get all those scars? You'd think after the first, and definitely after the second, you'd get proper riding pants.

Blacksmith
Dec 3, 2004

July 2005
I was buzzing home from work on my 250 Honda Rebel, it was right around dusk, the weather was nice, and it was looking like it was gonna be a nice night. Well I was on a two lane back road large forest on one side, pasture on the other.
Guess what I hit?
A deer, it bounded into the road, and I hit it broad side. I went heavy on the brakes and left some rubber on the road. As best I can tell from the blood spatter on the road and the rubber and gouges in the asphalt I hit the deer, then ran over it.
It was when I ran over it that the bike went down and started dragging me, my pants got caught on the shifter. I got pulled along for a good 30-40 yards till I ended up in a ditch with my bike pinned on top of my leg.
Well what was the damage?
I was fine, front forks on the bike were warped and the frame was shot, helmet, jacket, and gloves were toast. I went out and bought a 30-30 to exact some revenge later that week, but I ended up hitting a couple more deer with my car instead.

Lesson?
Well, remeber this when you are in rural areas, deer and most other wildlife that is gonna run out in front of you are most active at dawn and dusk. Be extra paranoid during those times. I escaped serious damage only due to the gear I was wearing, I wear all my gear at all times.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Click here for the full 801x600 image.

I posted a thread about this wreck a while back, but I don't have archives access.

This is what happened when I was rear-ended by a young woman who was looking at her cell phone and not the road. She never hit the brakes, just drove up over my bike and hit the car I was stopped behind (the SUV in front of that car was waiting for traffic to turn left onto a side street). When I was hit, my bike was stopped well behind where the BMW's rear end is sitting in this photo.

Luckily I was thrown well clear (30+ feet) from the wreck. I walked out of the hospital that night, just had to do 8 weeks of physical therapy for soft tissue damage to my knee. Was wearing full gear EXCEPT I only had jeans on. Other than a banged-up knee I had a strawberry on one of my elbows, that's it.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Jesus...I saw that pic and thought the worst. Good thing you were thrown clear; I hope you got a lot of money from her and then had her arrested. This is exactly why I always stop off to the side of the rear quarter of the car in front of me if I'm not splitting.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

MrZig posted:

Geez, man. Were you just wearing jeans/shorts to get all those scars? You'd think after the first, and definitely after the second, you'd get proper riding pants.

I actually wear all gear besides riding pants. After having so many falls and seeing only my knees get torn up I got into the habit of wearing knee protection but I haven't fallen since. I must say that after 5 falls my cortech gx air jacket has held up extremely well and I still use it to this day. I would buy a new one but part of me likes when people ask how the hell I roughed my jacket up so much.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I remember when I was I think 15 my uncle had just bought an absolutely beat to poo poo suzuki dirt bike. This poor thing was so abused we weren't even sure what kinda of dirtbike it was. The only reason we knew it was a Suzuki was because it had S on the far back left of the seat and I on the far right. So you figure new bike take it home check it out and clean it up.

No this is not how we do things in my family. It cranked and ran fairly well so we took it out to our local (abandoned) motocross track and proceeded to murder it. Fairly basic track couple 5-10 ft jumps a rumble strip with the small 1 ft. hills a few berms nothing special.

So after goofing around with this nifty new toy for about 45 mins I decide it would be awesome to get a timed run in. So uncle grabs the stopwatch I start out in front of the truck and my cousins tail me great fun!

The main strip is a 350-400 ft straight-away to a big berm probably 10 feet tall at it's highest point. I'm thrashing this poor little bike in 5th gear Trying to stay in it's very very tiny power-band. I go to bank for this turn and ride the wall and manage to catch a wonderful rut that I've never seen before after 6 years of riding this track, or so I think. The bike pitches side-ways because I was by then turned fairly well into the corner.

I go flying high side over the top of the berm down the opposite side a good 10-15 feet and slam dead into a tree. A very classic cartoon pose with me having 1 leg and 1 arm on either side of the tree with it square between my legs and against my helmet.

I get up and walk away from the wreck albeit very sore and needing to ice the testy's. It turns out the ancient tired had just shreded and the rim had dug deep into the ground tossing me for a loop. After that I refuse to get on a bike that I dont think is well maintained.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

HNasty posted:

Really bad

Oh so that's what happened to your TT600.

abunchofnumbers
May 31, 2007

Left turn in front of me. I was going 35-50 in a 45 zone. Wouldnt have been so bad but I got flung into 2 poles.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
was this your shoe?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abunchofnumbers
May 31, 2007
yes

• Locked thread