Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
I think they hold up OK but they are much harder than Freespace and require a lot of energy management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I played X-Wing and can't really recommend it - I see why it's beloved and important but it's a chore to play with some really cheap difficulty spikes. Will get around to TIE at some point since it's by all accounts much better

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

How do the Tie Fighter/X Wing games hold up and compare to stuff like Freespace? I’ve been playing some Freespace Open and the game is still tremendous!

They fundamentally do not hold up well. The flight model isn't nearly as good (afterburners are important in space sims), fighting ties is boring because they are made of plywood, perhaps most importantly capital ships do not remotely have the same impact as in FS2.

What the Star Wars games deliver in absolute spades is atmosphere, but even then if it's wasn't Star Wars then FS2 would clearly win out in that arena too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I played X-Wing and can't really recommend it - I see why it's beloved and important but it's a chore to play with some really cheap difficulty spikes. Will get around to TIE at some point since it's by all accounts much better

X-Wing is really rough because it was made first. TIE Fighter has the benefit of learning what worked and didn't from X-Wing and it's a much better game all round.

chaosapiant posted:

How do the Tie Fighter/X Wing games hold up and compare to stuff like Freespace? I’ve been playing some Freespace Open and the game is still tremendous!

If you want something close to Freespace, try X-Wing Alliance.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

"Protect the Medical Frigate? Sounds easy enough..."

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Just play rogue squadron imo

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Just play rogue squadron imo

That's like telling someone to stop playing DCS and just play Ace Combat instead. It's just not the same experience.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

That's like telling someone to stop playing DCS and just play Ace Combat instead. It's just not the same experience.

Youre right, it's a better experience

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Max Wilco posted:

"Protect the Medical Frigate? Sounds easy enough..."

Yeah, all things being equal, the storytelling and mission design in TIE fighter is a revelation. Especially with the voice pack and iMuse.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
If you were to compare them, then Freespace is a better game purely because you are comparing a game from 1993 that pulled off Fully 3D objects to a game from 1999.

Tie Fighter is still one of the best Star Wars games to this day. The options menu has always had an invulnerability cheat that you could use if you loathed playing a Tie Fighter and the only cost was it tanked your score if you care about it.

The moment I got my hands on the Tie Advanced (The answer to the X-Wing) around Episode 4, I shut the cheat off.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fargin Icehole posted:

If you were to compare them, then Freespace is a better game purely because you are comparing a game from 1993 that pulled off Fully 3D objects to a game from 1999.

Tie Fighter is still one of the best Star Wars games to this day. The options menu has always had an invulnerability cheat that you could use if you loathed playing a Tie Fighter and the only cost was it tanked your score if you care about it.

The moment I got my hands on the Tie Advanced (The answer to the X-Wing) around Episode 4, I shut the cheat off.

I actually had to use the invulnerability cheat to get past Battle I Mission 6 because the Assault Gunboat is slow as gently caress and for some reason the mines you have to destroy are overly precise.

Meanwhile in Freespace I'm not allowed to cheat past Playing Judas which decided I failed several times for no other reason than "you got arbitrarily too close gently caress you"

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Angry_Ed posted:

I actually had to use the invulnerability cheat to get past Battle I Mission 6 because the Assault Gunboat is slow as gently caress and for some reason the mines you have to destroy are overly precise.

Meanwhile in Freespace I'm not allowed to cheat past Playing Judas which decided I failed several times for no other reason than "you got arbitrarily too close gently caress you"

To one of the patrols or when the fighters come out of the Lucifer when you approach the docking bay? Because the latter is scripted to happen and you jump out soon after.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OptimusShr posted:

To one of the patrols or when the fighters come out of the Lucifer when you approach the docking bay? Because the latter is scripted to happen and you jump out soon after.

The former

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I finally got my T16000M joystick to work in Dosbox games like Tie Fighter and Wing Commander 1. Needed to unplug my Xbox 360 controller and the throttle for the T160000, and now I can finally experience these DOS games I missed.

For Wing Commander, I immediately put the game on cheat mode because even with a joystick, the game handles terribly and it’s hard to hit anything. Still fun though! And I successfully ran the flight course in Tie Fighter, so that’s cool! I’m pumped about playing these old space games!

Edit/Update: So far between 4 missions of WC1, and the very first "blow up freighter" mission of X-Wing, I FAR prefer X-Wing. I can't believe this game controls as well as it does for a game approaching 30 years old, and I far prefer 3D/polygonal graphics when it comes to space sims. I failed the first mission 3 or 4 times because I was "running out of lasers" without realizing I needed to divert power to and from my engines/shields/weapons to maximize their utility. I also realized on my 4th playthrough of the mission that I had not been using (or even knew I had) torpedos. But man, so far this game is loving kick rear end. I'm playing the Collector's CD '94 version of X-Wing instead of the '98 version, which to my understanding has some balance issues and doesn't use the iMuse music system.

I was 13 when this game came out, and I had my first 486SX/33 computer, and was already playing games like Doom and Heretic, but as I didn't really have internet (I had Prodigy/AOL/Compuserve and actual WWW services cost extra) nor had any magazine subscriptions, I never even knew these games existed until my tastes moved on and I no longer cared. It's pretty cool playing them now.

Does the Wing Commander series go polygonal/3D at any point? I've dabbled in Privateer as well we seen footage of WC3, and it looks like they were still using sprites well through the late 90s. Do those games handle better than WC1 at least? I'd like to burn through them to at least experience them to say I did.

Edit again: While I’m checking out space sims, should I look into the AquaNox games?

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 13, 2020

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

Does the Wing Commander series go polygonal/3D at any point? I've dabbled in Privateer as well we seen footage of WC3, and it looks like they were still using sprites well through the late 90s. Do those games handle better than WC1 at least? I'd like to burn through them to at least experience them to say I did.

I believe Wing Commander: Prophecy is full 3d. My only memories of that though were basically playing the demo at like 15fps on an outdated computer :v:

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer

Angry_Ed posted:

I believe Wing Commander: Prophecy is full 3d. My only memories of that though were basically playing the demo at like 15fps on an outdated computer :v:

It went polygonal at Wing Commander 3, actually.

Edit: well, at Armada, I guess, but does that even really count?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Like drat, just $9.20 for literally all the Homeworld games thanks to that newsletter discount

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lockmat posted:

It went polygonal at Wing Commander 3, actually.

Edit: well, at Armada, I guess, but does that even really count?

Wow...yeah not sure why I thought WC3 and IV were sprite-based. I did play some of WCIV on the PS1 and the low resolution might've tricked me

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 13, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cross-Section posted:

Like drat, just $9.20 for literally all the Homeworld games thanks to that newsletter discount

Best RTS games ever made. All that bundle is missing is a hard copy of the Homeworld manual, which was a favorite toilet read of mine for a decade+. Dammit, now I want a Homeworld novelization.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Best RTS games ever made. All that bundle is missing is a hard copy of the Homeworld manual, which was a favorite toilet read of mine for a decade+. Dammit, now I want a Homeworld novelization.

Still have my copy of that manual. A prized possession.

But I still contend that Myth: The Fallen Lords is the best RTS series.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is the remastered version of HW1 still missing The Ladder and Agnus Dei from the soundtrack? Cause I need that guaranteed tearjerker only Yes can provide.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Wicked Them Beats posted:

But I still contend that Myth: The Fallen Lords is the best RTS series.

hosed up that it's not on GOG. Apparently the rights to the Myth franchise went to Take Two when Microsoft acquired Bungie and they probably have no intention of re-releasing them because they can't monetize the gently caress out of it.

EDIT: It's wild that they can get the rights, put out a lovely sequel and then throw their hands up in the air and wonder why it didn't do well before doing nothing with the franchise for 20 years. Just loving sell the rights to Night Dive, they'll appreciate it.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 14, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

THE BAR posted:

Is the remastered version of HW1 still missing The Ladder and Agnus Dei from the soundtrack? Cause I need that guaranteed tearjerker only Yes can provide.

I don’t think remastered was ever missing Adagio for Strings.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Kibayasu posted:

I don’t think remastered was ever missing Adagio for Strings.

Ah, must've been misinformed, then.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Are the Kingdom Under Fire games any good? Just noticed they're on GOG now and are discounted.

Testekill posted:

hosed up that it's not on GOG. Apparently the rights to the Myth franchise went to Take Two when Microsoft acquired Bungie and they probably have no intention of re-releasing them because they can't monetize the gently caress out of it.

EDIT: It's wild that they can get the rights, put out a lovely sequel and then throw their hands up in the air and wonder why it didn't do well before doing nothing with the franchise for 20 years. Just loving sell the rights to Night Dive, they'll appreciate it.

The inventively named Nordic Warriors came out recently and is probably the closest we'll get to a new Myth game.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1174670/Nordic_Warriors/

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I like them. They're an interesting mix of Total War style RTS and Dynasty Warrior combat with some light RPG elements thrown in. You'll probably want to use a controller since they were originally console exclusives and I never tried out the kb+m controls.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

OptimusShr posted:

I think they hold up OK but they are much harder than Freespace and require a lot of energy management.

One of the reasons Tie Fighter feels more fun than X-Wing is that there's much less energy management, at least at the beginning; so you can slowly ease into the mechanical complexity.

Tie Fighter is also full of atmosphere and great aesthetic touches that were missing from X-Wing. X-Wing Alliance managed to adapt some of that to the rebelllion, but by then the franchise was dying because Rogue Squadron had just come out and the market was moving on.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It's taken me about 8 or 9 tries just to beat the second mission in X-Wing, wtf? These games are loving hard. I tried using those cool menu cheats but apparently they have no use whatsoever as you can't pass the mission when using them. So what good are they? This game is dope as gently caress but drat it's hard!

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Yeah, one of the other reasons TIE Fighter is more fun than X-Wing is that it is not as brutally, punishingly difficult.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Also in tie fighter, you can still pass the mission with cheats, the only cost is your score for that mission is reduced severely.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just hate skipping games in a series. At least it's not just me then. I finished Dark Forces for the first time ever so now I can finally play Star Wars Dark Forces Two Jedi Knight The Sequel because when it came out, my computer couldn't handle it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I can relate. I just started Yakuza 0.

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.

GreenNight posted:

I can relate. I just started Yakuza 0.

You're in good hands. I played Yakuza 0 as my first Yakuza game a few months ago and playing through the games has been one of my favorite game experiences of the last 20 years. I even got a PS4 JUST to play the rest of them and am playing through the remastered collection now.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just wanted to post that there is now a PC gaming megathread for all your posting needs on discussions that don't cleanly fall into any of the storefront threads

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Wizard Whateley posted:

You're in good hands. I played Yakuza 0 as my first Yakuza game a few months ago and playing through the games has been one of my favorite game experiences of the last 20 years. I even got a PS4 JUST to play the rest of them and am playing through the remastered collection now.

I played Yakuza Kiwami first and loved it. Immediately bought Kiwami two and the combat was just... terrible. I think they removed the different fight modes and added ragdolls physics that made characters fly off to the other side of the fight arena whenever you kicked them? I've never submitted a refund request faster.

Yakuza 0 is great, but I'd recommend people play Kiwami first. It's probably quite the downgrade to go from 0 to Kiwami.

Anyway, I see GOG has Night Call for sale. Get Night Call. It's very chill.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Control is also releasing on GOG, for anyone who's interested.

Edit:

pfffff... it releases in two weeks on GOG. :rolleyes:
I guess I'll be playing Wasteland 3 first then.

itry fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 27, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Stupid question: On the Steam page for System Shock 1 Enhanced Edition, it's advertised that there was a source port update. Did the GOG release also get the source port update?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Looks like it. It isn't listed in the Galaxy patch notes but the version matches the updated changelog on the forum thread.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Max Wilco posted:

Stupid question: On the Steam page for System Shock 1 Enhanced Edition, it's advertised that there was a source port update. Did the GOG release also get the source port update?

I just checked on that myself last week; it is on GOG also. I honestly was worried that Steam monopolised it since it was the "source" port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

JustJeff88 posted:

I just checked on that myself last week; it is on GOG also. I honestly was worried that Steam monopolised it since it was the "source" port.
Fortunately in this case it means it was a port based on the original source code, not a port to Valve's Source engine.