Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

GOG also has that GWENT thing too, which might do wonders if made into a humblebundle deal.
What does the company that owns the original Cyberpunk IP, Cyberpunk 2020 feel about the whole deal with GOG & China?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

kirbysuperstar posted:

Having Cyberpunk GOG codes being sold on Humble Store probably would have gotten some marketing out there if..it..weren't for the whole Cyberpunk thing.

Yeah that would probably help a bit but I meant like proper bundles, the buy X games for a dollar kind.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The idea of buying anything through them doesn't feel great right now. First in the sense that I don't want to support them while they're making such lovely decisions. Second in the sense that if they are making these lovely decisions their long term stability is in question.

I don't think GOG will fold overnight or anything. They're just in a downward trajectory and I don't have confidence in the platform.

The reason why I tend to favor GOG over storefronts even like Steam is that I already own the game. They actually have an answer to "what happens to my library if you go bankrupt?". You can launch the game without an additional app as is, so a situation cannot happen like Desura where my copy of Five Nights at Freddy's is forever lost. Even Steam for as prevalent as it is could one day kick the bucket leaving my entire library up in smoke.

Guillermus posted:

How is GOG even in a downward trayectory? Honest curiosity since it has a good client, lots of great DRM-free games and pretty good sales all around.

GOG is Fyre App. CDProjekt is Fyre Festival.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

they made all their money back on the first day

That is completely irrelevant. All the refunds and bad press are gonna have investors shook for years.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s tied very closely to CD who has taken a lot of bad hits lately. I don’t know how financially tied it is but CD stocks plummeted and theu are gonna lose a lot of cash to punk

I bought some shares it owns

They already made a loving fortune off CP2077

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Gaius Marius posted:

That is completely irrelevant. All the refunds and bad press are gonna have investors shook for years.

Maybe. OTOH, gamers have the memories of goldfish and don't usually punish corporations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

Maybe. OTOH, gamers have the memories of goldfish and don't usually punish corporations.

Gamers don't matter, the millions of dollars in investor money and 3-5 years of growth plans that CDPR had riding on CP2077 being as big a critical/commercial success as Witcher 3 do. This has been such a colossal poo poo-show that investors are now suing CD Projekt for misrepresentation, and anything they had lined up for the future has just evaporated.

GOG is probably fine for now because CD Projekt was financially solvent anyway ahead of CP207's launch, but a significant proportion of their income still came from (dwindling) long-tail Witcher 3 sales and CP2077 was supposed to be their next big source of income.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 20, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

Gamers don't matter, the millions of dollars in investor money and 3-5 years of growth plans that CDPR had riding on CP2077 being as big a critical/commercial success as Witcher 3 do. This has been such a colossal poo poo-show that investors are now suing CD Projekt for misrepresentation, and anything they had lined up for the future has just evaporated.

GOG is probably fine for now because CD Projekt was financially solvent anyway ahead of CP207's launch, but a significant proportion of their income still came from (dwindling) long-tail Witcher 3 sales and CP2077 was supposed to be their next big source of income.

I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of senior management are gonna be given the boot, or just 'promoted' out of the way, because this is probably gonna need a few sacrificial lambs if they want to smooth things over with investors.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah they don't break down their revenue streams in their investor reports, but the rate at which their revenue peaks at W3's release and then declines year-on-year strongly implies that unlike Valve, this is a developer with a publishing side-hustle, and not the other way around.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of senior management are gonna be given the boot, or just 'promoted' out of the way, because this is probably gonna need a few sacrificial lambs if they want to smooth things over with investors.

I don't know who's on their board, but if anyone on it has a working brain they'll oust 90% of the C-levels, the Red studio head, and whoever was in charge of engineering, then make a huge show of bringing in new people to run the place. A complete change in leadership is basically the only way they'll regain market trust.

Of course, none of this is going to happen before they crunch everyone to death for another 3-6 months and then fire 20% of their devs just because the money isn't coming in like they expected, probably.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 20, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't know who's on their board, but if anyone on it has a working brain they'll oust 90% of the C-levels, the Red studio head, and whoever was in charge of engineering, then make a huge show of bringing in new people to run the place. A complete change in leadership is basically the only way they'll regain market trust.

Of course, none of this is going to happen before they crunch everyone to death for another 3-6 months and then fire 20% of their devs just because the money isn't coming in like they expected, probably.

True, though the only way to really get through to a company that they have hosed up is through the investors being unhappy, and they are extremely unhappy with CD Project. Even if just for optics, at least one person might be out the door for this. But, as you say, they probably will crunch everyone more and wonder why nothing's getting fixed properly.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

This is from five days ago: Cyberpunk 2077 Debacle Costs Founders $1 Billion of Wealth

quote:

Analysts vary on their assessment of long-lasting consequences for the studio, which is relying heavily on the new title. They agree that the pace of fixing bugs will be crucial for revenue, even as opinions about the PC version look much better. The average forecast for 12-month sales fell to 25.6 million copies from almost 30 million copies expected before the Dec. 10 release, based on nine refreshed estimates collected by Bloomberg News. The stock stopped its free-fall on Tuesday, rising 2.5% at 2:02 p.m. in Warsaw.

Those estimates were adjusted after the poor reception of the console versions and when the bug reports reached critical mass, but before Sony kneecapped CDPR with the delisting and the news of that went mainstream - they'd probably be even lower now.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm going to watch closely for CP2077 PS4 physical copies to plummet and get one so I will be able to play it on PS5 in a year or two patched already. Or end as a collector's item on my shelf.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Okay, hold the gently caress up;

Bloomberg article posted:

Brokers including Morgan Stanley and Barclays Plc are now predicting that a multiplayer component of Cyberpunk, crucial for long-term sales, may take longer to prepare. The studio plans to release a strategy update in the first quarter of 2021.

They were planning to add multiplayer to this trainwreck? :suspense:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, that has been part of the plan for a while.

https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/1169158024482762761

"This project is utterly hosed in all directions" might now be starting to come into focus.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay, hold the gently caress up;

Yeah, they mentioned it a few times but said it'd be a separate thing in like..2022.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ErrEff posted:

"This project is utterly hosed in all directions" might now be starting to come into focus.

At some point the behind-the-scenes stories on working on Cyberpunk are gonna come to light and I imagine they'll make for a fascinating dumpster fire of a read.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nobody's said anything more positive about the Cyberpunk combat other than that it's 'acceptable', right? How on earth do they expect Multiplayer to be a draw?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's better than acceptable. It's not an FPS. Regardless, this multiplayer thing is probably a waste of time. Like the Gwent GaaS thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

itry posted:

It's better than acceptable. It's not an FPS. Regardless, this multiplayer thing is probably a waste of time. Like the Gwent GaaS thing.

It feels like an arbitrarily-added investor dot point, like what happened to a lot of games in the mid-00's where publishers chasing Halo and Gears of War money would tell studios they were required to have multiplayer even if it made no sense within the context of the game itself. Even-odds someone just screamed "GAMES AS A SERVICE MAKE MONEY! :byodood:" in a meeting and expected CDPR would just make it happen somehow

Lemon-Lime posted:

Their endgame was copying GTA Online, which has consistently kept GTA 5 selling for 7 years.

Ahh, that makes sense. Well it's pretty close in quality to how GTA Online was at launch at least :v:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 20, 2020

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Their endgame was copying GTA Online, which has consistently kept GTA 5 selling for 7 years.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It feels like an arbitrarily-added investor dot point, like what happened to a lot of games in the mid-00's where publishers chasing Halo and Gears of War money would tell studios they were required to have multiplayer even if it made no sense within the context of the game itself. Even-odds someone just screamed "GAMES AS A SERVICE MAKE MONEY! :byodood:" in a meeting and expected CDPR would just make it happen somehow

Ahh, that makes sense. Well it's pretty close in quality to how GTA Online was at launch at least :v:.

There was that push 5+ years ago to get rid of fully fledged single player games and make everything a GaaS with some single player fluff attached. Talking about the big publishers obv. I'll try to find some sources, I remember reading/hearing about it around the time Mankind Divided dropped (remember that tacked on Breach mode? Yeah, no one does).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

itry posted:

There was that push 5+ years ago to get rid of fully fledged single player games and make everything a GaaS with some single player fluff attached. Talking about the big publishers obv. I'll try to find some sources, I remember reading/hearing about it around the time Mankind Divided dropped (remember that tacked on Breach mode? Yeah, no one does).

Oh yeah, given the timeframe of Cyberpunk it could've easily gotten wrapped up in that too. This isn't a Cyberpunk thing specifically, but it's kinda neat seeing some of the production-hell projects finally stumble out onto retail shelves in an archaeological way, because it's like looking at one of those arctic core samples with all the layers from previous eras. Here's when this meme was big three years ago. Here's a gameplay component from when everyone was playing a big game centered around it from four years ago, etc, etc...

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

itry posted:

It's better than acceptable. It's not an FPS.

Not much of an RPG either, tho.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
So, what is the recommended way to batch download the offline installers and manuals & extras for your library games on GOG?

On the GOG forums they discuss this open source project:
https://github.com/Twombs/GOGRepo-GUI

which is a GUI that works on top (a modified version) of this script:
https://github.com/eddie3/gogrepo

or this one (which comes from a fork of the previous one and has some extra features):
https://github.com/Kalanyr/gogrepoc

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I just got a random login verification email that someone was attempting to access my GOG account from Russia, which is always fun. Two-factor auth worked, no one has bought 200 copies of Cyberpunk as me and I promptly reset my password so that all seems fine. It still raises some questions.

I haven't logged into or otherwise touched my GOG account in a number of years, but the password was site-unique and stored in a password locker (LastPass) that far as I can tell from my locker access history has not been breeched (I changed my master password anyhow). I know that my email address has leaked out in various hacks over the 20-odd years I've had it but it's really weird that the GOG password leaked. Does an attacker need to know your password to trigger a 2FA email on GOG, or could you do that with just the email?

Also, yes, I sent this question to GOG's support as well, and am eagerly anticipating my form letter detailing their lack of legal responsibility within 3-4 working days.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Xerophyte posted:

Also, yes, I sent this question to GOG's support as well, and am eagerly anticipating my form letter detailing their lack of legal responsibility within 3-4 working days.

Yeah... I get the sarcasm dipping from here, but this is actually serious. For your unique password to have leaked (without them disclosing a serious security beach like that) and probably in plain text form (or basic md5 hashing) is a ridiculous notion, yet it seems like it's the only explanation. Even in a level of incompetence of PHP programmers who can't do basic escaping and have GOG reviews full of lovely parsed HTML entities like & amp; this would take the cake. All the cakes.

There was a rumor of some form of user security breaching in GOG a couple of years back when a ton of people got emails about their accounts being logged in from Russia, Brazil, and whatnot. I remember this resulting in a ton of people learning about (and enabling) the two-factor back then, but yeah, whatever happened never got properly addressed by CD Projekt. Probably from the same school of galaxy brain MBA thinking that did not allow anyone (journalists or otherwise) to see footage of console Cyberpunk 2077 until the game released.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

we need to go back to a better GOG

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I never bothered to check Cyberpunk's price on GOG until now. $72.93, which appears to be a conversion of the €59.99 price tag.

Why is GOG doing regional pricing for a game they're self-publishing? The explanation on the Fair Price Package support article is this:

quote:

Regional pricing is introduced at the request of the company on behalf of which we are selling the game, but we do our best to go the extra mile and make it right for everyone.

I know they discontinued their fair pricing plan last year, but... they are the publisher. Why do I see a $70.99 price when I'm logged out and a $72.93 one when I'm logged in? Super weird.

Meanwhile, Steam is $59.99.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fallom posted:

I bought some shares it owns

They already made a loving fortune off CP2077

Why would you buy their stock? Even at their height they weren’t trading that highly and they are now at a low point that is probably going to get worse before it gets better. If it does

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ErrEff posted:

I never bothered to check Cyberpunk's price on GOG until now. $72.93, which appears to be a conversion of the €59.99 price tag.

Why is GOG doing regional pricing for a game they're self-publishing? The explanation on the Fair Price Package support article is this:

I know they discontinued their fair pricing plan last year, but... they are the publisher. Why do I see a $70.99 price when I'm logged out and a $72.93 one when I'm logged in? Super weird.

Meanwhile, Steam is $59.99.
In my local currency the game is $69.99 (same as on Steam) but if I switch to actual USD it's $78.39 and in EUR it's 64.69 (about $74.39) :iiam:

I think they're doing some weird currency conversions off the local "pretty" price, yeah. The discrepancy of ~$2 is odd unless they're charging you tax (?) once logged in, or they don't detect your computer (for the website price) in the same country your account is using.

IMO it's funny enough the European game is just straight $10 more expensive in Europe, even funnier that also applies to the publisher self-publishing the game on its own digital platform. Local prices on Steam have actually gotten fairer for me for a lot of stuff since they stopped charging us in EUR, but certain publishers like Take2 or Ubisoft are heavily abusing regional pricing on Steam and it's almost never worth it to buy from Steam directly. With GOG it's even worse, I don't know if publishers intentionally give them lovely conditions but I haven't bought a game without heavy discounts on GOG since they ditched the fair pricing stuff.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
The Hexen/Heretic collection is on GOG for $3 US. That made me smile.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Cyberpunk is like 38 bucks in China.

Which is stupid because all I have to do is step out my front door.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Cyberpunk is like 38 bucks in China.

Which is stupid because all I have to do is step out my front door.

If China is Cyberpunk then what is America?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

punk rebel ecks posted:

Desperados 3

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

punk rebel ecks posted:

Shadowrun: Most Boring Edition

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

punk rebel ecks posted:

Paratopic

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

First result on Aliexpress. I think we can all agree, this is both very cyber and punk.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ha, I had one of these years ago. Cute but used button cells for the clock part and AAAs for the color changing backlight, and both drained within weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Looks like junk. Which is par for the course for AliExpress.