Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
Something tells me $10 is a little overpriced considering I can buy Fallout, Fallout 2 and Planescape in one pack at Wal Mart for the same price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Constantine XI posted:

Something tells me $10 is a little overpriced considering I can buy Fallout, Fallout 2 and Planescape in one pack at Wal Mart for the same price.

Then do that, this is for people that can't or who would rather not.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Constantine XI posted:

You should absolutely do that. Copies of PlaneScape go for like fifty motherfuckin' dollars on eBay, last I checked.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Constantine XI posted:

You'd rather support walmart than these cool guys?

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

Drox posted:

You'd rather support walmart than these cool guys?

Seriously. Walmart sucks so much rear end while these guys is like supporting your local business (although they're making millions probably).

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!
Looks like next up in the Tuesday pipeline is Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold. It's pretty much a futuristic Wolfenstein 3D except there's a map and a few other cool features. It's definitely quite the blast and I'll most likely pick it up when I get a chance.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Mr Pepper posted:

Seriously. Walmart sucks so much rear end while these guys is like supporting your local business (although they're making millions probably).

I'll support whoever gives me the best price. And I'm not sure how supporting some website based in...Poland?...is like supporting a local business. I'm not saying it's a bad site or anything. I'd definitely consider buying some titles from them. It's just that given the age of the games and the fact it's download only I feel the DOS titles should be no more than $5 apiece.

Most of the titles are $10 chief.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Constantine XI fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 5, 2009

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Constantine XI posted:

I'll support whoever gives me the best price. And I'm not sure how supporting some website based in...Poland?...is like supporting a local business. I'm not saying it's a bad site or anything. I'd definitely consider buying some titles from them. It's just that given the age of the games and the fact it's download only I feel the DOS titles should be no more than $5 apiece.

$5: A-OK!
$6: gently caress that, I'm going to Wal-Mart

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

The Pantheon posted:

Everyone should buy Messiah right now.

So just how lovely did this game end up being? That game got hyped to poo poo back in the day.

Also I remember Arx Fatalis being kind of boring am I wrong here??

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

Constantine XI posted:

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

In these hard economic times for America's teenagers, one must always focus on low, nay, the LOWEST price, no matter what. Don't factor in a businesses lovely ethics/business practices, it's all about saving a dollar.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Constantine XI posted:

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

54 titles are $6 and 33 titles are $10. There are only a couple of DOS games that are $10.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Has there been any word of the GoG crew supporting Anachronox? I never played it, but it keeps popping up in old PC gaming threads as a pretty cool sci-fi title. Would definitely drop $10 on that.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

SnatchRabbit posted:

Has there been any word of the GoG crew supporting Anachronox? I never played it, but it keeps popping up in old PC gaming threads as a pretty cool sci-fi title. Would definitely drop $10 on that.

No kidding. Anachronox is one of my favorite RPGs, and Tom Hall constantly mentions that if he got the IP rights to Commander Keen and Anachronox, he would make sequels.

But it'll never happen. :(

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Speak to me of Capitalism 2. Are any of you familiar wth it? How is it? I want to know more than their page is saying. So I come to you.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

I as well. I always dug the music, story and characters in that game. I remember the "magic" in the game being kinda awkward though.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Mr Pepper posted:

Someone tell me what the Gothic games are like in terms of gameplay. I really enjoyed the witcher and I've been itching for an RPG to play since then (I guess fallout 3 kind of counts). I've read good things about it, but I've also heard that the game likes to kick you in the balls, teeth, and rear end whenever it can in terms of difficulty.
They're third person RPGs. Similar basic elements to games like Morrowind in that you go around exploring a non-linear world, stealin' poo poo and fighting monsters and doing quests. Gothic 1's got a control scheme that drives most people up the wall, and it remains intentionally hard to use for fighting until you get training in swords or whatever you're using and can chain attacks and movements.

Yodzilla posted:

Also I remember Arx Fatalis being kind of boring am I wrong here??
You're wrong there, maybe if you find any open ended RPG boring you'd find this boring? I found arx a lot more cohesive and tight with the content per space than Oblivion or Morrowind.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I might need to pick up Stonekeep on this, that was a great game back in the day. I'm also looking forward to Warlords Battlecry, I played the crap out of II, so hopefully III is as good.

I'd love it if Bethseda got onboard with this, it'd be fun to play Daggerfall, Battlespire, and Redguard, or to have a working copy of Arena that I don't need to battle dosbox on.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
No Jazz Jackrabbit or Jill of the Jungle. :(

Seriously I was hoping they would have Majesty though.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Do note that you can't base not being in the Coming Soon as it never happening though. If I recall, 3DRealms said not even a year ago that they had no interest in digital distribution on PC, and now as of this month they have unveiled a progressive release of the Apogee catalog. Plus, GoG LOVES surprises, and on occasion out of the blue they just sort of go "hey, you know that game y'all really liked? WELL HERE IT IS!"

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I miss all of those interplay games, holy poo poo. Brings me back to when I had a PC Gamer subscription in like 1995. MDK, Descent 3, FREESPACE (I still have my discs somewhere) :swoon::fh: And gently caress the thief bot from Descent 2; that loving jackass stole my vulcan cannon 3 times in a row once.

Oh my god, Die by the Sword! I loved that game. It was so much fun to dice up kobolds by putting the sword as far down as you could go and run really fast and watch them blow up.

And for those of you that haven't played Giants: Citizen Kabuto, you are really missing out. That game is funny as hell and has so many fun game mechanics (jet packs, casting spells, flying around, gigantic tribes 2-esque mountains, being a huge gently caress-off monster that eats things).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Constantine XI posted:

Ignoring the other debate, the CD versions aren't already setup to work with current hardware. If you have Vista, have fun trying to install and get those games running off the CD, because it's a pain in the rear end.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You sure about that? My original PST copy works without any work in Vista.

Outrespective
Oct 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Constantine XI posted:

If I could find a pack like that anywhere nevermind evil wal-mart, I'd buy it, but I can't so I haven't.

Count yourself fortunate.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Constantine XI posted:

Is the version of the game in Wal Mart optimized for modern PCs?

Edit: I'm slow.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Oh man, I remember playing Jill of the Jungle back in the 90s, that was a fun platformer. I think there was another one by Epic called Xargon that was in a similar vein, that one was a blast too.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

Outrespective posted:

If I could find a pack like that anywhere nevermind evil wal-mart, I'd buy it, but I can't so I haven't.

Count yourself fortunate.

I've got the Planescape pack from Walmart though i've never played it, i'm pretty sure it's only two discs (while the original was something around 4 or 5) because they removed a ton of the movies/spells from the game to make it fit. So i wouldn't consider the Walmart version to be definitive.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Retrograde posted:

I've got the Planescape pack from Walmart though i've never played it, i'm pretty sure it's only two discs (while the original was something around 4 or 5) because they removed a ton of the movies/spells from the game to make it fit. So i wouldn't consider the Walmart version to be definitive.

I heard it's actually just because compression has come a long way between when the game was released and the re-release. By way of comparison, BG2 is a lot bigger than BG1, but is on 4 disks instead of 5. I think if you look at the contents of the disks you'll see folders for CD 1, 2, 3, and 4 on there.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Retrograde posted:

The version of Planescape I have came in some weird rear end dual pack with an adventure game about mummies or something starring Tim Curry. I'm not even joking.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

SixOhSix posted:

Do note that you can't base not being in the Coming Soon as it never happening though. If I recall, 3DRealms said not even a year ago that they had no interest in digital distribution on PC, and now as of this month they have unveiled a progressive release of the Apogee catalog. Plus, GoG LOVES surprises, and on occasion out of the blue they just sort of go "hey, you know that game y'all really liked? WELL HERE IT IS!"

No one dreamed of seeing EA on Steam or Apogee here on GoG. As far as I'm concerned, the sky's the limit now. Anything is possible!

Vidmaster posted:

I heard it's actually just because compression has come a long way between when the game was released and the re-release. By way of comparison, BG2 is a lot bigger than BG1, but is on 4 disks instead of 5. I think if you look at the contents of the disks you'll see folders for CD 1, 2, 3, and 4 on there.

I remember Baldur's Gate + Tales of the Sword Coast being 6 CDs total, and Interplay later re-released all of it as "The Original Saga" on 3 CDs. I don't recall it being any different than the original 6 CD version other than less annoying disc swapping, of course.

vvvvvvv Armed & Dangerous rocks!

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
All that talk about Giants: Citizen Kabuto has made me remember Armed and Dangerous which was made by the same company and played really similar to Giants as well. It was rather short but I really liked the atmosphere and the crazy setting.

Velociraper
Apr 6, 2008

by hoodrow trillson
I can't decide between Fallout, Giants, and Capitalism 2, can someone make the decision for me?

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

Painkiller

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Velociraper posted:

I can't decide between Fallout, Giants, and Capitalism 2, can someone make the decision for me?

Giants. Fallout can wait a little while longer.

Finger Sandwiches
Jul 12, 2000

Perfect for getting that last bit of food from across the table.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It's not on GoG, but Majesty came to Impulse recently, which is another great service. I think it's on gamersgate as well, but I've never tried gamersgate.

Velociraper
Apr 6, 2008

by hoodrow trillson

Charles Martel posted:

Giants. Fallout can wait a little while longer.

Thanks you made the right choice

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Bloodly posted:

Speak to me of Capitalism 2. Are any of you familiar wth it? How is it? I want to know more than their page is saying. So I come to you.

If you like business sims, it's absolutely brilliant. It's a basic 'form your own supercorporation', whether by massive retail presence (You can sell other companies goods in your own stores), primary production (everyone needs iron for steel), or by massive factories (churning out knicknacks for the suckers who'll buy everything). But of course you'll end up doing a bit of all of them, and making a killing by vertical integration. And there's other diversions like investing in real estate (aparment complexes and mansions), advertising, and the usual Wall Street hijinks. It's all sprite based so it hasn't aged that badly, but for the love of god don't listen to the soundtrack more than once. If you've ever enjoyed a business sim, you're probably going to love this. (But I should point out its pretty serious, no usual videogame silliness)

Everyone should buy Capitalism 2 dammit.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Nanpa posted:

Everyone should buy Capitalism 2 dammit.

I have owned Cap 2 for quite some time and I like it. I have to admit that it's one fatal flaw is that the AI blows balls. Now that this is on GoG I was thinking about organizing a multiplayer game or two.

Also, I think it would be cool if the game supported a persistant game world. All you'd have to do is maybe open up the max number of cities some and slow down time a bit and you've have something pretty fun IMO.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The thread reboot got me to buy Fallout Tactics (even though I'm probably years away from getting around to playing it) and ... Pinball.

Mr Pepper posted:

I doubt they're making much money at all. I believe piracy is honestly a massive problem, and I bet they're giving a 50-80% cut to the original publishers.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

The thread reboot got me to buy Fallout Tactics (even though I'm probably years away from getting around to playing it) and ... Pinball.
I doubt they're making much money at all. I believe piracy is honestly a massive problem, and I bet they're giving a 50-80% cut to the original publishers.

They don't just do gog.com, they also made a little game called The Witcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rothgil
May 12, 2008
I've been using the service since closed beta and I loving love it. I just managed to configure my SF4 fightpad on EarthWorm Jim 1,2, and 3d. I love that series. CD-Audio makes the elevator music in What the Heck?! a million times better.