Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SkySteak posted:

A bit of an odd question but is TIE Fighter still a decent game even nowadays or is it more that the power of nostalgia makes itenjoyable?

The former. You still need a joystick but it's one of the best space combat games out there.

About the only annoying things are dodging missiles is hell a lot of the time and if you're flying a standard Tie Fighter or Interceptor you're gonna be dead quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I would say that 'needing a joystick' is utterly false. Both from personal experience(Never owned a joystick, still had plenty of fun) and watching a playthrough on Hard with all objectives done with only Mouse and Keyboard)(So it's not a requirement to succeed in the game).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
X-Wing and TIE Fighter are definitely a bit dated, but they're still really solid experiences.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
For the Windows versions which have the last 7 campaigns you need a joystick because otherwise the game won't run period.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

For the Windows versions which have the last 7 campaigns you need a joystick because otherwise the game won't run period.

You seem to have missed that GOG got the DOS Collector's CD editions a while ago, which include all campaigns. I wouldn't play them with a mouse, but that's at least partially for nostalgia reasons. And yes, they absolutely still hold up.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
The main thing to be prepared for with TIE Fighter is that if you die you have to restart the mission, at worse maybe lose 10 -15 mins progress. This isn't something you'd probably see in a game today but it's not too big a deal if you're up for the challenge. Unfortunately though, especially in the early game, you're flying a riveted together tin can that can take at best 2 hits before exploding.

TIE is much easier than X-Wing though, which I wouldn't recommend for new players (maybe TIE veterans as like a hard-mode option).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I never played them as a kid and tried them recently and they were really not fun

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Tie Fighter is at least pretty unique. I can't really think of a space sim anything like it from a story perspective and even the mechanics have a different take than X-Wing or Alliance.

I'm not sure if its in all the versions, but I seem to recall it has ways to cheat built in if you get frustrated (difficulty, unlimited stuff toggles).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FalloutGod posted:

Well Saints Row 2 runs kind of lovely. I know it was free but it would of been fun to run through the game again.

Did you try installing Gentlemen of the Row and SR2 Powertools?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I never played them as a kid and tried them recently and they were really not fun

I'd say if you have played other old space sims, like Wing Commander and Freespace, and enjoyed them you'll enjoy TIE Fighter. While set in an unrealistic universe, it's still very much a sim in that it's much more tactical than any space games released since Freespace 2 and requires managing your resources.

I did think TIE was the most fun in the beginning, though, when your flying the "regular" ships without shields.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

by "them" he probably means just X-Wing and good golly that thing had a Difficulty Curve even with the standards of 25 years ago

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I'd say if you have played other old space sims, like Wing Commander and Freespace, and enjoyed them you'll enjoy TIE Fighter. While set in an unrealistic universe, it's still very much a sim in that it's much more tactical than any space games released since Freespace 2 and requires managing your resources.

I did think TIE was the most fun in the beginning, though, when your flying the "regular" ships without shields.

I was watching the force awakens last night and when they were stealing the TIE Fighter Poe was explaining to Finn how to switch from lasers, to missiles, to mag pulses. I was triggering remembering that your basic TIE is just lasers and hull. Maybe the third order put some new tech in but still...

That game ruined it for me. Never enough Tie Bombers on screen either.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There are a bunch of the early missions where you're flying a TIE fighter or interceptor specially equipped with missiles (the variant of which you can optionally switch). There's also shielded basic TIEs you fly against, IIRC.

TIE Fighter is much harder than X-Wing if you try to get all the optional objectives each mission. I mean, the Emperor gives you a gold star for that, so how can you not?

For X-Wing, it helps if you copy-paste a bunch of Top Ace pilots to use as wingmen. It's also a matter of your approach; if you expect to win missions on the first try and get frustrated when you have to replay them a few times, then yeah, it's hard. If you treat it like learning the pattern of a boss fight in other games, it's perfectly fine.

(It's not perfectly fine that you have to manually backup your pilot in X-Wing.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TraderStav posted:

I was watching the force awakens last night and when they were stealing the TIE Fighter Poe was explaining to Finn how to switch from lasers, to missiles, to mag pulses. I was triggering remembering that your basic TIE is just lasers and hull. Maybe the third order put some new tech in but still...

That game ruined it for me. Never enough Tie Bombers on screen either.

The TIE that Finn and Poe stole was a Special Forces variant; has the gunner seat and all those other weapons. Pretty sure the regular TIEs are still just lasers. The new ones might have weak shields though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Ah, I was more trying to express the impression that TIE Fighter had on me and the level of detail it dug into it. Love that game. Still have a desire to actually get the same tattoo...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TraderStav posted:

Ah, I was more trying to express the impression that TIE Fighter had on me and the level of detail it dug into it. Love that game. Still have a desire to actually get the same tattoo...

As soon as blacklight UV ink technology gets to the right point, that's the tattoo I'm getting.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

The TIE that Finn and Poe stole was a Special Forces variant; has the gunner seat and all those other weapons. Pretty sure the regular TIEs are still just lasers. The new ones might have weak shields though.

The Tie Fighter line was in the process of being replaced by Interceptors at the time of Endor; mainly because while they were pumping out millions a year and thousands of crack pilots were flying them, they were also losing most of those pilots because they were unshielded crapheaps without missiles (or missile countermeasures).

Pretty much all the special Tie Fighter variants from Tie Fighter are still in the canon thanks to the EA games or the Rebels tv series.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The shields on fighters in the movies never seemed to count for poo poo anyway.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Buca di Bepis posted:

The shields on fighters in the movies never seemed to count for poo poo anyway.

It's because Star Wars fighter battles are pretty much literally WWII fighter battles, and WWII fighters didn't have deflector shields.

The "TIEs have no shields" thing was always more of a "the Empire have a callous disregard for life and are evil" flavour detail than anything else, and didn't matter at all until we started getting Star Wars video and board games/RPGs, where the designers were looking for differences they could design rules around.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

scamtank posted:

by "them" he probably means just X-Wing and good golly that thing had a Difficulty Curve even with the standards of 25 years ago
yeah I played X-Wing for the first time recently and Christ. Think I eventually made it to the end of the second campaign and decided to give up and move on to TIE Fighter.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

for most of my life I didn't realise there was an X-Wing that came before TIE Fighter (I knew and played a little X-Wing vs TIE Fighter) and it wasn't until youtube came along that I discovered it after watching some TIE Fighter videos to sort of scratch an itch since about that time my brother lost the Collector's CD we had had for about 12 years. Even watching those videos I could see that X-Wing is not great for an introduction, the QoL updates in TIE Fighter are just that much better.

Never did do anything with Alliance since I was too caught up with the Rogue games by that point but now that I own all of them thanks to GOG it will be fun to blitz through them

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
TIE fighter isn't Nintendo Hard. At the easier difficulty levels it's rather good arcadey fun.
If you play on hard level and try to be completionist though...there are a few missions that come close to controller-throwing.

The Joystick makes it much more enjoyable; though agreed it's not necessary. Modern ones with lots'o'buttons means you almost never need to touch the keyboard.

XW is just horribly dated; very much a rough prototype. If XW had TIE Fighter's updates (missile selection, subsystem targeting, slightly better graphics, AI, iMuse) it would be a LOT better.

I keep meaning to go back and finish Alliance.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

All this X-Wing/TF talk helped me to remember I wanted to revisit the superior space sim series, Wing Commander.

:laugh:

Followed some guides online and knocked around some early missions in WC1 with Roland sound and my XBOX 360 controller, this is pretty cool.

The Roland stuff sounds good, but I sorta miss the Adlib music and sound - WC was my first Soundblaster game, and that card was the first piece of hardware I ever installed in a PC...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OAquinas posted:

TIE fighter isn't Nintendo Hard. At the easier difficulty levels it's rather good arcadey fun.
If you play on hard level and try to be completionist though...there are a few missions that come close to controller-throwing.

The Joystick makes it much more enjoyable; though agreed it's not necessary. Modern ones with lots'o'buttons means you almost never need to touch the keyboard.

XW is just horribly dated; very much a rough prototype. If XW had TIE Fighter's updates (missile selection, subsystem targeting, slightly better graphics, AI, iMuse) it would be a LOT better.

I keep meaning to go back and finish Alliance.

X-Wing Alliance is mostly good, but when it isn't hoo-boy is it tedious.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
it's the drat robot buddy that drives me nuts everytime I try to play it again

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

hoping with the addition of more classic adventures GOG will be getting Tugs of the Tugster soon

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
If anyone missed the recent Saint's Row 2 giveaway on GOG and would like a copy, I have an extra key available upon request.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/04/ars-gog-free-games-partnership/

Ars Technica is entering some sort of partnership with GOG, and they're doing a Witcher 1 giveaway. If you don't have the game by now, there's 1 day and 19 hours left to claim a key. Just scroll down the page.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Anaxite posted:

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/04/ars-gog-free-games-partnership/

Ars Technica is entering some sort of partnership with GOG, and they're doing a Witcher 1 giveaway. If you don't have the game by now, there's 1 day and 19 hours left to claim a key. Just scroll down the page.

People act like the first Witcher isn't worth playing but gently caress them. The hacked-up NWN engine gameplay is fairly dated (and simple compared to the sequels) but the game has tons of interesting writing and stories and introduces a bunch of characters and concepts you'll see later on in the series. Just get the mod to boost your run speed and you'll negate some of the duller parts of the game.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Party Plane Jones posted:

Pretty much all the special Tie Fighter variants from Tie Fighter are still in the canon thanks to the EA games or the Rebels tv series.

Obviously somebody at Lucasfilm has some familiarity with the game, I love that the TIE Defender and Interdictor cruiser are canon. I just hope that the Z-95, Victory-class Star Destroyer, and TIE Avenger have more of a presence in the Rebels/Rogue 1 timeframe. And also I want to see a Nebulon B-2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bubbacub posted:

Obviously somebody at Lucasfilm has some familiarity with the game, I love that the TIE Defender and Interdictor cruiser are canon. I just hope that the Z-95, Victory-class Star Destroyer, and TIE Avenger have more of a presence in the Rebels/Rogue 1 timeframe. And also I want to see a Nebulon B-2.

The TIE Avenger is actually pretty unlikely, because the "Legends" timeframe had it as a predecessor to the TIE Defender, and those are turning up in Rebels now. Especially when it's generally considered an improvement over everything the Avenger had.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
There's really nothing stopping them from doing the TIE Avenger in Rebels, the Defender isn't that numerous and no political entity shelves every instance of a weaker vehicle immediately just because the newer one shows up.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

There's lot of precedent for keeping older gen vehicles around, both in Star Wars and real life. The rebel keep flying Y-wings all the way through Endor, and there plenty of missions in TIE Fighter where Avengers fly alongside or against Defenders. I figured the omission was mostly because the Avenger isn't very visually distinct from the Interceptor. Although it's not like Star Wars to forgo an opportunity to introduce a vehicle that they can sell toys of. Now that Thrawn is firmly entrenched in the canon, fingers crossed that Admiral Zaarin makes an appearance in Rebels.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I feel like playing Tie Fighter, what's the best verion of the three (1994, 1995, 1998)? I've heard a lot of people rave about the 1995 one, especially for the music, but wasn't the 1998 version the one with the better engine?

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Angry Lobster posted:

I feel like playing Tie Fighter, what's the best verion of the three (1994, 1995, 1998)? I've heard a lot of people rave about the 1995 one, especially for the music, but wasn't the 1998 version the one with the better engine?

It's slightly better, but the game is more than playable with the 1995 version. And the audio really is that much better.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Edit: Disregard.

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 25, 2017

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Gaghskull posted:

It's slightly better, but the game is more than playable with the 1995 version. And the audio really is that much better.

This. The sound in the 1998 one is basically the SW theme, flatly looped. The sound in 1995 is reactive to events--sad chimes when you wingman bites it, music cues when reinforcements or enemies hyperspace in, triumphant music when a capital ship blows or an objective is achieved...it's really a reactive part of the background and with the warp-in cues it helps situational awareness too.

I mean, the 1998 one looks better, no question, but it just feels off.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Has anyone tried he XWA mod that is the Tie Fighter campaign rebuilt in the newer engine?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I have. It... doesn't really work out. It's a straight up conversion but the stats for all the ships and how effective some weapons are differ between the two games. So you end up with a wildly shifting difficulty. In one of the early missions, for example, you're supposed to protect a capital ship from attack. Only it has like half the shield and hull strength in XWA compared to TIE. One other major difference is capital ships are a lot more accurate with their AA fire, since in XWA you only pilot shielded craft. This becomes very frustrating in the early TIE campaign where two hits will kill you.

If you're super good at both games, you may get enjoyment out of it still. Alternatively there are ways to change ship stats. But some gameplay mechanics you can't change, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Airspace posted:

There's really nothing stopping them from doing the TIE Avenger in Rebels, the Defender isn't that numerous and no political entity shelves every instance of a weaker vehicle immediately just because the newer one shows up.

It's gonna be weird, really. Because the Advanced is the production model of Vader's TIE, which was made/modified specially(It had shields because it needed no life support because he already HAS a life support suit). Which would mean that they started production models with extra stuff well before Yavin...and if they'd had that quality, they'd have USED it. You can presume the runs were small, perhaps-I mean the money basically has to be going everywhere in 20 years of reconstructing the military and the Galaxy itself after civil war. But to guard your new superweapon with basic TIES?

Then again, that was the point; they weren't expecting anyone to challenge it with fighters at ALL.

The problems with (re)introducing things when there are fixed things(The films) that can't be messed with....

quote:

to mag pulses

And that's a TIE Fighter reference at that: Mag Pulse warheads. They showed up twice in the campaigns. It showed up as a Rebel tech first and the Empire wanted to learn the tech.
The first time they got some copies but the Rebels came in right after and blew up the station.
The second time Imps got some working copies, but had to use them to escape a trap. Guess they finally figured it out.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 26, 2017